Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah that's right, they were busy churning out Mafia games in the same manufacturing district as the Captain Crunch cereals, and doggone it the machine similarly hosed up one day and put out a game where everybody was some sort of bodyguard. Higher ups looked at the list of roles and just shook their head at what got included:

* normal
* dramatic
* jestyguard
* armory guard
* lunchguard
* hostage-taker
* scotchgard
* paranoid guard
* eccoguard
* shifty guard
* ex-con guard
* point guard
* crossing guard
* en guarde

What the hell could these even be? Which of those are scum? Is a bodyguard considered a protection or a redirection?? Excellent questions like those and more may have answers later...

Welcome to OOPS! All Bodyguards! This is a semi-open role madness for 13 14 players. Unfortunately the higher ups only okayed this on the basis that this would be basically 'an art project' level of funding needed so there's no investment in flavoring this, just seeing what kinds of chaos can be wrought with weird role ideas. Some of these you may recognize and hey, you'll have a little insight, and the names are absolutely suggestive, but the details are what get everybody in the end... muahahahaha.

General rules (shamelessly adapted from my prior game)

1. General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

2. Please don't lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and I can accommodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

3. Do not edit your posts. If there is a big reason you need to do so, tell us first.

4. Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill.

5. Do not fake day actions. If you have been affected by a day action, please wait for it to resolve before posting.

6. Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

7. There are no bastard mod mechanics here, not even ones I've joked about, not even ones I might in the dead of night wake up to in hysterics over. No cults, no alignment changes, no jesters, etc.

8. Days will be 36-48 hours long, depending on the usual of week/weekend landings and my schedule. Hammers are by majority as usual.

9. Everything game-wise will be managed or accessed through Discord; please join here so that you can get settled in and set up.

Result language notes (shamelessly adapted from my prior game/other people who cannibalized each other through the ages):

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. You will be informed if there are any special conditions that may cause your action to fail that you could not reasonably guess in advance in your role PM. As such, please read your role PM thoroughly and ask questions liberally in your confessional; I refuse to be held responsible for any misplays you make because you didn't make sure you understood how your role works! If you are not sure what might be considered reasonably guessable in advance, I highly recommend reading this link and asking any other questions you may have as needed.

Q/A section:

1. No really, is a bodyguard a protection or a redirect?
A: Yes. No. Ask again later.

...not cutting it huh? Alright fine. If this is actually important for understanding how your role works and how to use it I will tell you which of these it is in your PM. If it isn't, I let the RNG tell me which it is and it's sworn me to secrecy on its choices on pain of randomly causing me to spontaneously combust.

An example of what this would look like in your PM: "You are a [blank] guard! Your resolution stage is PROTECTION! ..."

I don't consider it important for you to know how other people's roles work beyond whatever they tell you or what they flip as, and similarly I don't consider it important for you to be able to know exactly what happened on a given night based on my info alone. Despite rule #7 I am a bastard at heart and have checked the rules; those are for whatever reason technically not bastard mod mechanics so they are in. Don't hate me, hate the game. It's way more fun to guess significant details based on what you get and your social/logical hunches anyway IMO. That said, whatever the actual gears behind the scenes look like will have a consistent logic and physics to them and you'll get the spreadsheet after the game is over if you wanna see how on earth somebody who everyone agreed to shield died or whatever.

2. What are you doing with scums? If you randomize scum amongst the roles that looks like they might end up pretty screwed based on what the names of the roles imply about their function + bodyguards in general making a hash of strategy reliant on getting rid of specific townies/roles.
A: Good question! Scum will get some extras as a faction. I will not tell you what they are because I just KNOW it'll be scarier/funnier that way. It will not be in the shape of another inexhaustible hot tub, but it should hopefully avoid instant crush outside town being VERY lucky/good/etc. If I'm very lucky this goes to 3/4 player elo/melo for an exciting conclusion, but we'll see.

3. I have a complaint/suggestion!
A: Well that's not really a question but alright, I'm all ears on this since I'm flying by myself and still don't have a super grip on balance. Discord's likely better but whatever works works. I do reserve the right to veto or approve or mutate anything at will but while I'm a bastard I'm not a deaf tyrant and would love to hear you out.

4. When is this starting?
A: Of course, I knew I forgot something. When it fills, or if there's more than one other ongoing game by the time that happens, whenever the ongoing games drop to one left. I'll make sure to announce it ahead of time.

