Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anything you need to know about Sandcastle Builder? Can you play it blind or do you absolutely have to follow a guide? I get that it has a lot of moving parts, but step by step following a guide isn't very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Anything you need to know about Sandcastle Builder? Can you play it blind or do you absolutely have to follow a guide? I get that it has a lot of moving parts, but step by step following a guide isn't very interesting.

You can play it blind but you'll inevitably waste a day or 2 on inefficient poo poo then you'll get stumped by some puzzle or an other.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

Robo Reagan posted:

You can figure out base mechanics by paying attention and experimenting and you can unlock a lot just by messing with everything you can mess with until something happens. You're going to get stuck a bunch and miss quality-of-life stuff though, and you'll probably be sad if you start the reset process blind.

A big stumbling block is that you'll eventually outgrow the classic layout and unless they've updated to something sane you'll have to piece together a custom one yourself, and while the freedom's great once you get going it's a real pain to start. This is what I used at then-endgame with the screen zoomed out a bit, no idea if it's any use to anyone else but it made sense to me. Lots of name spoilers in it, of course.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
God yes, resets were rough my first couple of times. You blaze through some of the steps you remember really well and then hit a brick wall on the others you've forgotten on your climb up. As well, you'll need to switch to custom layout anyway since there's a bug with the logicat puzzles not appearing in your loot window, but you don't need to worry about that for another two weeks from start if you're not using Beachball plugin to auto-click redundakitties. I'm in the middle of the resets, just reached the 3rd bag. Gonna let it run through the night and then reset to break into the L3 prizes and get to post-scarcity on bonemeal resource.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 19, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Robo Reagan posted:

Only thing I'd recommend is to molpy down (prestige) once on NP 3. That's 1 hour in, and you won't lose a lot of progress and it opens up time travel MUCH earlier than otherwise. It will save you a lot of headache and wasted effort. The other mistakes you can make are all easily fixable, but I had to flush about 2 weeks of stuff my first run to no effect.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sindai posted:

It's not that bad. it's a multiplier, not a percent, so in your example it's actually a 37.2% bonus. At 10 million it doubles your income, and that's easy to hit since you can have 200-300k population then.

What's the fastest way to increase the build level of your town? That's a lot of clicks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's the fastest way to increase the build level of your town? That's a lot of clicks.

I turned on an autohotkey script. I don't have the patience to go above 150,000 though. That took forever as is. There's an upgrade somewhere that doubles the amount of scholars you get though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

I turned on an autohotkey script. I don't have the patience to go above 150,000 though. That took forever as is. There's an upgrade somewhere that doubles the amount of scholars you get though.

Oh, make sure you have Force Control (multibuy) on. It'll make everything increment by 10's

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I used the old mousekeys plus-5 trick and held down ctrl while watching something else for a minute or two.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So is there any point in anti-idle where it doesn't feel like you're killing yourself by not idling? I really like the idea of a stupid idle game that takes forever and a day to max out (outside the ones I already do), but whenever I look at AI:TG it's all pushing buttons constantly.

Also it only actually works when the tab is open as well right? That always kills my potato computer.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have Beachball give them problems in Sandcastle Builder? It worked fine at first, but today all it does is warn me when there's a Redundakitty but refuses to click it. Plus once the warning in the tab is there it doesn't go away so I don't know when they spawn after the first one. The only solution I've found is to refresh and run the script again.

e: Nevermind, found a Tampermonkey script that works perfectly.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 19, 2014

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Using the built-in javascript autoclicker method on Mine Defense (a new save means I've just gotten past steel :negative:) but I've gotten that upgrade that increases the chance of special discoveries in the quarry by an amount determined by the number of times you've clicked in the last second. This... is a useful way for me to get Perfects and Majestics for now, I guess, until the numbers get to the point where the quarry discovery quantities are trivial.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Agent355 posted:

So is there any point in anti-idle where it doesn't feel like you're killing yourself by not idling? I really like the idea of a stupid idle game that takes forever and a day to max out (outside the ones I already do), but whenever I look at AI:TG it's all pushing buttons constantly.

Also it only actually works when the tab is open as well right? That always kills my potato computer.

Technically when it's closed you get a rested buff based on how long, but no it needs to be open. And you get more idling options the farther you get. It's a great game to semi-idle, but eventually you get autoharvest and I'm rank 411 in the battle arena from about 90% idling. Generally I come home, do as many quests as I can before I can't skip and can't or don't want to finish it, and maybe do a couple raids in the BA. Tree maintenance/adventures/lolmarket can all be handled about once every 30 minutes to an hour if you're around at all, or just kind of let it run. Just idling in BA alone will get you pretty drat far, especially now that auto-fight is the same speed as fight.

e: get a computer that can run a browser

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone needs to make an android app idler that's like Mine Defense/Sandcastle/Shark Game. I want more to collect than just one thing.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Len posted:

Someone needs to make an android app idler that's like Mine Defense/Sandcastle/Shark Game. I want more to collect than just one thing.

