Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

I've always wondered why series end up getting scanlated by like, a bunch of different groups in sequence. Is it burnout? Drama? DMCA notices? Something I didn't think of?

Obviously it varies but in my experience yeah, it's mostly just interest for doing it petering out. It's a loooot of work.

The Colonel posted:

it took five years but i finished wixoss s2 and watched the new scenes in the movie. good poo poo

Some day I will finish wixoss.

I kinda liked it and meant to get back into it after reading some of the pop team epic guy's wixoss manga but just never have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Polsy posted:

https://polsy.org.uk/ani/stats/whoposted1to24.html

now featuring equal ranks for people with the same number of posts and changes from last time

My meteoric rise can't be matched

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

My brother convinced me to get Valheim and I have honestly been enjoying it a ton as a multiplayer game with a group of about 7 of us.

Normally I avoid survival games but this one feels different somehow.

the lack of a forced gameplay loop from needing to eat or the like is apparently a big part of it, though I haven't tried it yet.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

reading that twitter thread felt like a video game audiolog sequence where a character tries to translate some cthulu text and then the last entry is just 'BIG BRUDDER' next to their corpse

What twitter thread?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't sound terribly unnatural or anything, but do people actually ever use the phrase IRL in the US or anything?

In Canada at least I hear "c'est la vie" or "poo poo happens" instead of that, though I can understand why neither of those would be used. :v:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't think I could watch Hellsing Ultimate without the over-the-top accents everyone has. From what I understand the Japanese voice track didn't have anything resembling that.

What I really like is when they go through the effort to make characters multilingual, like in the Japanese track of Full Metal Panic where people were speaking English, Italian or Cantonese depending on the scene setting. It was probably poorly accented but I appreciate the effort. The Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc in Black Lagoon was also really cool with Revy not knowing wtf anyone was saying and for the English dub it would have been better if they kept all the Japanese people speaking Japanese with subtitles, although I understand why they might not want to go that route. It would have made some scenes make more sense like that poor fucker in the bowling alley trying to beg Revy to spare him with his lovely English.

The best part of the Azurlane dub is everyone having accents.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Certainly a huge rear end cast.

Much more top heavy than that, really.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 25, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would you even bother learning to draw otherwise?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The size of boob does not matter, so much as that they are on a waifu you love.

-someone famous, probably

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished river city girls.

A+ art, music and writing, C for gameplay.

dogsicle posted:

yeah, gen 3 is the only one missing

but if you are including older DS versions you could still use the gen 3 gba carts

Can't imagine there's much of a reason to play the originals unless you were curious or nostalgic, though, omega ruby and alpha sapphire are really good remakes.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Mostly just want to see what's up with Pokémon in general. It seemed to be like it'd totally been my poo poo when I was 14 and Pokémon stuff started getting big/arriving to Mexico, but then that summer I moved towns and... just never got into it. 3 years later I started playing videogames again and I started playing japanese games and Shin Megami Tensei popped up and that sealed the deal.

Well, you know how it's in movies and novels?

Personally I'd definitely recommend Omega Ruby over the original if you can get it.

While I'm not a HUGE pokemon fan (like collecting all XYZ pokemon, or doing all the postgame stuff or getting a competitive team), I like it and I've played most of the games. I missed out on Ruby/Sapphire the first time around and got Omega Ruby.

With the caveat that it's still a pokemon game, it did have one of the three plots that caught my interest at all (the others being Black/White and Sun/Moon) with somewhat interesting characters.

AlternateNu posted:

Now go watch the AGDQ run of it from last month. It's amazing.

I'll check that out. While not all of my gameplay complaints can be fixed with GIT GUD, I think I'd find it more fun if I had a better idea of doing blocks and stuff.

I don't like how you have to drop a weapon to stomp someone, since basically every weapon knocks people over. I also didn't like how fast enemies could attack out of standing up; Together it made knocking enemies over feel pretty bad.

