Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Haha so my step son has a friend that works at toys r us. He called and said they have two deluxes left plus zombie u and Mario. I send him with my credit card and he texts back "mission accomplished." Easiest last minute purchase ever and I didn't even need to leave the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Is this system update taking forever for anyone else? Trying to determine if my network is slow or if the servers are being slammed.

I am at 10% after five minutes.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ok good. Thanks guys. At least I'm not alone in my misery. Lol

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
This thing is finally updating instead of downloading. I feel like I did when I won dark souls.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
The video quality from Netflix on the pad is amazing!!!!!!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Zombie u is a fantastic game so far. I'm genuinely scared on a lot of parts. Great atmosphere and the sounds the zombies make are terrifying.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Republicans posted:

Does everyone else's gamepad rattle in the right-hand side when they move it around? I just now noticed it.

Yeah mine does this too Repub. I have tried to pin point it down. I didn't take out the stylus however, maybe that is it. It's on the right side of the pad for you correct? Seems to be near the upper right buttons.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Just out of curiousity, why is Nintendo so insistent in using Dolby Pro-Logic II rather than 5.1 Dolby Digital? Here we are in 2012 and on their latest console they are still using the same virtual surround sound found on the Gamecube.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

evilalien posted:

It supports 5.1 PCM over HDMI which is true surround sound and superior to Dolby Digital and DTS. It's obviously a cost cutting measure since they aren't paying for the licenses. It does leave people with receivers that can't do HDMI audio in a bad position though.

Gotchya. I didn't see the PCM over HDMI. And in the menu options it just says "Surround". Thanks for the heads up. That is better for me as I have a receiver capable and switch through that anyway.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Surlaw posted:

If anyone could recommend a specific device for that that would be great.

Not sure if you have the budget, but you would be much better off just saving for a receiver with HDMI switching which will take care of all of this for you and will help your set up in the long run anyway.

My complaints so far is that the UI is sluggish and slow - with that said, it is easy enough to navigate. But I wish it was a lot more responsive.

With that said, I have this console for the 1st party games, and I do not see this system as anything but. But I am used to that now, and it has been this way since the N64.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2012

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

I would agree but in this case there is more to the lackluster launch here than meets the eye. And I like the machine so far and look forward to more 1st party games. With that said, some notable issues, some matter, some may not - but either way it just screams unfinished:

* Amazon, Hulu, and Youtube not functional. (There really should be no reason for this given consoles out since 2004 have had this functionality for a while)

* Overlay issues on displays. (This can be fixed for the User Interface screen by reducing the image in settings, but for games, it remains - and there are no options to fix this in game options. (Happening to quite a few folks)

* No Optical out/Ethernet Port (Debatable)

* Very slow and sluggish user interface. While it is easy to navigate, the objective measuring sstick here would be speed. It is ungodly slow to open a channel, and loading a game seems to take much longer than on PC or any other console currently.

* Battery on the Pad was obviously scaled down as noted in several pictures. This can be offset though with a relatively long AC Cable to plug your pad into at least.

* Lack of DD/DTS. However as illustrated above, LPCM is better, however, some may not have access to newer receivers and rely on optical input/output with DD/DTS licensing.

* System tied - not account based (This one is just flat out retarded)

* The transfer tool is horribly slow. Wii to Wii U transfers are taking forever - not because of network - just because it is poorly engineered.

Anyway, as far as current gen and PC ultra settings, the difference is huge. Higher resolution, tesselation, better lighting, HDR, occlusion, etc. Anyone who doesn't see this (Take a look at Crysis 2 between 360 and PC with all upgrades - HD pack, DX 11 kit) it is a major difference. While the Wii U just caught up to the 360 and PS3 here, it's more of them concentrating on a new way to play games. Time will tell or not if it will pan out. Until then, I am guessing we will see the next gen for Sony and Microsoft be powerful enough to catch up to current day computer systems and DX 11 specs with higher end graphical processing power.

The Wii U just isn't it. But it was never supposed to be. Hopefully it doesn't bite them in a year.

\/\/\/ Yeah Steam did it for me as well. Unforutnately, the marketplace on Xbox is a joke - their sales are anything but, and they are most definitely not good deals. Sony seems to have figured it out however with free games when subscribed to plus, and some overall good deals and sales that actually * are * good deals.

Microsoft has a lot to learn from Valve and why it is so popular.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 19, 2012

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Gendo posted:

When is the next big wave of titles going to hit? Q1 2013? I'm still holding off until I see another title or two that really interest me but it's kind of tempting to make a move now prior to the holidays since I'll have tons of guests running through the house in the holidays.

A couple new games are going to hit when the other regions launch. But yeah, I would steer more towards March of 2013 before you see some other titles hit the market that may steer you down the Wii U path. My guess is we won't see first party titles for Zelda and Metroid for quite some time.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

netBuff posted:

And the current "save haven" for indie developers (aside of PSN and XBL) are iOS and Android.

I agree with you on the CPU comments (I think Anandtech said on twitter it was a dual core 1 Ghz CPU - I could be wrong though) but as far as a safe haven for Indie devs, Nintendo's recently released policies on indie development have been VERY positively received making it very easy to develop, market, and patch without being nickle and dimed to death.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Yes. :).

Also, I received a message saying I had a post removed because it violated the Nintendo terms of service. The post was me asking if I could play darksiders II on my pad rather than the TV. :what:

Oh wait I said "thanks everyone, awesome" when people replied that yes you could, and that post was deleted. I wonder if its just automated. I should try reporting random garbage and see if an auto admin just deletes it without reviewing.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 21, 2012

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Skunk Ape posted:

I've not only made a weed joke regarding smoking a Budlord in Pikmin, but directly referenced sacrificing baby Yoshis to Satan in a reply to another goon's drawing depicting pentagrams, and none of these posts were moderated.

