Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

capitalists has built a factroy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They have a really pretty loading screen in the diary:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Star posted:

Let me preorder goddamnit, just take my money

This is the one time I might actually preorder. To signal to paradox's bean counters that this is what I want

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's also just a game mechanic I think. To solve the problem of capitalist ai building stupid poo poo

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I know war is not a focus of vicky3 but to the extent that it does happen I hope they take notes from the supply system being added to hoi4. I think every paradox game would be improved by having realistic limits on supplying troops away from their homeland.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If I can't design an extremely complicated mobilization timetable and train schedule down to the minute I'm not buying it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Re dependents, I was actually thinking about that the other day. Anyone know how this worked in Vic2? I know that pops were just men, and there was an invisible multiplier to account for women and children. Did losing military pops in war kill their dependents too?

Yes, but it's more like those dependents never really existed anyway. The x4 multiplier was just for display, it had no effect on gameplay.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gort posted:

Presumably the fact that when men were killed in war their families died too also had an effect on population growth

No, you don't understand. There's no men, no women, no children pops. There are just pops. Growth was applied as a % year over year to the number of pops based on province liferating and other modifiers.

Separately, there is a x4 multiplier for display purposes, only when looking at total population at the top of the screen or in the ledger. This is explained as being because man, wife, 2 kids, but critically none of the man, wife, or kids is ever actually an in-game construct. There's just a number

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

That was basically all of the British Colonial Empire. I don't think any of it really made money for the British state outside the second order effect of taxable commerce. But it made shitloads of money for individuals on the make, which is the short answer for why it kept expanding basically.

It has a real Late Republican Rome sort of thing going on, just with parliament instead of civil wars.

I don't think any colonial empire was meant to be beneficial to the state itself, they were all intended to profit the elites within that state

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gort posted:

I mean, so was the state itself so

Indeed. I'm just pointing out that looking at colonies from the perspective of the state's revenue is missing their true purpose.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They could do something where slaves can't move on their own but if an aristocrat from a slave holding territory moves to another territory where slavery is legal they bring a portion of the original place's slaves with them.

Trans Saharan slave trade can probably be modeled with pop growth modifiers on either side. E.g. -2% growth to all poor pops where the slaves are being taken, +2% to slave pops on the destination side. Maybe some rich/middle class pops in between get extra money as a result. Don't need to make it more complicated than that.

Treating serfdom as slavery is also a reasonable simplification. American slavery was brutal but not unique in the space of human atrocities.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think that it would be a grave mistake to give Vicky 3 the kind of forced labor and genocide simulation present in stellaris.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TwoQuestions posted:

Sorry, people are cruel, brutal monsters most of the time. The lack of those things would be really ahistorical, and they're more important to the time described than money or technological advancement.

You can address these things without gamifying them.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

As long as A Day at the Court comes back

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have always felt that the late game economic malfunctions and endless cycle of hellwars are thematically true to the time period even if not historically accurate. They certainly feel apocalyptic.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Every once in a while you sail some armies over to kick the poo poo out of them and force them to cede some treaty ports

That's only an HPM thing, vanilla doesn't have treaty ports

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hope V3 requires things like the british indian army to actually spend the majority of their manpower garrisoning India instead of colonies being endless manpower pools.

I don't know much about the raj (even though I should). Why did they need to garrison it so heavily? In case of rebellion?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the game should have a sims style building editor, so that you can design your own palaces, government buildings, monuments, opera houses, etc. and when the worlds fair happens you get to design your pavilion for that

e: what are some cool books on imperialism i should read to get ready for vicky 3. besides the one by lenin

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I enjoyed the DD and concept of capacities, not 100% on the authority using "roads" as an example even after Wiz's clarification. If building roads directly through authority is only one way to construct them, how would say the other extreme of an anarcho-communist country build roads? The game is clearly moving away from the bad system of "free market capitalism means a bad AI runs things" but how will low authority countries then build stuff?

In a advanced, non-absolute-monarchy state it probably uses bureaucratic capacity. In an anarcho-communist country it requires holding a referendum on where the road should be, and then a referendum on what materials should be used, and then a referendum on what the speed limit ought to be, and there's a commune that's kind of off the planned route but they really want the road to go to them too so maybe we should build two roads, and....

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wiz posted:

It's not "building roads", it's the ruler ordering the people in the state to keep the roads in shape. Building infrastructure is a completely separate mechanic divorced from Authority.

