Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Schlesische posted:

Does anyone have a close family member connection to corroborate this rumour?

Mateen Cleaves had a great time at the game, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

AsInHowe posted:

Mateen Cleaves had a great time at the game, you guys.

Which game, "Friend of the Family Feud?"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I will not be surprised if Datsyuk leaves this poo poo team, he's probably tired of his 12th straight year of carrying around a loving boat anchor on his line. I can't wait to see what Holland does to combat this, probably another year of Brad Richards, and maybe Hudler comes back for 4y/24m. There will be 7M+ in new cap space!!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I will not be surprised if Datsyuk leaves this poo poo team, he's probably tired of his 12th straight year of carrying around a loving boat anchor on his line. I can't wait to see what Holland does to combat this, probably another year of Brad Richards, and maybe Hudler comes back for 4y/24m. There will be 7M+ in new cap space!!

Not necessarily. The Wings are stuck with the cap hit unless they trade his rights.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

AsInHowe posted:

Not necessarily. The Wings are stuck with the cap hit unless they trade his rights.

Which is probably a given they will do.

Pavel Datsyuk... your newest Arizona Coyote!

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/mitch-albom/2016/04/10/albom-wings-datsyuk-column/82835594/ posted:

Then a strange thing happened. Datsyuk complained of continued soreness in his right ankle — the result of what he and the team thought was a puck-related injury near the end of the season. The Red Wings took quick action, and arranged for surgery in North Carolina with Dr. Robert Anderson on June 26. Datsyuk returned to America.

“It was supposed to be 45 minutes,” he said.

Instead, according to Milstein, who was present along with Wings trainer Piet Van Zant, it took more than four hours. As the time passed and the surgery continued, a worried Milstein notified Holland. Van Zant notified Mike and Marian Ilitch.

Finally, when the doctor emerged, it was learned that “both of Pavel’s tendons were completely gone, destroyed; they had to use cadaver (replacements),” Milstein said. “Dr. Anderson said he didn’t think any active athlete could go through this and recover enough to go back to playing on the ice.”

He shook his head. “But Pavel did this. If it were me, I would have retired on the spot.”

Yikes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

You're not missing anything. You've got it exactly right. First tie breaker is ROW, after that it's head to head. Rangers have the ROW and Isles can't possibly match that, so they have to get two points to pass the Rangers.

e: I feel like Florida isn't getting enough respect. They've got good goaltending, their possession game has improved since the deadline, and they're fairly healthy. I'm not sure facing them instead of the Penguins is some kind of huge break for the Isles or Rangers.

It hugely depends on who the Penguins' goaltender for the series will be. The Cats are good but with Murray the Pens are way better. If it's Zatkoff though then the Pens are pretty weak because they're not going to keep scoring 4-5 goals a game in the playoffs and lovely goaltending always sends you home early. Although as you said, the team that gets the Panthers also gets to avoid the Caps in round 2, which ain't nothing.

Which is a succinct summary of while the intradivisional-plus-wild-cards playoff system is hosed up and terrible. It's not just that the lower seed gets an easier first round matchup--the lower seed is guaranteed to avoid BOTH of the undisputed two best teams in the conference until the conference finals, and is guaranteed not to have to play both (whereas the higher seed is guaranteed that they DO have to play both in the first two rounds). By all logic the Islanders should want to lose tonight and should scratch everybody who might put them in danger of winning. In fact they should go so far as to instruct their backup goaltender to make sure they lose, i.e, let a puck or two in late in the game if they find themselves leading or tied. Or ideally he would understand that's the smart thing to do without needing to be instructed.

I'm OK with the current setup for the first round but the second round really should be reseeded. If the Islanders lose they get to avoid the Penguins in the first round, fine, but there should at least be the tradeoff that they have to play the Caps in the second round.

(edit: Actually reseeding wouldn't do that either. Even if the Cats beat the Rangers the Islanders would then get the Cats while the winner of Tampa-Detroit gets the Caps. So yeah, just burn this playoff system.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 10, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Go Dallas. Jumbo Joe is cool in my books. Ovie Crosby matchup will be cool. I guess the cats are cool, if a bit uninteresting to watch. Tampa sans stammer and hedman vs old poo poo Detroit should be an interesting matchup (like Vancouver Calgary last year: entirely moot as the Victor will surely get steam rolled in the following round). Uh, gently caress the Kings and and Minnesota and whatever garbage the Pacific is sending to the playoffs this year.

Caps Stars final w 9 goals per game (maybe pens if they get a goalie from somewhere or if caps choke against rangers)

Oh, and the top five teams on the year come from two divisions. The ocean divisions are very bad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mik posted:

Yikes.

That article is a pro read.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zero One posted:

That article is a pro read.

I'd be okay with the "Datsyuk gets a departure victory" narrative, but this year is all about American hero Philip Kessel.
His name is going on that cup!