I really feel like that's key to the design: nobody wants to collect just one kind of thing. Phasing through different currencies or meta-currencies over time gives you a sense of progression, and especially those that last through prestige or rearrange how you think about earlier currencies etc. have a large impact on how the game plays, which keeps it from just being "oh hey this number went up more I guess".

I'm collecting essence for my dragon now, and it's not *that* bad. I'm at ~60k combined and it'll probably take me 2-3 days to get to 100k. If it goes up higher than that (or I'm mistaken and you need 100k of one of them) then yes, it's a little bit excessive. I'm at about 80k population and I really don't understand why you don't get a buy 1/10/100 option as your population goes up. I can easily afford at least 200k pop and I just don't really want to click it up. Maybe I'll just console it like I did the conquests since it's not really about anything but reducing the number of times I have to hammer my keypad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eldercain posted:

I really feel like that's key to the design: nobody wants to collect just one kind of thing. Phasing through different currencies or meta-currencies over time gives you a sense of progression, and especially those that last through prestige or rearrange how you think about earlier currencies etc. have a large impact on how the game plays, which keeps it from just being "oh hey this number went up more I guess".

I'm collecting essence for my dragon now, and it's not *that* bad. I'm at ~60k combined and it'll probably take me 2-3 days to get to 100k. If it goes up higher than that (or I'm mistaken and you need 100k of one of them) then yes, it's a little bit excessive. I'm at about 80k population and I really don't understand why you don't get a buy 1/10/100 option as your population goes up. I can easily afford at least 200k pop and I just don't really want to click it up. Maybe I'll just console it like I did the conquests since it's not really about anything but reducing the number of times I have to hammer my keypad.

To get 10% of a dragon upgrade is 100k of a single essence. It is beyond silly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kyrosiris posted:

Java console: var autoclick = setInterval(MD.dig,100)

Alter 100 to how often you want to autoclick in milliseconds (100 is 10 clicks a second, etc).

Can someone please give a "java for dummies" guide to doing this in Firefox? I thought I just pasted it into the scratchpad and clicked run, but it keeps giving me errors. :negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Can someone please give a "java for dummies" guide to doing this in Firefox? I thought I just pasted it into the scratchpad and clicked run, but it keeps giving me errors. :negative:

Use Chrome or get Greasemonkey and rig it up as a script for that.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Len posted:

To get 10% of a dragon upgrade is 100k of a single essence. It is beyond silly.

Do you have to choose one and keep feeding it that one? Or does the type it changes to depend on which one it ate the most of or something? From code-surfing it looks like you have to grind up one of each, get the upgrade for it, and then when you've made all 4 you can progress. So I guess so long dragons, enjoy your portal adventure :(

Does the autoclick variable still work? I tried to set it up because I want the adamantium from the earth picks, but I'm not entirely sure if it's running or not. It's possible that my wyverns are just way outpacing clicking, and I know it won't make a dent in gems/gold so I guess the answer for me is who cares.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

neogeo0823 posted:

Ctrl+Shift+K to open the Console.
At the very bottom is an input box, paste whatever you want in there.
Enjoy!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eldercain posted:

Do you have to choose one and keep feeding it that one? Or does the type it changes to depend on which one it ate the most of or something? From code-surfing it looks like you have to grind up one of each, get the upgrade for it, and then when you've made all 4 you can progress. So I guess so long dragons, enjoy your portal adventure :(

Does the autoclick variable still work? I tried to set it up because I want the adamantium from the earth picks, but I'm not entirely sure if it's running or not. It's possible that my wyverns are just way outpacing clicking, and I know it won't make a dent in gems/gold so I guess the answer for me is who cares.

I'm not sure exactly how it works. After you get the novice levels you pick an essence type and then its a shitload of food or pop, I forgot which it said neither matter, and 100k of that essence. And there's like 8 dragons.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a way to jack up the number of votes or whatever the thumbsup currency is in Matter of Scale? I retrained my manager and got a lovely one so I want to jack up the amount I have so I can just retrain and get more managers. As far as I know it's impossible to get more without waiting for the popups.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cowman posted:

Is there a way to jack up the number of votes or whatever the thumbsup currency is in Matter of Scale? I retrained my manager and got a lovely one so I want to jack up the amount I have so I can just retrain and get more managers. As far as I know it's impossible to get more without waiting for the popups.

I don't know the mechanism but they slowly accrue over time. I don't know if it's a set amount or maybe finishing highish tier settlements but I have 5 managers and don't even have the 50 vote feat.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Cowman posted:

From the java console, sure: game.time_currency(X)

Replace X with however many votes (the thumbs up currency) you want.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm trying to get on in Mine Defence, I seem to have gotten all upgrades before dragons come into play but I have no idea how to unlock them.

It currently says I need more mages, currently sitting with 361 of them so I have no idea how many more I might need .

