Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mx. posted:

AITA for choosing my brother over my GF and not defending her against my friends ?

Even ignoring the callous insult towards the brother, girl is already talking marriage after four months. Homophobic and crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Did the cops illegally detain me and were they negligent while doing so?

quote:

Colorado laws shall apply here. 3 cops showed up on my door issuing me a harassment ticket. They were asking for my information in order to fill out the ticket. They asked for my phone number and I simply said "I don't need to provide you with this information. It's public info I'm sure you can find but I'm not going to provide it."

They immediately put me in cuffs and walked me to the car. They did ask if anything was in my pockets before placing me in the car which I know is correct, but once I was in the car I was able to take the hand cuffs off with ease. I tapped on the window and kept asking the officer stupid questions. Just mainly to get his attention to the fact that I wasn't hand cuffed.

After they ran my information and were about to uncuff me I made sure my hands were in front of me and I said " you didn't do well I took the cuffs off."

"We weren't worried about you" was their response

I feel like this was negligence on Their part and they weren't following standard protocol, nor do I believe I should have even been detained for not providing my phone number.

Was I in the wrong? Were they in the wrong? Can I possibly get my whole charge thrown out because of their negligence?

:psyduck:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

You have to be a mega hardcore alcoholic to drink everclear straight. That poo poo is just pure gasoline, I can't imagine anyone gulping that outside of the sole purpose of getting drunk.

AITA for letting the Great Soup Lie live?

quote:

Long story: there's this traditional winter soup that's often eaten on December 31st. The good stuff is homemade, but it's a lot of work and you can get countless canned and bagged versions in the supermarket just fine. Atleast, you can if you're not a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian and years ago I remembered I hadn't had any in ages, so I decided to spend a couple of hours making some myself. It can only really be made in large batches, so I stored in the freezer what I could and dropped some off at my parents as well.

At the time, my mother was the only one home, so I was like "Here's some soup I made. It's vegetarian though. I used vegetable stock and a meat substitue." She was perfectly okay with that. Later that evening, she messaged me. They had the soup for dinner and my father had literally been crying tears of joy into his bowl. He hadn't had the homemade stuff since his mother died, nearly two decades ago, and said my version tasted just like her's. It brought back a lot of fond memories.

I was surprised, because my father is extremely picky when it comes to vegetarian food and would normally avoid meat substitutes at all cost. Then my mother confessed she hadn't told him and asked me to not tell him either.

That was years ago. I've been making soup each winter since then, always sharing a couple of portions with my parents. It's become a little family tradition and something my father looks forward to. He seems to think I'm putting meat in their share just for him. My mother still thinks it's better he doesn't know the truth.

AITA for not killing this soup lie we've been living for years?

Oh, and just to be clear: my dad has no food allergies or intolerances.

:kimchi:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

tell me what the soup is!!

They're only giving the name of the soup in PM's. But they do offer up this description

quote:

Mostly several kilos of cheap vegetables boiled to a wholesome and hearthy mush. Most elderly people associate it with a childhood of ice skating, building snow huts and drinking hot cocao in front of the fireplace.

The actual soup looks like sickly green sick with chunks in it. In the old days, people would drop whatever leftover pig meat in there for extra flavour. Like, let a pig's ear soak in there for an hour or two.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i think its something eastern european/russian just from the fact that its associated with new years eve and the only places where that's the big winter holiday over christmas is there and medieval scotland.

I googled green russian soup and got recipes for sorrel soup aka green borscht. It's probably that.

pentyne posted:

this was a pretty great "drunk at work" post as well

AITA for ordering Tequila shots for my work colleagues at Friday lunchtime?

If he hadn't been sent home, I would want to know how many times this guy tried to draw blood for testing, only to drunkenly miss the vein

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

I'm no arbiter of good taste. But only one of them is able to bring the Blåhaj to the relationship, so I have to rule in favor of the boyfriend

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Clearly the Sonic groom wants the lyrical genius of My Sweet Passion at his wedding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcWvfWUVqk

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Help! I’m Divorcing My Husband Over an Insane Stunt He Pulled at Our Wedding.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I got married just before Christmas and am hoping to be divorced or annulled by the end of January. Obviously, that wasn’t the plan originally, but …

I never cared about getting married, but I wasn’t opposed to it. So when my boyfriend proposed in 2020, we decided to go for it. We each took on about half the responsibility for organizing the wedding, but I think I was pretty reasonable about compromise when he really wanted something. My only hard-and-fast rule was that he would not rub cake in my face at the reception.

Being a reasonable man who knows me well, he didn’t. Instead, he grabbed me by the back of the head and shoved my head down into it. It was planned since the cake was DESTROYED, and he had a bunch of cupcakes as backup.

