Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I was a bit disappointed that the only structures you could enter were plot relevant. It would have been nice to have been able to climb into some windows or pick the locks on a few residences that had nothing to do with the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Cartheon posted:

I was a bit disappointed that the only structures you could enter were plot relevant. It would have been nice to have been able to climb into some windows or pick the locks on a few residences that had nothing to do with the plot.

I'd bet that's where the other ~300 in loot was, but with all the painted-on doors you just don't think to check for the ones that actually go somewhere.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I want to report that in the Dark Mod guards just totally relit candle lamps in "Sneak and Destroy". I'm pretty sure I've seen them relight a torch on a different map, and, of course, there is not enough annoyance in the world for their electric-light relighting capabilities... Oh, yes, torch-relighting happened on "Accountant: A Noble Home" for me, I'm pretty sure.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

supermikhail posted:

I want to report that in the Dark Mod guards just totally relit candle lamps in "Sneak and Destroy". I'm pretty sure I've seen them relight a torch on a different map, and, of course, there is not enough annoyance in the world for their electric-light relighting capabilities... Oh, yes, torch-relighting happened on "Accountant: A Noble Home" for me, I'm pretty sure.

Yes. It has to be turned on by the mapper for individual guard and for each switch or torch that's supposed to be relit. As for electric lights, this functionality is relatively new, so you won't see this behavior on older maps.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gantolandon posted:

Yes. It has to be turned on by the mapper for individual guard and for each switch or torch that's supposed to be relit. As for electric lights, this functionality is relatively new, so you won't see this behavior on older maps.

Is there a 'getting real goddamn sick of this torch' behaviour where they dont relight it?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is there a 'getting real goddamn sick of this torch' behaviour where they dont relight it?

Yes. I believe they give up if they have to relight it several times.

Cedric
Nov 17, 2007

"Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do."
This is a little late but I really liked the Basso cutscene when you first meet him in this game. That was actually well done!

That's about the only thing, though. Well, the graphics are nice, but that was true for Thief 3 too, which still suffered from the X-Box limitations. But it did have Stephen Russell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gantolandon posted:

On the other hand, the basement is probably the most obvious trap ever. I remember going through this mission and becoming increasingly alarmed after going through long, narrow stairs into a vast, dark series of rooms with multiple exit and having to light a fireplace able to illuminate most of the level. I expected to have an another showdown of the Lich Queen, though.

It makes sense in the retrospect that the guards did find Thomas, because of that lit fireplace. The smoke had to go somewhere and the house haven't been inhabited by anyone since a long time ago. If you are a fugitive who wants to hide in an abandoned building, take a warm blanket with you

It has to be said: Thomas Porter is a moron.

He's not a fugitive at that point. The work he was doing for the bookseller was aboveboard.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And now it's time for a revelation that acts like it should answer some questions but really just muddies the waters even further.

Unique Loot: Ancient Figurine
Memory of the Dead: Stonemason's Memory
Client Loot: Ritual Book

Okay, I am *extremely* behind, I realize that, but I wanted to get this joke out before I forgot:

Thieftaker General (with low, growley voice): "I'll get you next time, Garret! NEXT TIME!!!"
Thieftaker General's cat: "Mraoowwww!"

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

He's not a fugitive at that point. The work he was doing for the bookseller was aboveboard.

The bookseller was murdered by someone. Where could the culprit hide?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

New Instructions
Traitorsgate Report
Register of Stolen Goods
Bait and Switches 4
Pinned Castinets: Greater Ruststain
Courtyard Map?
City Heritage Plaques: Elias Northcrest Statue
Eastwick's Letter

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wow. City plaque just sticking out of the floor right at the end, as well as just falling off a ledge without moving. Great.

That being said, you're right about this being visually pretty good, as it all looks and feels like a Baron's mansion, and there's lots of loot to explore, making this feel like an actual Thief game! I'm thinking that this level was designed first, or very early on, before the rush-it-out-the-door feeling (or just general fatigue) crept over everyone involved.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I believe I missed the point where the revolution turned evil. I mean, yeah, it was obvious from the moment we saw Orion's beard, but I must've blinked and missed The Revelation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I believe I missed the point where the revolution turned evil. I mean, yeah, it was obvious from the moment we saw Orion's beard, but I must've blinked and missed The Revelation.