5. Are there any extras for town you might have or is it all for those evil scum?
A: Oh you bet I have an extra for you, you greedy son of a gun. How does a day 0 masonizer shot sound? BUT BEWARE, IT'S NOT JUST FOR YOU. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Signups:
  1. b-minus1
  2. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  3. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  4. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  5. hambeet (he/him)
  6. Hyper Crab Tank
  7. Illusionis
  8. Johnny Keats
  9. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  10. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  11. SporkChan
  12. Tired Moritz
  13. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  14. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
Observers:

Saladscooper
My Second Re-Reg
Maerlyn
Shellception

Replacements:
WindwardAway (standing by just in case)
JOHN CENA (also on standby)

Graveyard:
Voodoofly, TOWN-ALIGNED Normal/Standard Bodyguard, hammered D1!
Nobody died N1!
Bif became a permanent stump D2!
b-minus1, hambeet, and Johnny Keats; TOWN-ALIGNED Crossing, Ecco, and Ex-con Bodyguards, killed N2!
Cloacamzing!, TOWN-ALIGNED En Guarde (Bodyguard), shot to death D3!

DISCORD LINK: https://discord.gg/rgA8XsQjuA Everyone's in, day 0's going along swimmingly. Day 1 will start about 11:00 PM CST tomorrow. Don't worry if you're not seeing all the edits, there'll be new posts from me and Votefinder and Discord announcements to make it obvious.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

7. There are no bastard mod mechanics here, not even ones I've joked about, not even ones I might in the dead of night wake up to in hysterics over. No cults, no alignment changes, no jesters, etc.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Despite rule #7 I am a bastard at heart and have checked the rules; those are for whatever reason technically not bastard mod mechanics so they are in. Don't hate me, hate the game.

:goofy:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It is not a jester. In fact it's actually a role I stole pocketed repurposed am paying tribute to from an older game.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I will sign up if you promise to make me a hottubguard.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

..Okay this is too stupid I have to get involved.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What could go wrong? I'm in.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
I have flipped a coin and determined that bodyguard is a redirection, you're welcome mech speccers. Also I'll take scotchgard thanks.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I will sign up if you promise to make me a hottubguard.

I'm signing up either way, but if I could get a role letting me lock Cloaca in another tub all game I'd appreciate it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

SporkChan posted:

I'm signing up either way, but if I could get a role letting me lock Cloaca in another tub all game I'd appreciate it.

I've changed my mind, I want to be scum and nightkill Spork every night.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay, I'll play.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m in!

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I've changed my mind, I want to be scum and nightkill Spork every night.

With this many bodyguards that might even be possible!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ok

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'll play, tentatively hoping I get to day 2.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sure I’ll play!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It is not a jester. In fact it's actually a role I stole pocketed repurposed am paying tribute to from an older game.

One of my favorite roles I ever had

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hal Insandenza posted:

One of my favorite roles I ever had

One of my favorite roles I've seen played.

Hoping y'all didn't just forget this because it's not at the top of the page even though salad's game is already over. :colbert: Only two more! Or one if wolo's signing up in spite of not trusting me about the jestyguard.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

is there room here still?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

lol, wasn't expecting the quote is not edit problem to happen this way

hambeet posted:

is there room here still?

Yep, miscounted even - two slots available!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Sure

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In unless Beet can bully Keats into taking the last spot

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Alright Bif makes 13, unless Keats wants in before Friday evening. Gonna get everything set up by late Friday or so along with the masonries, get a day 0 going for the weekend, and then late Sunday game will open unless something explodes on my end. Any objections to this, speak now or hold your peace.

e: Resolved Bif/keats issue per hambeet's excellent suggestion - 13 new roles to get Maerlyn in would be a bit much, but 1 new role added on will be just fine. Weekend timing's still gonna be awkward so you'll just get a longer day 0 for questions and mason chats.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 3, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

owns

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

It appears I am playing too. Is there a Discord link?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
I'll sign up as a sub in case you need one, but hopefully you won't!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh i am in as a replacer

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Alright oracle says I should just go ahead and start since people are antsy so D1 begins now! Deadline is 4:00 PM CST 2/7/23.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (14): b-minus1, Bifauxnen, Cloacamazing!, Hal Insandenza, hambeet, Hyper Crab Tank, Illusionis, Johnny Keats, PlasticAutomaton, Sandwolf, SporkChan, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz, Voodoofly

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 07th, 2023 at 4 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 18 hours.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Hi

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It worked last game so let's do a goddamned turbo. (And by worked I mean we hit town but kept town engagement high since the days were all fast.)

##vote: Sandwolf

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hi I'm town

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

##vote hal

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It worked last game so let's do a goddamned turbo. (And by worked I mean we hit town but kept town engagement high since the days were all fast.)

I didn’t think it worked well at all!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hambeet posted:

##vote hal

You bastard!

##vote Keats

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

PlasticAutomaton posted:

:thunk: my engagement last game was pretty low ##vote plastic

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So you’re admitting that you know that sandwolf is town?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh SNAP

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

this game i'm going to agree with EVERYTHING binus says, this time he wont think i'm scummy.

oh also i'm town.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hambeet posted:

this game i'm going to agree with EVERYTHING binus says, this time he wont think i'm scummy.

oh also i'm town.

Hmmmmmm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hey what's the deal with the masoniser thing? when does that kick in?