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Per the Freep article, Datsyuk's agent was told the Wings are planning on eating the cap hit. That stings in an off season where a 26 year old 50 goal scoring C is available.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Murray stepping down as Sens gm? Congrats sens fans?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I admit to feeling conflicted emotions at realizing this is the Last Ride of the Red Wings.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ken holland is a loving mongoloid

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Veskit posted:

So do we want the Kings out the ducks to start I'm torn

Either will be hard to beat

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Glambags posted:

Yessssssssssssssss

loving finally.

e: that said they really needed to go outside the org to find a new GM, so I'm not thrilled with just promoting Dorion. Still, something is better than nothing.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 10, 2016

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Glambags posted:

the sens' problem lies more with Melnyk, imo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go Hawks, Sharks, Caps, and Cats

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Glambags posted:

Exchanging Murray for Dorion seems like a step down, not that any of this matters with Melnyk insisting on keeping the team.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SchrodingersCat posted:

Per the Freep article, Datsyuk's agent was told the Wings are planning on eating the cap hit. That stings in an off season where a 26 year old 50 goal scoring C is available.

It seems fairly obvious that they'll still dump a ton of money on Stamkos. Datsyuk's $7.5m hit will hurt but it's only for this upcoming year. It's poo poo like giving $4m contracts to Abdelkader, Ericsson, and Quincey -- along with the $5m they're spending on Franzen (RIP) and Weiss (RIP) -- that cripples the team. At least cap magic allows them to keep Franzen off the books.

They can (and should) free $12m by not re-signing Richards, Helm, Miller, and Quincey, all of whom are easily replaced internally. DeKeyser, Mrazek, Marchenko, Sheahan, and Pulkkinen are RFAs but only the former two will get any kind of significant raise.

So, they could fit Stamkos if he's cool with joining a half-assed rebuild icing an AHL defense.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

can't wait to watch datsyuk's career end with an unceremoniously abrupt and embarrassing first round exit just like yzerman and lidstrom. he'll probably get hurt during his last series like yzerman did, too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

can't wait to watch datsyuk's career end with an unceremoniously abrupt and embarrassing first round exit just like yzerman and lidstrom. he'll probably get hurt during his last series like yzerman did, too.

Yzerman lost an eye, Lidstrom basically lost a testicle. Datsyuk tried to beat them by destroying both tendons but he's got more to do. Maybe a head shot will deflate part of his alien skull. :smith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i hope the wings get swept so at least he can skate his last shift on home ice in front of a half filled lower bowl

i am the bird posted:

not re-signing Richards, Helm, Miller, and Quincey

lol wut

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patel Datsyuk is legally a Frankenstein.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

i hope the wings get swept so at least he can skate his last shift on home ice in front of a half filled lower bowl

lol wut

I'm goofin'. Of course we'll sign them and Hudler will replace Datsyuk.

Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader
Tatar-Richards-Nyquist
Helm-Sheahan-Hudler
AA-Glendening-Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Green
Quincey-Marchenko

26 years and counting, boys!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Quincey
Smith-Green

you forgot to banish marchenko to the press box and continue to stuff ouellet and sproul in GR, don't worry, i fixed it for you

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Maybe something more traumatic can happen to Datsyuk, like finding out someone he is friends with is gay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was a gay cadaver.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

brb starting a vaguely-racist Pavel Datsyuk's Gay Ankles parody Twitter account

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey Flyers, it would be awfully nice of you if you could lose to the islanders for us today.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You'd rather play the Penguins than the Cats?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Eric the Mauve posted:

You'd rather play the Penguins than the Cats?

I hosed that up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I admit to feeling conflicted emotions at realizing this is the Last Ride of the Red Wings.

It is, because the Pittsburgh Penguins will win the Cup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

I hosed that up.

Yeah. Repeating myself from the last page but the Islanders have every incentive in the world to lose today and it'll be kinda lol if they gently caress it up and win.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
That was a good weekend to be away from the forums.

I see that someone has made an explicitly eliminated teams thread, so I guess I'll close this one tomorrow morning and someone can start a Round 1 N/V thread.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey Flyers, it would be awfully nice of you if you could lose to the islanders for us today.

Hopefully Hak is resting some starters today, so who knows!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gio posted:

I dunno but it happened fast. His last full season was an ok one, certainly good enough to stick around in a league that employs Jonathan Ericsson, but did poo poo-all the next season from what I remember. He was a free agent after that and I guess no one thought he was worth whatever price tag he wanted??? That's my guess why he hosed off to Russia. That's why a lot of players do.

e: doubt his size helped matters either.

He said some unkind things about Bettman during the lockout. Doubt that helped.

mik posted:

Yikes.

Hm.

This is okay.

Everything's okay.

Hockey is a cool sport. I like hockey. I don't think it irreparably destroys anybody's comfort of life. I'm gonna go vomit and cry for some other reason.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Honestly I'm glad that Datsyuk is leaving because the way he hobbled around in my store leads me to believe that movement is misery for him

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Red Wings send down Mantha to Grand Rapids

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so I'm not sure how I missed it, but Ryan Callahan managed to put up 28 pts in 73 games this year.

did I mention how happy I am that the Rangers didn't budge on him??

• Locked thread