Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I saw this on a news headline yesterday (you posted the original "we're doing this" statement a few weeks ago though right?) and the BONG trailer was pretty much just Jeremy Hunt's statement saying this is bad and wrong and they're hurting the NHS. Then for the actual story they repeated it again

Obviously it's Jeremy Corbyn's fault that the news is confident enough to present the story from Jeremy Hunt's point of view. If Labour were a more effective opposition this wouldn't be happening

My housemate was listening to LBC earlier and they had Jeremy Hunt on followed by a doctor. The doctor's opening statement was basically "I don't know why you give this man the time of day, he's been shown to have lied over and over again" and the host then refused to then talk about anything other than demanding that the doctor prove that the BMA had had no contact with the DoH which confused the doctor no end

I'm increasingly of the opinion that "being good with the press" is mostly about being able to shut down stupid questions asked by idiots. This thread is good practice for anyone who wants to go into politics

Jose posted:

if you're not in shorts and t shirt at 12c you're doing it wrong

Not everyone is from the north east Jose

[edit]

8°: an acceptable temperature to go out in shorts and a tshirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm still wearing sweaters at 20c gently caress that noise.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

StoneOfShame posted:

Zidane has smoke all his life and is probably fitter than any of us, I wish I had his genes and desire to exercise as I fit your description.

Footballers aren't actually that fit in the grand scheme of things at the peak of their careers, a retired footballer who smokes and was never regarded as being particularly athletic? Yeah not so much

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah but people dont get Harry Potter they think Snape was a hero even though until the girl he creeped on was getting killed he was fully in with Voldemort and probably supported the killing of muggle borns.

People think Harry Potter was the hero (someone who gets lots of wealth and power simply because of who his parents were, and has authority turn a blind eye when they break the rules?)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

Give up on tobacco and smoke weed instead. It's much better when you're stresss. Hipe this helps.

i've found it extrmeely bad at causing anxiety

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's like a they're under a curse. Everyone that dislikes Corbyn is unable to articulate why they don't like him and why he is not fit for the job. So instead they just say "he bad". Some of them can manage an illogical sentence about how "that's all very good but it's not going to help them WIN".

Blame the CIA, Fukuyama and Blair. Post-ideologism Third Wayist nonsense means that they don't actually have the capability

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

i've found it extrmeely bad at causing anxiety
I just smoke moderate amounts, ride out the 10 minutes of anxiety and then enjoy the mellow high. Imo it's like getting trashed on drink but in reverse, so the hangover comes in the first 10 minutes and its smooth sailing from there

Also i only get that period of anxiety when i smoke alone. Smoke with friends and it's not even an issue (for me at least)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

I just smoke moderate amounts, ride out the 10 minutes of anxiety and then enjoy the mellow high. Imo it's like getting trashed on drink but in reverse, so the hangover comes in the first 10 minutes and its smooth sailing from there

i just get the anxiety and nothing else and don't enjoy myself and its a bit poo poo because everyone else seems to enjoy it. i've a few friends who've been heavy smokers who have been sectioned since so i think i made the right decision

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Footballers aren't actually that fit in the grand scheme of things at the peak of their careers, a retired footballer who smokes and was never regarded as being particularly athletic? Yeah not so much

People think Harry Potter was the hero (someone who gets lots of wealth and power simply because of who his parents were, and has authority turn a blind eye when they break the rules?)

To be fair he had the bullying that most Etonians deserve, crammed into the first ten years of his life, from the people who for all intents and purposes were his parents.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I wouldn't call myself a heavy smoker. An eighth will last me a while, so it's dirt loving cheap too.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Mate i send a guy a text and 30 minutes later theres a hippy looking guy parked out front with 1/8 of weed, £20 and it lasts me a couple weeks. poo poo is frugal af

Round about when I turned 40, weed started to have a "might as well be a sleeping tablet" effect on me, alas. Not that I was ever a heavy smoker, but I kinda miss being slightly stoned and listening to tunes for hours as a relaxation method. drat these aging bones to hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's odd because "spend 12 hours doing absolutely nothing while the time drifts past" is exactly my idea of normal relaxation.

