Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Saw some nvidia branded 660ti s at work this morning. $300 retail but can't sell then until the 18th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Employee price on the 660 is 294. So given my totally unscientific analysis, you may see some reference cards for 280 on mewegg once the initial craze dies down.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

We just got news the 660ti should retail for 350, I believe our street date is still 8/18

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

At this point is there any reason for someone to buy a Mac instead of a Windows pc other than being an Apple fanboy? I understand in the old days there were reasons, but now, a Mac is just a PC with OSX and a giant markup on parts.

I've never owned an Apple computer of any type, but it does seem that they pair good hardware choices together, then create good software to back it up. For example, they were the first one to do Retina screens or whatever on laptops, but I'm pretty sure they prepared OS X scaling to back up that hardware. Now, all of these PC Laptop manufacturers are rushing to make laptops with huge resolutions, even higher than Retina, but Windows doesn't scale particularly well and a lot of big name softwares aren't scaling at all. I mean, I'm on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and I think the resolution is too high and it takes too much GPU power to push it for gaming, and now PC manufacturers are pushing higher resolutions than that into 14" screens. I'm not certain that PC manufacturers are making good hardware choices when I start seeing things like this. It often seems they are playing catch-up and then try to turn that into a race, which leads to a lot of missteps. Overall, I think Apple does a lot of neat things, and then the PC market tends to follow. All-in-one PCs didn't show up until after the iMac with an LCD did, for example. And yes, all-in-ones are generally terrible, but it was really easy to sell them to old people. Ultrabooks didn't show up until after the Macbook, and every PC still had a DVD drive until Macbooks chucked theirs. I personally think the new(ish) Mac Pro has a really neat design and is probably engineered well.

Of course, you're in a graphics card thread, which generally means you're a gamer like me, so Apples aren't really a good value proposition to you or me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

When you're running SLI, is it common to have one GPU substantially hotter than the other? I'm running DA:Inquisition right now and one GPU is sitting at 59 while the other is sitting at 82ish. I'd sit the two GPUs farther apart but they don't make SLI cables that long (unless someone knows of a place I can get an SLI cable longer than 120mm)

The top card will usually be the hotter one. It may not be getting enough air, or could be in taking the hot air off the back plate of lower card. Sometimes mobos have 3 slots between cards which can help alleviate this but usually it's just 2. If one card is a blower type and one an open fan, put the blower on top.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Froist posted:

Stupid question but if the general consensus is that blowers are crap, why are they always the reference design?

Also, you wouldn't want to go SLI or Crossfire with anything but blower coolers, unless you are going to go with watercooling. Like someone else said, the open shroud type coolers blow the air off of the cooler in any direction, while blowers shoot most of it out the back. This means that any open shroud type cooler that gets sandwiched close to any other cooler, is going to get real hot. So, a blower cooler should work in almost any configuration, but it may be louder than most people want. An open shroud (and usually multi-fan) cooler, will run cooler and quieter than a blower, so long as their adequate space/ventilation, so they are usually best for single card set ups. To further this, SLI/Crossfire is generally a poor value proposition, and why most goons in this thread will recommend the most expensive single card you can afford rather than a multi-card set up, so most people should get an open shroud cooler, provided there is adequate space and/or ventilation.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

This also makes them much better, in general, for SFF cases, SLI/CF, and other scenarios where you have limited space to work with to the point that open-air after market coolers would have a hell of a time generating enough airflow to work correctly. Sure, for most people it'll never be an issue, but they're not completely useless.

For an SFF case, if you have proper ventilation, then an open shroud shouldn't be an issue. Of course, in an SLI/CF configuration, you can't ventilate a PCB, so you gotta go blower.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Holy gently caress 1x 1080 is faster than a Titan X or 980 SLI, by a significant margin apparently. :stare:

Where does the Ti fall in to that graph? It seems it was left out, so the 1080 isn't faster than 980Ti SLI. Still, that's a huge improvement, and at a lot less power, as Ti's are about 250W.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

havenwaters posted:

The cynic in me wants to say they're already OCing to reach that 2.1ghz.

I'm pretty sure they admitted it was overclocked. I think it was directly, but I don't have a stenographer here. Even if it was not directly, but by referencing Maxwells on liquid nitrogen, they acknowledged it.

Did the Maxwell cooler have a vapor chamber, btw?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

$600 for the 1080, $700 for the Founders Edition that will most likely be binned for dope OCs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Watch it only be like 6GB of fast RAM and 2GB of slow ram. GARBAGE.

Why didn't they give us any real specs on it?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So is the thing done? Is there some place where I can read about the features and poo poo?

No, they were literally just announced and it's a Friday night and Tom is probably getting fired.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ElTipejoLoco posted:

If current GPU I have is a GeForce 9500 GT that currently has no cooling fan in its heat-sink because it broke, should I wait for the fabled 1070/1080 to come out, or should I stop living way back in the past yet?

