Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KongMu posted:

For someone whose never played this... which slink is considered the most "worth it" to level up, aside from the fox?
Focus on your party members, including Rise. They get combat abilities from it, and all of them have good Personas too. Justice (Nanako) is the source of most of the best late-game Personas, and she's pretty easy to level up, so grab her too. Besides that, and Fox, just do whichever you like the characters for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

The damage formula uses a Persona's base level as part of the calulation, so Izanagi is always going to be pretty handicapped in anything but the very early game.
On the other hand, it's still better than Orpheus in P3. At least Izanagi is actually vaguely useful in the first dungeon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You probably weren't SUPPOSED to sit there resetting until you got what you wanted, but people did anyway. Anyone for who picking skills breaks the game for (guys who know gamebreaking combos or the best possible skill combinations or have memorized the fusion mechanics) are the types of guys who ALREADY basically had this mechanic, they just reset constantly until they got what they wanted. The average player will not be able to take advantage of this mechanic at all, they'll just make sure they have a healing Persona and a persona of every element. Maybe a buffing Persona if they're really pro. Which, again, is something they could already make sure of, they're just less likely to accidentally ruin their persona list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyone know how to fuse Thoth? None of the guides I've found online seem to be doing it, and I need him to fuse another thing for one of Margaret's requests.
Assuming they didn't change anything, here's how fusion works. Thoth is Level 46 Emperor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So um, after saving Naoto you get dragged into doing a stupid band thing... this is terrible. It's not funny, it has no point, it's incredibly contrived, and it's eating up the remaining days I have because they felt the need to give Rie Kugimiya some dumb song for her to sing. Also, how in the hell does the group just suddenly learn a song through practicing one day? Especially when like two of them have any sort of experience with music?

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but it's one of those things they added that was stupid and unnecessary.
Considering that someone just counted that as one of their highlights of the game on this very page, someone probably did think it was funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hctibyllis posted:

Let's see what we have. Pattern carrots.
Let's see what we have. Debt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Shadow Kanji on Hard? (Second Dungeon)

I can usually get rid of one of the henchmen, but then I just get knocked out with Swift Strike and/or Poison. Everybody is in the early 20s, and I'm running with Yaksini, Shiisaa, Jack Frost, Eligor, Phoenix, and Titan.
Take out the one who casts buffs first. The boss will wreck you if you leave him with those on him for any length of time. From there, you can generally tough out their damage. A persona who resists physical helps a ton, as does having Dekaja - either from Yosuke or from one of your personas. Be sure to guard/switch to your phys resist persona when he uses power charge. It's up to you if you want to take out the other lackey or just bumrush the boss, but I prefer taking him out - he casts Dekaja on your guys if you try and buff at all, and buffs are a huge help.

PS: If you haven't yet, you can probably take out the bonus boss in the castle dungeon at this point. Doing so will probably grab you at least a level, and also a +50 SP weapon for Yukiko, which helps a ton.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To do a quick summary: Yosuke is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades early on, later on he becomes more of a buffer/nuker.
Chie is a physical damage dealer through and through.
Yukiko is a healer/fire nuker.
Kanji is a lot like Chie in that he's a phys damage dealer but he's a bit beefier than her and his magic is worse.
Teddie can be tuned to do just about anything: Ice magic nuker, healer, buffer. The only role he can't fulfill is phys damage dealer. It's best to focus on two of those things and making him a nuker/healer just makes him a clone of Yukiko but with ice, so basically he can be a nuker/buffer or a healer/buffer. I guess you could tune him to do all three things at once, but I never tried that.
Naoto's in kind of a weird place. Very good at killing random enemies due to having both instant kill elements (and in P4:G, Electric and Ice magic) in dungeons but against bosses the only real option is mind charge + Megidoloan. It does good damage but chews through SP like woah.

That said, the Protag's wild card system means you can use literally any party you like, so long as you shore up your party's blind spot with him. The guy can do such insane damage that making him your healer probably isn't ideal, but you can still do it if you really wanna use Chie/Kanji/Yosuke or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh right it's worth noting for people playing a persona game for the first time: USE BUFFS/DEBUFFS.

Seriously they're actually really important and make things a thousand times easier, unlike every other JRPG ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They've changed Naoto significantly to get every single target Dyne spell if you go on Bike Dates. I have Kanji and Teddie, so I gave Naoto Fire and Wind and every element is covered. Also Invigorate 2+3 so SP isn't as big of a deal for Naoto as it used to be.
Oh, really? I only skimmed the new skills so I didn't notice Garu or Agidyne on Naoto. That'll help a lot, then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

I wish I could see the meeting that lead to the clown rap being included in this. THIS is what we need to make players like our new character!
You can't say it didn't work.

EDIT: Also how can you even call Mayumi and Konishi 'bitches'? We learn literally nothing about their characters.

They dead.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 3, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm fairly certain it's to Maragidyne what Maragidyne is to Maragion. A full tier of damage above it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Late on this, but I can confirm that the Death link ranks up every time you see her regardless of whether or not you have a Death persona on you. Which is good, because she's only available on Sundays and holidays and wasting one of those would be a huge pain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best way to get that Rise trophy is probably just to wait until you have all the party members, go to a dungeon with a lot of status effects (I think secret base has most represented?) then just let the monsters wail on you. Once you've gotten a decent number of "X has been whatever'd!" lines, swap out the party.