Presumably if I smoked weed I would not have any mental state to progress into, other than possibly comatose.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a shame benzo's are so insanely addictive and bad if you start to withdraw because they're real nice imo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oh i can definitely just pass out on weed. I have real problems sleeping, and weed is pretty much the next best thing to zopiclone (which i can hardly ever get from the dr) for helping me sleep well.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im going to amsterdam for a week on saturday :420:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Oh i can definitely just pass out on weed. I have real problems sleeping, and weed is pretty much the next best thing to zopiclone (which i can hardly ever get from the dr) for helping me sleep well.

sent a pm since this isn' really uk manga thread topic

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A piece of advice that seems to come up every other month:

NEVER EVER EVER WITHHOLD RENT, you will get hosed five ways from Sunday

yeah, I know that I'm just trying to figure out ways to actually get them to actually do the poo poo that's required in a timely fashion. Some screening of the dribbling idiots they let stay here would be nice too, but I think they're solitary concern is "can they pay rent", rather than "are the actually functionally able to live with other people"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

i just get the anxiety and nothing else and don't enjoy myself and its a bit poo poo because everyone else seems to enjoy it. i've a few friends who've been heavy smokers who have been sectioned since so i think i made the right decision

weed doesn't make you crazy. Crazy people just take a shitload more drugs than those who aren't ever going to end up in hospital. The pattern is true for tobacco as well, and even some weird little details like a statistically significant difference in whether or not you recycle fagends.

Weed is great and my GP tells me to smoke lots to keep the horrific bowel death at bay. It's the best drug.

Oberleutnant posted:

my gps also tell me that there are significant efforts to totally phase out Z drugs because they're either indicating or being observed to have worse side effects than valium. Also, they're insanely addictive if you're wired to get enjoyment from them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

To be fair he had the bullying that most Etonians deserve, crammed into the first ten years of his life, from the people who for all intents and purposes were his parents.

That's a fairly common "Those peasants can't see the greatness that walks among them" kind of deal. The wizarding world can be read very easily as a metaphor for the upper classes, with the mudblood stuff less racism and more Old vs New money.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Chances are you won't find anything useful in the contract; try looking at the actual law regarding landlord responsibility and what does and doesn't constitute inhabitable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

yeah, I know that I'm just trying to figure out ways to actually get them to actually do the poo poo that's required in a timely fashion. Some screening of the dribbling idiots they let stay here would be nice too, but I think they're solitary concern is "can they pay rent", rather than "are the actually functionally able to live with other people"

As with all housing questions ever, talk to Shelter. Be prepared for disappointment, mind - we're currently on a "landlords get to be real fuckers" upswing.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My housemate was listening to LBC earlier and they had Jeremy Hunt on followed by a doctor. The doctor's opening statement was basically "I don't know why you give this man the time of day, he's been shown to have lied over and over again" and the host then refused to then talk about anything other than demanding that the doctor prove that the BMA had had no contact with the DoH which confused the doctor no end

I'm increasingly of the opinion that "being good with the press" is mostly about being able to shut down stupid questions asked by idiots. This thread is good practice for anyone who wants to go into politics

I think every LBC clip I've ever listened to has just been the most extreme people they can find set against each other, then James O'Brien gets to monologue for a while and be the enlightened voice of reason, despite never having his position challenged by anybody sane.

And "good with the press" is just having opinions that don't attract hit pieces in the Sun and the Mail.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

sent a pm since this isn' really uk manga thread topic

Wicked, cheers. I'll definitely give that a try.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As with all housing questions ever, talk to Shelter. Be prepared for disappointment, mind - we're currently on a "landlords get to be real fuckers" upswing.

