Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

croc suit posted:

Good thing the host of that show was never involved in any controversy.

He never said anything racial about those happy clappy Jappy chappies on Takeshi's Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Danny John-Jules still acts in BBC shows, he could present it. Rimmer does a tech show on Channel 5 and Kryten does Scrapheap Challenge but the Cat's still on the BBC, he's the perfect choice.

also I did think it was funny how Jonathan Pearce was really opposed to goal-line technology in football and didn't understand how it worked after he commentated Robot Wars for years. :allears:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I know a guy (only to say hello to) who used to drive a robot for robot wars. He said the money was poo poo.
Thanks for listening to my story.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

Or the BBC could bring back Robot Wars, that show was great. You don't need Clarkson to make a fun programme about engineering and machines.

Clarkson was the host of Robot Wars for a series, lest we forget. I still associate him strongly with the show, in part because I imagine he was embarrassed to ever be involved with it.

e: I remember most of my school being obsessed with Robot Wars to the point of considering entering it, despite us all being 10 and knowing no basic engineering. The only thing I remember was that "no flamethrowers" was apparently stipulated in the rules.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JFairfax posted:

He was a closet Catholic who hates Islam who had the opportunity to join a crusade and took it.

I remember being at Glastonbury festival in 1997 and everyone was ridiculously optimistic about Tony Blair and the labour government.

Now look at it, PFI, sold all the gold, war legacy. loving hosed it up didn't he.

That one was Gordon Brown. On the other hand if Tony had had his way we'd be in the Euro now, which sadly in retrospect it turns out would have been a terrible idea.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

croc suit posted:

Good thing the host of that show was never involved in any controversy.

Had to go wikipedia that actually, hadn't heard anything about him

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

This is a somewhat stupid article because Top Gear already covers those cars. I'm pretty sure Clarkson even reviewed the BMW i8 and loved it (up until he discovered it had a puny tank and surprisingly rubbish fuel economy). A lot of the criticism seems to be coming from people who haven't actually watched it and assume it's getting used as a mouthpiece for global warming denial or something when it basically isn't. Even when Jeremy does fart out Tory talking points it's done in the clearly understood context that he is an oaf.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Maybe Channel 4 could sell them Scrapheap Challenge, which is like all the fun Top Gear vehicle building challenges without all the horrible opinions. Or the BBC could bring back Robot Wars, that show was great. You don't need Clarkson to make a fun programme about engineering and machines. Or if they wanted to keep it about cars, replace him with Steve Coogan or Rowan Atkinson - they're both funny and know a lot about cars but aren't terrible people (AFAIK, are they on the History's Greatest Monster list?).
The 'joke' of Top Gear is that the presenters are all pretty obviously stupid, annoying people irl as well as on the show, but are also self-aware enough to realise they are overgrown manchildren. Hence the whole 'ambitious but rubbish' schtick and it actually being very funny when their carboats sink or their converted estate cars break down in the desert. Character actors aren't going to easily build that chemistry in a magazine show format, where they have to wear multiple hats.

Scrapheap Challenge and Robot Wars just remind me of Red Dwarf and make me sad. At least the Cat is having fun in the Caribbean now.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 11, 2015

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

feedmegin posted:

That one was Gordon Brown. On the other hand if Tony had had his way we'd be in the Euro now, which sadly in retrospect it turns out would have been a terrible idea.

Just to clarify on this because lots of people seem to take issue with the wrong part of the gold sale; the problem was that the sale was announced in advance, not that the gold was sold.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Hey, nobody commented on this, but thanks for this and well done. I am still loosely attached to the university even though I left the UK and I was pretty shocked when i heard about what happened, and pretty disgusted with the email that was sent by the chancellor, Nigel Thrift afterwards, in which he complains, among others about the protests causing £6000 in damage, which would be less than a weeks' wage for him.

I've had a great time at the Life science department at Warwick and met some wonderful students there, but the higher you went up the ladder the more lovely people tended to become.

