Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Someone needed to do this because it's the best show on television and all I want to think about and talk about and I love it. Both in our current context and completely removed from it. What's your favorite episode or moment so far?

Tag spoilers per usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZWS6CITutY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red dead
May 30, 2011
Episodes have been uneven so far, but episode 7 was absolutely incredible. I was a wreck afterwards. Looking forward to seeing how they stick the landing. The story of Jeeven/Kirsten surviving early pandemic has been so much stronger than the Traveling Troupe plot but I hope they can tie it together well.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
I really love this show. It feels like a mixture of Leftovers, Carnivale and The last of us. The soundtrack and cinematography are great as well.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

One thing that I love about the show is that people could be wasting their time on theories and stuff like that (and Im sure they are), but the quality of the episodes arent driven by the existence of the next episode. Almost every other episode of any show Ive seen this year thats a drama exists as a pilot or to set up a pay off in the finale (succession included, to a certain degree)

The episodes of this that are perfect (1,3,4,5,7 for me thus far) exist perfectly as capsules, which I think is becoming a trademark of Hiro Murai. The drama and compulsion to watch from the show is grounded in the present for the viewer, which is rare and brilliantespecially for a show taking place in 3+ timelines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm up to E3 so far. Not appreciating it as much as I was hoping/expecting so far. I think the pilot did a pretty good job setting everything up but I'm not particularly keen on the travelling circus plots so far. Miranda was a bit better but still this usual workaholic destroys relationship thing. Yellowjackets is ending soon though so I'll stick with this for a bit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

straight up brolic posted:

The episodes of this that are perfect (1,3,4,5,7 for me thus far) exist perfectly as capsules, which I think is becoming a trademark of Hiro Murai. The drama and compulsion to watch from the show is grounded in the present for the viewer, which is rare and brilliantespecially for a show taking place in 3+ timelines.

I suspect this could be a Patrick Sommerville thing though -- Maniac was similar, but Murai didn't work on that.

(Also, as far as I can tell, Hiro Murai only directed two episodes of this show; he's credited with more on imdb, but they're all for unreleased episodes and they seem to have other assigned directors as well. A classic case of someone jumping the gun and crediting one person with a bunch of episodes when they're not in them, only to have them later updated with the correct details, IMO.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I got the Station Eleven novel a few years ago, but never got around to reading it. I think I will once the series ends. From what I hear, it's generally similar but with some big differences?

If anyone is looking for something similar, there's a post-plague novel from the 1980s I read from a book club years ago called The City, Not Long After which Station Eleven reminds me of. It's also about a community of artists twenty years after a plague apocalypse.

And while it's not plague related (though apocalyptic of a sort) this show also really reminds me of the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild in aesthetic and tone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is so fantastic.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Enjoying most of this more than season 1 Leftovers. Unlike Leftovers there won't be more seasons to become amazing, so hope it has a heck of conclusion.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like any show that has a Bill Callahan song.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the idea of a guy who decides he's just going to keep plowing the roads, no matter what.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think this is the first two-episode block where I preferred the main story episode to the flashback episode, although thats mainly because I thought episode 8 was the best main story episode so far. Really excellent and powerful stuff. Episode 9 is probably my least favourite flashback episode yet but it was still great and surprisingly funny. I really love Himesh Patel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought both episodes were among the best of their respective types, although episode 7 was also a contender for best flashback. I thought episode 9 was really touching, especially with the mix of regret and worry you feel from Himesh Patel when he returns to the house at the end and sees that Kirsten has gone and left the compass, and him staring out at the swimming dock we know Kirsten will be at 19 years later. My girlfriend gasped and started crying at the end when it's shown that Jeevan is still alive in the present, and has a family and daughter of his own. I think it really added a very tragic dimension to Kirsten's personality, as well.

I thought the Rose and David subplot was also extremely poignant.

Who played Terry the doctor? The actress looks really familiar but she's not listed on the IMDb page for the episode yet.

red dead
May 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought both episodes were among the best of their respective types, although episode 7 was also a contender for best flashback. I thought episode 9 was really touching, especially with the mix of regret and worry you feel from Himesh Patel when he returns to the house at the end and sees that Kirsten has gone and left the compass, and him staring out at the swimming dock we know Kirsten will be at 19 years later. My girlfriend gasped and started crying at the end when it's shown that Jeevan is still alive in the present, and has a family and daughter of his own. I think it really added a very tragic dimension to Kirsten's personality, as well.

I thought the Rose and David subplot was also extremely poignant.

Who played Terry the doctor? The actress looks really familiar but she's not listed on the IMDb page for the episode yet.

Tara Nicodemo played Terry the doctor. I don't recall seeing her in any other work but she did an amazing job in that episode.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1107283/.

I don't think I've seen a show do the interconnection of people and lives as well as this one. Not that there's any mystery or holy poo poo moment that we're looking for, but it gives me an appreciation of our interconnection as human beings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

red dead posted:

Tara Nicodemo played Terry the doctor. I don't recall seeing her in any other work but she did an amazing job in that episode.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1107283/.

Ah, of course, she was in Y: The Last Man. Though I actually don't remember her character at all. I think she was maybe one of the government officials. And also the Assassin's Creed game in ancient Greece.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dr. Terry was such a weird and wonderful character. She is the platonic ideal of kookiness.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Ep 8 was not expecting to hear stay by Lisa Loeb sung through a karaoke machine

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Station Eleven or Leavin Jeevan Always Comes Back

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I was shocked by the old age make-up not being an absolute clown show.