I left. Next day I told him we were done. I am standing by that. The thing is that over the holidays EVERYONE has gotten together to tell me I should give him a second chance. That I am overreacting because of my issues (I am VERY claustrophobic after a car accident years ago, and I absolutely panicked at being shoved into a cake and held there). That I love him (even though right now I don’t feel that at all), he loves me, and that means not giving up at the first hurdle. I don’t want to, but everyone is so united and confident in their assurance I am making a terrible mistake that I wonder if they are right.

—Give Him Till February?

quote:

Dear Till February,

Everyone’s sure you’re making a mistake, but they’re not the ones who have to wake up every day with a man whose behavior massively turns them off. You are. So you only have to listen to yourself. I think what he did was a red flag about not respecting you and your wishes—to say nothing of the physical aggression—but even if it wasn’t, the fact that you really didn’t like it is enough. Make a mental note about which of your loved ones don’t seem to value your happiness, and continue with your divorce.

"Do not do this one singular thing!"
*does it anyway*

I do have to ask how that even came up in the first place. Was her husband just constantly bringing it up that he'd want to rub cake in her face? Family tradition?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for hiding embarrassing notes in my house as a joke because I know my fiance's mom snoops?

This woman is too good for this world, and she should put those notes back up after throwing out the fiance.

This lady owns. And it's less of a hassle than cleaning up after a snooping MIL triggers your glitter bomb trap.

AITA for throwing away my autistic best friends blanket because his gf told me to?

quote:

First of all my best friend is 24 high functioning autistic. Despite this he has a strong social group, is considered handsome by women and has a good paying full time job.

However he has a secret only me and his girlfriend knows. He keeps a security blanket in his room and talks and hugs with it. He says the blanket got him throughout traumatic moments in his childhood kinda like that character from the cartoon Peanuts.

Well I don't mind what he does but this blanket has been straining his relationship with his girlfriend of 1 year. She tells me he gives more love to the blanket when he's stressed out and she feels like he loves the blanket more than her. So she asks me to get rid of it and when he was at work I took the blanket away and threw it in the local dumpster.

When he came back we explained everything to him and he broke down in tears and locked himself in a room. It's been 2 days. He's girlfriend says hes not talking to anyone and he's still in his room and skipping work. I tried calling him only for him to ignore my calls.

Am I in the wrong in this? I feel like he should talk responsibility in this relationship considering he is an adult. Me and his gf agree he shouldn't be fixating on this object and move on from his childhood.

EDIT: I have finished my shift and have read the comments. Upon some reflection I realised how much of a problem I caused. My IRL friends all sided with me saying that his girlfriend deserves a better guy, saying it's just a blanket. This has led me to believe I was in the right.

For those saying I'm sleeping with my friends gf, I am not I have a partner of my own. I sided with her as I want to fix their relationship as I don't want my friend to become a bitter incel again like in highschool.

I am currently leaving work to drive to the dumpster I threw the blanket in. Luckily it doesn't get emptied until next week. I'll let you guys know if I found it.

Edit 2: I have found it. I am taking it to a professional cleaner first thing in the morning.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Exhibit 9001 of the recurring series, "iT's JuSt A pRaNk, BrO!"

Help! My Sister Pulled a Nightmarish Prank at My Fiancée’s Bachelorette Party.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

How can you tell when you’re being justifiably stubborn and when you’re just making things worse?

My 20-year-old sister has been uninvited to my wedding after she went to my fiancée’s bachelorette party, announced she had a special surprise guest, and then wheeled in a skeleton dressed up in a “sister of the bride” t-shirt. My fiancée’s younger sister died when she was 16.

I am also not talking to my sister right now. I don’t know what you could even say. She has never liked my fiancée, but I still can’t believe she did something so theatrically cruel. My family all want me to back down. “She overstepped, but it was just a joke. You know she likes to be edgy. She’s devastated. C’mon, she’s a dumb kid and it didn’t mean anything. She’s very sorry and just wants to get back to normal.” The only person I haven’t heard from is my sister, other than her telling me to “get over it, it wasn’t like it was ‘dead sister’s’ ACTUAL skeleton.”

I have stood firm. Probably for the first time in my life. This was such an indescribably cruel thing to do (to anyone! Whether I loved them or not) that I can’t just sweep it under the rug. So now my side of the family (parents, brother, aunts, and cousins) aren’t coming to the wedding. Which is fine. They can get a bunch of skeletons and hold their own. I don’t care. The thing is that at this point, even my fiancée wants me to just give in to keep the peace. She says that it’s not worth causing so much disruption over a stupid prank that went wrong. Except it wasn’t a prank! No one would consider that funny and genuinely expect people to laugh.

I’m just not sure what to do. My fiancée was the one injured by this, and she wants me to stop (although her parents know what happened and were furious, so I don’t know how they’d react if my sister—a bridesmaid—smirked her way down the aisle the day of). I feel like I’m right, but no one else seems to agree. And no one is even trying to make my sister apologize! I feel that it’s so clear she’s the one in the wrong, but at this point all the blame is on me. I have started to wonder if I’m really the one in the wrong here by not letting it go?

