Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Performance report on the Alpha.

PC:
i5-3570k (stock, but Turbo'd up to 3.6ghz)
660ti (stock, slight overclocking)
8gb RAM

Settings:
1080p 2xMSAA + Ultra SMAA
Every drop-down option maxed. Ultra EVERYTHING
30-40% Boosts over default to view distance, object render distance and shadow distance

32-45fps (checked using Fraps) during the infantry combat test, and that's fine performance for a slower, non-twitch game. Lowering detail doesn't seem to improve performance much. Assuming any kind of optimization from here until release, there should be absolutely nothing to worry about performance-wise.

Looks great, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Well I guess I know where all my money is going now. :v:

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Remoted into home PC and installing now.

Goonserver?

I know it's alpha. Frankly I am not even sure the server software is available yet, hah.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've heard some issues with people crashing, here's a few things to check for if it's happening to you. If you changed the processor priority for the game.exe to something other then what the default is, then it *will* gently caress up your game. If this isn't the problem, do a 'Verify Cache Integrity' through the properties menu of the game in steam, and once it's done restart Steam. These are two things I've heard that have fixed the issues for some people, hope this helps.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

pretend to care posted:

Goonserver?

I know it's alpha. Frankly I am not even sure the server software is available yet, hah.

There isn't. You need a steam account with the game purchased to run a server at the moment.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

pretend to care posted:

Goonserver?

You could have just triggered the install via the Steam mobile app otherwise? But I guess you had to activate the game too and I doubt you can do that over the mobile app.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
It's just as easy to fire up Logmein, haha.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Mederlock posted:

I've heard some issues with people crashing, here's a few things to check for if it's happening to you. If you changed the processor priority for the game.exe to something other then what the default is, then it *will* gently caress up your game. If this isn't the problem, do a 'Verify Cache Integrity' through the properties menu of the game in steam, and once it's done restart Steam. These are two things I've heard that have fixed the issues for some people, hope this helps.
Also, I was browsing some of the reported issues on the feedback page and it seems a lot of people are having trouble with Zonealarm loving their ARMA up. Closing Zonealarm seems to fix it.

edit: /nosplash still works in Steam launch options to get rid of the splash screen.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2013

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
how do the squads act & move? are they still stuck to the terrain?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Had fun hosting games for the irc/teamspeak crowd today, even if we were horrible failures at the broken missions.

AI is currently way too accurate to play any mission without respawns. I was getting destroyed by single riflemen at 600m+ on their first shot. I know that doesn't sound too extreme, but it was too frequent and often from enemies who were walking/running.

I'll be playing again whenever I see some more multiplayer missions released.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Just bought the alpha via steam, when do we get the alpha lite invites?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jerkstoresup posted:

Had fun hosting games for the irc/teamspeak crowd today, even if we were horrible failures at the broken missions.

AI is currently way too accurate to play any mission without respawns. I was getting destroyed by single riflemen at 600m+ on their first shot. I know that doesn't sound too extreme, but it was too frequent and often from enemies who were walking/running.

I'll be playing again whenever I see some more multiplayer missions released.

What difficulty were you running the AI at?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Raneman posted:

Just bought the alpha via steam, when do we get the alpha lite invites?

I was wondering this also, from the Steam page:

quote:

3 Alpha Lite Invites (not yet available) – Introduce your friends to Arma 3 by inviting them to the free invite-only Arma 3 Alpha Lite (available from March 14, 2013 until June 18, 2013)

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
More keybind sperging - It seems Adjusting your stance is hardcoded to the movement keys? I think it would make sense if you could remap them to for instance the ctrl + mousewheel so you could lower your profile while running, instead of having to completely stop moving for a moment to hit the Adjust modifier and tap W or D. It's also hard to see just what your stance is and if going any lower is going to make you safer or make you sit down like a stupid person. A visual indicator on the HUD would be nice.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Opinionated posted:

I was wondering this also, from the Steam page:
From what I recall, the understanding was that on March 14th, anyone who bought the alpha (whichever edition) gets three Alpha Lite invites as Steam Gifts in their Steam Inventory.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
It seems the BI Store is working again. I finally got the game bought.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just tried the Escape from Stratis (with 10 players) with everything maxed out including view distances. Started of by having 30-60 fps depending on the situation. Then we came to a base in the woods and people threw smokes. Massive hit to FPS. Probably went down to ~22 fps. At the airfield I had about 25 fps. No settings really affected my fps in the end which leads me to believe that it was caused by the hosts computer not coping with the player / ai calculations. But it's still looking great and running way better than ArmA2.

I will try later / tomorrow in single player.

