Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what happens if you combine no nut november and nodevember

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ew I hope they give me super powers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a three sided chode

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I “wrote” the entirety of rodrocket with nodes, although I did design the meshes by hand, but other than that pure nodes. not a single texture either.

nodes are the god drat future. I can’t believe they aren’t in the big world of image manipulation yet. using layers in photoshop after using nodes feels like such antiquated technology. nodes make what is happening so obvious. they’re so intuitive. nodes nodes god drat nodes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this one was cool

I've done one for six sided, but have to wait a days until it can be revealed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe I've waited until tonight to learn about geo nodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDJ5QvhLIw

I just watched this. Extremely excellent.

drat I am excited now lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've gone minimalist for this. minimal effort!

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1455309815224287233?s=20

it's submission for day 6-7 which is six sided. I certainly can't stand out by trying to compete with complexity of node setups so I took a different path toward standing out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fart simpson you’ve outdone yourself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that reminds me of one of those slime mold things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you know what the backface is?

FalseNegative posted:

First try at nodes, also learning composition and lighting! It's going to be a fun month.

sick bro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i like the scene setup and lighting/shadows in this

ive come to understand that lighting is often the most important part of a scene. you can make something look really good without any textures at all, just good lighting

it’s not that dissimilar to photography especially in this regard.

part of doing this I reckon is you start paying attention to everything a bit differently. especially photography and art, but also just real life. noticing how the light can change a room etc. I get a lot of inspiration just from poo poo I see during the day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

I managed to make something that my gpu absolutely hates, no idea why. maybe a 3.0 bug

optix definitely doesn’t like some things that cuda can process. i’ve had to switch back for a couple fluid sim renders and I’ve gotten used to how fast my new card plus optix is and it’s hard to go back

idk that’s what’s happening for you, not sure if you’ve tried downgrading but if not maybe thats a solution.

i’ve just left mine overnight coz i’m doing some serious volume stuff and it’s taking more than a minute to do less than a hundred samples. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I made this with nodes. I don’t really do well with external suggestions so it doesn’t really meet any criteria for nodevember but it’s also made with nodes so I am sharing it regardless so take that nodevember!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

in case anything crashes during the animation rendering, here's a still frame for my "4 sided" entry.

it's tibetan prayer flags

these are good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to compile a list, not necessarily how to do things but more like things to watch out for. For example, the way blender handles materials is not particularly obvious at first and still feels clunky.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

I found out yesterday that you can use shader nodes on the world (there's a drop down on the top left of the shader node editor that says "object", click it to access world shader nodes) and it's a great way to get an interesting outdoor lighting without an hdr map. for instance you can use a procedural sky texture to get a nice sunset, but even using something like a colored noise texture can give some interesting results

yeah the nishita sky texture has been the basis of every pic I’ve rendered since I discovered it.

sometimes I use a light path node with a mix shader node and have it so if camera path the shader is mixed to nothing (so we see a black background) but everything else sees the sky so you light your whatever without a bright background.

both the images in this thread of mine use the sky shader one showing and one not showing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s sick and i’m pleased as heck I could offer something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm almost entirely self taught, can easily count on one hand the number of blender tutorials I've watched, so I reckon there's heaps of stuff that I learned late in the game which perhaps is taught in those tutorials, but anyway so a couple tips I found over my years doing node fuckery, perhaps these are common knowledge idk

anyway, the hotkey m mutes a node. super quick way of turning on and off a node, and any mix node just passes the first connection directly through if you do that.

and in the composition nodes, a viewer node. if you bring in a image editor screen, you can switch it to viewer node and see exactly the output. I have these pasted all over the show in my composition nodes so I can get instant feedback of what each individual part does, for my own sakes.

(I have that is a default composition set becasue I get sick of starting fresh all the time, and most stuff is just muted off so doesn't impact)

everytime I find myself doing something multiple times I spin up a fresh instance of blender, make the change to the default file and save over the default file and close it.

I arranged that image for the screen shot and it occurred to me its a great solution to scrolling around all over the place, can't believe havent thought of it before for any nodes

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 7, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

6 sided

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InexperiencedUnitedGroundhog-mobile.mp4

kinda tweaks out at the end because i screwed up some render settings. gonna fix it tomorrow.

this was the most complicated geometry node tree ive done yet. the rigging was an attempt to animate the legs, but i totally gave that up

mate this is incredible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve been loving around with some nebulae poo poo in shader nodes. not really for nodevember but may drop it in anyway coz kinda starting to look epic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i came in to say bzzzzzz but yeah thanks captain foo for laying a wet fart down instead.

fart simpson no lie that’s one of the most impressive nodevembers I’ve ever seen: like top 3 seriously

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imma explain what I want the end result to be like and hopefully someone can tell me if it’s possible

ok a cube with volume shader and another object say a sphere inside, and the volume shader picks up at each 3d location if the sphere is there (or not) and returns a value that is a proximity to the sphere.

i’ve seen this with geom nodes where a vertex can return a proximity to the nearest part of anther shape

hopefully i’ve explained myself clearly.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm
ok so easy to do from object centre. had hoped to do from more complex shape.. hmm. thanks anywau

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

are we allowed to use nodes for only part of the nodevember project or does it all have to be with the default cube?

because i shamefully cannot get my head around geometry nodes like even a little. i think the combination of not knowing how to use them + only doing NURBS modeling just makes it bounce off my brain. i don't think in polygons and vertex normals and stuff. i can think of some cool shaders i could make for some of these prompts, but i need to have some sort of model to start with.

here is an unrelated node thing that i am reasonably proud of, from screwing around in class today. a student was complaining that they didn't know where to start when building a material, so i showed them how you just have to look at the real world object and understand what's going on with its surface and replicate that. the first thing at hand was my pilot logbook so i went with that

ref:

that’s solid man

and coz it’s not really a competition.. so just do whatever. who cares. have fun with nodes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m also quite embarrassed because i can’t do poo poo with geo nodes or extremely 3d displacement and am overwhelmed by the quality and talent displayed here. everyone is so skilled here it’s fantastic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's why I really only pick up a prompt that inspires me

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 13, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s incredible man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

here it is

https://giant.gfycat.com/PoshAccomplishedHamster.mp4

the idea is its a tiny problem

i wanted to fill out the room with more crap but i mean, theres only so much time i have to spend on this and the node tree already looked like this:

what in the gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all hail fart simpson king of nodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluemillion posted:

Vector Displacement people are loving Terrifying.
I have nightmares where they hover over my bed with their phone: "I morphed a sphere into the Taj Majal, the gently caress did you do with Blender today, scrub?"

lol