— How Can You Tell When You’re the Bad Guy

quote:

Dear How Can You Tell,

I don’t think you’re the bad guy! She hasn’t even apologized! You should be in charge of who from your side of your family is invited to your wedding, and your fiancée can do the same for her side. It’s generous of her to forgive your sister, but that doesn’t mean you want to look out at the audience while you’re standing at the and see someone who you are mad at and think is awful. Even though the skeleton incident wasn’t directed at you, it makes sense that it would change the way you feel about her. Feel free to stand firm on this!

Op has a family of literal ghouls

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Barudak posted:

Given the older brother gets to keep staying at the house while the straight one was about to get shipped out I got some golden child vibes too.

I dunno, i think the parents were just being incredibly hasty against someone who wasn't at home to defend himself. Homophobia isn't exactly a rational state of mind. Plus they couldn't ship the brother out cause he's too old. A little surprising they are letting him stay home however, even if he has to pay rent.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA For telling my sister that her mashed potatoes were disgusting

quote:

So my family recently had get together where each person would bring a dish. My sister hasn't cooked before, (her words not mine) but she wanted to try new things. So we meet up at my mom's and we sat our dishes down, and began chatting. Since my sister doesn't really cook i was intrested in how she made the mashed potatos, so i asked what recipe she used and she said she boiled potato chips and added butter and cream. I was surprised as I had never heard of mashed potatos made this way, but I didn't say anything because maybe they were good. Once we sat down and started eating I tried the mashed potatoes and they were bad. (This is where i might be TA) After dinner I pulled my sister aside and told her that I thought they were disgusting, but I could give her some recipes and we could try to make them together sometime. She then got really mad and threw water at me and stormed out. So was I TA here?

But at least it didn't uave raisins!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

While he does steal dental hygiene products, it doesn't mention anything about toilet paper. Thus i must assume the hot cave man does not wipe his rear end, and therefore he is not good boyfriend material.

ad090 posted:

AITA for refusing to let my daughter move back in with us after she got my husband sent to jail?

Hoo boy, they're gonna need years of therapy to work past this.

Can she even go back home so soon after being taken from home?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Pleads posted:

industrial shredder

I tried to find a funny Shredder picture, this will suffice

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for telling my brother that his divorce is his own fault?

quote:

My brother is in the middle of a very angry divorce. He's living at our parent's house right now because he can't afford a place on his own. The divorce is completely his fault. He blew money on stocks and bitcoin and other expensive stuff and took out loans and lines of credit in secret. He didn't tell his wife and went so far as to show her false statements. It didn't work as well as it he thought because she figured it out and is divorcing him. But their house has been foreclosed, their savings were wiped, both of them applied for bankruptcy because my brother got them into massive debt on stocks and other wild out of control spending and finances. His wife lost her job because a bankruptcy is a negative in her industry. She's living with her parents too and both of them are relying on legal aid and parents to help pay the legal fees for the divorce. Normally I strive to ignore my brother but lately he's been saying it's not his fault because the stock market is rigged and his wife should have paid more attention (he actively hid from her). The last time he said I said the entire divorce is his fault and he should apologize for destroying his wife's life. He wasn't pleased about it and the next time I saw him he spent the whole time trying to pick a fight with me. He's tried to get our parents involved too all because of how upset he is for me not agreeing with him.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for making a bake shop re-do my order multiple times?

quote:

I (f29) got married to my partner of three years (m28) last weekend. We wanted our wedding to be untraditional, and we had decided we wanted tiers of cupcakes rather than a normal wedding cake. We married on a Friday, and on the previous Wednesday morning, I went to a local bake shop to pick up my order of 120 cupcakes. I had specified that they were all to be vanilla cupcakes with white frosting in the center that would ombré into the outlines of the cupcakes' frosting which would be black. When I arrived on Wednesday at 7:30 AM, I found that they were nothing like I had ordered. I asked why the frosting on top was completely black, and they said that the cupcakes were filled with white frosting inside and topped with black frosting. I explained how it wasn't what I asked for, and the worker (a probably 70-year-old woman) agreed to have my order redone by that afternoon, except I'd still have to pay part of the price of the first cupcakes since my "directions were unclear."

I reluctantly payed and then came back at 4:30 to yet again find cupcakes that were NOT how I asked. There was no ombré design at all; just a white circle in the middle surrounded by a chunky black outline. I pulled up a picture on my phone of how I had wanted them to look, and to my surprise, some of the workers there were kind enough to stay at work late to fix my order (and this time I didn't have to pay). I assumed they would bake the cupcakes then and call me in the morning, so I was again surprised when they called me that same day at 6:00 to tell me my order was fixed. When I got there, the cupcakes were finally pretty much just as I had imagined them. I asked how they got them done so quickly, and to my shock the said they literally scraped the frosting off the old ones and redid the frosting. "I hope that's okay" says the same 70-year-old lady as earlier (she should've said that they'd do that BEFORE she "fixed" them). Upon further examination, I noticed that there were obvious imperfections in many of the cupcakes, and you could see staining from the original layer of frosting. I did not accept these cupcakes and yet I was told I had to pay FULL PRICE for them because of all the trouble I supposedly caused the workers. I asked if I could talk to the manager about my situation (I promise I'm not a Karen), and lo and behold, I was already talking to her, the 70-year-old woman. I had nothing else to do but pay nearly $200 for nothing.