Cheers, I think it got lost at the bottom of a page. I've been at Warwick for an undergrad and now a PhD, it's a weird, contradictory place.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I know a guy (only to say hello to) who used to drive a robot for robot wars. He said the money was poo poo.
Thanks for listening to my story.

Presumably all the money went towards buying Craig Charles ALL THE CRACK.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Telegraph and Guardian are holding talks with the Tories, Labour, UKIP, Lib Dems, and Greens to run a debate in collaboration with Google/Youtube. Regional parties apparently need not apply: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...-stalemate.html

quote:

The three main party leaders are considering an invitation from The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and Google to a five way election debate broadcast on the internet.
The news came amid growing anger at the way mainstream broadcasters have handled their negotiations over plans for separate debates on the BBC, ITV and Channel Four.
Telegraph Media Group – which publishes The Telegraph - The Guardian and Google – the owner of the YouTube video website - invited the leaders to a five way “digital debate” on the eve of the general election campaign
The Tories’ David Cameron, Labour leader Ed Miliband, the Liberal Democrats’ Nick Clegg, the UK Independence Party’s Nigel Farage and the Greens’ Natalie Bennett on March 26 or 27.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Even when Jeremy does fart out Tory talking points it's done in the clearly understood context that he is an oaf.
I feel the same way about Nige Farage but seemingly he has a bit of a following these days.

Kegluneq posted:

The 'joke' of Top Gear is that the presenters are all pretty obviously stupid, annoying people irl as well as on the show, but are also self-aware enough to realise they are overgrown manchildren. Hence the whole 'ambitious but rubbish' schtick and it actually being very funny when their carboats sink or their converted estate cars break down in the desert.
You underestimate the ability for people to miss this "joke" and think it's a celebration of 'the lads' having a bit of a bant and messing about in sheds.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A joke....like on Top Gear

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Didn't make the Shortlist for the NHS, but got a funded PhD. So there's that. If academia indeed sucks, I can try and reapply next year.

Now to find a flat in North-West England!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Meld Scrapheap Challenge and Robot Wars into one show where people build giant robots out of old cars and washing machines and cattle grids and then they drive around an arena trying to kill Jeremy Clarkson.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kegluneq posted:

This is a somewhat stupid article because Top Gear already covers those cars. I'm pretty sure Clarkson even reviewed the BMW i8 and loved it (up until he discovered it had a puny tank and surprisingly rubbish fuel economy). A lot of the criticism seems to be coming from people who haven't actually watched it and assume it's getting used as a mouthpiece for global warming denial or something when it basically isn't. Even when Jeremy does fart out Tory talking points it's done in the clearly understood context that he is an oaf.

The 'joke' of Top Gear is that the presenters are all pretty obviously stupid, annoying people irl as well as on the show, but are also self-aware enough to realise they are overgrown manchildren. Hence the whole 'ambitious but rubbish' schtick and it actually being very funny when their carboats sink or their converted estate cars break down in the desert. Character actors aren't going to easily build that chemistry in a magazine show format, where they have to wear multiple hats.

Scrapheap Challenge and Robot Wars just remind me of Red Dwarf and make me sad. At least the Cat is having fun in the Caribbean now.

As people have already stated but it bares repeating: The giant following top gear has is not because people find it "funny". It's because they find Clarksons "blokey" non-pc ways to be aspirational. He "tells it like it is" which is code for "insults a working class mexican who's life is already pretty lovely" because being a mean jerk is fun and makes you alpha.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

sebzilla posted:

Meld Scrapheap Challenge and Robot Wars into one show where people build giant robots out of old cars and washing machines and cattle grids and then they drive around an arena trying to kill Jeremy Clarkson.

aka Mad Max Demolition Derby

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EmptyVessel posted:

I feel the same way about Nige Farage but seemingly he has a bit of a following these days.

You underestimate the ability for people to miss this "joke" and think it's a celebration of 'the lads' having a bit of a bant and messing about in sheds.

Not really a response, just thought it was amusing.

