Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Clouseau posted:

Pinside is trash and full of trash people.

This is also the third Star Wars pin based on the original trilogy. I wish they got to do more interesting hand drawn art like with Ghostbusters, but I guess if I want that I can just play the DE version.

I wonder if Stern Pinball Arcade gets this if it means SPA will also get the DE and Sega tables.

If they ever released Game of Thrones, I'd never get my roommate off his PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
gently caress me, did I just walk into another hobby that will be hostile towards me because I have breasts?

E: *skims Pinside forums for GoT mod info* Geezus, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVBIr7zyuQ

"My favorite part of the video was the blonde taking off her jacket and adjusting her top."
"It was just a tad hard to look at the gameplay footage with the blonde in the video. I am pretty sure I am the only one that had a problem with this though."
"Ha I'm Taking notes on Fattrains Skills with the Ladies! Look at how smooth he is! Go Train!"
"I spent more time watching watching Fattrain put the moves on "the lady in red" than I did watching GOT! Go Train!!"

I gave up after the first page. At least the people I've met locally have been cool so far, but this doesn't really make me want to go to pinball events or talk to dealers.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 2, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

canyoneer posted:

I had that moment.
Then I noticed the legs and got weirded out.
Then I noticed that it's a wife swap situation and got even more weirded out. :barf:

:stonklol:

brb, need to drink that image out of my mind.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Awesome! posted:

at least dino looks suitably uncomfortable from the situation

So do the children watching from the background.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Discendo Vox posted:

My understanding is that the horrible misogyny is 99% the fairly wealthy basement creepazoids on forums who only play machines in their mancaves, and that the level of misogyny in public, organized pinball is actually a bit below the usual background noise level of sexism due to careful policing by cool people organizers.

Pleasant news, then! So far, everyone I've met while playing has been cool, but I live in a hipster city with multiple "barcades," so that's not useful to calibrate against. The retro gaming expos here have been chill so far. Will see if the overall hostility of Portland starts poisoning that, but in the meantime, gently caress the haters, I'll be at the bar working on my high scores.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

the escape goat posted:

http://www.bellespinballpdx.com/

the portland pin community is chill as heck, dunno if you've checked out C-Bar or Scoreboard yet but they're excellent. bars with plenty of tables, but not specifically an arcade.
Ground Kontrol's going to have their old space's remodel finished soon and they're going to have a lot of selection with both sides open.

The selection at Ground Kontrol is great these days. My roommate just found out Jersey Jack pins exist, and it's like watching a 6 year old discover video games for the first time. (We are not purists.) Mostly, we've been trying to track down a good GoT table, since the neighborhood bar has a GoT Pro that's taking up a lot of our free time. Vancouver has some decent pins to play on, too.

Plus, out of nowhere, we were playing at a bar in Beaverton, and ran into a guy who knew my roommate through a shared music scene going back over a decade. Small freaking world. Everyone I've met so far has been cool, which is why I kinda went WTF earlier.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh Portland? You'll be fine then so long as you're white.

Accurate.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Looks like the Belles and Chimes in Portland are inactive, but I'd feel weird playing without my guy friends anyway.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Discendo Vox posted:

Just create a botnet of rules, continuously randomize-

cripes, with persistence, this could actually be really good for a new form of tournament play.

Rogue Pinball.

:getin:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Robot Danger posted:

All I had to do was shoot the center ramp to get Hand of the King for the first time. Instead I misplayed a trap and drained my last ball, and now I haven't come remotely close to getting it again. Just when I think I'm finally starting to turn a corner and get better I'll go on a terrible run that lasts weeks.

Pinball is a total bastard.

Just before I read this, my boyfriend came in and shouted, "Get ready, baby! We're getting Hand of the King tonight or we're gonna die trying!" Synchronicity, y'all.

I've been in a pinball wasteland for a week and am way out of practice. Guess I'm gonna die tonight.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Niwrad posted:

You guys are making me want to play GoT.

Has anyone played the Premium/LE version? I played it once but don't remember much at the time. Wondering how it differs from the pro.

The upper playfield is actually decent, IMO, but it plays slower than Pro. I prefer Pro, but I like both quite a lot.

Tyrell is my usual go-to for bigger scores, and I've gotten pretty good at stacking Tyrell and Lannister with Blackwater. Will definitely give the Martell strategy a go tonight, tho, and see what happens.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Batman Forever was dead when I got to the arcade tonight, but at least I did something to cheer myself up.

Nice!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Playfield magnets, how do they work?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Collateral Damage posted:

Pabst Can Crusher

Which is a reskinned Whoa Nellie, so it's a terrible license AND a terrible table.