Well, right now is the point where the game subtly presents certain parallels to suggest to the player that the resistance may be Not So Different from their former oppressors--the hanging in the street, the fact that both sides will go after Garrett. The actual twist that capitalizes on this presentation doesn't occur until the next episode.

Of course, since the game is Thi4f, the parallels aren't subtle at all and you're left wondering why you were expected to believe that the Graven Dawn were ever the good guys.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
At least Dishonored didn't make the revelation super blatantly obvious unless you read journals and stuff, and honestly who READS in a videogame?

Note that I am saying super blatantly obvious. It's still pretty obvious after a couple of missions but not this bad.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but writing was never a strong point of Dishonored and the game more than makes up for it. Here, well, it's all down to good ol'facial hair, villainstache and villainbeard.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Wasn't that empty estate in the beginning the police station or whatever one of the side missions from the circus guy takes place in?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Graven Dawn annoy me because real-life revolutionaries and political movements are always called the simplest things possible, whether by themselves or others. The Yellow Turbans (article of clothing). Guelphs and Ghibellines (dynasty and a castle, respectively). The Jacquerie (article of clothing). Roundheads. The Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks. The Provos. Shining Path. The Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei, wait, scratch that.

Was this written before or after Golden Dawn became a big thing? It's just three letters off.

(By the way, the Wikipedia list of peasant revolts list unsuccessful revolts in a nice shade of green and successful ones in alarming red.)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 2, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei, wait, scratch that.

Was this written before or after Golden Dawn became a big thing? It's just three letters off.

(By the way, the Wikipedia list of peasant revolts list successful revolts in a nice shade of green and unsuccessful ones in alarming red.)

Golden Dawn has been A Thing for quite a few years. It's been on the fringes of actual politics though, never getting into parliament until a few years back, but definitely before Thi4f came out, so it's possible that it may have influenced the name, since development was going on while Golden Dawn was first becoming more visible.

Regarding The Conspiracy Of Fire Nuclei, I wouldn't really call them a revolutionary movement, from what I know at least. They had some successes in what they did, and they're being mentioned a bit again now with a certain high-profile arrest here in Greece, but overall they're not on the level of November 17, which was, similarly, not a movement, but a terrorist organization.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Bobbin, have you given any thought to LPing Dishonored in the future? I think your co-commentators have earned the chance to comment on the actually good game that Thi4f is trying so hard to be.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr Snofeld posted:

Bobbin, have you given any thought to LPing Dishonored in the future? I think your co-commentators have earned the chance to comment on the actually good game that Thi4f is trying so hard to be.

This is a really good suggestion, actually.

I'd also like to point out how great it works out watching the Dark Mod playthrough concurrently with this, just because it really illustrates why you have such a hate-on for Thi4f. The flaws of the game become really apparent, and it made me want to go back and watch your playthroughs of Thief 1-3. And that's when it really hit me why I instinctively disliked Thi4f so goddamned much.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Dr Snofeld posted:

You Gotta Be Taffing Me. Let's Play the New Thief(s) [TF]

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

There is a mission in Thief Gold where Garrett disguises himself as a Hammerite novice

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Serperoth posted:

Golden Dawn has been A Thing for quite a few years. It's been on the fringes of actual politics though, never getting into parliament until a few years back, but definitely before Thi4f came out, so it's possible that it may have influenced the name, since development was going on while Golden Dawn was first becoming more visible.

Regarding The Conspiracy Of Fire Nuclei, I wouldn't really call them a revolutionary movement, from what I know at least. They had some successes in what they did, and they're being mentioned a bit again now with a certain high-profile arrest here in Greece, but overall they're not on the level of November 17, which was, similarly, not a movement, but a terrorist organization.
That would however imply that these developers actually did research to some extent so I'm not so sure :v: also this Graven group are not racist but more classist and badly written to the point of making me not give a poo poo whether the City burns or not.