I mean, the answer is obviously "why are you still using a GPU without a cooling fan, you dolt," but I'd still like to know the hypothetical answer with regards to upgrading to something that GeForce Experience won't be all "haha, let me tease you about the new functions I support that I can't even pretend to be able to give your outdated piece of junk."

Are you going to throw $380-600 on a video card? If not, we should be seeing the discounts on older lines sooner than that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The other thing here is that what's being launched in three weeks is actually the Founder's Edition cards, so you could reasonably say that the launch price for the 1080 is actually $700 and the 1070 is $450. Which is way above the curve, those are both the most expensive cards in their performance classes that NVIDIA has ever launched by far. They even beat out the 780.

At some currently-undisclosed date in the future, the base edition will be launched, but prices always decline over time. And depending on parts availability, yields, and demand - it could be quite a while before they start launching the cheaper models.

I think this will be particularly true of the 1080 - GDDR5X is only just entering volume production (if it even has yet) and I think this will severely constrain supply of the 1080. I think we'll probably see a small quantity released at launch but not full volume production for another 3-ish months.

Also of note is that Anandtech thinks that only the Founder's Edition will have a vapor-chamber blower cooler, they think the base model will get open coolers instead.

http://anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

There's nothing on Nvidia's site that would make me believe that their reference 1080GTX won't have the vapor chamber, but of course OEMs are able to put whatever they want in there.

Edit: The only mention of such on their product page is"
code:
GROUNDBREAKING NEW DESIGN

The new GeForce GTX 1080 is meticulously crafted to offer superior heat dissipation using vapor chamber cooling technology and premium materials, so it runs as cool as it looks.
Since it doesn't mention Founder's edition, we can probably assume it means all reference cooler designs.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 8, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

GokieKS posted:

They are actually very good, especially for builds that require blower-style heatsinks (e.g. some mATX/mITX cases). Performs well and pretty quiet.

To add to this, the new blower probably isn't worse than the 9-series blower. That, coupled with the fact that the 980Ti was ~250W and the 1080 is 180W, so there's like 30% less heat to begin with. So, we should be fairly optimistic about the new blower, despite its stupid looks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Bardeh posted:

So is this basically saying that a stock 1080 just about beats a fully overclocked 980ti, but not by all that much?

It's probably not a good benchmark for a number of reasons. Most importantly it's at too low of a resolution for its capabilities. We probably can't tell how much of a difference the new, faster memory makes with these benchmarks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Uhh, I guess this should explain what the Founder's edition is, and why there will be a lack of reference design coolers from OEMs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYA-IR2sqTE

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

High start prices and reserve prices are both anti-patterns on eBay. You want to drum up interest in your item, get those watchlists and outbid notifications flowing. It's heartburn-inducing because usually >50% of your bids will come in the last 5 minutes and most of them will be in the last 20 seconds.

You are also incentivized to not have high starting prices and reserves, as they cost you more listing fees and may take a bigger cut of your final price.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm just waiting for it to come out by the end of the month, it already looks pretty on DOOM with the Vulkan API, I'm sure I'll be fine running it on my PC even if it isn't overclocked. The 980Ti might as well be a waste of money because it's just half the performance of the 1080.

The 1080 is faster than 980s in SLI (suffering from SLI scaling), but not twice as fast as a 980. It is probably 20-30% faster than a 980Ti, although the new technologies incorporated into it may make it even faster in some benchmarks.

Hope this helps, these are all qualitative statements.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

*pending overclocking results

Yes, but both cards can be overclocked... so why don't we just discuss stock clocks for now, otherwise we are going to have to talk about liquid nitrogen and other stupid poo poo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

why dont companies sell a cooler-less card specifically for custom loops? Is it because there is no money to be made or maybe because they dont want idiots buying the cheapest card and then frying it when they use it cooler-less?

Well, they probably make somewhat of a profit off their coolers so they're not saving themselves any money, and there isn't a huge demand for it. Plus, since so many buyers tend to go for the cheapest card they can find, they're going to get a lot of complaints and returns from people who are too stupid to know what they're buying. Oh, and most manufacturer's don't want to warranty anything without their own cooler.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It's pretty amazing how much chatter there is going on about the 1080/1070, despite how little information has actually been released. And the NDA's still being in effect.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

What is missing? we pretty much know all about it except for independent benchmarks.

It's more a statement about some of the wild speculation, misinterpretation and misinformation that's been generated, especially when put into comparison with AMD's side of things, of which we have almost no information on.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

S2716DG brand new is $539 on Amazon right now apparently:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

In general, these are much nicer than the XB270HU right? I use a 1920x1200 Dell monitor currently and they've always seemed pretty high quality.

No, they're worse because they're TN panels, not IPS.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So, apparently this is a thing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gpustrongarm/gpustrongarm

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I guess it just pushes your PCI-E connectors up?

Also, if I was this guy, trying to sell this thing for $15-20, I wouldn't bother including a custom made wooden box with every one. It's not like someone needs to take this thing out and transport it every other day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Looks like the nvidia crazy overclock train isn't slowing down.

These cards only have an 8pin power connector too. Wanna see one that can really supply some power.

I think a lot of the board partners are going to add a second plug, possibly just a 6-pin for their power systems, which may help for OCing and what not. Or they're just being cheap and using less efficient power systems, who knows.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

To benefit from 4k, wouldn't your game need 4k textures? Like I run Diablo 3 at 1440p and it doesn't take advantage of that at all.

I assume some games might just show you more stuff, while using the same resolution textures. Like, you could see more of the map in a Civilizations game, or something, but I'm not sure how many games actually do that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

But my eSports fairness!

You know, because the only people who play D3 are interested in the competitive hardcore aspect of it, and it would be totally impossible to program in a "noncompetitive freeform" mode that would let you use arbitrary aspect ratios.

Yea, they should just allow it for anything but the actual ranked stuff.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

tijag posted:

This is really optimistic. I'm expecting ~ GTX 970 performance for $269 or something like that.

GTX 970's have been just about that price when on sale or with some Jet.com fuckery for a while...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Is the FE's cooling really that bad? I was watching a JayzTwoCents video and it seemed like most of the issues could be fixed by modifying the fan curve and power limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsfw9GnWUY&t=405s

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Here's JayzTwoCents talking about the 1080 throttling again, and how to work around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUo1S55ZUM

Interestingly, he said all reference coolers have done this, and it's not new. Which is probably why I've avoided them for so long.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

I love my 21:9 monitor, but it's 2560x1080.

I can't imagine going to 34", that would be simply ridiculous in size and not fit very well on my desk, methinks.

I forgot that Ultrawides usually cost as much as the next "jump" up in 16:9 monitor resolutions :negative:

It's only 5" wider and 4" taller.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

All of the AIB 1070 and 1080's look needlessly big. That is unfortunate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

You know how the saying goes... Once you go Freesync, you never go Gsync.

[because I already have a nice Freesync monitor]

Edit: Plus, you can't do that trick with the GTX 1080's because so far they all insist on keeping the DVI taking up the second slot. They seriously need to make the DVI piece hooked up to the board with a detachable ribbon cable, like those low-profile cards where you can gently caress with the VGA port placement.

You can literally cut it off, and it will function just fine. Linus showed it a few times on his channel, its the same as being not connected to anything.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

sout posted:

I think I still have 1333Mhz RAM sticks (2x4GB), I've never really thought about RAM but I know this is a relatively low frequency.

Does it matter at all?
I mean I guess the obvious answer is that if it's never been a problem for me it's fine, but I'm not missing out on any significant performance increases or anything, am I?

Back in the day it didn't really matter. Now, we're seeing minimum frame rate being effected by RAM speed in the more demanding games like GTA V and Witcher 3. Unfortunately, the test have mostly been done on Skylake, with DDR4, so I can't tell you how much it will effect DDR3 systems. I am legitimately curious too, because of my strange build.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ufarn posted:

Maybe there should be a thread or effort post about it. I still can't make heads or tails of it.

Go into your UEFI (aka your BIOs that lets you use a mouse), bump the CPU multiplier up to whatever everyone is generally saying is "safe" or "guaranteed." Save and exit. There, you did it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Geemer posted:

gently caress it, let's go full 360 on this fucker and bake it. If it'll last me until that 480 comes out, I'll be pleased. And if I gently caress it up, I guess I'll get a learning experience about the power of the Intel HD Graphics 2500, which should at least let me do web browsing.

I'm pretty confident in ruling out the display connectors because those lovely pixels show up on screenshots and on both my monitors.

A logistics question: I'm pretty comfortable around installing CPUs and their HSF, are there notable differences to that process for GPU? I've never taken the cooling off of one of those before.

There are little sticky thermal pads for the VRMs, when you take the main heatsink off, try to stick them to it as they would be arranged on the video card.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

wargames posted:

Except the 480 8gb is going to be around 240?

He is talking AUS prices, as mentioned in the first paragraph of his post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Qmass posted:

So would I be better off upgrading my system from an i5-2500K and 8gigs of I dunno if its even DDR2 or 3 from 5+ years ago and keep my 960 or getting a 1080 ?

It's DDR3. You can probably get a pretty good overclock out of that processor as long as you have a decent cooler. Most games won't bottleneck on that CPU so it's probably worth hanging on to, at least until the next wave. That is, of course, unless you happen to play or want to play the games that are more CPU intensive.