It's not bad if you're looking for a cheap game to play while the rest of the tables in the arcade are jammed up. But my first play on it was at a Project Pabst festival, so I'm probably not biased enough against the license.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
And it would be a re-skin of a Twilight table, but with worse graphics, and the rules are even more broken.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Rollersnake posted:

Lars von Trier's Anything

Plus the table would only be available in Denmark, because it can't be shipped anywhere else.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I submitted a pin at a reservation resort to PinballMap.com once, and that makes me an authority on whether Native Americans are okay with being stereotyped!

:sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TheMcD posted:

Holy poo poo, I am riding such a pinball high right now, I don't think I've ever been higher.

You know what's great? Making a hard wizard mode for the first time. But making it for the second time is even sweeter, since it shows you that wasn't just a one shot fluke. Well, today, I made Iron Throne on Game of Thrones for the second time. Not only that, but I made it to the victory lap part of the mode by collecting all the castles. Dropped a sweet 6.3 billion on that game, with about 3.2 billion alone coming from Iron Throne.

After clenching my way through a situation where I had to beat three rounds of Targaryen and light and clear Baratheon on a single ball (once again, the upper playfield saved my rear end in Targaryen 3), I was so in the zone with Iron Throne I just killed that mode.

Alas, I still didn't beat Bowen's score from his tutorial.

Well done! GP2 Boyfriend and I are to the point where we can consistently clear 1-2 houses, but we're still not that great yet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I played Monopoly out at the Chinook Roadhouse this weekend. (Great pinball spot, btw, if you happen to be on the Washington coast. The bartender told me she got annoyed at having broken machines, so she brought in a maintenance expert to teach her how to keep them up. Great collection in great shape, and almost everything is $2/5 balls.)

Can't say I'm a fan of it. The center front ramp is way too close to the flippers for my taste, and it didn't feel like it flowed well. Still, would not turn it down if all I had to do was drive up and collect it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Aw, I love Monopoly. I know it's Whirlwind's janky cousin but the music is great and the overall use of the layout is really fun. I've played a couple really nice ones and when someone's poured their heart into it it really glows.

Will keep an open mind, then! Maybe I'm being hard on it because I played a batch of extremely hot Strike Extreme games right before.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

:golfclap:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Got a 342,780 on Dialed In and made 2nd on the daily high scores. The grand master score is over 4 million, but I'm still feeling pretty good about myself.

I'm a rather mediocre pinball player overall, but I'm sucking less every time I get out and play :shepspends:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Woah, worth it!

Seconded!

GP2 Boyfriend thinks it's too sparse on the mid playfield, but I rather like the flow.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Lone Goat posted:

Place where I play league in Toronto just got a Dialed In

:woop: :woop: :woop:

How are you liking it? I think it's fun, but my BF can't get over the whole cell phone theme long enough to have fun.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Collateral Damage posted:

I've never really liked the pro/premium thing.

In theory it's a sound idea - Design the game within a given set of cost parameters for the operator market, then add some extra toys and goodies that appeal to the less cost-sensitive home market. In practice it feels like they design the Premium version first, then pass it off to the bean counters who strip it down to make it fit the budget.

Every Stern Pro game feels like you're just playing a preview of the real thing.

I'm not a huge Stern connoisseur yet, but I'd say GoT Pro is actually more fun than the Premium layout. The top field, while it's cool, and I like the animated dragon and all, doesn't add much to the gameplay. Plus it takes out the standard skillshot, and covers large parts of the play area awkwardly.

My holy grail would be the Premium lighting on a Pro layout...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Boyfriend and I haven't been playing much lately, between illnesses and work obligations. We finally tracked down a GoT machine (I think the one we used to play at the pub downtown migrated to a roadhouse up north)...which was great until the elevator stopped popping right, and things really went awry when the divertor snapped clean off and landed in one of the drains on the upper playfield, where it started collecting balls.

So much for that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Awesome! posted:

does the game actually play decently on a phone/pad? i cant imagine shaking to nudge

as to seasons, 2 will have the most tables in it next to 1 with some of them being very good. then i would probably say 4 and then 5

Usually you swipe to nudge, so it's directional. It's not nearly as accurate to play on a touch screen, in my experience, but you can set up where on the screen the control "zones" are.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

She Bangs the Drums posted:

The convergence of pinball and craft beer makes me think of greying haired middle aged men with mustaches.

#Portland

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

bewbies posted:

also love star wars

why do people hate star wars?