I withheld my rent from my landlord and spent maybe a tenth of it paying pikeys to intimidate him

it worked well and I got all my money back, perhaps you should be the violence inherent in the system

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Wicked, cheers. I'll definitely give that a try.

i meant costco don't sell it in the UK but i assumed you'd realised that

you'll still get weird dreams but not quite as weird as taking melatonin

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MrL_JaKiri posted:

this is the thing: the landlord and his wife are actually lovely people. We point things out that we'd like doing - I think very early on I said that the foxes were attacking the rubbish people left outside my window (I live on the ground floor, and there's a tiny sort of paved bit where the bin bags live until bin day), and the next day we had actual plastic bins for people to put their rubbish in and the fox problem went away. Now we've been told *explicitly* by the lettings agency that any problems/issues have to go through them, and we even had letters telling us in no uncertain terms to never ever contact our landlord. So we tell them, and about three months later they get fixed, but they don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge that we've said something needs doing. Even an email to say "yeah, that's a problem, we'll see what we can do" would be nice

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

forkboy84 posted:

I'll just stick to alcohol thanks. If I can't just pop into the local corner shop for my drugs then it's too much effort.

You are vastly underestimating the efficacy of the UK drug market. It may be garbage but by gently caress they'll get it to you, often alongside a pizza you didn't order.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sometimes if you've made friends with a couple of delivery drivers you can get it alongside a pizza you did order.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

this is the thing: the landlord and his wife are actually lovely people. We point things out that we'd like doing - I think very early on I said that the foxes were attacking the rubbish people left outside my window (I live on the ground floor, and there's a tiny sort of paved bit where the bin bags live until bin day), and the next day we had actual plastic bins for people to put their rubbish in and the fox problem went away. Now we've been told *explicitly* by the lettings agency that any problems/issues have to go through them, and we even had letters telling us in no uncertain terms to never ever contact our landlord. So we tell them, and about three months later they get fixed, but they don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge that we've said something needs doing. Even an email to say "yeah, that's a problem, we'll see what we can do" would be nice

Yeah the letting agency aren't going to like it when you tell their client what a poo poo job they're doing. I would tell the agency once, if it doesn't get acknowledged or fixed then tell the landlord directly. Ultimately it's the landlord who is legally responsible, so it seems perfectly reasonable to inform them directly of problems if the agency isn't responding.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Is there anywhere good where you can get all tha funny shite about the tory-lites in labour imploding and gnashing their teeth?

Thinking poo poo like JK Rowlings tweets and the like

tia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/commentisfree :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The internet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

And both of them, and you, are just as qualified as jabby to tell who should have an opinion and who shouldn't.

She's more than welcome to her opinion, she just goes about it in a particularly obnoxious way. She's a wealthy individual who uses her money to try and push her own political views, shouts loudly on Twitter about how CORBYN BAD then expects people to make reasoned arguments in return to her meaningless outbursts.

If she wrote well-written articles explaining why Smith was better than Corbyn I would be nicer to her, but she doesn't do that. She pays for adverts and she complains on Twitter, and it's reported as news.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
She's right though: Corbyn is bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Rowling angrily insisting Corbyn is not a Wizard is the best part of this whole thing.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Wait, wait, wait...Pissflaps doesnt like Corbyn? Well this changes everything!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Can you say why or will your phylactery shatter?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Since your post is highlighted as the op, I read it before I read the post you were responding to and was like, "no thank you. "

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can you say why or will your phylactery shatter?

He'll never explain why. Corbyn is bad because he's unelectable, because he is bad, because he is unelectable, etc. Engaging leads to an ouroboros of bad posts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Marenghi posted:

He'll never explain why. Corbyn is bad because he's unelectable, because he is bad, because he is unelectable, etc. Engaging leads to an ouroboros of bad posts.

The problem I see here is that people are trying so hard to debate someone who doesn't have principles or viewpoints or anything to say really. Why debate a broken record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Surprised you're not defending Rowling to the death based on her consistent dislike of the SNP and her use of Twitter and her fans to campaign against them.

This may come as a surprise to you, but it is possible for somebody to be wrong about one thing and right about another.

• Locked thread