Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

herhehejhrekjashsd posted:

i suppose if your whole family has a strange jealousy and classist rage issue

while associating with this AB poo poo so vapid in our area (including posing)

its just like

get teh gently caress away from me

get FEDSMOKED

there r plenty of nice areas in toronto

pick 1 that u like that isnt here

you raise some good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
had a good day in da SOUTH checking for turkey sign on 300 acres of woods. tomorrow i might go 4 wheeling in my jeep an tear some poo poo up. south still owns bones.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Much obliged!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

They ate the food and kept the valuables to sell. It is a historical fact that sherman participated (as a general, a leader) in the Native American genocide. This is not like his march to the sea where there's plausible deniability. You love a man who killed thousands of innocents. No matter what else he did, no matter the good his actions brought about, the fact that he killed thousands of innocent people ruins him as a good man, forever. You like him because you have an intense hate toward the south and because you had little idea the severity of his devastation or that he was a butcher in the Indian Wars.

No one cares about his involvement in the indian wars because it wasn't a notable deviation for the times. Being one of the literally two or three times that the US has had total war waged upon it is a deviation not just from his time, but from all of America's time. He stands out as the man that laid the torch to US holdings in order to stop the traitors as swiftly as he could, no one else has done that. Tons of people have killed, abused, and forcibly evicted native americans.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

vols bitch posted:

had a good day in da SOUTH checking for turkey sign on 300 acres of woods. tomorrow i might go 4 wheeling in my jeep an tear some poo poo up. south still owns bones.

Yeah I did that in the north too. Are you around knoxville? Can I come next time?
I'm a michigan refugee.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
All I know is Sherman did his thing, and now here I sit with high speed internet and a phone I can watch TV on. Say what you want about his methods, but you can't argue with the results.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

galahan posted:

Yeah I did that in the north too. Are you around knoxville? Can I come next time?
I'm a michigan refugee.

im an hour north of knoxville. I only accept yoopers

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Theres roughly 10 billion alternate histories where the germans won WW2.
Are there any books/films/games in which the confederates won the civil war?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Yolomon Wayne posted:

yeah ive seen them at the used book store lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

plenty, but even those don't feature the confederacy conquering the union. they just kinda quit and then the confederacy somehow lasts as an independent country. i dont think they even turn into a third world shithole most of the time, despite the fact that the south is already halfway there despite being propped up by states with functional economies.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Even the children and the women and the elderly? Even those who voted against succession and opposed slavery? They were all caught up in shermans conflagration same as the evil slave holders.

If they really were against slavery the would have left for the union but they didn't so i'm glad they died painful deaths

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FoolyCharged posted:

No one cares about his involvement in the indian wars because it wasn't a notable deviation for the times. Being one of the literally two or three times that the US has had total war waged upon it is a deviation not just from his time, but from all of America's time. He stands out as the man that laid the torch to terrorist holdings in order to stop the terrorists as swiftly as he could, no one else has done that. Tons of people have killed, abused, and forcibly evicted native americans.

ftfy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Confederate States of America is mockumentary based on historic writings and ideas of the time. It's tongue in cheek but I think is more accurate that we'd like to think

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The south lost the war because they were too busy loving sheep to learn how to read

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Harry Turtledove wrote a poo poo ton of south won the civil war books. He also wrote books about aliens invading in the middle of WWII, to give you an idea of the quality.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yolomon Wayne posted:

yeah it's its own literary subgenre

former presidential candidate newton leroy "newt" gingrich wrote several himself

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

They had no industry and had to form a government out of nothing in like a year. On top of that they put Jefferson Davis in charge and he was basically retarded. It is cool that he put on his wife's dress when he was running away though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

yeah it's its own literary subgenre

tbf they're all pretty much "hey what would've happened if pickett's charge wasn't a total disaster?"

which is kind of boring because a) who cares and b) there's no way the south could've waged a protracted offensive campaign in the north

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hatebag posted:

They had no industry and had to form a government out of nothing in like a year. On top of that they put Jefferson Davis in charge and he was basically retarded. It is cool that he put on his wife's dress when he was running away though.

a lot is made out of jeff davis not being a great leader but the actual confederate soldiers deserve a lot of the praise for losing

a 10%+ desertion rate, and countless stories of rank and file soldiers totally halfassing the job because they didn't really believe in the cause and were forced into service, especially after 1862. i mean the war couldn't be lost without their valiant lack of effort

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The gently caress is happening in this godforsaken Thread? It has perturbed General Grant and angered General Meade.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Since Sherman gets a pass for believing native Americans were less then human and literally butchering thousands of them like cattle, shouldn't confederates get a pass for believing Africans are less then human and enslaving them?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Like I don't get how "it was a different time" doesn't also excuse slavery.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Meade was almost as lovely as jeff davis.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Like I don't get how "it was a different time" doesn't also excuse slavery.