Rise seems to have multiple lines for the same thing, (I've seen at least four different 'Teddie is low on health!' ones) so I could see somebody get this without even trying to if they swapped out their party a ton.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not slightly increased damage, it's a pretty big increase. Also the default attack command is pretty piddly for everyone who isn't named Kanji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 is right for the devil S. link, yeah. Death's at the riverbank on Sundays and Holidays.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Anybody know any Personae that learn loving Auto-Sukukaja? Preferably one in mid-30s or below?
Matador learns it at level 29, but he's level 24 so unless you're high in the Death S. Link you'll have to grind him some. Ose learns it at level 35, and since he's fool he'll get there automatically I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The dub's pretty good from the scattered clips I've heard. A bit more awkward than the game, since they have to match the animation, but still very solid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. Go fusion crazy! Make sure you have enough yen to get your absolute-standby personas back from the compendium, and make sure you register personas there before you go mashing 'fuse', but beyond that go wild.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Who's non-anime Naoto, then?
Wikipedia cites Megan Hollingshead, but who knows how reliable that is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OmegaZultan posted:

Has there been a fusion guide released for the aeon and jester personas? I'm only missing 3 personas for max compendium and they are in these arcanas.
Here you go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

It has big bold print that says it's not applicable for Golden.
Except it has Jester and Aeon, which Vanilla P4 didn't? It's saying don't use it for the original P4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Satan, Helel, Samael, Beelzebub...who else? Is Asmodeus in?
No, but there's Lucifer. And Chernobog if you wanna go all night on bald mountain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I read earlier in the thread that Black Frost is awesome. It's June 21st in my game, should I focus on getting this guy?
He's a level 38 persona, so if you're high enough to get him then go for it. He's one of the best casters for a long, long while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best way to handle dating in Persona 5 would be for the option to go 'I love you' to exist but for every girl to reject you for the completely understandable reason of 'I really appreciate that but I'm in kind of an emotionally unstable time and I'm not sure if I wouldn't just be forcing my problems on you if I dated you.'

It won't happen, but I can dream.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hit Sell All Materials anytime you can. You don't need to stack them to get better items or anything. Sometimes you'll sell like two of the same material and not get any items out of it but that's because he needs like five of the same material - it keeps track of those two so you only need to sell him three more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nondevor posted:

:stare: Okay, I just fished up a bus stop sign at the beach. And it's a weapon.
Continuing on the proud tradition of Shinjiro.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It isn't an SMT boss until you slog for an hour. Let me tell you about my first fight with Daisoujou in Nocturne.
Let me tell you about being low-leveled for Persona 3's final boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

So, how many hours did that take you? Three? Four?
Three and a half I think. At least Battle for Everyone's Souls is amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I am on the verge of buying a Vita just to play this game. I just need something else to push me over the edge. Like, anything. Are there any good games at all on the horizon for the Vita? Do PSP and PS1 games look ok on it? Argh, I want to play this so much.
The Sonic racing game is very good if you like kart racers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've heard the 3DS version has some crippling bugs (like, erasing your save if you save in a certain room.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Guys what level should I be at for the Void Quest boss? Either i'm really unlucky with him hitting my characters weaknesses or seriously underleveled.
Late 30s/Early 40s?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly with P4G's new systems I think it's fine to stick with that persona. Especially since the compedium exists. Stick Yaksini in the compedium, see what you can fuse her into, fuse her into something new, then yank the original Yaksini back out if you still want/need her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it contributes points to an invisible 'exp' meter for the S. Link. Same thing that eating lunch with one of the school S. Links does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

E: One more question though. How does it determine what level the persona you're making is going to be?
Every persona starts at a pre-determined level, S. Link EXP aside. For instance, Queen Mab is always level 25 before bonus EXP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Is the blue one a reference to something? It looks familiar.
The emblem and the sword make me think Code Geass but none of the mechs in that have that sort of cylindrical design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

...Well. I absolutely hated him as Edge in Star Ocean 4 but maybe he's gotten better.
I liked him as Skelter Helter in NMH2 but that was a role with like five lines, all of them variations on "gently caress YOU! YOU KILLED MY BROTHER!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Final Fantasy games are still making money, and tons of it, but they're underperforming compared to expectations. The trainwreck that was FF14 definitely didn't help matters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What I'd really like is a fairly succinct Social Link guide that isn't a million pages that I could print. Sadly, GameFAQs has nothing of the sort. Anyone seen anything of the like?
What exactly do you want? The Max S. Link guide on gamefaqs is long as gently caress, yeah, but it's literally just "Do this on this day. Do that on this day." It's as succinct as you're gonna get for a day-by-day guide.

Or do you just want a list of what S. Links open when and what you have to do to get them open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty much just a short list of optimal replies during S-Links to print so I don't need to look it up regularly.

The Max S. Link guide is way more than I need because well, I'm not worried about getting everything. F that.
http://pastebin.com/q9xwny8t

I made a thing. Hopefully this is small enough for you to print. If it's still too big I just wasted an hour of my life copy/pasting for nothing.

EDIT: Apparently I wasted it anyway. Oh well. The experience was character building.

• Locked thread