Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Aight, sign me in. I'll try not to be so newbie this time I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Got a bunch of buttons. They do things. This may be fun.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I think I know what Binus is up to and if he is town, it's a pretty good idea. Unless he's a scum PGO trying to murder all the power roles but that would just be loving hilarious.

Almost tempted to give that night visit a go just because of that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also PGO is just an one-shot thing if I read this thing correctly? Does that means he'd be able to murder one person at worst? Or that he'd murder everyone but just that one night?

Betting on Gestalt Consciousness, Binus wants to see how many people he can command to obey at once :tinfoil::tinfoil:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir posted:

It varies by mod, but usually one-shot PGO means that you activate it for one night and kill everyone that visits.

But yes, it's probably one of Gestalt or F. Materialist and I'm not sure why people would immediately jump to other conclusions. It's entirely alignment neutral.

Thanks!

So the smart move is to visit Binus on N2, get it.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Though I concur mass-death by PGO caused by a flock of people wanting to see what binus is up to would be fun as hell too.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

There's also the question of what'd happen to someone who gets tracked, watched, roleblocked, doc'ed, jailed and driven in the same night. Even if you don't include kill actions and passive actions, that sounds like a fun night.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Suboptimal isn't the way to say it if he was genuinely asking us to use 1-shot abilities to, best case, give them to him.

OTOH, I am sure someone probably will, if nothing else to see what is going on there.

Re-reading the setup, there's no alignment cops here, and just one shot at doc by each person who gets/shifts to a 2 point ethic? This seems like it's gonna be fun to play, yeah.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

I think people were mostly joking about seeing b-. Points to e+ imo for trying to defuse with a joke, but I'll be very frustrated if that becomes a real case later lol.

I agree, I think we started getting kinda serious all of a sudden. Binus going on a mass PGO rampage or Binus getting all the powers and then some sounds funny, but I doubt people are going to be falling all over to go visit him tonight. I don't quite get how you can deduce scum or town from that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

It would be hard to see how giving up a lot of 1-shots would be worth whatever benefit binus gets.

Yeah, it is this, basically. Gameplay-wise it makes no sense. Doesn't mean they aren't making a claim, and someone may take them up on it. But I don't think Binus is going to become some sort of demigod

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir posted:

also @Bif I've looked over it again and I can't really comment on the humor segment because I, as a german, have no humor.

Hah, I thought that was just the German stereotype we Spanish have, lol. Glad to see someone in Euro time!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not voting Yami today he’s my pal and I haven’t gotten to play with them recently!!

Is that a scum claim? Are you claiming? That was a claim? Right? You claimed? This a claim? We're already ganging on you today, come on. Set someone on fire or something so we can discuss your case more comfortably.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Are we??? :raise:

(I hope so, I feel like we've been pretty adversarial to each other lately!)

Up until we get to the seven-page manifestos on why someone is totally a traitor and should die a painful death, yeah.

I got cookies. Anyone want cookies?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

So tonight we lunch someone? I can't really understand D1's, it seems like there's a mixture of people making jokes and shitposting and people reading a lot into those jokes/shitposts. Guess the game needs to get up and running somehow.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

merk posted:

• Hal whiteknighting Yami without saying anything about who is scummy is scummy;
  • Tommunist is content lurking; and
  • Plastic's post about b- has me feeling like it could be scum, but it's a very weak read.

Good luck. See you tomorrow, maybe.

I feel like there could be some good points in here, but not knowing half of you (and then having played a single game with some of the others) it gets hard to distinguish between "this person is acting aggresive/cagey/innocent" and "oh that's X, that how they roll all the time".

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Oh, first post has pronouns now. I'm she/her but I won't be offended by anything else, really.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

what you thinking B??

If you want to you can go to votefinder.com, claim your SA username/make an account, and insert your pronouns and it will auto populate that into the lists that game makers use.

Ohh, cool. Will do that, thanks!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Not going to comment on the other stuff, but the double vote thing is that I'm going to switch ethics tonight and will lose it anyway. I wanted to give the argument I made extra oomph so I used the double vote instead of wasting it.

Can we do this? Instructions read to me like a) if you switch ethics the only way of controlling what you lose is to switch to the opposite one and b) if you use up one point, you lose that point, you don't get to use then switch.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

what you thinking B??

If you want to you can go to votefinder.com, claim your SA username/make an account, and insert your pronouns and it will auto populate that into the lists that game makers use.