It does, just not by 1860 when the rest of the civilized world realized it was incredibly lovely.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm glad, OP.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Since Sherman gets a pass for believing native Americans were less then human and literally butchering thousands of them like cattle, shouldn't confederates get a pass for believing Africans are less then human and enslaving them?

The victor gets to write the history. The loser suffers in disgraceful defeat for all eternity.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

The victor gets to write the history

which is why the lost cause narrative became so commonplace

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

The victor gets to write the history
Untrue, think of all the Americans who have written about Vietnam or the Germans who have written about WW2.

Anyone who isn't dead and can write gets a shot at it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
What anime would Sherman have liked if he were alive today?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

What anime would Sherman have liked if he were alive today?
All of it. However just some of his causes were, he was one of history's monsters, and knew it himself, which is why he nearly committed suicide at the start of the Civil War.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jBrereton posted:

Untrue, think of all the Americans who have written about Vietnam or the Germans who have written about WW2.

Anyone who isn't dead and can write gets a shot at it.

It just helps that the winners don't have to worry quite so much about being indicted for war crimes.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

jBrereton posted:

All of it. However just some of his causes were, he was one of history's monsters, and knew it himself, which is why he nearly committed suicide at the start of the Civil War.

Cool! So Kill la Kill?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

Cool! So Kill la Kill?
Kill la Kill, Death Note, all the big hitters.

He'd probably have repurposed some slave manacles into replicas of goku's training weights from Dragonball. Like he'd be having a bayonet fight with some injuns in the 1880s and they'd be having trouble keeping up, and all of a sudden one of his lieutenants would smirk and say "TAKE OFF THE WEIGHTS, CUMPU-SAN". Boom, next-level Sherman.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

The South was in no position to wage a total modern war when it was viciously attacked by the United States. They were a rural people, beautiful and artistic, who leaved out their days in peaceful idylls, holding cotillions and hootanannys. By contrast the citizens of the United States lived in soot blackened cities, slaving away each day in a factory and leading a horrible life that stunted their growth physically and culturally.

This is called slavery- Wage slavery. The southerners, although brave and hardy stood little chance against an aggressive invader that was willing to butcher civilians. With the south conquered and added to its territories, the United States looked across the seas where they used nuclear weapons on the Japanese islanders, a country over 10 times smaller than themselves. The USA continues its barbaric march across the planet today, but let us not forget their first victims in the South.

If you don't like it you can :getout:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FoolyCharged posted:

It does, just not by 1860 when the rest of the civilized world realized it was incredibly lovely.

this is a fair point vis a vis indigenous peoples because lol boy howdy were Europeans genociding the gently caress outta them in 1860 still

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

FoolyCharged posted:

No one cares about his involvement in the indian wars because it wasn't a notable deviation for the times.
Rounding up jews was not a notable deviation for germany once upon a time, but no one excuses that.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 10, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

No one had realized anything. The other European powers had just moved onto more modern forms of genocide. The Southern aristocracy's greatest crime in the eyes of the rest of the world was failing to exploit people in a suitably modern way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rounding up jews was not a notable deviation for germany once upon a time, but no one excuses that.

So? Who cares if it wasn't a devation "for germany"? Everyone in the world had concentration camps yet we don't give two hoots about the american ones. The german ones defied the global norm by being expressly designed to exterminate innocent members of the population.

It's like how nobody cares about sheman killing native ameicans because 1860 was in the height of colonialism and everyone under the sun had colonies were they murdered and abused the natives for profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The German ones didn't defy the norm by exterminating innocent people; that was exactly the norm. The holocaust was part of a larger case of Germany treating Europeans the same way all the European powers had been treating the rest of the world for centuries.

• Locked thread