Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Randarkman posted:

I thought Armenia had kind of cordial relations with Iran?

They do, I just meant they're not exactly a major global ally to have considering their situation with a lot of the west.

e: ^^^, thanks for the clarification, that actually sounds like a pretty good time. I want to play.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

^^^^ Of all the reasons not to fight back during an invasion, maintaining the local environment is somewhat of a weak one.

Actually it is a pretty strong one if you're going to maintain that you're the rightful owner of the harbour that you're gonna poo poo up. Because that would ostensibly make the people there your citizens, and you've just delivered a giant stinking turd on their doorstep. Do you think that this would make them more or less inclined to support you?

Seriously people, while it might be satisfying on a visceral level for you to fantasize about the Ukraine going all scorced earth tactics on Crimea just to spite Russia, any poo poo like that would hand Putin an absolutely huge propaganda victory. Russia would start asking the common Crimean whether they'd be better of under Russia who wants to help them prosper or under Ukraine who's loving them over. And whay is Kiev goint to answer to that? That they're making GBS threads all over Crimea in the Crimean people's own best interests?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/03/ukrainian-women-have-launched-a-sex-strike-against-russian-men/284614/
So, uhm, that's in the news.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I have to say Ukrainian women are really nice, so those are the most serious sanctions so far.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ukrainians this morning are holding a press conference explaining the military exercises they will be holding jointly with several other countries.

quote:

Ukrainian-Polish exercises military police "Law and Order - 2014" Ukrainian-American exercise "Rapid Trident 2014 "Ukrainian-Polish exercises aviation units" Safe Skies 2014, "Ukrainian-American exercises" Sea Breeze 2014 "multinational exercise" Bright avalanche 2014 "multinational exercise mountain-infantry units" Karpaty 2014, "Ukrainian-Moldovan Romanian-exercises mechanized units "South-2014".

http://comments.ua/politics/459392-turchinov-predlagaet-provesti-ukraine.html

This means all of the countries listed will be granted permission to conduct training exercises in Ukraine. Sounds like fun.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Deteriorata posted:

A group of secret infiltrators, whose job is to sabotage the enemy from within.

Ed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

Typically Fifth Columnists are not infiltrators, but rather sympathizers who take action. They may be supported or funded by infiltrators, but they are citizens of the place they're trying to undermine.

So for the last few years, the situation in Afghanistan has gotten worse, and Karzai has been -even in the face of his own councils- ever more critical of the U.S., despite apparently receiving large cash payouts.

So what does this have to do with Ukraine?

Karzai is practically jizzing himself over Russian investment and increased involvement, in a nation that fervently hates Russians and still celebrates the anniversary of the eviction of the Russians every year with the fervor that the U.S. celebrates the 4th of July. To speak of Fifth Columns and FSB Infiltration, I wonder how :tinfoil: it is to think that the increased tensions since 2007 are the result of outside interference and agitation designed specifically to wear NATO and European allies and the U.S. down in anticipation of these moves in Georgia, the Ukraine, and where-ever else Russia has its eyes on? The 'Stans, which originally supported efforts in Afghanistan, have been slowly shutting down their support over the last five years as well, all ostensibly cozying up more to Russia. The U.S. and NATO and allies have responded a lot more slowly and less forcefully to Crimea, Ukraine and Georgia than they did to the Balkans.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

My Q-Face posted:

Typically Fifth Columnists are not infiltrators, but rather sympathizers who take action. They may be supported or funded by infiltrators, but they are citizens of the place they're trying to undermine.

Exactly. They're also used during a war to support the invading army in creating chaos and havoc on the home front, lowering morale and tying up vital resources.

Heh, also found this. It's from March 19th, but it's still worth a read for the laugh alone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/19/us-ukraine-crisis-russia-pact-idUSBREA2I0O620140319

quote:

Russia accused Western states of violating a pledge to respect Ukraine's sovereignty and political independence under a 1994 security assurance agreement, saying they had "indulged a coup d'etat" that ousted President Viktor Yanukovich last month.

