Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

windows 7 for life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

friends don't let friends buy macs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

windows 98se/2000/7 supremacy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

tiff is what happens when you let a committee of graphic designers create a file format.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jenny Agutter posted:

tab hoarders should be thwarted at every opportunity

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

UI people think everything is a phone now.

windows 12 will have all the UI hidden off the edges of the screen and only accessible by swiping

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

if only there were some middle ground between bare metal assembly and writing 40mb calculator apps where each button is a webpage displaying an SVG...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

98se, 2000, and 7 are the only good ones

xp and 10 are in the "ok i guess, if you really have to" tier

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

edge is just internet explorer 12

think about running IE6 twice, that's edge

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"tool bore"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just noticed the "Office 365" app on windows has a new icon and has been renamed to "Microsoft 365 (Office)" lmao

2022: Office 365
2023: Microsoft 365 (Office)
2024: 365 Office for Windows
2025: Live 365 Office
2026: Microsoft 365 Live Office
2027: Office Live 365 Powered by Microsoft Windows

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

when Sony launches the PS6 Microsoft will respond by naming their next console the Xbox Infinity Plus One No Take-Backs.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, what if we just reverted to the windows 2000 ui?

what would we lose?

an entire generation of UI designers would cry themselves to death because everything doesn't look like a phone app

so yeah, not really seeing a downside

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"everyone loved Active Desktop in windows 98 right? because we're going to make the whole OS like that!"

"and Channels... no i don't know what they were supposed to be either, but my boss's boss's boss wants to try doing them again..."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

~Coxy posted:

oooh baby

GPRS = Grab Penis, Rub Slowly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

my parents ancient pc died last week and i had to throw something together for them quickly, which wasn't compatible with 7 so i had to install windows 10

gently caress me it's just an endless list of tiny annoyances. it's like they deliberately went out of their way to set up everything wrong

live traffic updates and weather reports in the taskbar. who greenlights this poo poo?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

it really seems like it wants to just be internet explorer 12 after all

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

lmao nobody is ever going to use edge or bing unless you put a gun to their head

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"pay $3.99/month to enable the semicolon key"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i stole six new "Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A"'s from work 15+ years ago. Currently still only on the second one, so I'm probably good for mice until 2060-ish.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

(.(.)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

it looks like an elderly relatives adware-riddled XP

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

akadajet posted:

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot for what it is is the dog poo poo font rendering

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot is thinking having lots of windows open is still considered impressive

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also having four different desktop pages for some reason

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

infernal machines posted:

this is why there's dedicated office key on some keyboards that cannot be disabled or remapped

or why so many dotcom-era computers had extra media keys for "shopping", "email", etc that just opened IE and tried to load a URL that stopped existing about 45 seconds after you bought the computer

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Shaggar posted:

imagine having a wildly successful and well liked product that is the best in class by miles and miles and then deciding to rename it.

What in the gently caress are these morons thinking. Its so unbelievably stupid.

2024: "Windows is now known as 'Microsoft Live OS Services 365' "

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

r u ready to WALK posted:

the long term plan

i don't think you understand how modern companies operate

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

mystes posted:

Microsoft forcing people to replace their computers when they don't want to by setting arbitrary hardware requirements for new versions of windows has also got to be one of the biggest generators of ewaste in the world.

it used to be the opposite - claiming new versions would run on much older hardware than was really practical, mainly so that OEMs could dump their stock of shitbox PCs quickly before anyone realised that Vista did not actually run very well on a P4 Celeron with 512MB

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i really hope every single person behind windows 10+11 gets fired

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

people who get marketing degrees cry themselves to sleep for a week if they see a flat surface that doesn't have an advert on it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

just pirate the enterprise edition like a normal person

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Silver Alicorn posted:

vista was so slow on minimum spec machines you had companies developing quick start OSes you could load into instead so you could use your drat computer without waiting 7 minutes for it to boot

MS deliberately lowered the official minimum specs for vista so that OEMs could offload their remaining stocks of shitbox supermarket PCs and claim they were "vista ready"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

mystes posted:

I don't think vista was actually that bad. It just seemed bad because they started preventing software from doing dumb poo poo with uac and iirc changed the driver model or something and most of the compatibility issues weren't fixed until Windows 7 but Windows vista and Windows 7 themselves weren't actually as different as people say they are

people absolutely poo poo themselves over UAC, and all the overclocker/tweaker morons who think they need to micromanage the OS internals threw tantrums because vista started reporting free vs used ram differently

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

“buy a macbook idk” :shrug:

friends don't let friends buy macs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

euroshopper posted:

also ME was decent if you had up-to-date drivers. a lot of ppl installed it on their 200 mhz pentiums which would slow them down to a crawl, mainly due to the unprecedented amount of active desktop html bloat

ME feels like it was the first real era of OEM bundled shitware. yeah 95/98 would get a few ISP free trials pre-installed, maybe a time-limited demo of some piece of crap MS Works knockoff. But ME was when it started being filled with auto-starting crap like printer ink monitors and scanner/fax wizards and browser toolbars and anti-virus nagware...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

and then you drove home with the head cheerleader

passenger seat or trunk?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

a "power user" is someone who knows there are things on the computer besides a web browser

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

steam was supposed to stop working on windows 7 on 1st jan, but it still runs just fine so i guess there's no reason to downgrade to 8/8.1/10/11 after all

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

2000 and 7 are both fine choices

people saying 10 is OK is some stockholm syndrome poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

That loving Sned posted:

How did Windows XP manage to avoid being a complete disaster? You’d think that changing from DOS to NT would bump up the minimum requirements and make a lot of software and hardware incompatible, but if that was common then people would still be bitter about it. All those problems happened with Vista, despite it being less of an overhaul.

2000 was the one that made the switch from DOS/9X to NT. and the requirement's did go up. 98 was usable with 16 or 32MB, 2000 really needed 64 minimum.