The Colonel posted:

canaan owns cause it's nothing like 428 or the canaan scenario and yet it's still exactly what i wanted out of a weird semi-sequel exploring canaan's relationship with maria

Wait, like 428: Shibuya Scramble?

It's so set in my mind as live action an anime spinoff automatically feels weird. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 28, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What's that from again? I think I recognize the art style but don't recall the name.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think there is a main menu theme in a game that goes as hard as hellsinker's second main menu theme

The Colonel posted:

yagate kimi ni naru

i don't think it's the revolutionary yuri manga people were talking it up as during its run but it has a really good back half and a fantastic ending, and some of its characters are really interesting

Oh right, I got about half way into that then picked it up and finished the other part when it was over.

I should try to read it again all at once.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

The file select music in PSO Episode 3 is way better than it has any right to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GWTi9mlDk

Tim Follin is the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Hly3W7164

Man I love PSO, I should try one of the original Phantasy Star games sometime.

Episode 3 was so weird but I did play a ton of it. I was devastated when my gamecube memory card was corrupted. :negative:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that I take Twitter Discourse seriously, but I find it kinda sad people seem to be flipping out over some shortstack instead of being happy KyoAni's put together their first show since the attack.

sb hermit posted:

Play phantasy star 4. It's a modern classic.

The original PS is a slog, PS2 dungeons are way too windy, and PS3 had a lot of promise but needed a lot of fleshing out and there are too many gddm random encounters.

I think they could really write a good 72 episode epic with PS3's premise, but the amount of material produced is like 3 or 4 episodes of content.

Will keep that in mind :tipshat:

Is that Aikatsu? I think I recognized something for once. :unsmith:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 1, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helter Skelter posted:

There was a brief time when I thought about getting into speedrunning RAD, but the record at the time was something like six hours and it would have meant skipping all the dialogue like some kind of monster.

robot alchemic driver or something else? I wanted to try that game but never did.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8one6 posted:

https://myanimelist.net/news/62225470?fbclid=IwAR1gHekF9KTwnU3_L10cUK6aZketvrMaM7JquhUUeC_TMnzPgqAGhHQ2o7c

Like 30 years later Devil is a part timer gets a second season.

What's great is the ridiculous premise of this was what got me to start reading Light Novels because I thought the first season was funny and wanted to know the rest of the story. It was the scene with Satan at the deep fryer and his pained, serious internal monolog over using the last of his devil power to cook the fries right before the manager said "oh yeah, the fryer is hosed, don't worry about it" that sold me on the series.

What sucks is the rest of the story is bad. I read up through Vol 8 and the joke wears thin and a couple of new characters are introduced that are terrible.

I gather a lot of fans didn't like the ending so hard they didn't even look at the author's next series.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not a real anime fan unless you watched your first anime on a top loader VCR (shakes cane from poarch)

not gonna lie I didn't even know top loading VCRs existed.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fgo, dokkan, arknights, genshin...That shits old.

2021 is the era of the sexy cookie gacha.

:frogon:

I vaguely remember there was a like, kitchen gacha game with hot dogs and stuff.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: guess i can ask in the thread lol

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's grea, she's the best

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weird BIAS posted:

I like the Dorothy Cleric from Sinoalice, that is my gacha take.

"Mobile game devs tell me that swimsuit outfits make more money, so I should make one, so I made Dorothy’s aquatic outfit for her Cleric class, but the sales weren’t very good. The devs said, ‘not a diving suit like this! A swimsuit that shows more skin!!’ so I released Dorothy’s lazy bear minstrel class, but sales went down yet again. Who can trust these devs?”

I love every interview yoko taro does about that game.

“I’d choose a Disney collaboration. I’ll pour in all of the violence and sexually explicit content I could muster. Saito-P will go down with me.”

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 12, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like Sinoalice came out and virtually everyone seemed to stop talking about it.

It's not that great a game and there's not that much dialogue in it.

