Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Also, for the people talking about how badly mouse and kb sucks, I'm using it and it's fine. l/r click attack, shift blocks, tab parries by default. Q for use and E for item, which I switched around since I'm used to E as use. It's all pretty easy to figure out. The one thing that is weird is that Q counts as A except in menus when it is enter and B is backspace. Of course, you'll be getting all the wrong prompts but with half a brain you can figure out what everything does in a minute or two by looking it up in the controls menu.

I wouldn't say the mouse/kb controls suck horribly, but they could be a lot better. The mouse is kinda jerky and having several buttons swap around depending on what menu you're in is pretty much a recipe for disaster (I used RMB to come out of the Undead Merchant's menu and ended up stabbing him in the face :ughh:). I think the biggest issue I had was that it took near half an hour tweaking the controls to get them set up in a way that wasn't annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tarranon posted:

So I never really hosed around with the multiplayer that much in the Xbox version, had no invaders, never helped anyone either. I guess you could say I did the original bosses alone, on the original harder difficulty :smug: (while dying a loving ton).

This is why I ended up trading in my 360 version, because the online elements were broken/deserted despite being human a good amount of time and soling lost it's luster. But so far while being human I've seen a lot of white marks and that gives me hope.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So, just got my first invasion. While under the Dragon bridge. And the invader spawned on the bridge. He didn't last long :darksouls:

Then I stuck my head up to laugh at his corpse and got hit by the now-rampaging Dragon :darksouls:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

There actually is one on the bridge. But yeah, its a nasty surprise.
So, how do i get summoned into another game for jolly coop?

As you come to the dragon bridge, turn the other way and look for a cheerful chap. Talk to him, answer yes to all his questions, and receive a white soapstone from him. Then plonk it in a well-travelled area and wait for a summon.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Farming isn't terribly efficient there. Plus, you usually don't want to get your SL too out of range for the area, or you'll have a tough time finding summons.

Farming is a good idea for upgrading gear though. A few runs through the Parish can net you enough souls to pimp most of your gear.

voltron lion force posted:

Dude... the voice acting owns.

Don't go dying now. Neh heh heh heh heh!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Anyone else having huge connectivity problems when trying to summon people? I had successful summonings/pvp before so I don't know if the problem is on my side or theirs...

Oddly enough, I have no trouble getting summoned, but almost always fail to summon people. When I tried the Gargoyles I tried at least ten people directly outside the door and several others scattered around, and only one worked. And he ran towards that Baldur Knight outside the Parish and rolled straight off the bridge :ughh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Norns posted:

Alright, I haven't played much since launch. I really want to make a heavy tank character.

I'm planing on using a Greatshield of Artorias for the massive stablity. I'm figure my best bet is to go with a str build. Does anyone have any good recommendations for builds focusing on using that shield?

Hell, I don't even know what str weapons are good to use paired with a shield anymore.

On the 360 version I pretty much ran with Elite Knight Armour, Zweihander and Eagle Shield for half the game. Upgrade the Zweihander to lightning and swap out armour and shield when needed, and go nuts. I also carried a Lightning Winged Spear for anything too fast for the Zweihander and a Longbow for any shooting. Worked pretty well.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

aegeryn posted:

Oh God, gently caress Blighttown. My frame rate is pretty good, but gently caress everything else about this godforsaken hellhole and its snipers with their curving darts and falls everywhere and lovely layout.

Once the snipers are dead it's not that bad. Plus I always found it amusing that the fire dog's pathfinding didn't take large drops into account, and you'd randomly get souls as they aggroed and nose-dived off the side. But yea, it's still an unholy shithole, and I'm pretty sure that the watermill is powered by the tears of frustrated players.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The Mimic posted:

I find the mosquitos to be far worse, but I use a 2h weapon. It probably should be easier than it is for me.

That's why I carry a spear, for stabbing fast jerks. Although you just reminded me of another "gently caress Blighttown" thing, infinitely respawning mosquitoes.

gently caress Blighttown.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rookersh posted:

people saying they are taking out O&S/Anor Londo/Blighttown at 15 or so

These people are showing off. The average level for Blighttown is 25-35, with Anor and O&S being around 40+.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

Ok, I made the taurus guy my bitch and now I've explored around until the only paths to progress are either past a dragon or past a big metal hog. Any advice? The dragon just roasts me, and I made it up the stairs next to the hog (with some apparent pathing problems) and got slaughtered by its henchmen due to carelessness.