The next day I found a different bake shop and they completed my order properly first try like any normal bake shop would be expected to do.

AITA for not just accepting them from the first bake shop?

Edit: a lot of people commenting still don't understand what I wanted the cupcakes to look like. This is the photo I sent for reference (it doesn't look great because I had to edit a picture of a plain white-frosted cupcake since I couldn't find any pictures online of what I wanted): https://imgur.com/a/OP52fR9 So basically, all the cupcakes had completely flat frosting with white in the center fading to black on the outside. I thought that made sense but nobody that I saw comment thought anything like this.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

I used to know folks who cheated on spouses deployed to Iraq. Is this praxis?

It's worth getting them the bumper sticker, at the very least

My (30F) Fiancé (33M) started withholding affection to get sex and wants me to leave him if he becomes bedridden, and said he’ll do the same with me. Wedding is in June. Should I cancel?

quote:

Me and my partner has been together for 5 years. He is very affectionate, loving, gentle person although at some point of our relationship he started withholding affection to me when he doesn’t get any sex. I work in IT industry and the stress and workload really had me exhausted that when I get home I’m not really into the mood for sex. It happened for months although we still have sex, just not as much as he needs.

We got engaged September last year and I was very happy. We were making plans and at the same time and having discussions about future plans. We were talking about our sex life, how as much as he wants children in the future but indirectly told me that “you being pregnant would mean lesser sex and giving birth would take time to heal so sex is still not possible”. He then told me that as much as he’s looking forward to our marriage he is hoping that it will not be a sexless marriage. Lately he’s been talking more and more about sexless marriages and it concerns me so much because we’re having more sex than the previous year, it makes me feel that I’m still not being an active partner when we’re having sex 6-10 times a week in average. To the point that he told me if he were to be bedridden then I should leave him because he didn’t want me to stay in a sexless marriage. He then told me he’d leave me if I became bedridden as well. Keep in mind we both have no family medical history of anything that would make us bedridden early in life, unless accidents happen. This whole conversation made me realize it’s all about sex to him. He tells me he truly loves me and all that but it seems that love is sex to him and I don’t function the same. I love this man so much but it seems that he doesn’t love me enough to build a home and be with each other through sickness and in health. We’re almost 45% done with our preparations for our wedding this summer. I’m honestly shaken to my core. I felt something in me broke. How do I address this to him? Should I tell my family? I’m close to his mom, should I let her know or not? I need advices.

TLDR: My fiance started withholding affection to get sex and wants me to leave him if he becomes bedridden, and said he’ll do the same with me, and it seems to only be sexually driven.

Imagine that I spammed :redflag: 500 times

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

webmeister posted:

Anyway how has nobody mentioned Agatha Christie’s most famous poo poo detective, Hercule Pooirot

Hercule Pooirot and his friends Captain Shatings, Inspector Shatt, and Miss Lemonparty

Plus there's Christie's other great detective, Miss Shartle

i'll see myself out

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for banning a player from our larp for drama?

quote:

Will spare a lot of details since not everybody is familiar with LARPs.

We run a game that meets quite often for several years. Two months ago, a player I'll call Steph joined, and her conflict is with a veteran player I'll call Tony.

Tony befriended Steph out of game, taught her more about our LARP and offered to help her get settled. This lasted about two weeks and their in-game characters spent a lot of time together, acting as friends in-game. Tony's character invited Steph to go a secluded place and then proceeded to, along with a character played by one of our moderators, murder her character with no warning aside from the mandatory signals according to our rules, citing an in-character grudge as the reason for the kill. He then justified his actions out-of-game and explained that getting close to her in-game was for the plan. Since we run permadeath rules, Steph lost all her progress and has to start fresh on a new character, new gear, and new in-game relationships.

Our rules allow for this PvP and the entire staff backed up Tony and Ralph's actions, as they followed our rules regarding player kills, and our moderators who play characters are bound to the same rules. Steph, however, was furious because the culture at our LARP has not been 100% competitive. There are sort of "unwritten rules" as have been no PvP kills that were not either consented to out-of-game or clearly signaled in advance (ie characters receiving death threat letters, players PvPing a known murderer and losing) and Steph hated that this was sprung on her with no opportunity for her to be able to avoid it. She then left and texted the other players who she was friends with that she was leaving and complained about Tony's behavior and what had happened.