Done, but I urge anyone who wants to do the same to go to votefinder.org, not .com... the other one just said it's not loading any content for me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

ObamaAkbar. posted:

The 3 ethic points are constant and you can’t lose them as such they are just an abstract way to show how many ethics you can hold at once, essentially either 3 regular or 1 regular and 1 fanatic. If you use a one shot ability that ability is lost forever but you can still switch to a different ethic (or upgrade to fanatic) to gain other abilities later.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Deadline in 4h?

I guess I'll throw in a lurker vote because I really cannot make heads or tails of the accusations now. I just can't get so strong of a read on anyone from jokephase, or whatever it was that binus tried to do.

##vote tommunist

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Bif, Somber and merk all have 2 (merk less so because it is just me twice), but who benefits from swinging to a (content) lurker this early?

What I have seen of Merk this game looks like Merk playing just like he did in the other game I joined, where he was townie. The cases on the other two don't really say much to me either way.

I am voting just because I guess we need to vote someone today, and absent any good reason... I guess I prefer to play with people who are somehow contributing and readable?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

I'll look at your plastic case

Why do we have sentinent beings in plastic cases? That can't be healthy.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

Btw to celebrate being all vaxxed up now and no longer being sick from it, I made a visit to the karaoke bar last night! If reading logical cases isn't your jam, please allow me to move you with the power of song.

No love for this? Because it deserves it.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

were you made aware that you survived a kill attempt?

I am getting a flashback now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Lol, ptsd after 1 ecco game.

Sand seems to find themselves on the wrong end of killing attempts quite regularly, it seems.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

If anyone was curious, I watched binus last night and... nobody else came around, lol. And I am also very much alive.

I have an idea what his ability does now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

Why didja watch binus of all people??

Because I don't know if they are town or scum (I still don't) but I thought anyone coming to actually visit them and not killing them would very probably be town. Except nobody else tried so, buh. Wasted an ability and I think he took a roleblock from me so, there's that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

I didn’t take anything from you

Well then my power went somewhere, because I no longer have it and mod confirmed it. Not too worried, I don't trust myself that much with a roleblock, but huh.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

I actually think I'm willing to accept binus and Shell as town if I glean what they did last night correctly

TBH there's not that much to explain, I thought scum wouldn't probably be willing to visit Binus because they don't stand to gain nothing for it: best case scenario, as someone pointed out, Binus'd take a copy of their powers and they'd have abilities moved around for no net gain. Townies might come, though, just to see if they can gleam Binus' alignment from whatever happened to them. Therefore I thought that if someone came by Binus last night, it'd probably be a townie. Nobody came, though, so it was a bit of a waste. Unless you all wanted to calm your conscience about Binus going on a PGO rampage.

I don't know where my ability went, only that it is gone, but then again I may be missing something on the setup.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

I feel that it is an exercise in wifom to try and decide whether scum would distance themselves or participate in Tommunist's execution. I don't think we're going to find anything extremely meaningful.

I think this is mostly it, yeah. I don't think anybody really thought Tommu was scum, he gave no content at all. It was a lurker lunch. Why'd mafia consciously distance themselves/align themselves with it?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I actually like the idea of giving a bunch more abilities to one person so he can use them all without having to spend a turn ethic shifting and doing nothing. If he's town, then it's just completely beneficial, and if he's scum, then they can still only use one and none of the ones that would presumably be copied are useful to scum. Or you know, he's PGO and murders a ton of people but that would just be hilarious.

It is not 4AM here but I am equally half-asleep, will try to organize some coherent thoughts around this because I think this is a good point that went kinda unnoticed among all the noise.

Abilities presumably being able to be copied by a Fanatic Materialist (that is, abilities that are performed in a different target AND don't kill the receptor): doc, track, jail, watch, ethic cop, roleblock, bus drive (I suppose?)

Suppose Binus here is scum, and assume he's not got PGO or hasn't activated it because I am alive. If I am reading this correctly, scum would benefit from having an extra doc or an ethics cop. Jailer is a town role if I am not wrong so it would be useless to scum. Track and watch also seem useful to scum, albeit probably not much in this setup without permanent roles. Roleblock may or may not impede Binus using his ability at all. Bus drive I am not sure how it'd work for scum, either.