You need to get past the hog (getting past the dragon just leads to the hog). Clear out the zombies (lure the spear zombie to the stairs to prevent getting crossbowed to death), then either lure the hog into the fire, shoot it in the arse, or just run past down the stairs.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Revol posted:

I'm curious about something. I rang the first bell, at the top. But I wonder if I did it earlier than normal? I'm level 25, and I've only done the Burg and the area after it. It just seems... like this bell was the mid-point of the game, yet I ran it when I'm only like 1/4th through the game.

Mid-point? More like 1/15th through the game. There's a LOT of game left.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rookersh posted:

But what does Pyromancy draw from spellwise? I thought Int, but it looks like it actually doesn't get much in the way of gains from Int. Would it just be better to focus on Dex/Attunement for a Pyromancer?

It draws from the level of the Pyromancer Flame. Upgrade that poo poo!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Woah woah woah woah! When did the Sunbros Faith requirement get halved!? Time for some jolly co-op!

DMBFan23 posted:

If you don't care about parrying then Blighttown has the Eagle Shield which is the highest stability out of the non-greatshields.

The Eagle Shield got a little nerfed, with 95% physical resistance rather than 100%. You're better off with the Baldur Shield until you reach Sen's, unless you get REALLY lucky with the Black Knight or that big dude in the Parish.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 28, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
gently caress you Quelaag. gently caress your lovely little boss fight, your fiery doom farts, your lava vomit and the whole of Blighttown in general. And now you're dead and I can finally go somewhere fun! :woop:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hezelius posted:

Oh gently caress this.

I was trying to get some co-op going for O&S when I got invaded. During this fight I somehow managed to hit Solaire. Obviously I died when both guys were attacking me.
And just when I died I don't know what the gently caress happened but solaire got killed by a silver knight.

Co-op is jolly no more.

Summoning always fails. I have no idea how I'm going to handle Fat Bastard and Lightning spear rear end in a top hat.

I think I'm gonna cry :cripes::darksouls:

VVV Just got the fat guy killed and oh god what are you doing spearguy no no NOOOOO gently caress YOU.

If you're not above cheesing the fight, head over to the Moonlight Butterfly and kill it to death, then use the soul to craft the Crystal Shield. Equip it with the most powerful weapon you can one-hand, grab Brolaire and head in, and use the shield bash to use the shield like a Tron disc while they are busy attacking your jolly companion.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

CRS got nerfed long ago, and does flat damage now regardless of your other weapon.

:argh: And I really wanted the DragonSlayer armour

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well this is something I've never seen before. The bonfire next to the sunbro statue under the Dragon has gone dark, same as the Firelink bonfire :iiam:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Are you sure that a black knight isn't chasing you or anything? If enemies get too close the fires disable themselves, and BKs are notorious for not breaking off aggro.

Or like Shima said, someone could be trying to invade you.

It wasn't invasion (or if it was, it failed horribly since I played for a fair bit afterwards), so it was likely a hollow soldier since I just ran from Andre to there because I couldn't be arsed to fight.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
^^^ Why do some people feel the need to murder all the NPCs?

HenryEx posted:

Is there no PvP going on in sen's fortress? I was walking around for hours in there and no one ever invaded. The place seems tailor-made for some intense chases and matches.

It's also tailor-made for killing you. As with Blighttown, you'll have a tough time finding someone who is still human because of all the dying.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Speaking of O&S, any good tips on cheesing the fight with Super Ornstein? I've just failed my 20th attempt and I no longer care about doing it honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Out of curiosity, where are people dropping their signs for O&S? I always did it at the last bonfire before the fight and had no problems summoning or getting summoned on PS3, but nothing on PC. I'm level 50 and have never once seen a summon sign in that room.

I'm close to giving up and chalking it up to GFWL being unreliable, but that's my favorite fight in the game. :(

I drop it by the bonfire, hack my way to where the fog door is, drop it there, return to the bonfire, rest, drop it there, and repeat until I get summoned or get bored and bugger off.

That said, last night I also had a shitload of trouble getting summons. Thankfully, I finally got one by the fog door and he turned out to be awesome enough to help me to victory :woop:

• Locked thread