Immersion is very important to our group and we avoid taking in-game information out-of-game, and Steph was doing so by telling multiple people that her character had been murdered, by whom, where, and how, which is against our rules. She did have valid concerns, however, and so the staff team asked Steph not to contact any more of our players regarding the issue while we discuss what to do first. We also didn't want this to blow out into a big community fight as we've lost many players over the years due to issues similar to this.

The team then found out that Steph continued to vent to other players that were her out-of-game friends about the issue. Our organizers' team saw this as disrespectful to our event's rules and the entire community for continuing to break our rules even when asked to stop. We banned her from coming back to our events, and to prevent drama, let the rumor that she simply left stay in place.

Now she's texted everyone whose contact details she has about what's happened, and a few more players have been asking us why she was banned. AITA?

AITA for telling my brother's girlfriend that it was weird for her to keep an urn of her late husband's ashes in the house?

quote:

Okay, So this happened last night while me (M23) and my family were visiting my brother's (M30) girlfriend's (F30) house for the first time.

We were all sitting at dinner table and I remembered when my brother's girlfriend, who's a widow, saying that she keeps an urn of her late husband's ashes in the house. Conversation let from one thing to another then, I looked at my brother and asked him quietly if he was comfortable with having his girlfriend's late husband's urn in the house. he gave me a long stare so I figured the answer was yes but maybe, he couldn't tell his girlfriend about it fearing she'd misunderstand maybe?. So I brought it up with her and told her it was quite weird to have her late husband's urn in the house. She looked at me and was apparently caught off guard by what I said. she said that she didn't think so and that it wasn't like the urn was on display, also said this is her late husband's house and where the urn should be. I told her it felt weird especially, since she just had my brother move in with her and he must be feeling uncomfortable with the idea, his girlfriend looked upset and got quiet. my brother shouted "none of your goddamned business, shut your mouth Elijah, jeezus!" I responded with "I mean..personally I wouldn't be cool with my girl keeping an urn of her ex within close approximate, at best best it'd make me feel uncomfortable, at worst it'd make me feel creeped out." his girlfriend then replyed by saying that I have no business dating a widow then and I shrugged. She excused herself to the kitchen and stayed there, my brother went off on me calling me an obnoxios rear end in a top hat for making dinner awkward and upsetting his girlfriend. I told him I was just giving my opinion but he lashed out more.

my parents and I left and they told me my brother's girlfriend was being hypersensitive, but I too went too far and upset my brother and probably sparked an argument between them and I should reach to apologize but I'm not sure.

[edit] Guys! please, One thing you should know is that I had no intentions of being hurtful. I do not hate my brother's girlfriend, infact, we get along pretty well but I just wanted to add that I had no malicious intent here. I'm not the the type of guys who go out of their way to act maliciously but I feel kind of guilty for how the situation played out. [edit2] my parents are the ones who said she was being hypersensitive, not me. [edit3] Yes, I overheard my brother venting about the urn when he first moved in just so you know.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

The actual stated reason for why Tony had a grudge against Steph because he felt like her character was too manipulative and she failed his secret test of character when Tony's character brought up overthrowing those in power.

Maybe she's a huge ol mega racist IRL, but OP mentioned that she said a racist thing and apologized for it. Let's not ascribe anti-racist intentions to Tony, who was being a dick, plain and simple. Tony has made no mention of the past racist incident.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Honestly, I'm not giving LARP OP the benefit of the doubt. They mention a grudge on Tony's part a couple of days ago, but they don't bring up any racism on Steph's part until well after everyone had dogpiled on OP. I think that racism is a serious concern that should have been brought up during the initial post, not something you allude to when you need to give Tony a vague motivation.

Plus their last comment is them claiming they made this post to show how fishy the moderators were acting and showing them reddit's comments to prove the mods wrong. But a few hours earlier, they admitted to being the one who decided to ban Steph. Very contradictory statements. I can't trust them.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Mx. posted:

AITA for being Hawaiian and having my dad talk to the principal.

Suddenly i'm having terrible flashbacks to that one animator (who identified as a white Hawaiian) who really hated Lilo and Stitch because it was too racist against white people and didn't acknowledge the history of "white genocide done by native Hawaiians"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Invisible Clergy posted:

Was this the woman who was the main character of twitter for a day and whined about how Lilo was "too childish" or is this a different person?

Same person, although i do recall she had a friend with the same opinions on Lilo and Hawaiian history. I could be conflating some details.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA For not punishing my autistic son when he asks people if they want him lie?

quote:

My son is fifteen and very blunt. You ask him a question and he tells the truth. Its never something I've tried to correct; I dont think it necessarily needs correcting.

However, it really upsets some family members. The biggest thing recently was my brother and his wife are having a baby, and she mentioned wanting to name the baby MacKayleighah. Which is a mouthful. She then asked our opinions.

My son told her it was spelt weird and that he didnt like it. She got super upset and started crying. I dont personally think he did anything wrong - she asked a question and got an answer.

He kinda shrugged it off and said he wanted to go home. We went home.