:ironicat:

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 26, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

HellishWhiskers posted:

Their best novel, imo, is by far "The Doomed City" which has never been translated to english - a drat, drat shame.

It was translated into Estonian only very recently, I read it last summer. A terrific book, but I must say the ending was a disappointment. It felt a bit like Lost. Brilliant story and then you get that church scene in the end which made you question what the hell you spent doing the last six years. I mean the book ending wasn't nearly as bad, the principle stands.

Back to the Eastern European themes. I spoke to a Russian who lives in Estonia a couple of days ago about her views and emotions on the Russia-Ukraine crisis. I think overall her opinions were very reasonable and balanced, although a vague sense of the persecution complex still weakly shined through at times. I think it's very deeply rooted in their psyche, despite one's place in the social hierarchy, economic and education status etc.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Ragingsheep posted:

The Ukrainian Navy should've just scuttled its ships like the French fleet did at Toulon.
Why?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Kaal posted:

You mean as opposed to if the invaders seize the ships and turns them against the Canadians?
Because with those ships Russia suddenly has an advantage over the Ukrainian military that it didn't have previously?

Ukraine is doing everything to avoid a war, so it isn't even going to come to that.

My Q-Face posted:

To speak of Fifth Columns and FSB Infiltration, I wonder how :tinfoil: it is to think that the increased tensions since 2007 are the result of outside interference and agitation designed specifically to wear NATO and European allies and the U.S. down in anticipation of these moves in Georgia, the Ukraine, and where-ever else Russia has its eyes on? The 'Stans, which originally supported efforts in Afghanistan, have been slowly shutting down their support over the last five years as well, all ostensibly cozying up more to Russia. The U.S. and NATO and allies have responded a lot more slowly and less forcefully to Crimea, Ukraine and Georgia than they did to the Balkans.
Or people just dislike a violent occupation army.

But that's probably too obvious. It must be those dastardly Russians undermining the glorious Western liberation force.

CSM fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 26, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks to Obama I had to wait half an hour to cross the street after my job interview in Brussels today. I am now opposed to NATO. Putin did nothing wrong.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I am now opposed to NATO. Putin did nothing wrong.

If you need, I can arrange you an interview with recruiter from United Russia.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CSM posted:

Or people just dislike a violent occupation army.

But that's probably too obvious. It must be those dastardly Russians undermining the glorious Western liberation force.

Yes, Violent Occupation Armies were okay for the first six years where everything was comparably peaceful, and nothing else changed.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

New presidential polling data is out in Ukraine.

Petro Poroshenko (Independent) - 24,9%
Vitali Klitschko (UDAR) - 8,9%
Julia Tymoshenko (YTB) - 8,2%
Oleg Tyhanybok (Svoboda) - 1,7%
Dymytro Yarosh (Right Sector) - 0,9%

I think we can stop worrying over a Nationalist takeover in Kiev now. These are results from a survey of 6200 Ukrainians carried out March 14-19 of this year and published today.

Poroshenko is a chocolate magnate and has worked under both Yushchenko's and Yanukovicz's governments in various capacities including Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Trade and Economic Development and Secretary General of the RNBU (Defense Council) and is by all accounts a centrist.

edit: In other news, the Ukrainian fleet is down to 10 ships. Russia has taken 51.

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 26, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Pale Horse posted:

New presidential polling data is out in Ukraine.

Petro Poroshenko (Independent) - 24,9%
Vitali Klitschko (UDAR) - 8,9%
Julia Tymoshenko (YTB) - 8,2%
Oleg Tyhanybok (Svoboda) - 1,7%
Dymytro Yarosh (Right Sector) - 0,9%

I think we can stop worrying over a Nationalist takeover in Kiev now. These are results from a survey of 6200 Ukrainians carried out March 14-19 of this year and published today.

Poroshenko is a chocolate magnate and has worked under both Yushchenko's and Yanukovicz's governments in various capacities including Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Trade and Economic Development and Secretary General of the RNBU (Defense Council) and is by all accounts a centrist.

edit: In other news, the Ukrainian fleet is down to 10 ships. Russia has taken 51.