Computer specs:
i5 3770k OC to 3.8Ghz
HD7990 mildly overclocked
8GB RAM
SSD (no texture load stutter whatsoever, which is great)

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Tweaking: - Visual comparison -
PIP: Quality seems to only change how far away distant objects appear. Low seems to be perfectly fine. (eats lots of frames, as much as 20fps if enabled)
Disabled
Low
Standard
HIgh
Ultra

Post processing: Anything over normal seems to be excessive. Low or Normal seem to be a good middle ground.
Very Low
Low
Normal
High

Object render distances: How far away objects appear. This makes a huge difference in frames. (I'm running 800)

ATOC: Dips frames up to 10fps. Not much improvement visually, (I have it off)
Disabled
Trees + Grass

Texture quality: dependant on VRAM.
Low
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Object quality: Same as Arma 2-renders how good objects look at a distance.
Low
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Cloud quality: disabled = A2 clouds. I cant tell the difference in quality from anything above standard. (so I just leave it on standard)
Disabled
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Shadow quality: I run Standard. Do not use Low, you will get lower FPS. (lol arma?) Quality difference between standard and High seem very similar to me. The exception being less jaggy on diagonals.
Low
Standard
High

Particle quality: effects things like smoke. Normal causes smoke particles to clip, while high does not. Hard to explain so see screenshots. Difference in Very high and High seem negligable. (I use high)
Normal
High
Very High

My specs:
i5 3570k OC @ 4.3
16GB 2133mhz
GTX 580
SSD

Currently using:
Render:
AA: 2x
PPAA: OFF
ATOC: OFF
PP: Normal
AF: Very High
PIP: Standard
Dynamic Lights: High
Overall View Distance: 3000
Object view distance: 800
Shadow Distance: 100

Quality: Texture, Object, Terrain, Cloud, Shadow, Particle: High

E: added more screenshots, and fixed a duplicate.
E2: more screenshots

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 6, 2013

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Mederlock posted:

What difficulty were you running the AI at?

Normal.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The FPS hit when setting shadows to low is probably the same as in other game, where it shoves it to the CPU to deal with and causes a performance hit instead of improvement.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Those mirrors aren't real-time, are they?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Qwo posted:

Yes they are.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Qwo posted:

They are is they are enabled.

That long post confirms my suspicions that it was the host's computer that made my fps poo poo itself, since I din't notice much (or any) improvement of fps while changing settings that Steeltalon saw huge fps changes in.

Edit: No wonder, the AI saps power like a bastard.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 5, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Steeltalon posted:

Yes they are.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They are is they are enabled.
Hotttt. :):fh:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
welp the BIS store is down. I guess I can wait to give them my money. I guess it's good that ArmA3 is getting so much attention.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, custom faces don't seem to work too well.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Combatace posted:

Yeah, they have a completely new head mesh now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Combatace posted:

We are all God's creatures

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Nah I've seen pictures of soldiers with a goon's face tattooed on their scalp. It's a thing.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Nah I've seen pictures of soldiers with a goon's face tattooed on their scalp. It's a thing.

Goons gotta have eyes on the back of their heads~

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So as a dude who bought Arma 2 for DayZ and ended up really interested in the game itself but put off by the difficulty in breaking into the game's community, is it worth it to get in on the ground floor with Arma 3?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

So as a dude who bought Arma 2 for DayZ and ended up really interested in the game itself but put off by the difficulty in breaking into the game's community, is it worth it to get in on the ground floor with Arma 3?

Hell yeah. This game is legitimately awesome and not half broke like Arma 2 was at release.

Oh, I went and updated the OP, unfucked the long vertical row of screenshots and generally made it prettier. If any productive goon has the time and energy to make some banners for the different sections, that would be awesome. For reference to what I mean, check out this from the MWO thread.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Installing now and hoping this winter storm gives me a day to play tomorrow.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Can we either unfuck GoonCave.com TS or find a new TS. This insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions) is getting old.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Fraser CDN posted:

Can we either unfuck GoonCave.com TS or find a new TS. This insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions) is getting old.

Since you're the only one to have this problem sure let's just change everything for you.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I was planning on going out to the bar and being social tonight but I wake up and see ARMA 3 ALPHA AVAILABLE NOW.

Goodbye social life, we hardly knew ye.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
I'm not sure if this is a bug or I just don't understand how servers work. When I connect to a public game that's being set up (or running) I know you can usually choose who you want to be in the role window from the list on the left but I find myself unable to select any of them. I can see others hopping around between Team Leader and Medic and what have you and I can do it fine when I play a coop mission solo on LAN but I can't select a role when I try to connect to someone elses game. Am I missing something or what gives?

edit: restarted the game a bunch of times, restarted computer, validated files and no luck. oh well, such is alpha.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 6, 2013

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

wargames posted:

Since you're the only one to have this problem sure let's just change everything for you.

Im not Scoots is too.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

kinnas posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I just don't understand how servers work. When I connect to a public game that's being set up (or running) I know you can usually choose who you want to be in the role window from the list on the left but I find myself unable to select any of them. I can see others hopping around between Team Leader and Medic and what have you and I can do it fine when I play a coop mission solo on LAN but I can't select a role when I try to connect to someone elses game. Am I missing something or what gives?

Restart the game, it happened to me too and that fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I just tried out the infantry showcase. My commanding whatever told me to move 100 meters forwards and I was like "whatever buddy" and ran off half a mile up a mountain. I saw a butterfly and chased it for like five minutes before I got tired.

Butterfly simulation. Game of the year.