That annoyed them even more. Its been a few tidbits - people asking about clothes and hair. He's always honest.

With the whole baby thing everything is seeming much more tense. Because of that, now whenever someone asks a question, he asks them if they want him to lie or not.

They dont like this either. I was contacted by my brother, telling me I need to discipline my son when he's rude, and teach him that being truthfully kind and just being truthful are different (I'm not really sure how to explain that one?)

I disagree. He realised they were getting upset, so now he clarifies before he answers. Its working out well for him. My husband appreciates it a lot more lol.

This has obviously devolved in a fight because why wouldnt it in this family. Usually arguments have at least some form of split, but with this one its just me against them.

Which makes me second guess myself. So, aita?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For giving my dog an "offensive" name and then refusing to change it?

change the dog's name to carpetbagger then

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

:goonsay: is goonsay, its supposed to look like a stereotypical gross goon commenting on something. the --(.)-(.) is the glasses

Wait thats supposed to be a face with glasses???

I always thought it was like a gang or swarm of goons huddled together, all speaking the same terrible opinion. A goonmind, if you will.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

WIBTA if I declined a wedding invitation after accepting, but didn’t send a present?

Do all of the siblings' suggestions. More gifts mean she really cares about them

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

maybe anti-garlic knot lady is a wealthy vampire who has to spend her money in order to live

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My [20F] boyfriend [20M] can't stop pretending to be British.

quote:

Our relationship is practically perfect. We're soul mates in every sense of the word, we've been together for a while now, discussing living together. But there's this one small thing that drives a wedge between us - my boyfriend just wants to be British, I guess?

It's been going on for so long now and it's getting annoying to an alarming degree. He went to the UK one time and never stops talking about pork pies and how all grocery stores are gross compared to Marks&Spencer (I thought it was a clothes store only??). He only makes Nigella Lawson recipes and looks down on my "americanized" versions of sausage. He's weirdly racist against Irish people and passes it off as a joke most of the time though.

Every time he sees a mention of a British thing, "Co.uk" on a website or reads the word "blimey" he starts reading it in British, although his accent is normally a version of a generic ESL speak, just like mine. Like I know it seems very small and a stupid thing to get mad at, but it's just so weird and "posh" and whatever. I feel awkward when it happens and especially in front of my parents. As an answer to this I started casually mentioning the "bri'ish people aren't real" memes and he actually stopped talking to me because he thinks I'm ridiculous and he's not doing anything strange.

I love him so much and I don't want this to be an issue at all, but it is. How do I go about telling him to stop doing this??

TL;DR: Boyfriend pretends to be British although he's not. I'm going loving insane. Please help

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

How can I stop a neighbor from feeding wild crows, creating a neighborhood nuisance.

quote:

A neighbor insists on feeding bread to wild crows. She has done this for years and it attracts at least 50 every day. They caw early in the morning waking up everyone who lives nearby. The crows also perch on houses while waiting for her, pooping on everything. They take the bread and leave it in our yards where our dogs find it and eat it. Neighbors have begged her to stop for years, and the HOA doesn’t do anything. This is in Southern California. Can I do anything legally speaking to get her to stop?

( I do not want to hurt the crows. I just want the neighbor to stop feeding them)

Building a crow army is in vogue

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

This is a tangent, but how did us americans adopt using "entreé" as the word for main course, when everyone else uses it for what we call the appetizer?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for saying my dad doesn’t need to apologize for almost ruining our wedding?

quote:

My beautiful wife and I got married a few weeks ago and she’s still annoyed with me about this situation.

My dad asked my mom for a divorce at the wedding, which I get is pretty messed up, but my moms very reserved in public. I heard them fighting a bit during pictures and he asked if she loved him more than her job and she answered that honestly she doesn’t and doesn’t think she could ever love any person more than her job. He took his wedding band off and handed it to her.

I guess my mom told her parents and they were the ones who caused the scene. They approached my dad and yelled at him that he’s a piece of poo poo. Everyone did turn and stare but he groomsmen broke it up pretty quickly.

My wife was furious and wanted everyone involved kicked out. My grandparents were asked to leave but I wanted my dad to stay. My mom left shortly after on her own.

My wife has told me that it effects how she views my dad and she lost respect. I have more sympathy for him because I think he spent a lot of years knowing that job was the love of my moms life and that has got to be an awful feeling.

Yesterday I commented that I can’t believe my parents are both dating when they’ve only been separated for a couple weeks. My wife brought it up that my dad almost ruined our wedding and he should really apologize and he’s selfish.

I said she was being heartless and she needs to understand that he was hurt and not trying to ruin anything and I said he doesn’t owe us an apology when he didn’t cause the drama. She accused me of not caring enough about our wedding.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know, but the concept is still ridiculous and they are worthy of scorn and derision.

AITA for not wanting my son to date his step brother ?

"Stepbrother, what are you doing?"

