Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm fairly certain that if I was the cameraman I would've poo poo myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

"Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win"

Holy gently caress that's an actual quote.

Arrath fucked around with this message at Sep 15, 2011 around 08:02

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

I did a GIS for a pic of the Apache peeking over some tree cover but didn't hit it. I know I've seen that pic someplace and it's very cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

A coworker years ago fought in the resistance in some eastern euro country told me he disabled a tank by pouring paint over the engine compartment. Prepop the lid, walk up to tank, pour in and run like gently caress and a few minutes later very bad things happen to the engine.
Caveat being this was in a town and the Russians were being very careless with combined infantry and tanks.

And if the paint didn't work I'd imagine he could saunter out and crush the tank with his massive brass balls.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoever linked it before, thanks for posting it again. This site is great, if just for http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/. Nothing like seeing what various weapons would do to my hometown!

The (designed) Tsar Bomba is...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, I'm terrible at this. Sailed a few missiles past some SU-somethings and got blown out of the sky. After nearly cratering in front of the runway in the landing tutorial mission.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Sounds like "hypoxia-like" symptoms to me. I'd go see the flight doc.

He gave me a 500mg ibuprofen. I don't think it'll help my flying skills

I did score two kills, though! A friendly F-22 that was annoying the poo poo out of me when it cycled up to emcon 3 and painted me with its radar every 15 seconds, and a 767 that was just minding its own business.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flikken posted:

he does know that Stanags are capable of being fed with stripper clips right? RIGHT?

He wants the UPPER to be able to accept stripper clips, which is apparently somehow faster than swapping a mag, I guess?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

And Mikado was just . No real other way to put it.

It just sounds so much like a mission you'd play in Call of Duty. A daring deep strike against an enemy airfield with no hope of survival! PS hope a Hind doesn't show up to ruin your day.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Memento posted:

Wait, didn't you already have no hope of survival before the Hind showed up?

Well, yes. But now you get a sweet chase scene as the survivors steal some cargo trucks and

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Since we're on vision chat: Paul Newman was a tail gunner on TBF Avengers during WW2. He wanted to be a pilot but was disqualified due to color-blindness.

I recently finished reading "Skunk Works," by Ben Rich, first a worker and later the director of Lockheed's Skunk Works. He started there in the 50s, worked on the U-2, the SR-71, the D-21 drone that just got a writeup in the AI aviation thread, and the F-117. The book was a pretty fascinating insider account, particularly when he got to talking about the process of building the SR-71 and all the technical stuff they had to figure out on the fly because no one had ever built something out of titanium on that large a scale. At the end he talked about how the aviation industry has changed since he started, and identified some trends in aviation that he wasn't too fond of, most of which have proven to be solid predictions in the twenty-odd years since the book was published. I'd say it's definitely worth a read.
http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-P...rds=skunk+works

And the kindle edition is half off right now. Just bought it, thanks. Sounds like it'll be a really interesting read.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of my grandfathers found on arriving at boot camp in Texas that something about the heat and humidity caused a preexisting head injury to give him debilitating migraines. They were so bad that the Army ended up using him in a research project for experimental brain surgery. Luckily enough he was one of the control subjects, while most of the guys who they dug into died or were never quite right again. They medically discharged him at the end of the trial at some base in Texas and told him to find his own way back to the PNW.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd find it really hard to resist the urge to build a mockup missile for my SSM carrier if I had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the issue is that most people who could do an effortpost on the subject would end up skirting the line between "things anyone can figure out based on antenna theory" and "things you can only learn in a SCIF." I've been trying to find a good open source history of EW and electronic surveillance efforts, but I'd guess most of it is still classified.

Yeah I'd love to read about EW beyond "That B-52 that accidentally turned on its EW suite over the States and pissed a lot of people off" but it seems like something that would be really tricky to talk about.

I dunno, maybe someone could post about Wild Weasel pilots and their massive balls or something?