Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm fairly certain that if I was the cameraman I would've poo poo myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

"Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win"

Holy gently caress that's an actual quote.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 15, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

I did a GIS for a pic of the Apache peeking over some tree cover but didn't hit it. I know I've seen that pic someplace and it's very cool.

:v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

A coworker years ago fought in the resistance in some eastern euro country told me he disabled a tank by pouring paint over the engine compartment. Prepop the lid, walk up to tank, pour in and run like gently caress and a few minutes later very bad things happen to the engine.
Caveat being this was in a town and the Russians were being very careless with combined infantry and tanks.

:stare: And if the paint didn't work I'd imagine he could saunter out and crush the tank with his massive brass balls.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoever linked it before, thanks for posting it again. This site is great, if just for http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/. Nothing like seeing what various weapons would do to my hometown!

The (designed) Tsar Bomba is... :stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, I'm terrible at this. Sailed a few missiles past some SU-somethings and got blown out of the sky. After nearly cratering in front of the runway in the landing tutorial mission.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Sounds like "hypoxia-like" symptoms to me. I'd go see the flight doc.

He gave me a 500mg ibuprofen. I don't think it'll help my flying skills :(

I did score two kills, though! A friendly F-22 that was annoying the poo poo out of me when it cycled up to emcon 3 and painted me with its radar every 15 seconds, and a 767 that was just minding its own business.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flikken posted:

he does know that Stanags are capable of being fed with stripper clips right? RIGHT? :psyduck:

He wants the UPPER to be able to accept stripper clips, which is apparently somehow faster than swapping a mag, I guess?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

And Mikado was just :psyboom:. No real other way to put it.

It just sounds so much like a mission you'd play in Call of Duty. A daring deep strike against an enemy airfield with no hope of survival! PS hope a Hind doesn't show up to ruin your day.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Memento posted:

Wait, didn't you already have no hope of survival before the Hind showed up?

Well, yes. But now you get a sweet chase scene as the survivors steal some cargo trucks and :torgue:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Since we're on vision chat: Paul Newman was a tail gunner on TBF Avengers during WW2. He wanted to be a pilot but was disqualified due to color-blindness.

I recently finished reading "Skunk Works," by Ben Rich, first a worker and later the director of Lockheed's Skunk Works. He started there in the 50s, worked on the U-2, the SR-71, the D-21 drone that just got a writeup in the AI aviation thread, and the F-117. The book was a pretty fascinating insider account, particularly when he got to talking about the process of building the SR-71 and all the technical stuff they had to figure out on the fly because no one had ever built something out of titanium on that large a scale. At the end he talked about how the aviation industry has changed since he started, and identified some trends in aviation that he wasn't too fond of, most of which have proven to be solid predictions in the twenty-odd years since the book was published. I'd say it's definitely worth a read.
http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389580250&sr=8-1&keywords=skunk+works

And the kindle edition is half off right now. Just bought it, thanks. Sounds like it'll be a really interesting read.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of my grandfathers found on arriving at boot camp in Texas that something about the heat and humidity caused a preexisting head injury to give him debilitating migraines. They were so bad that the Army ended up using him in a research project for experimental brain surgery. Luckily enough he was one of the control subjects, while most of the guys who they dug into died or were never quite right again. They medically discharged him at the end of the trial at some base in Texas and told him to find his own way back to the PNW.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd find it really hard to resist the urge to build a mockup missile for my SSM carrier if I had one.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the issue is that most people who could do an effortpost on the subject would end up skirting the line between "things anyone can figure out based on antenna theory" and "things you can only learn in a SCIF." I've been trying to find a good open source history of EW and electronic surveillance efforts, but I'd guess most of it is still classified.

Yeah I'd love to read about EW beyond "That B-52 that accidentally turned on its EW suite over the States and pissed a lot of people off" but it seems like something that would be really tricky to talk about.

I dunno, maybe someone could post about Wild Weasel pilots and their massive balls or something?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Pardon my ignorance, RHA?

Rolled homogeneous armour, ie big ole plates of metal.

e:welp.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The hell is that under the .50? A rack of mini missles?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Outside Dawg posted:

We had the same predicament with the LVTP-7, speaking as a driver in regards to armor, our solution was to pile sandbags on the floor and use our flak vests for seat cushions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh please let this lead to some video of gun runs on ISIS T-55s :flashfap:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phanatic posted:

The new -47s are brand-new construction. The frames are milled from solid billets of aluminum. It's way more than just new engines.

I'm sure you mean the individual frame members start as big old billets but I'm going to imagine that each Chinook starts as a semi-trailer sized block of aluminum that gets tossed into one honkin huge CNC machine. :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Battleship 2: Now with authentic P-51s flying in formation over the Mississippi, also crewed by the hardest dudes we could find in the nursing home.

Fuckit, I'd get plastered and watch it. the first one was hilarious even if it didn't try to be. Battleship drifting

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 24, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Blistex posted:

It just costs too much to change all the letterheads and signs back.

Actually I was in Moscow last year and this really seems to be the case, but for buildings. Stars and hammers and sickles fuckin everywhere, mostly on building facades or iron work.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I recall reading a tidbit about an American scientist making a discovery in synthesising fertilizer or some such and, as there was a war going on, publication of this breakthrough (and apparently all publications in chemistry) were held back until after the war. This complete silence convinced Hitler that we had found some kind of super gas and also played a part in his holding back the use of chemical weapons. Is there any truth to that?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh good, another milsurp toy for local police departments to have in the background for drug bust press conferences, sit and rust in the motor pool lest it suck up precious money better spent on officer hours and, if they actually run it, another battering ram they forget to set the parking brake on so it rolls down the hill into done poor neighbor's house.

The local five oh aren't rolling down the streets of Baghdad, they don't have a reasonable use for a mine resistant steel behemoth, barring the rare not-guy-in-hoodie-with-a-.22 bank robbery.

Sell em off to foreign militaries, eccentric collectors who want to go mudding in the dumbest vehicle possible, sit em in a boneyard until our next ill advised adventure in some sandy shithole, or say gently caress it and donate them to high school auto shops. Just about anything is better than handing them out to cops.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Gunship 2000 and M1 Tank Platoon 2 loving owned and anyone who preferred Novalogic was bad and dumb.

You better not be talking poo poo about F-22 Lightning II :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bewbies posted:

What in the gently caress, is this actually true or am I not getting a joke?

Its from Rainbow 6.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Couldn't do any harm, I guess.

Until it turns out that the colored RAM paint takes even longer to cure, requires orphan blood to set the correct tint, and each batch needs a LockMart exec to blow a load into it, just cause.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The Soviets developed their entire aerial warfare doctrine around working within US air dominance(for example, there's a focus on long range aerial cruise missiles and anti-radiation missiles designed to attack AWACS planes.). It's very telling how they considered their prospects in that regard, though it did lead them to develop air defense in a more comprehensive way than the US.

This came about in large part because the Soviets spent a large part of WWII with the Luftwaffe overhead, didn't it? Meanwhile the American experience of usually having air superiority led to projects like the York being a big pile of poop and the reaction was a big "welp, the fighters and chapparel or whatever will do". Meanwhile the Soviets are designing loads of ZSU's, the Tunguska, etc to blot down anything that wants to try having a go. So then we make Apaches with pop-up fire and forget missiles, A-10s with enough armor to hopefully make a few runs on an armored column and so on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Well, as far as the York goes the Zsu-57-2 was crap. Like, really really bad and they sold them off to client states ASAP. The Zsu-23-4 was kinda good but still not so good in an age of fast moving jets and tree-level helicopters because it was very short ranged with a *really* low ceiling, yet the RADAR was also infamously garbage at picking out targets from clutter at low altitudes, and it had a hilariously tiny engagement envelope against fast movers - which even in those cases it apparently had trouble keeping the guns on. The Soviets just managed not to mow down a chunk of the Politburo with it (the RADAR probably couldn't find them). In the end it ended up most useful for providing manually aimed support fire for infantry in Afghanistan.

For air defenses in general the US kept up until the 70's, and even then continued to keep up or surpass the USSR in long and very short range SAMs. What the US didn't do was put short or medium range missiles on tracked vehicles like the SA-6/8/9/11/13/15, it just kept on trucking with the semi-mobile HAWK. Redeye was OK for its time, Stinger was and continues to be great, Patriot was and is also fantastic (and despite being on trailers was actually even comparably mobile to the early SA-10).

Somehow I'm not surprised! It's nice to hear that the Soviets could field worthless systems, too. I was really only posting about the doctrinal directions/influences and the systems they spawned, in my utter layperson/lurker level of knowledge.

Thanks to Wargame I realize the US didn't entirely neglect the ground based air defense aspect, but rather the SHORAD guns systems (beyond, like, the m113 with a Vulcan on it) while the Soviets loved to slap AAA on old tank chassis.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mortabis posted:

FYI you should not be taking Wargame at all as a serious reflection of military hardware at any time period and I say this as someone with >1000 hours in its multiplayer. In Airland Battle the Soviets play with vehicles that are 3-5 years newer than everyone else's and in Red Dragon half the stuff never existed.

I wasn't being serious about that :shhh: That'd be like saying World in Conflict demonstrated the uselessness of all ground based AA because a half dozen Apaches could volley fire hellfires and blow up an army group's worth of Buks and then run rampant on the rest of the armor.

But really if I didn't have a layered defence of manpads teams in forests, backed by flakpanzers and their autocannon armed transports backstopped by rolands then 30 Hinds would show up and demolish my fighting force from nowhere. :argh:

Now I am curious why the ZSU 57 was so bad. Low shell velocity further hamstringing an already anemic engagement envelope? Useless fire control? Suboptimal turret tracking and elevation speeds? Couldn't fire enough rounds in the small window it got to have a reasonable chance of doing damage?

E: Oh, it's a shortly post-WWII design, I thought it came later, rather than before the -23-4

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 1, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Still, when I read this I feel like they can't have been looking all that hard? An RC-135 crashes into the side of a mountain, it's bound to be obvious from the air to an observer aircraft flying a few weeks later in better weather, right?

The quote is kinda vague and I didn't read the article but it may have gone down in lovely weather, preventing search efforts until it was all covered over with snow. After that? Good luck.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The real way to measure penis missile size is by the number of tires its TEL has.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Unmanned turret, supposedly. Idk, the tank looks good visually I think. But that loving new Russian emblem looks like something you'd find on a god drat Micromachine in the 90's, not a loving modern military emblem. Shits awful looking.

I thought unmanned turrets were, in part, to bring the size down so there was a smaller target.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

david_a posted:

Is a T-34 vulnerable against RPG-7s?

Oh without a doubt.

Some quick wiki'ing gives the heaviest armor on a T-34-85 as 90mm, while an RPG-7 is listed as blowing through 250-750mm of RHA, depending on the warhead.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 5, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

david_a posted:

Are RPG-7s still a threat to top-of-the-line modern MBTs?

Potentially? It's just a launcher, it all depends on the munition you're firing, and where you hit.

I remember reading a damage report of an Abrams in Iraq hit by an RPG-7 round that penetrated one side and out the other (maybe just splattered the other side) but missed any critical bits/crew.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

david_a posted:

Was that a RPG-7 or a RPG-29? I was browsing Wikipedia to see what the latest-and-greatest was, and it seems the U.S. thought they were a big enough threat that they didn't allow the Iraqi Government to buy any for fear of them getting into insurgency hands.

Damned if I know, IIRC the damage report wasn't entirely sure either considering they didn't catch the guy who shot the rocket. I believe the consensus was that it was either a modern RPG-7 warhead or a -29.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bewbies posted:

In any case we're getting to the point where we can't improve much more on armor protection while keeping the vehicle at useful sizes, while warheads continue to get better and better.

Thus the drive for better and better ERA and point defense/active protection systems.

I want to ask questions about APS stuff but I expect the answer would be "the people that know won't be talking about it"

But really, what is on the horizon in that field? Any advances on the 'not shredding the supporting infantry with a big shotgun blast aimed at the threat' front?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Very cool, thanks.

Would fire rate be an issue with DE protection systems? I'm sure the big gas turbine in, say, an Abrams can pump out lots of juice but there has to be a limitation in there somewhere, be it recharging capacitor banks or letting the emitter assembly cool down or whatever. I doubt many tanks suffer attack from 3 or 4 directions within a few seconds but its a though. I have seen videos of the top-attack interceptors, they're pretty drat slick.

Now I'm pipe dreaming, but with good enough sensors and quick enough aiming systems, would the fancy new prototype guided .50 bullets be even remotely effective? Like, a CROWS setup that can be set to automatic defense. With all the downsides that come along with errant .50 rounds, of course.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

And the modern ones are p smart about not injuring you. Also holy loving hell "The minimal ejection altitude for ACES II seat in inverted flight is about 140 feet (43 m) above ground level at 150 KIAS"

That, uh, that seems awfully low. Must be one hell of a ride (assuming you actually stay conscious)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alaan posted:

It was hilarious watching Grey Hunter in his War in the Pacific let's play(Which is pure insanity, one in game day per real life day for 4 years starting on December 7th 2010 I think). He had so many huge gently caress ups on the back of weird interface bits. He had MOSTLY conquered the interface after four years of gameplay. Mostly.

As the Allies. And then last year he went and started a Japanese playthrough with the same gimmick. :allears: Though I think it was abandoned due to a hard drive failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I spent waaay too much time watching an my AIM-120 fly across 20+ miles through the missile chase cam in F-22 Lightning II. Also trying to drop jdams down nuke plant cooling stacks.