Like it wasnt perfect, I could tell it was make-up, I didnt think they pulled a Big on the actors, but compared to most movies, let alone TV shows? Most shows it just looks like a young person covered in flour with slices of ham spirit-gummed to their face, this actually read as an old person without distracting the poo poo out of me.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I read the book during the early pandemic and thought it was great. In my opinion this is one of those rare cases where the show has surpassed the book and and even elevates the message while still staying true to the theme.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Overall not a terrible show but the what if we just delete (the Wikipedia page for) capitalism scene is like, dog eating the transplant heart in One Tree Hill bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

red dead posted:

Episodes have been uneven so far, but episode 7 was absolutely incredible. I was a wreck afterwards. Looking forward to seeing how they stick the landing. The story of Jeeven/Kirsten surviving early pandemic has been so much stronger than the Traveling Troupe plot but I hope they can tie it together well.

My wife and I have been watching this and yeah, it's just a fact that a bohemian troupe of artists doing Shakespeare while a bunch of scavenger tribes and communities struggle with each other is a very niche choice for subject matter. There's also an air of unreality/"cheapness" to those early troupe scenes that's totally lacking in the flashbacks, and I'm not sure why. COVID production issues maybe? I will say it got substantially better when (end of episode 4 spoiler) Gil met his end. But the whole time we were watching Episode 2 and beyond we were basically waiting to get back to the past.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

houstonguy posted:

Overall not a terrible show but the what if we just delete (the Wikipedia page for) capitalism scene is like, dog eating the transplant heart in One Tree Hill bad.

Just thinking about that scene makes me laugh, so I'm glad it's in there.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

We'll just invent it again. :smugdon:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I was just absolutely wrecked after episode 7. Its been a while since a tv show had me actively sobbing. Amazing storytelling.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The modern day circus plot is meh but I've loved ever flashback episode, probably because Jeevan and his brother.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Once upon a time when I was a teenager
Before I had status and before I had a pager

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up on this before the finale. Love the irony that Hamish Patrl's character is a TV/movie/pop culture blogger, but hasn't got the first clue what's going on in the Station Eleven comic despite reading and performing in it.

This mine field scene is hilarious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Catching up on this before the finale. Love the irony that Hamish Patrl's character is a TV/movie/pop culture blogger, but hasn't got the first clue what's going on in the Station Eleven comic despite reading and performing in it.

This mine field scene is hilarious.

The self published comic that came out a few weeks before the world ended with like 3 copies total?

Yeah so out of touch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

The self published comic that came out a few weeks before the world ended with like 3 copies total?

Yeah so out of touch.

I feel like you misinterpreted Idioms post here

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah so out of touch.

The scene I'm talking about happens a year into the pandemic, at which point Jeevan's not only had a year of second hand exposure to his adopted daughter's favourite book, but also been shown reading it to her. He's also apparently acted a version of it out, something I assume we see happen after episode four. So I expect he has some level of familiarity with the text, yeah.

That said, there's a later scene in the episode I'm on that implies he's not fond of the book, so he could just be being glib when the two of them are discussing it, and so my observation may be baseless. But for other reasons, and not because he'd not have read Station Eleven.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ah my bad. Should learn to read.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ah my bad. Should learn to read.

Nah, we good. You've earnt a lot of goodwill on my part from your fun posting in the Yellowjackets thread.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, we good. You've earnt a lot of goodwill on my part from your fun posting in the Yellowjackets thread.

Honestly I think that thread got me used to people not knowing really, really basic things that happened on the screen, so I was totally prepared to believe someone forgot Station Eleven was about the apocalypse.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dont think I could bring myself to read the Yellowjackets thread. I imagine its just full of the worst kind of scrutinising and theorycrafting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I dont think I could bring myself to read the Yellowjackets thread. I imagine its just full of the worst kind of scrutinising and theorycrafting.

It is, but generally not by the people posting in it.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
What a profoundly beautiful series. My brain instantly eats up anything post apocalyptic or end of times, if that even is a genre? Not to mention, being a Chicagoan and watching the world start to degrade into chaos is so eerily relatable and strange to watch on screen.

I really love the dynamic between Kirsten and Jeevan, but I am a bit up in the air on the traveling symphony still? Cant believe its about to be the finale :(

I just started listening to the Station Eleven podcast on Spotify and 10/10 would recommend 👍

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I have to say one thing that really works for me with this series is the pacing. It just loving luxuriates in both settings and gives actors time to chew the scenery and some nice lingering scenery shots.

It feels a bit out of it's time, like a throwback to 70s sci-fi. I appreciate that it doesn't feel the need to be constantly moving visually or plotwise to keep the viewer interested. I wish more modern productions would let scenes breath like this

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I agree with everyone else that the Symphony parts are clearly weaker, but theyre also necessary to ground the drama of the past in something real and forward looking. Seeing the connections between the joys and trauma of the past pay off in the present is rewarding. So theyre, in general, 7 or so out of 10 for me (except 4, which is great) but make a equal part contribution to the series being 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
The first episode where Jeevan goes grocery shopping and prepares for the end was so reminiscent of my own experience in early March 2020 that it was actually anxiety inducing.