That sounds good. Makes sense for the ruler to be like "hey this one state is critical to defense of the realm, keep the roads there in extra good quality"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is a trilogy already. War breaks out between the Union and Great Britain in the summer of 1863 and Russia and France quickly become involved on opposing sides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWJ7ZA?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks

Is it good?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

For alternate history or in general? Because those are two different bars.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine the question is, "Is it fun?"

Yeah. Is it enjoyable to read

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

how many algos implementin this game are gonna be strictly ω(n) (not O(n), ω(n)) and so dog poo poo slow in late game

so much of the stellaris futzing really really smells like they wrote ω(n) stuff for a buncha variables like pops and jobs and poo poo and they whacked n down instead of cracking open the good algos

How the gently caress are you going to do sub-linear operations on a game like this. Buying and selling is probably going to be quadratic

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can imagine that being easily approximately nlogn.

Yeah on further thought that's a terrible example. However the broader point is that much of the game is necessarily going to be at least linear with respect to pops

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

The most-recent I mean! :) Like how the new testament is the newest edition of the bible.

That's the book of Mormon

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

All bibles were deprecated after the Quran released

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How does original CK brutalize the player in ways CK2 and 3 don't

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

The "limited knowledge obscuring outcomes" ship has sailed, circumnavigated the globe, and sailed into Japan with overwhelming firepower

And then unceremoniously sunk at Tsushima Strait

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mans posted:

Just...don't play ironman?

But muh achievement

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dumping armies into an abstract front and hoping you win the war sounds boring as gently caress and I hope paradox ignores all such suggestions

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

What is ideal for V3: Little 3d men and horses, or NATO Counters?

Little wooden toy soldiers

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You know in war movies how they have all the toy soldiers on the map and the generals push them around with little broom things? The cursor should look like that type of broom

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I vote that sailing ships be called Clippers and steamships called Lakers

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait... the game actually breaks pops down into individuals?!?

It probably just stores those numbers that you see there. The entire concept of pops is a clever trick to *avoid* ever simulating individuals.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The internet being invented starts a timer which eventually leads to world war 3

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Takanago posted:

It's interesting how Peasants and Farmers are distinct pop types here

I believe it was written in an earlier diary that peasants represent people in subsistence agriculture and that a big part of the game is moving them to more productive jobs over time. Farmer probably represents a higher efficiency form of agriculture.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that they feel a need to have those numbers for the top 3 underneath kinda prove that the pie chart sucks at conveying useful information. In the same space they're currently using, bar charts would be able to provide more easily read information on more groups.

It could be that the detailed list has that, though then a player might want a way for the detailed list to always be the one that opens first.

I disagree, bar chart in that small space would be less readable. It would be crowded with all the smaller slices that would have very short bars

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-dev-diary-9-national-markets.1484917/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

golden bubble posted:

The great depression would be really hard to do, since it relied so much on national post-war finances and the treaties the great powers had with each over their national debts/reparations. But for other depressions, you only need a way for the population to lose their minds in a hype bubble for a decade before it all pops. Panic of 1873 was only one of many, many bubble driven depressions that occurred during this time period. The Great Depression might need special events, but the system should be able to produce the Panic of 1857, or the Panic of 1893.

But pops don't speculate, or do any kind of forecasting at all for that matter. They just buy what they need at that moment. I think the only types of economic shock we see will come from shortages (not enough iron -> literally everything suffers), and sudden changes in pop fixation (we no longer want tea, we only want coffee -> massive crash for tea exporters and boom for coffee exporters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sum posted:

Keep in mind that most people who were ruined by the Great Depression lost their money because their bank failed and not because they put too much money in Ford stock or whatever.

Yes, but the bank failures were after the market crash. But I think we agree on the overall point: we will probably not see panics emerge in the v3 economy as described so far. It would require a deeper simulation into finance, investment, and speculation. And that may not even be desirable if it costs too many CPU cycles each tick.

quote:

It might be as simple as having some abstract monetary policy that is determined by the year and whichever political party is in power, with some X% chance of causing a financial panic every month, although that might be too abstract of a system.

I'm not a fan of this system, first because just having a ticking chance of random catastrophic bad event feels like it would be unfun, and second because as described so far it is hard to describe what a panic in v3 even looks like. Since pops don't have any investment behavior, you would have to apply an arbitrary penalty to some other economic activity. All prices deflated? Malus to factory throughput? Capitalists don't put any money in the building pool? It feels like it would be hacky and not fun.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 6, 2021