My first reaction from just the title was "well it sucks that the blended family you created didn't go to plan, but they clearly do not see each other as brothers as they didn't grow up in a family together." But then i read the full thing and she isn't even married to this guy and their kids were fuckin long before op and her bf started dating. THEY ARE NOT EVEN BROTHERS, LADY.

Also, i wonder why nate didn't tell his mom about being gay, or what those missing reasons were that started that argument.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's more that folks are projecting that he somehow deserved to have his private residence intruded upon because he wears a collar, which isn't sound logic. It's coming from that same 'ew gross' place. 'He must be somehow being flagrant with it and deserves it/needs to be stopped so they staged an intervention' is a reaction coming from biases and stereotypes. We have no idea how this guy acts in public or how the collar even looks.

Yeah, we really don't know what the collar looks like, except for that it can be passed off as a necklace. I assume it is one of those stainless steel necklaces and not a 2-inch wide spiked leather collar with multiple d-rings for attachments.

I will say that fashionable neck accessories for men shouldn't be seen as conspicuous. But a lot of people might side-eye anything on men that isn't a jesus necklace or puka shell necklace. Not even in a "ew kink" kind of way, but like, "bro thats gay to wear" kind of way.

Brawnfire posted:

And the pants with the straps... *wistful sigh*

Now i'm remembering that time our openly gay substitute teacher wore those pants to class one day

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

what's the unicorn mean other than 'i like unicorns'?

it means "don't gently caress with me"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My(22F) Brother In law (Mid 30s) is on Grindr

quote:

My sister has been married to him for 10 years and dated him for 2 years before getting married. My best friend is gay and he found his account on grindr. He took screenshots and sent them to me.

My sister and her husband have such a great relationship. I don't know how this could have happened, Even I can't believe this. I am so scared and I know the right thing to do but I don't know how I will go about it. I love my sister and I know this will crush her. They seem so in love and I don't know how I can show this to her?
I am just really scared on how I will go about this and could use some advice.

TLDR : Best Friend found my BIL on grindr, IDK what to do?

Update : My (22F) brother in law is on grindr

quote:

I decided to just tell her as quickly as possible so I called her and asked her if we could meet to get coffee and she was down. I showed her the screenshots and she wasn't surprised and the first thing she said was that he still isn't using the pictures she took for him.

She said she knew about it and it was not something I needed to worry about but she thanked me for bringing this up to me. She then changed the topic and we drank coffee and when I was about to leave she went quiet and then said that she wanted me to know it is not something she was bullied into and she didn't mind it at all. She said she had other partners too and that she is asexual. I told her that it was very different the image they projected but it was not my business and all that mattered was that she is happy.

It is pretty weird as I saw them as the old school puppy love kinda couple and it is wild that they date other people but at the same time but she seems happy and content. I think nothing else really matters.

TLDR : My sister is poly? and my brother in law is not cheating.

Probably the best possible outcome. Also, lol at BIL not using the pictures his wife took of him.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Yeah, he can buy a mansion with that... an nft of a mansion! :yeshaha:

AITA for saying my ex is a computer addict and I feel bad for his new wife and kid?

quote:

Hi new to Reddit but the friend involved in this suggested I post here and make my case lol so here we go. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone else’s business. Last weekend a lot of my friends (mutual friends still with my ex) went to my ex BFs baby shower and they have been talking about it all this week.

I’m so tired of hearing about it. He completely cut off contact with me when we split and we haven’t talked in like 6 years so I feel people should know better than to bring him up around me. I’ll admit at the end of our relationship I wasn’t my best self and did do something a bit extreme so I understand why things ended and why he wants no contact but I also think a lot of his actions drove me to it and I did apologise but it’s left things awkward.

One thing was a bit into our relationship he became a “competitive” gamer and it was impossible to live with. He was always travelling for “tournaments” and “practice” and stuff and yes I’m talking about video games not a sport. When he was home he streamed so he was literally just always on the computer. I was lucky to get a few hours a day for him to just watch TV with me.

Today a friend was again talking about the shower and I just said I hoped he had his computer addiction dealt with because if not from experience I feel bad for his wife and coming kid. Another friend pointed out it’s essentially his job and him being able to be flexible and work from home is good and apparently him and his new wife game together.

The friend who brought up the baby shower told me not to be an rear end in a top hat and bitter and that saying he was addicted to something (even though I didn’t imply like drugs I just said the computer) could be really bad and I need to watch what I say but I just said the truth. I think if they don’t want my opinion on him and his life they should stop bringing him up to me. AITA?

And pray tell, what were the reasons for getting dumped?

quote:

I am over him. It’s just awkward when people are talking about him like right in-front of me. Also honestly with how much he escalated things over what was mostly an accident I think it actually was big of me to apologise.

He had been out of town for two weekends in a row at tournaments and I have a fear of driving and he used to drive me to my best friends on the weekend which was easily an hour away. So I had two weekends I had to sit at home and do nothing in a row because I definitely can’t drive that far and my BFF didn’t have a car then. Then he came home and said he couldn’t drive me that weekend either because he had to stream.