Seriously, gently caress this, I am actually pissed off they made the revolution so villainous without any form of constraint after half the game was telling us what dickfests the upper class were, at least BioShock Infinite had the excuse of an alternate reality.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Here's something I was wondering about. NPCs keep talking about 'sloop'. I think there's a conversation somewhere with some people wondering what's in it, but do they ever actually say what it is? Some kind of food/drink/drug is all I could gather. They seriously talk about it all the time.

"Vase" is just pronounced "vars" here in Australia. I always thought it was just another US vs UK difference.

Actually a few different parts of this level were used to show off the game at different times during development, so you guys may be onto something there in guessing that it was done relatively early on. I'd be surprised if this level wasn't the vertical slice that was mentioned recently in the thread.

You know what I was thinking in that library with all the guards? "If this was in the earlier games, having that marble flooring everywhere would mean you'd have to navigate the room entirely via climbing over the shelves and rafters; it would be interesting."

For daylight missions in the early Thief games, along with Cragscleft I think there was also the one where you find the Mechanist submarine in Thief 2. From memory that was during the day, but it was overcast/foggy (and then you went underground for most of it, as in Cragscleft).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Vase" is originally a French word, so the pronunciation would depend, not only on the price of the item itself, but on the pretentiousness of the user.

So you were right, Kalon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've been craving a Bobbin Threadbare Dishonored LP since it came out.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

Here's something I was wondering about. NPCs keep talking about 'sloop'. I think there's a conversation somewhere with some people wondering what's in it, but do they ever actually say what it is? Some kind of food/drink/drug is all I could gather. They seriously talk about it all the time.

I believe there's a document you can find in Stonemarket which explains that sloop is basically the local "throw whatever's left in the pantry into the pot" soup.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I can't hear 'sloop' without my mind going "Sloop Kid never leaves his sloop!"

Also if it is supposed to be a pantry-in-the-pot dish, they could have picked a less unappetizing name.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even the level that decides to rip off Thief (for once) is a letdown so far. So few guards and they're so easy to deal with.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

HnK416 posted:

I can't hear "sloop" without thinking of a boat, at least yours makes more thematic sense.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe there's a document you can find in Stonemarket which explains that sloop is basically the local "throw whatever's left in the pantry into the pot" soup.

Ah, okay.

Strange that they don't seem to mind adding their own new slang terms considering they did away with the iconic "taffer".

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
This looked to me identical to the level from E3 2013, although that was the only footage I'd seen before the release.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

HnK416 posted:

Also if it is supposed to be a pantry-in-the-pot dish, they could have picked a less unappetizing name.

Not any real flavour, not any recognisable ingredients, just a sort of slop-soup. Sloup

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

HnK416 posted:

UnwiseTrout posted:

I can't hear "sloop" without thinking of a boat, at least yours makes more thematic sense.

I thought this too first time I heard them say it.

But now I'm thinking Sloop Dogg. Tellin' it how it is hard life on the streets with nothin' to eat before adoring throngs of 3 fans. :snoop:

ninja: And they're so hungry they're really talking about eating him. Grimdark times.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Antistar01 posted:

Ah, okay.

Strange that they don't seem to mind adding their own new slang terms considering they did away with the iconic "taffer".

Because the designers are big boys are girls and they want to use big boy and girl words like "fucker."

Wait! All the dark eye-liner nu-Garret wears; his Batman rip-off personality; the pixie-cut, black-haired love interest who has daddy issues; the desire to use curse words; and the lovely world that is falling apart... Don't you all see? This game was made by 17 year old emo/goth kids. (Or more likely for 17 year old emo/goth kids.) They should have just had Linkin Park as the soundtrack for the game and the whole thing would have been perfect.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
RULES OF NATURE

*Nu-garret ineffectually swings his club at a guard*

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
To be fair, some music in the real Thiefs is pretty nu-metal: http://youtu.be/ppV2EMfbk0w?t=40s :) (I can't do genres of music. :eng99:)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's more electro-industrial.

Who did the music for the original Thief games, was it all internal studio stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

supermikhail posted:

To be fair, some music in the real Thiefs is pretty nu-metal: http://youtu.be/ppV2EMfbk0w?t=40s :) (I can't do genres of music. :eng99:)

Always reminded me of klepacki's stuff

• Locked thread