Regarde Aduck posted:

As people have already stated but it bares repeating: The giant following top gear has is not because people find it "funny". It's because they find Clarksons "blokey" non-pc ways to be aspirational. He "tells it like it is" which is code for "insults a working class mexican who's life is already pretty lovely" because being a mean jerk is fun and makes you alpha.
'Dear so-called "Top Gear"...'

Thanks for proving my point about critics not watching the show, I guess. I honestly don't remember any instance of a Top Gear presenter mocking anyone directly who was not also a Top Gear presenter. I also don't remember any genuine meanness in any context. There are plenty of things to criticise about Top Gear but you've managed to miss them completely.

Also the weird racist rant against Mexicans was Hammond. I've no idea what you're referencing.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 11, 2015

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Wikipedia has a helpful list of Mr Clarkson's controversial actions on Top Gear here which might help refresh your memory.

My solution would be to add a fourth presenter - Robbie Coltrane. He likes motors and driving and is big enough physically not to be intimidated by Clarkson. The differences in their politics would guarantee friction and we could all make bets on how long Clarkson could resist anti-Scottish jibes and how badly they would backfire. Sadly I think Coltrane is probably getting a bit old for this.

Alternatively, as he's already said he's off to sign on, give him his own show - Top Giro - showcasing the various wacky ways he tries to stretch his benefits while avoiding getting sanctioned.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Wikipedia has a helpful list of Mr Clarkson's controversial actions on Top Gear here which might help refresh your memory.
Whatever Regarde Aduck was thinking of wasn't on there, so not much help. :shrug:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Kegluneq posted:

I've noticed it seems to be a common thing that the Guardian likes taking potshots at Top Gear at every opportunity they can, but it rarely if ever seems like the writers have actually seen the episodes all the fuss is about. The comments in the article are quite amusing because on one hand you have the "PC feminist do-gooders!!! Whats this namby pamby country coming to?! GRRR!!!" crowd and on the other hand you have the "If you drive a car you are a CHILD MURDERER AND KILL PEOPLE EVERY DAY IN YOUR HUNK OF STEEL now let me tell you about organic food and Karl Marx" crowd clashing together in a furball of stupidity.

EmptyVessel posted:

My solution would be to add a fourth presenter - Robbie Coltrane. He likes motors and driving and is big enough physically not to be intimidated by Clarkson. The differences in their politics would guarantee friction and we could all make bets on how long Clarkson could resist anti-Scottish jibes and how badly they would backfire. Sadly I think Coltrane is probably getting a bit old for this.

Actually I'd like to think that Clarkson would take the piss out the Scots and Coltrane would give as good as he gets and take the piss out of the English right back in the good natured fun way the three presenters do to eachother.

Kegluneq posted:

Whatever Regarde Aduck was thinking of wasn't on there, so not much help. :shrug:

He's joking.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Ludicro posted:

I've noticed it seems to be a common thing that the Guardian likes taking potshots at Top Gear at every opportunity they can, but it rarely if ever seems like the writers have actually seen the episodes all the fuss is about. The comments in the article are quite amusing because on one hand you have the "PC feminist do-gooders!!! Whats this namby pamby country coming to?! GRRR!!!" crowd and on the other hand you have the "If you drive a car you are a CHILD MURDERER AND KILL PEOPLE EVERY DAY IN YOUR HUNK OF STEEL now let me tell you about organic food and Karl Marx" crowd clashing together in a furball of stupidity.
Neither side even owns a TV!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Instead of a petition on Jeremy Clarkson. We should start a petition to get Robot Wars back.

I want to see Razer again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ludicro posted:

I hadn't realised that Marx was the prophet of wishy-washy liberalism.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Actually I'd like to think that Clarkson would take the piss out the Scots and Coltrane would give as good as he gets and take the piss out of the English right back in the good natured fun way the three presenters do to eachother.

Zigackly.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Extreme0 posted:

Instead of a petition on Jeremy Clarkson. We should start a petition to get Robot Wars back.

Was getting boring towards the end. Either you went for the Wedge shaped flipper or the Spinning disc and nothing else could compete.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

Was getting boring towards the end. Either you went for the Wedge shaped flipper or the Spinning disc and nothing else could compete.