Seems pretty random!

Lol that's awesome.

If anyone knows of a fix to make sure my tv screen does not overscan, I'm all ears. My tv is set correctly to normal, the confit is set to 1080p, yet I'm still getting games cutting off graphically on my display.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I just got off the phone with Nintendo technical support, the person I was speaking with said I was the first case he heard of that the surround not working properly. He made up a ticket for it but couldn't say whether or not it would get escalated, just that someone might take a look at it and provide some sort of information to me. I guess I'm stuck with 2.0 sound.

Just for clarification so I know I'm not crazy, but Netflix, New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendoland are supposed to have 5.1 surround right?

It depends on the content for Netflix. A lot of content doesn't have it, and the hardware simulates surround. (Hardware meaning Receiver)

Not sure about 5.1 on Super Mario. It's a 2D platform game. There isn't anything going on in the 3D world that would make the game want that capability since there is no need to have those sounds come from one direction.

What I would do to test it is rent a copy of Zombie U or purchase a copy. Concentrate your character in a certain location, and spin the character around in circles using your controller. If the sounds move from speaker to speaker, your surround is working correctly.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

Check out the PS3 launch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games
came out November 06 with less games most of the games it did have were crappy PS2 ports, then 3 games in December, 1 in January, 2 in Feburary. A bunch of people consider the first true AAA release to be on March 20th when Oblivion and Armored Core came out.
Wii U launched with nearly 3 times as many games, then 8 in December, only 1 for January, then 2-3 for Feb and 4-5 for March maybe you never know in this industry.

Sorry to sperg a bit but this gets brought up all the time and I wanted people to just see the actual facts so people stop thinking that this release is somehow slower or worse because Nintendo.

Well, there also is the fact you have to take into account all the Wii U did from a Hardware perspective did was catch up to systems released 6 years ago. The Playstation 3 also was dealing with a new CPU format along with some pretty advanced console hardware at the time. It is easier to see why game development delays were happening. (The newer tech also goes for the XBox 360)

With that said, my Wii U is already a door stop :( I have used it a total of 8 times since I bought it. The kids do not even play Super Mario on it. Zombie U is fun but with deeper more immersive games out there, I cannot stay attached to it for very long. Here is hoping they come out with a good metroid game and a good zelda game. Maybe something to revitalize Castlevania, Kid Icarus, etc. Obviously with more games I would have played it more. But I find it insulting that I would be charged full price for games that were released 6 months to over a year ago, games of which I could purchase on Steam for pennies on the dollar over their sales or even for very cheap on the 360 or PS3. I could maybe see it had their been some advantages - but from what I have heard (and seen) the ports themselves ran into slowdowns graphically, some frame rate hitches, and over all, most definitely not worth $60.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2013

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
About the only thing I am annoyed about now with the system, aside from a lack of games, is this ridiculous rattle inside the gamepad. I used to think it was one of the shoulder buttons or the stylus inside it's holder, which it turns out it isn't. So when I move the gamepad back and forth I get this annoying small rattle, like it is just very cheaply made/designed.

I played more with my Wii U this weekend simply because I wanted to get back into Xenoblade. And I am glad I gave Nintendo land a harder look. Those are some very addicting side games - and I like the Plinko effect reward system to get cool stuff for my theme park. Tvii has a lto of possibilities. This weekend was the 1st I had turned on my Wii U in about a month, so I had some updating to do. Tagging on the NFL playoffs was a fun way to interact with others, and they had some really good pictures of the game.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

greatn posted:

It's the stylus.

It isn't. I took the Stylus out and it still makes that sound.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ok I am good with all those as long as it isn't a piece of electronics in the gamepad just waiting to falter :)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I don't doubt there's a new Zelda in development, I'd just be surprised if they showed it now because it will probably make Hyrule Warriors look like a piece of hot garbage. Think of how NSMBU comes off after you play 3D World. I am assuming based on Iwata's comments that they are sticking with WiiU at least through the end of 2015, and they've been using Zelda to send off their consoles with a bang for the last two generations.

You would think Nintendo would wisen up and start having a line up of killer IP games to play on launch day of a console.

Can you imagine if the next console launched with the following:

1) New Animal Crossing
2) New Zelda
3) New Metroid
4) New Mario
5) Super Smash Bros

2-3 of any of the games above, hell, even one, that isn't a rehash remake would sell so many systems it is ridiculous what they could do.

I am curious who makes all their bone headed decisions over there and who doesn't realize software sells the system and they have the best IP's in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

kloa posted:

I skipped the initial Wii and it's games. Is now a good time to pick up a Wii U MK8 bundle? Holding off on a PS4 until this fall, I think.

Possibly. There are some good games out there that are fun. Mario 3D, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Pikman 3, and Rayman Legends (Cross Platform)

I love playing Mario Kart 8, but I am seeing a rinse and repeat of a lot of content and play styles across their IP's currently and it's kind of discouraging. I have owned a Wii U since day one, and because of Mario Kart 8, I have played it more now in the last couple of days than since I have had it, even with the games listed above. Right now if you are really a huge Nintendo fan and you haven't played Wind Waker, it is worth it and choose Wind Waker as your free game. Other than that, about 5 games are worth it and most of those you have played before in one fashion or another. More of the same, just different level design. If that doesn't bug you, it would probably be worth it.

• Locked thread