Most of the goons who play it hang out in a single discord.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah sinoalice has really good music, that's the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv8fvHeOCOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krUYVFL1nBc

I love/hate gachas because I have an addictive personality, but I like ongoing stories and all the fanart they spawn.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you're gonna post SINoALICE music you gotta share Feast of Carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp9iud9u0I

The Gran Colosseum Finals remix is also tite as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QnRDsqRlc

I always do better during colosseum when those tracks are playing. I steadfastly refuse to use voice chat because I'm not giving that up in favor of Tuna Heals in a Jersey accent (as funny as that would be).

I hope tuna cleric snow makes you reconsider

The Colonel posted:

the first game is decent. danganronpa 2 has some cool ideas and its story is almost sort of interesting but it makes some really clumsy decisions that kinda destroyed any impact it was going for for me and basically meant only like three characters get much of an arc

I think 2 is pretty flawed but I liked how more of the characters contributed more, and it made me like it more overall.

I think the DR2's biggest mistake was DR3 pulling a metal gear solid 4 and trying to explain all the stuff that shouldn't have been explained.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 12, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

contribute what, they occasionally get like one scene in each chapter where one of them gets a plot thing to do and kazuichi is given some token reason to exist in each one but the story does basically nothing to change up their dynamics with each other or give the sense that any of them grow closer together as the cast dwindles down. sonia and akane have like two moments in the entire game where they actually feel like friends

danganronpa 1's cast does less on an objective level to help i guess but as characters with relationships they feel overall more considered than anyone in dr2 really gets outside of komaeda, hajime and chiaki

my issues with dr2 honestly have absolutely nothing to do with dr3, dr2 itself just really failed on any level to make me connect with its characters or themes because at every possible step it makes the least interesting choice on how to build them up. like akane's free times are decent and made me like her overall but in the main story she really does not get all that much

I think there's about the same level of cast relationships in 2 as 1, honestly. A lot of 1's cast don't really come off too strongly with how they relate to other characters, imo. (probably dont need to spoiler but I'll do so to be safe) Celestia, fat guy, and hagakure could more or less be cut without much being lost, saying fukawa or leon have much of a relationship with anyone is a bit of a stretch, and 'junko' doesn't really do much except add an extra body (she's pretty meaningless as a character outside of the 'what if' story). That's honestly... not much less than DR2?

Even as someone who likes DR1 and 2 I think you might be overestimating how good 1 is about the cast, as opposed to undervaluing 2.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DR2 ftl...v3 ftw

v3? more like... L3. because it's a big L.

gotem

The Black Stones posted:

People who enjoy a gacha are like “no, but this one is different and look how it’s actually good” and they just don’t realize it’s the one gacha that’s managed to hook them enough to ignore all the bullshit that comes with a gacha game.

I’ve tried enough of them to know they’re not for me. Yes, I’ve played F:GO, and yes it seemed like it was good. I also quickly ran into the “we’re trickling rewards at you now so if you don’t like your party maybe you should spend some money” part of the game and quickly stopped playing because screw that. So whenever a gacha defender pulls the “no no you should play this because it actually respects your time and money.” I want to punch them in the face because they have definitely ignored the parts where it doesn’t because they like the gameplay loop enough to look past it.

Did grouchio probably overreact? Sure, it’s Grouchio. Are the gacha defenders starting to warrant it? Also Yes.

I play like 6 gacha games and I 100% acknowledge my life would probably have been better off if that number was always 0.

That being said, grouchio's weird insecure outburst deserves to be laughed at.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Has there been another attempt to do anime adaptations of western series/cartoons/comics like they did with Wolverine, Supernatural and such in the early 10's?

Spider-Man: Fake Red comes to mind, but despite being really good it didn't sell well and got killed off.

e: Oh wait do you mean anime specifically not manga? I think there was that powerpuff girls series, and a couple of shorts like Altered Carbon: Resleeved and Bladerunner Blackout.