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

e: ^^^ ah, a fellow sufferer

The oracle is telling me I need more mages to get dragons, and I'm stuck at 372 or so where they cost in the undecillions. How can I boost my gold production to be able to buy the rest, or is there a better way to get the remaining 28 or so I'm guessing I need to unlock the dragon nest?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You're nowhere near dragon nest. 400 mages just lets you take the first step in that direction.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

So what should be our real next step?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

So what should be our real next step?

400 mages unlocks the first shrine, you need several before you can get the nest. You also need to spam the hell out of wars.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

400 mages unlocks the first shrine, you need several before you can get the nest. You also need to spam the hell out of wars.

Okay so, great, I need 400 mages like I guessed to get to the next bit. How am I supposed to afford the rest, or do I just have to wait for my alchemists to make enough units to boost gold production high enough?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Okay so, great, I need 400 mages like I guessed to get to the next bit. How am I supposed to afford the rest, or do I just have to wait for my alchemists to make enough units to boost gold production high enough?

I think the steel pick makes autoclicking yield plenty of gold again but I don't remember for sure.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Start alchemizing queens, world eaters, and baggers. There are upgrades that makes ants gain more gold per bagger and WEs gain more gold per ant. Ants and WEs were most of my gold generation when I was buying my way up to 400 mages.

Also the one billion rock golem upgrade gives you a free mage at random on average every half hour or so, but I think I got that later.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Robo Reagan posted:

You can play blind. Molyping down on NP3 is good advice. The other general advice I'd give is to not run away from bad-seeming things that happen, since they tend to pay off if you stick with them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You can play blind. Molyping down on NP3 is good advice. The other general advice I'd give is to not run away from bad-seeming things that happen, since they tend to pay off if you stick with them.

Other generally harmless advice: Toggle the poo poo out of chromatic heresy when you get it for a pretty nice QoL boost (don't click when there's a red border! at least at first). Don't fret too much about tons of clicking/autoclicker, it's not gonna help all THAT much. Don't be afraid to ask questions or look up a specific part of a guide if you are really and truly stuck, but often times the best thing is to go for a boost or use a recently acquired boost as a springboard for what to do next. A lot of the early game has a really nice sequence to it. Having the stats bar open will sometimes hide toggles so if it seems like it should toggle, it probably does and close stats.

Anything else is really too specific.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Yeah, don't bother with an autoclicker in sandcastle builder.

Eldercain posted:

Other generally harmless advice: Toggle the poo poo out of chromatic heresy when you get it for a pretty nice QoL boost

Speaking of which, mash the Save button. The game doesn't autosave by default, you have to unlock it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's a couple instances where an auto-clicker is a great boon, but they are far into the future during resets (Molpying down) to get back into infinite glass blocks with Glass Saw, for example.

And yeah, auto Save being behind an unlock is a dumb trick.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Shark Game is now v0.7. I hope you enjoy. There's still missing images, so I'll be updating those in batches as I get them done.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reached the Bag of Jolting and now that I'm actually considering the prizes it provides it seems I should have stopped at Eww. None of them are particularly noteworthy (aside from *maybe* Mould Press) for what they provide after the reset loop. Their only benefit is to further reduce the time per reset to get back to producing bonemeal and vacuums in quantity but there's no bags after Jolting. A branch of development that was never reconsidered after they revamped it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cirrial posted:

Shark Game is now v0.7. I hope you enjoy. There's still missing images, so I'll be updating those in batches as I get them done.

The images for Sharkgame are ridiculously charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

Sage Grimm posted:

Reached the Bag of Jolting and now that I'm actually considering the prizes it provides it seems I should have stopped at Eww. None of them are particularly noteworthy (aside from *maybe* Mould Press) for what they provide after the reset loop. Their only benefit is to further reduce the time per reset to get back to producing bonemeal and vacuums in quantity but there's no bags after Jolting. A branch of development that was never reconsidered after they revamped it?
The current? main dev was determined to never reset so yeah the whole thing's pretty bad, last tier especially so. I think ED was talking about poking at it but I have no idea if he did. Some of the prizes are really nice to have, but the few that are basically necessary have duplicate boosts (explicitly added by that dev to avoid resetting), so you're left feeling like you've mostly wasted your time. It's probably worthwhile?

Is that one dogshit prize that breaks your game for a couple of bonemeal still around? Crunchy with mustard, I think?

Cowman posted:

You can savescum this too, if that feels better. There's a huge mod that gives damage to tier x for every tier y unit (or better yet, every other unit), and it's even better when you can swap in another manager to slash prices. Shame the game doesn't go anywhere, though.

Sage Grimm posted:

And yeah, auto Save being behind an unlock is a dumb trick.
Not really, I imagine it's very deliberate - you're sure to stumble across it and it puts you in a good mindset for the rest of the game (ie pay attention and mess with stuff).

OG17 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread