Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'll be playing on a gamecube controller look alike B^}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This game should be playable on Thursday at 12:00 AM EST. Meaning if you're on the west coast 9:00 PM PST. Third party games get released at 10 I think on the day of release, but MH:R is a big game.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
World's Great Swords were so boring until you really got into the game. I wish they'd just do away with bone / iron weapons all together besides being the first you pick up, and immediately going into crazy weapons made from bits.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Unlucky7 posted:

24 hours before we all relitigate capturing vs killing

26.5 actually. 9 pm PST. 12am est

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is the kind of game where you have to actually go hit a training dummy for an hour to even start to get the hang of a weapon so don't worry about it too much. The demos are much more for returning players than new ones.

People say this, but I've been able to pick up on a weapon in a few minutes after watching a 20 - 30 minute youtube guide like Arektz or Gaijin Hunter

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

People say this, but I've been able to pick up on a weapon in a few minutes after watching a 20 - 30 minute youtube guide like Arektz or Gaijin Hunter

I'm actually dumb as poo poo, because I just realized this is after putting over 300hrs into the series...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
ah thank god. that took forever loving capcom.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It is not unlocked on the west coast, or at least I can't get it to run.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You can move faster than the dog as well with the great wire bug, being able to climb and run along walls, and doing the spinny thing after each wire bug grapple.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's such a great feeling when someone is trying to do a capture, and you've made it clear you're going for a kill, and you manage to kill the monster in the trap before they throw their tranq bombs.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He must play a lot of dark souls because his hit boxes are bullshit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shine posted:

My other-person-cart callout is "Don't give up, we need you!" because I am a nice person.

My self-cart callout is "Oh confound it all."

Mine is "Don't stop, we're almost there." for others

and "I swear this never happens to me..." for myself

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a way to set the gyroscope to tilt instead of twist for left right aiming.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There's an item wheel?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

v1ld posted:

So annoying how a few sites have done whatever search engine optimization tricks they needed to make Google pretty loving useless to search for stuff on this game.

Unless you explicitly specify reddit or gamefaqs or whatever to limit that cruft, but that defeats half the reason to search - to get that odd blog post or whatever on the topic.

Wish Google had a search filter that let me explicitly block results from sites. Time to check if there's a plugin for that I guess.

Are game8 and gamewithin or whatever just as annoying for other games?

Don't mind that they exist, do mind that they clog up search results so much.

if you add - it'll exclude all results with that keyword, and if you use * it'll look for that phrase in the middle of the word.

So if you're searching for monster hunter stuff, and you don't want fextralife links, you can just type your search word and then -*fextralife*

You need two asterisks, because wild cards only work up to, or from the asterisk.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So I know I want to do 2 gathering policies because I want 2 pilfer. What are some good skills to roll for? Also how do I level them up fast I'm at Rank 4ish and they are still level like 12 -15

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The join random quest feature rules for when I just want to pla uh not specifically grind anything

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean... Games end? If you like the game play, just play the game? All of the content can be beaten without these things right? It's just a place to put the stuff you get to keep you hooked at the end. People play DRG, Dead by Daylight, or Left 4 Dead or Overwatch without any real "end game"

Like honestly if it were me I'd let you turn in monster parts for layered armor or whatever and cut charms entirely. People seem to hate them and feel obligated to make them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Unlucky7 posted:

The tweet announcement is back up, along with an extra bit of info: The size of the update (or the required extra space rather)

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1385425232991703040?s=20

Gonna need to play more over the next few days.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Isekai is just weeb poo poo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There is nothing anime about monster hunter. This is good strong American dango

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah American spirit like Allmight has the most American super hero. He's even dying just like America

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

Goons being the intelligent ones, as per usual. :v:

Please don't spread this awful and harmful myth.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Injuryprone posted:

What other weapons are near hammer in terms of braindead combos and poo poo to monitor?

Great Sword or LBG or Bow

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It should be pointed out that most of the "mandatory" gear is if you're bad, if you can avoid carting, and do decent clears you absolutely do not need any skill, even in the guns.

e: That being said, gearing up for guns is brain dead, because 99% of the skills are useless on guns, so you might as well do rapid up / spread up / pierce up or whatever, because what would you even wear at that point?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Your Computer posted:

rate my guild card photo

purrfection

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shammypants posted:

Maybe it's just that I have played a lot of Monster Hunter over the years, but the difficulty level of Rise is extremely low. I think I carted 2-3 times over the entire game, and only because I stopped paying attention to a fight to watch TV. That's not a flex, it's just pretty clear to me that World provides a greater challenge, setting aside tempered etc. I had a great time with Rise though, 50+ hours, but yea, it needs some super hard modes or something.

You are literally playing the tutorial still in HR 7 and you have hundreds of hours of experience at this point.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How does rapid fire up effect pierce 3 ammo?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Apex kulu yaku

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I see people say LBG is boring, but I also don't see a lot of people doing the flippy thing that racks up crazy amounts of damage for you and your team. Like most LBG users online stand there and fire, but you put on some crazy mods, you can get in some monsters armpit and go to town. It has more depth then people give it credit for, though when I don't want to try or am just grinding a piece of gear, I just slap on the LBG and stand at the side lines, but when I really buckle down, I'm deep in the pits flipping, mining, feeding, and seeding as much damage as possible.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is Stories like Pokemon where it's just catching monsters and snoozing through the story, or is it like SMT / Persona. A team based RPG with strong mechanics.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I can't decide whether to start a new game or not with MH: Rise, I never finished it but I did a bowgun build that I ended up just burning out on because it was kind of boring and easy, now I want to get into a harder weapon, and don't know how far back I should go, or what I should farm up. I also can't decide what I want to do lol. I was a Great Sword / Lance girl for life then Bowgun for fun with Gyro Controls, and now I'm kind of lost, my friend is going through the game again and I guess IG looks fun. How far back do you guys normally go when you return to the game? I never finished it either I'm only HR 6 out of what, and on the 6* Hub Urgent Quest. I'm just feeling kind of lost returning to the game and don't really know how to get back into it after a long break. Maybe I'll just wait for Rise for PC?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
bring back the owl memphistenneseeoh

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Did you do the Romance hunt? All this comes up in Iceborne.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's generally how these things go, but I'm wondering if things will be a little different, because it's normally like "Monster Hunter 4" then "Monster Hunter 4: GU" as the "DLC." The G-rank expansions normally add like two base games worth of content. I could see Rise getting an ungodly amount of content based on the timing and everything. It normally adds a new third rank like "Master" or "G" or something, and then adds a bunch of poo poo.

Iceborne added 42 monsters with it's expansion and 30 new key quests, not even counting the optional side stuff that's good.

I didn't like World as much as Rise and Double Cross, but it was good as hell. I'm actually doing a new save file play through while I wait for Sunbreak to come out.

I found the tower segments really boring in World, and fighting on the back of the giant monster really didn't do it for me either. Then again I'm broke brained and love hunting for tracks and stuff for the tempered monsters. I like it when missions require an absurdly high Hunter Rank, so you go back and help newbies a ton to get it leveled up. My #1 favorite feature in Rise though is the "Join Random Hunt" button, where you just eat up, put on your best gear, and just queue up for the first mission that's been waiting the longest. Helping people is just fun. I wish I could stick with them when they cart like as a party, but other then that Rise is my favorite.

The palamutes are sick as hell as well. I don't ever use them because I love having thieving palicoes and support palicoes, but running around on the back of a dog is so much fun. The wire bug is also dope as hell, just flinging yourself around. It reminds me of Touikiden 2, which is sadly dead but was super dope.

World though, is so unique I can definitely see people bouncing off Rise because it doesn't give you that lived in feel. It's not a huge sprawling base with things growing and getting better and bigger around you. The Mochi cats aren't as fun as Buff Chef cat, and the animations don't upgrade as you get more stuff. Rise kind of feels like a budget game next to World, because World just had so much to make itself look and feel like a living breathing place, while Rise just tries to keep you from running around too much in the village, and being able to immediately access what you need. You never have to leave the Guild Hall if you don't want too.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No-one else can see my Monster Hunter World mods right? Other then MHW Transmog I mean?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ok good, what I do to my armor and character in MH:W is between me and our dead loving god.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone know if Rise is going to be a midnight release, and if it's a global time, or if you can VPN in early?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's weird, I didn't know there were so many ways to spell Great Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Should we be spoiling stuff that happens in Rise then? Because there's a pretty big plot point that forces you into the gathering hub.