What bothers me is that numbers only add up to less than 45%.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He forgot "someone who won't screw me over I don't care who it is - 55,4%"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SHISHKABOB posted:

He forgot "someone who won't screw me over I don't care who it is - 55,4%"

The obvious problem here is that no matter who wins, there'll be more than enough people to get another Maidan started.

E: Never mind, Maidan is still going and won't probably take a break for presidential elections.
http://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1322185-na-stolichnomu-maydani-posadili-gorod-ta-buduyut-svinarnik
People grow vegetables and plan on raising pigs and chickens there.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 26, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If Vitali Klitschko won he could challenge Vladimir Putin on a duel to settle Crimean crisis man on man. Also he'd look awesome on any international meeting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm assuming there was an 'undecided' option as well.

Though I'd still be interested in seeing how well the Party of Regions and Communist Party candidates score.

e: can you post the source, Pale Horse?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm assuming there was an 'undecided' option as well.

Though I'd still be interested in seeing how well the Party of Regions and Communist Party candidates score.

e: can you post the source, Pale Horse?

I'm sure there was such an option. Anyway, the source is in Polish so I threw it through google translate.

quote:

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and oligarch leads in the polls before the presidential elections in Ukraine on 25 May. According to a survey published on Wednesday will vote for almost 25 per cent . voters Poroshenko also have won in the second round .

Willingness to vote for Poroshenka expressed 24.9 percent . respondents . In second place was the leader of the party Stroke Vitali Klitschko with the support of 8.9 percent . , On the third - former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko , which was supported by 8.2 percent . respondents.

The leader of the nationalist Svoboda Oleh Tiahnybok gained in the survey support 1.7 percent . respondents , and the head of the extreme nationalist Right Sector Dmytro Jarosz - 0.9 percent.

The study shows that Poroshenko certainly come to the second round , and chances are also Klitschko Tymoshenko and former Deputy Prime Minister Serhiy Tihipko . At the same time the survey gives Poroszence win in the second round of each of these rivals .

If the second round came Poroshenko and Klitschko , the first can count on 42.9 percent . votes , the second - at 15.3 percent. When rivalry with former Foreign Minister Tymoshenko would get 46.3 percent . votes, and former Prime Minister - 11.6 percent. If the second round went Poroshenko and Tihipko , voices rozłożyłyby , respectively: 50.8 percent . to 14.4 percent.

Respondents were also asked who they think - regardless of their personal sympathy - will be the President of Ukraine . 23.6 per cent . respondents felt that it would be Poroshenko , 8.8 percent . Tymoshenko expects to victory and winning Tihipko believes 3.6 percent . respondents .

The study was conducted from 14-19 March at a representative sample of 6200 people. The poll conducted : SOCIS center , Kiev International Institute of Sociology ( KMIS ) , a group of " Rating " and the Kiev center Analytical them . Razumkov .

http://www.tvn24.pl/kto-bedzie-prezydentem-ukrainy-poroszenko-wyraznie-przed-kliczka-i-tymoszenko,411726,s.html

Maybe one of our Ukrainian or Russian speaking brothers can try to find the article on Unian and maybe they have more information.

edit: I don't know if its the same in Ukrainian but UDAR in Polish means stroke (which is why its in the translate). The medical condition, not the verb. :laugh:

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The other 55% is 'Putin'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The silver lining to the Russian invasion from the pro-Western point of view is that they should have an easier time securing a majority with Crimea out of the picture and with the pro-Russian faction being mostly discredited. Are they still planning on having elections two months from now?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm sure there was such an option. Anyway, the source is in Polish so I threw it through google translate.

http://www.tvn24.pl/kto-bedzie-prezydentem-ukrainy-poroszenko-wyraznie-przed-kliczka-i-tymoszenko,411726,s.html

Maybe one of our Ukrainian or Russian speaking brothers can try to find the article on Unian and maybe they have more information.