I miss Mortis...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Extreme0 posted:

Razer sucked, Hypnodisc forever :colbert:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-31832392

This is a landmark ruling regarding divorce settlements. I don't really know how I feel about this ruling that there are no time limits on claiming divorce settlements.

I guess this all depends on how it's taken. As far as I'm aware this is simply a ruling on how long after the fact you can claim. That said this is a pretty shameless grab for money so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope it's that she gets what she would have been awarded had she claimed at the time of the divorce

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tsietisin posted:

That's because everything fun was banned. Allow projectiles, high voltage, jamming, and hacking, and have it on a military testing range (they can use one of the spare ones that Top Gear always used).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's because everything fun was banned. Allow projectiles, high voltage, jamming, and hacking, and have it on a military testing range (they can use one of the spare ones that Top Gear always used).

How do you accommodate the live audience, though? Projectiles seem like a giant, obvious no-no there.

Also, jamming seems like it'd result in more boring fights.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends how clever you get. Fancy single board computers that could keep the robot doing something in absence of a control signal are a lot more widely available now than they were when it originally aired.

Depending on how competent the team is, that might just be wheeling around in circles flailing every weapon in every direction. Which would be fun to watch on TV at least.

e: It would probably still go through the same evolutionary process as the original, just culminating in two line-of-sight controlled bots trying to throw balls at one another from opposite sides of a field or something instead. Maybe changing a rule every season or something would change things up.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you accommodate the live audience, though? Projectiles seem like a giant, obvious no-no there.

Also, jamming seems like it'd result in more boring fights.

They chose to be in the audience, they knew the risks. A few members of the public sacrificed to amazing robot carnage based entertainment seems reasonable to me.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe changing a rule every season or something would change things up.

You are Bernie Ecclestone and I claim my five pounds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

You are Bernie Ecclestone and I claim my five pounds.
I have never been a friend of any of the Mosleys.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hate to interrupt Deathbot Killfest 9000 chat, but there's something that's been bugging me for a while. Right to Buy. The tories love it and keep saying Labour will take it away, so I know it must be some kind of horribly regressive poo poo given a palatable name like how Right to Work in the States actually means 'you can be fired for no reason at any time'. But I just can't work out how. Could someone explain it to me?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Here you go!

Basically: right to buy + inflated housing market + housing benefit = rich landlord subsidy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Hate to interrupt Deathbot Killfest 9000 chat, but there's something that's been bugging me for a while. Right to Buy. The tories love it and keep saying Labour will take it away, so I know it must be some kind of horribly regressive poo poo given a palatable name like how Right to Work in the States actually means 'you can be fired for no reason at any time'. But I just can't work out how. Could someone explain it to me?
Basically it's a quick way of getting housing assets out of public hands and into the hands of private landlords. Over half of the right to buy council houses got sold off for letting. It gives the first owners a quick cash injection, but the long term results are insufficient public/association housing and a large amount of privately owned buy-to-let housing.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/12/right-to-buy-housing-scandal
e: Snap! Same link and everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stottie Kyek posted:

Maybe Channel 4 could sell them Scrapheap Challenge, which is like all the fun Top Gear vehicle building challenges without all the horrible opinions. Or the BBC could bring back Robot Wars, that show was great. You don't need Clarkson to make a fun programme about engineering and machines. Or if they wanted to keep it about cars, replace him with Steve Coogan or Rowan Atkinson - they're both funny and know a lot about cars but aren't terrible people (AFAIK, are they on the History's Greatest Monster list?).

If you're axing a show because of a problematic host, I'm not sure Robot Wars is what you should replace it with.

Scrapheap challenge though, that'd be pretty great. Actually robot wars would be too if you could also go into the past and let Craig Charles be able to host it again.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Do you people really think Craig Charles should be banned from
TV forever for taking coke? Cos then you might be in for a nasty surprise about how many other people are going too.
Or is it just cos it was crack aka poor people's coke, not the nice middle clas stuff ?

• Locked thread