I enjoy it, but GP2BF thinks it's too sparse and too unforgiving. He's a big fan of tables like GoT and Arabian Nights where there's a lot going on in the mid-field.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They're going to Eugene and Portland, ME twice, but nothing in Portland proper?

KevinSorboDisappointed.gif

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Squashy Nipples posted:

I haven't been to a pinball room/barcade in a few years, but last weekend I saw one of GOT tables in a rest stop. Didn't have time to play, but it looked pretty cool... what's the thread opinion on it?

I'm fond of it, but it was also the best table close to my previous apartment, so I spent a lot of time on it. It's got a good balance of challenge to reward, but also keep in mind that I'm scrub level at best. I did get a top house score (Tyrell, I think) once on a table on the coast, but I think they reset the scores nightly...

I prefer the pro edition. The upper play field on LE is cool and all, but it blocks visibility on the left orbital and it dumbs down the skillshot and makes humping the pop bumpers harder. The light show on LE is spectacular, tho. I'd love to put a pro table with the LE lighting in my living room some day.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

prefect posted:

I saw that it was in TPA, so I gave it a shot. It's just not good. The sound effects are terrible. :(

The one thing I liked was the scoring. It's not a multiples-of-ten thing where the final zero never changes. So there's that.

There used to be a Pabst reskin of that next to the GoT table at one of the barcades in town. I would occasionally toss a quarter in it for something cheap to do while waiting for my next turn at GoT, and I have to say it's not compelling at all.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

tonedef131 posted:

I was down there Saturday while the Belles and Chimes monthly was going on. The atmosphere is just completely different. They are far less physical with the machines and generally stand around cheering each other on. They frequently bring food to share and friends who are new to Pinball and just want to hang out. When a ball drains, even when it mean elimination, they turn around and smile.

A lot of these women play in my league and I can tell you they have just as much ability as the men. The culture of competitive pinball is dominated by men because of the intensity they bring to it. Rage tilting and a string of profanity as you walk away from the machine is just not a thing I’ve seen even the best female players do. I can only imagine how repulsive this behavior is from the outside and I don’t blame them for wanting a tournament series they can separate from that.

I’m pretty sure having fun is a lost objective of competitive pinball for a lot of men. I’m as guilty as the next guy. The power went out Saturday while I had Number of the Beast qualified and was over half a billion points on Maiden. It took me like and hour and a couple beers to calm down.

Aw man, I hope I'm not too violent for Belles and Chimes :ohdear: I'm an inveterate table-smacker and I curse a blue streak every time I side drain...or otherwise lose a ball.

I'm gonna need people to play with once the ex goes to Germany, so an all women's league sounds like a great idea.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Pinball is an inherently political game and if you can't recognize that then you're part of the problem.

In more serious news, I've been enjoying Junkyard. It's a great fit for Zen because even the base game feels very videogamey. This one took me by surprise because I had never seen this table in the wild before.

Come to Portland. There's at least one Junkyard table per suburb.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Actually I am visiting Portland next month. What are the best pinball places?

Quarterworld and Ground Kontrol, for sure. My Father's Place also has good selection, but it's more of a bar than a barcade. I hear C-Bar is nice, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. http://cbarportland.com/

There's also a new Pinball Museum in Beaverton, but I think they're in limited hours until next year.
http://nextlevelpinballmuseum.com/

Besides that, get the Pinball Maps app on your phone and load the Portland region. If you're looking for a particular machine, it'll give you directions and most of the time someone knowledgeable has been there and described how well the table plays.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Niwrad posted:

I always thought "gambling" was just an excuse to get rid of them because the real reason they were being used was to launder tons of money for the mob.

Not even necessarily to launder money, but because a bunch of mostly hollow boxes give you plausible deniability if you're shipping, say, a ton of drugs and want them covered up in the transport truck.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Deviant posted:

Oh, no, I meant I play abba on the bar jukebox because it's way louder than the iron maiden machine.

You are a person after my own heart.

Try Ace of Base sometime. "Beautiful Life" in particular is good at getting under the skin of people who are super angry, because it's so relentlessly positive.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love a revision of the Whoa Nellie art that just makes it entirely, obsessively about different varieties of melon.

That would be the spergiest thing ever :spergin:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

cosmicjim posted:

We want Hard Body.

I'm trying really hard to come up with a Hands on a Hard Body joke, but it's not working. :sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
How hard would it be to isolate the monitor and sensitive bits from vibration? Soft mounts and shock absorbers and all that. Obviously increases cost and complexity, tho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Inferior Third Season posted:

The pack with Medieval Madness.

This.