Did have to check to see if the latter two were actually japanese and not frenchime or something, though. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 13, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i think arknights is a gacha that respects your time and is worth playing :)

How many runs does it take to promote a unit to e2 on average, again?

I actually think arknights is one of the worst gachas for respecting your time, that I've played at least.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the gachas with super cute girls that hang out.

Super cute boys are also acceptable.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Arknights' stamina is called sanity? drat they really go hard on aesthetic, huh.

No, why would you assume that? :haw:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Dev Time Goals right here.

Being a patreon artist type I can't say I hate it, but I think the gachas I like (well, err more towards love in a love-hate relationship) are things like Honkai and Girls Frontline which just do constant incredibly weird things with their gameplay because someone went to work with an idea and they just HAD to put it in!

Probably just my perception, though. I like to think that even for gacha games, a few people working on them are working on them out of love and not just for a paycheck but that's probably not the case.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah. FGO doesn't even need mentioning in how fail it is when it comes to convenience. I'm glad it's finally starting to lag behind in popularity. Might be the wakeup call it needs for QOL additions.

FGO is going to die before it adds NP skip lol

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite part of danganronpa 3 was when they took a plot element from the spinoff novel that everyone hated and made it a central element of the anime, lol.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Dangan Ronpa was probably not meant to be a franchise and from what I've heard about V3, the creator agrees.

Even the new game from Kodaka and Uchikoshi is essentially "Okay, we're sick of death games now"

V3 felt pretentious to me just because of how bad 3 was.

This is your brain on despair anime :shepface:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought Akudama was okay but I never did like Swindler and there were a few plot and character elements that bugged me.

I think there was enough to like that I'd probably recommend it to someone to decide for themselves, though.

The Colonel posted:

tbh it works way better for me still just cause like. hey they all get to have writing and arcs that's nice that's more than like 3/4 of the characters in danganronpa get

like even hooligan gets some pretty sick character beats by the end

Did Cutthroat really? He felt the flattest to me.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

IMO it's funny how (akudama) Kodaka dropped the death game format then killed off every single character who wasn't immortal in AD

To be fair I don't recall Pupil or Boss actually dying, though they probably would soon enough.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

I hope they don't just die.

Are there even any other sites that do what they do that aren't wracked with malware?

Nope.

Julias posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just rumors though.

It's basically the only logical conclusion, considering how constantly they're hit and the fact that botnets aren't free, whether they're maintaining them or renting them.

Even a small botnet is a few hundred to rent for a couple of days.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We will hold the manga hostage for one HUNDRED BILLION dollars.

e: Anyone have a link to the previous thread? There was a conversation I wanted to double check.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boy's abyss is a trainwreck I can't look away from

e:

Does anyone know if this is like, a gun-to-head apology forced by Japanese racehorse barons?

https://twitter.com/M91Ptd8RdUeHLON/status/1372459650797342721

I assume the yakuza are involved with gambling on horse races but not an area I actually know anything about

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now THAT sounds like a pusher's pitch.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

some of you better not go to japan or youre gonna think everyones yakuza except the actual yakuza.

I'll be fine, when I was there I met a guy with four fingers who seemed to know what was up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motto posted:

The title is about Jobless Reincarnation, but it's actually a neat article about the history of isekai and "Narou" fiction in general.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

Long and short: the fanfic-y qualities of isekai and similar WN premise trends comes directly from fanfiction, particularly Zero no Tsukaima fanfiction, and it proliferated so hard due to a combination of Narou banning fanfic in 2012 and the demonstrated success of WN authors like Reki with Accel World. MT's author has talked about how he was drawn to Narou following failure to publish through traditional channels, and like many fanfics and other isekai, it's a result of a write-as-you-go process, drawing on reader reactions and other writers (apparently he straight up told rezero's author that it inspired a climax in MT).

Article about isekai that doesn't mention alice in wonderland, shameful.

e: the fact that the Musoku Tensei guy was inspired by rance explains a lot, now I feel less bad about immediately judging anyone who likes it.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 19, 2021