I was upset and lonely so I ended up drinking by myself in the living room and talking to my BFF on the phone. She dared me to go in and turn his computer off mid stream (which yes I know is immature but again I was tipsy and upset and I was a dumb 23YO.) so I went in to do that but I had my drink with me and when he saw what I was doing he stood up to stop me so I had to try and rush and I spilled my drink and he had to take his computer in.

THEN he literally told me I owed him FIVE THOUSAND dollars for the repairs and “lost revenue” and threatened fo sue me over it. Then he broke up with me and left me scrambling to find a roommate and with no ride to work anymore so I almost got fired. Over a computer and a mistake.

Sadly i must side with the streamer ex over op, even if their breakup was inevitable due to differing lifestyles.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Wife says Ashley Madison profile is just for joke

quote:

I am shaken right now, I dont know what to do right now. She says it was just a drunken joke her friends played on her but its a website especially for cheaters, right? Why would you make a profile there? I was so upset that I asked her to delete it immediately which I now regret. Can this be a joke really or am I just being too optimistic?

Oof, shouldn't have made her delete it so fast

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

I know people have suggested the acid vat or a hydraulic press for Tim's bullying in-laws. But how about a good ol' fashioned dip into a volcano? Surely that is man enough for them.

AITA for telling my boss that my coworkers were not following our companies’ long standing tradition of fellowship/team-building while he was away on vacation?

quote:

I hope I can explain this clearly. I work for an amazing small engineering/contracting firm. It was founded by my current bosses dad who was pretty open about it being a Christian company. Since day one of the doors opening every day at 3:16 in the afternoon everyone who is in the office or out in the field together has to stop what they are doing and meet for a few minutes of group time telling each other what we are thankful for. It started off as a mandatory prayer session but my boss was sued in the 1990s so they changed it to fellowship and it is 100% not religious now. Now that zoom is a thing everyone has to get on their company phone and zoom into into the meeting it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on what people have to say. My boss says it’s our most important tradition and it’s why we are so successful as a company because these fellowship sessions reassure everyone that we are more of a family than a job.

My boss recently bought a second home in Aspen Colorado and decided that he wanted to spend this entire winter skiing. I’m the office manager and he left me in charge of day to day dealings in the office while his son is in charge of all operations. One thing I noticed that is that after about a week or so people started finding excuses to not attend the fellowship meetings even though they are mandatory. I sent out a company wide e-mail reminding everyone and no one responded so I started approaching people individually and all of them made the same excuse that 3:16 in the afternoon is not a good time and they have meetings with customers or suppliers. I reminded all of them that it’s never been an excuse in the past—they all sort of “yes, and” me which made me feel like crap.

I brought it up to the son and he said to just ignore it and we have to trust people to do the right thing with their job. To me this was wrong because it’s always been mandatory. I emailed my boss and he was furious so he sent out a company wide e-mail saying that anyone documented as missing the fellowship meetings will be written up with a warning then fired when it happens again.

I thought that would be the end of it up but people are assuming I’m the one that emailed him and have been so cruel to me. Most of it is things like not being asked if I want to be on the office lunch order but an older woman who was worked for the company for almost 40 years literally came up to my desk and called me a “tattle tale.”

To me I was just doing what my boss asked for something that is obviously very important to him and the way he runs his company. But since I want to get along at work, AITA?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

carry on then posted:

there's a barbecue chain (mission barbecue?) that has everyone stand up daily at noon and listen to the national anthem "to honor the troops"

The first time i went to mission bbq, all of the employees were young blonde women (except for the manager). So when the national anthem started to play, seeing all of these women stand perfectly still with no emotion in their faces was an incredibly unnerving experience. It's what i imagine the Fox News offices to be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for telling my sister to stop describing things to her blind boyfriend during a family movie night?

quote:

My little sister (20F) has been dating this guy (22M) for a little over a year now. He became completely blind at the age of 16 after a car accident. He's pretty well adjusted to his new way of living by now.

Yesterday night, we had a family get together at our parents' house. Had dinner, played some board games, chatted, things like that. Watching a movie was also on the checklist. We play the movie. Immediately after it started my sister started describing things to her boyfriend: how the people and environment looked, etc. It annoyed me (26F) 'cause even tho they were whispering I could still hear them and it disturbed my immersion. I kept quiet for a while but I ended up telling them to please be quiet 'cause other people like quietness during a movie. They shut up but after the movie ended my sister pulled me aside and started calling me names, telling me how that was super rude and ableist, that she never thought I'd act like this, etc. I told her that I am in no way ableist but it's annoying to hear constant noise during a movie and this would apply to everyone. She said she won't talked to me anymore until I apologize to her and her boyfriend. I would but I don't understand what I did wrong, I believe that when you're hanging out with others you should be courteous and fit in with the people there.