So, at the very least, a scum Binus would benefit from copying Doc or Cop (although I don't think nobody would waste a doc in that, cop would at least give an answer, but we are assuming the answer in the first place so). Also if he gets to copy Track and Watch those seem like extra boons. I get four, I don't see where the "just one" setup comes from.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Reading the cases so far, don't have much of my own to add, sorry.

Kind of surprised at the lack of night action claiming. Somebody else had to have done something significant. Did we lunch the one and only guy with a cop action?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Tomm wasn't a cop, he had an ethic cop, which is basically just to catch someone in a lie. This game doesn't appear to have alignment cops unless it's someone's personality.

Yeah, yeah, I didn't look much at what I wrote. I understand.

I'll say you're looking pretty town to me right now, and re-reading D1 seems to confirm that. I believe you'd be targeted for a nightkill, though I don't know if we can infer whodunnit from there without observators. I assume scum is playing in a somehow coordinated fashion.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Going from the absence of a NK and the fact that nobody else has admitted to a protection or to being attacked, I'd suppose it makes sense that Grandi's shooting would be the missing NK and not someone going all vig on them. I do expect that scum would coordinate so whoever's shooting is not immediately obvious to everyone from the D1 discussion.

Then again I've never been scum, so.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Are you counting yourself as the third?

Why wouldn't he? The thing is, do we want to count him as the third?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Are you still leaning town on binus even though his ability apparently cost not just your watch, but another of your 1-shots, and he was asking for even more people to visit, presumably costing them additional 1-shots too?

I ain't. The only evidence I have is that I visited him and I am not dead. I am not sure what happened to my roleblock, maybe he got it? I didn't use it, but stealing abilites doesn't seem to mesh with his claim.

But anyway, I don't think that's enough of an evidence either way to deduce Binus' alignment. If I thought he was scum I wouldn't have come, but them's the breaks. I won't bat for him.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

He said we are up to three confirmed townies. I think he means himself.

Yeah, he means himself. Why would he say otherwise? Everyone would claim they're totally 100% confirmed townie. Doesn't mean he is or that we should believe it, but he'll of course claim that, is what I was saying.

At least he got the game moving, though.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Eh. Thanks for the newbie pass, hope I won't need it. I am reading the cases, but I have yet to sit through any of them in detail to make up my mind.

If you want me to cooperate a bit, some inklings from me are:

- Binus can be anything, but he's Binus so that seems to be expected.

- Merk did sound very very scummy back then when he didn't want to reveal his night actions. But, tbh, it sounded a bit too on the nose, everyone treats Merk like a seasoned veteran, it's not logical for me that he would just come up and ambiguosly talk about "win conditions" if he was scum. Also, people are allowed to have out-of-game circumstances, and he said he's travelling with his family and playing on mobile so that'd probably make for fewer and more rushed posts. Not out of the woods but I would wait and see.

- Toal has sounded very town in their badgering of Merk, and also a lot more relaxed than they came about in their last game. I am inclined to peg them as town for now.

- Mae sound very... Mae. She likes cases and she'll pursue them to the end. I can see how that can read scum. She did the same thing in the other game when she was town, though.

- Sand and Somber do not read like anything to me. Sand seems detached from the game (which is a change after how hard he fought before) and Somber is not here much either, but he wasn't either for the final days of the Ecco game so I think they could just be busy or off somehow. Same goes for Hal, they're not doing much, but they died N2 in the other game so I don't have much of a gauge for them.

- The rest I haven't read more than a handful of posts from. People explaining how Binus' actions can be scummy D1 do tend to orientate me towards town too, because this game seems to have more than one newbie, and why would scum care what stupid townie newbies do? I don't think an overpowered Binus is a concern for scum, worst case scenario he gets NK'ed and that's it. I'd need to re-read who did what then, though.

- PI being a fellow newbie tracks, hello there! They're playing very straightforwardly, doubt they're anything but town. But we'll see, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hal Insandenza posted:

Kinda skimming by on jokes and then the random case about who would kill grandi is the most mailed in thing I’ve seen in ages

On re-reading a bit, I think Hal is describing himself pretty much in this post. He doesn't seem to be making much of anything but comment in random people's cases and be kind of there without being there. He was much more clear and participative in the previous game as town, even though he got killed very early. If he's scum, that can explain the change of tone, if he's town, I'd like the other Hal to come around. So, I am going to prod him a bit, see what happens.

##vote Hal Insandenza