edit: I don't know if its the same in Ukrainian but UDAR in Polish means stroke (which is why its in the translate). The medical condition, not the verb. :laugh:

UDAR here means punch in particular (and is a backronym as well)

http://www.unian.net/politics/900779-ukraintsyi-rasskazali-za-kogo-budut-golosovat-na-vyiborah-prezidenta-opros.html

It does have a few more candidates, as well as separate numbers for peole actually planning to vote. The eternal communist candidate Simnenko is at 3.6%
Actually 2nd most popular choice is "against all", at 9.7%

Wrt to Poroshenko, Russia has recently seized assets of his company in their territory on a shadey way.

Edit:
http://dumskaya.net/news/novyj-socopros-poroshenko-po-pregnemu-lidiruet-v-034094/
has a nice summary image. There are a lot of candidates, in part also because Party of Regions' situation is rather complicated right now.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 26, 2014

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 613 days!

Paladinus posted:

Heh, that is rather disconcerting. I would take that poll with a very large, Russian sized grain of salt.

As for "scuttle ships" chat. As one astute poster pointed out, it is possible to use up all the fuel, damage the engines, and sink the ships, while minimizing environmental impact. Also that harbor is loving grimy as hell already, you think the Russians and Ukrainians have been taking great care of it?

I think scuttling them in that fashion would have been a pretty dramatic statement, as well as a huge pain in the rear end for the Russians who would have to deal with repair/removal.

A good way to stick it to them, let the world know you are not OK with this, and prevent capture of assets.

Seems largely a winning move to me, but perhaps they really believed the Russians would let them leave until it was too late.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Actually, if I'm interpreting the article correctly, the pro-Western parties have a comfortable majority among people who are planning on voting (the number between brackets). By the same metric the two Party of Regions candidates would only get 15% of the vote. With the 5% for Simonenko added, that's only 20% for the Russophile side.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

OddObserver posted:

UDAR here means punch in particular (and is a backronym as well)

http://www.unian.net/politics/900779-ukraintsyi-rasskazali-za-kogo-budut-golosovat-na-vyiborah-prezidenta-opros.html

It does have a few more candidates, as well as separate numbers for peole actually planning to vote. The eternal communist candidate Simnenko is at 3.6%
Actually 2nd most popular choice is "against all", at 9.7%

Wrt to Poroshenko, Russia has recently seized assets of his company in their territory on a shadey way.

Edit:
http://dumskaya.net/news/novyj-socopros-poroshenko-po-pregnemu-lidiruet-v-034094/
has a nice summary image. There are a lot of candidates, in part also because Party of Regions' situation is rather complicated right now.

What is your opinion of Poroshenko OddObserver? My knowledge of Ukrainian oligarchs is very limited, is he seen as one of the good ones? Why is he apparently so popular?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pobama posted:

Heh, that is rather disconcerting. I would take that poll with a very large, Russian sized grain of salt.

As for "scuttle ships" chat. As one astute poster pointed out, it is possible to use up all the fuel, damage the engines, and sink the ships, while minimizing environmental impact. Also that harbor is loving grimy as hell already, you think the Russians and Ukrainians have been taking great care of it?

I think scuttling them in that fashion would have been a pretty dramatic statement, as well as a huge pain in the rear end for the Russians who would have to deal with repair/removal.

A good way to stick it to them, let the world know you are not OK with this, and prevent capture of assets.

Seems largely a winning move to me, but perhaps they really believed the Russians would let them leave until it was too late.

Hell, the Russians started the ship-sinking game in that harbor and I don't see the population getting that outraged about it. When you've been actively sold out and abandoned by the people of the port, it's hardly the time to worry about what the locals will think (outside of if the crews in question have local sympathies, although if they did they might've flipped to Russia on their own then).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've pulled into a Russian port before and they don't give a gently caress about "environmental impact." They dump sewage directly in the water. On the other side of a peninsula, people were playing in said water. No fucks were given.

The US ship couldn't just dump CHT in the water because policy is no dumping inside a certain distance from land and certainly not in port. So we paid for a CHT barge to tie up alongside for 5 days. They took our CHT and promptly dumped it right into the water.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

What is your opinion of Poroshenko OddObserver? My knowledge of Ukrainian oligarchs is very limited, is he seen as one of the good ones? Why is he apparently so popular?

I am too many years removed from living in Ukraine to have one. The comments on dumskaya in favor of him seem to range between him better than the rest of the candidates due to being kinda OK rather than just awful, to people viewing him outright positively as a competent centrist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd vote for Klitschko, half ironically and half sincerely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Obama about to speak on EU-US relations: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26750503

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Phlegmish posted:

I'd vote for Klitschko, half ironically and half sincerely.

I think I might as well - he hasn't had the chance to become a corrupt oligarch yet, right? I mean, sure, make him President and there's a good chance he will, but it's better than starting with someone who is one already.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Dolash posted:

I think I might as well - he hasn't had the chance to become a corrupt oligarch yet, right? I mean, sure, make him President and there's a good chance he will, but it's better than starting with someone who is one already.

I think he has the least chances of being corrupt. He's valued at 65 million dollars already from his sports career and spent extensive time living in Germany so he may have shed the plunder and loot everything immediately mentality. The question is that he's not experienced enough and whether he's taken too many hits to the skull during his boxing career. Still, he's probably who I would vote for if I was Ukrainian.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've pulled into a Russian port before and they don't give a gently caress about "environmental impact." They dump sewage directly in the water. On the other side of a peninsula, people were playing in said water. No fucks were given.

The US ship couldn't just dump CHT in the water because policy is no dumping inside a certain distance from land and certainly not in port. So we paid for a CHT barge to tie up alongside for 5 days. They took our CHT and promptly dumped it right into the water.

Their lack of fucks extends to radioactive waste too, it seems. Zapadnaya Litsa is apparently bad enough that at least Norway is starting to intervene out of concern.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 613 days!

ReidRansom posted:

Their lack of fucks extends to radioactive waste too, it seems. Zapadnaya Litsa is apparently bad enough that at least Norway is starting to intervene out of concern.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems to become clear that the ships we're allowed to be captured not out of some strong top down orders from above to not resist or provoke, but due to a complete lack of any viable command structure.

Basically the sailors we're scared, confused, and isolated. The government in Kiev, in so much as it is, let them down.

Not a single officer on one of the ships took an ounce of initiative ether. The weakness and disorganization is so complete, it's hard not to imagine Putin salivating at what would seemingly be a cakewalk in taking more of the nation.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Our tough guys on the internet were stabbed in the back by the lack of competent initiative from actual people in charge.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 613 days!

iv46vi posted:

Our tough guys on the internet were stabbed in the back by the lack of competent initiative from actual people in charge.

I'm not sure pondering why no-one took the initiative to scuttle their own ships when it became clear the Russians were just going to seize them all counts as "tough guy" behavior.

It's more symbolic than antagonizing.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

loving LOL. The resigning prime minister of Estonia gave this memorial coin to his staff members:

The coin has this memorial on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Soldier_of_Tallinn.

He relocated it, which led to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Night.

The coin currency is "1 bone of contention".

In light of current events, talk about stirring the pot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Actually, if I'm interpreting the article correctly, the pro-Western parties have a comfortable majority among people who are planning on voting (the number between brackets). By the same metric the two Party of Regions candidates would only get 15% of the vote. With the 5% for Simonenko added, that's only 20% for the Russophile side.

I'd say the biggest number of russophiles should fall on undecided since there's no obvious pro-Russian candidate approved by Russia yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Paladinus posted:

The primary source for the survey is here:

http://www.socis.kiev.ua/ua/press/rezultaty-sotsiolohichnoho-doslidzhennja-elektoralni-orijentatsiji-ukrajintsiv.html

There are a number of other candidates the article leaves out, the actual numbers are 70.2% for various candidates, 14.1% unsure, and 15.5% either not voting or against all candidates.

• Locked thread