Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Going simply by what others have said about manufacturing here, that seems an unlikely scenario. What factory is going to be operating on such a small scale? The SYPHILIS is not a complex device, surely your average Far Eastern manufacturer could poo poo out 60,000 of these turds in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Aweful Dreams posted:

Are we sure they are using Pegatron (and only Pegatron) for all areas of production from motherboard to cases to controllers, and using them for both Kickstarter units and final retail? Note that they *can't* make large batches of the cases, because the Kickstarter cases are different from retail cases, and then that number is cut down further into two separate case runs, one as small as 7,755 cases.

Multiple factories for different runs, including one of less than 8000? Using my extensive knowledge of manufacturing and factories and poo poo, this is definitely plausible. But then I am drunk right now.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How many hours does it take to download an OCELOT game? A lot. A lot.

I see the leading BUNGABUNGA game only has 40 thumbs-up votes. That's a good sign.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

From that HUBBAHUBBA email posted a while back:

"Additionally, according to UK customs, goods imported from one private person to another private person as a gift typically incurs a fee, a gift from a company to a person should not."

Pretty sure that's completely wrong. Private to private gifts with a value under £36 do not incur VAT or import duty, but there cannot be "any commercial or trade element". Over £36 and you have to at least pay VAT, and import duty applies for gifts valuing over £135. There are also handling fees.

But a POTOGOLD doesn't qualify as a gift anyway.

Two seconds googling would have supplied the correct information, you lazy fucks.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

You do realize that they already sent other products out to Britain and those made it past customs, right? They're Kickstarter backer rewards, and in this case that means they can refer to them as a "gift".

You do realise you don't understand UK customs rules? Maybe you should employ those poo poo-hot games journalism skills and Google it.

A Kickstarter backer reward is not a gift. Here are the relevant terms from HMRC:

"It must have been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in the UK."
"There must be no commercial or trade element and it must not have been paid for by the recipient either directly or indirectly."

And as I said, you only avoid charges on a gift if it's under £36. Tax must be paid over that, with further duty coming in at £135, and handling fees included too.

Now if OOGABOOGA are going to be labeling them as gifts under £36 that's tax avoidance. Should not be marked as a gift at all, and they should not be telling people that they won't be paying fees, because some of them will be. Not everyone mind - customs does not check every package so you can avoid paying sometimes.

As an example, the Pebble has been coming through with a value of $99 marked on the box, and some UK recipients have been paying around £25 extra for tax and fees.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 3, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Some dude on Reddit posted his first impressions of the HOTDAMN. Tried to stay upbeat but it didn't sound great, here are a few choice quotes:

quote:

Many games have been ported from other Android platforms with standard USB functionality play fine with it, but in some of these cases it seems that the analog stick does not perform up to par. This is a software issue on the developer, not the controller or the hardware...in GSNES the angles are not recognized well at all. When running in Super Mario World, Mario was constantly wanting to “duck” with his head down

Is that a software issue? It sounds like bad hardware design.

quote:

The shoulder buttons at the top of the controller feel a little cheap and don’t have a good “click” or “snap” to them. The triggers perform fine in all games, but on my controller they seem to have a little too much friction against the inside body resulting in a squeak.

Well it is the Stradivarius of controllers...perhaps that squeak is so you can play a tune?

Also thinks the d-pad is no better than the notoriously terrible 360 controller. Nice one.

quote:

the initial pairing process was extremely painful for me. After following the directions to the letter over multiple times I could not get the stock OUYA controller to pair after over an hour. I resorted to using my PS3 controller, which during the pairing process I’ve read you need to plug in via USB while pairing. As soon as I’d plug in the controller, then turn it on, in the Advanced Settings-bluetooth- pair screen it would show “enabling Bluetooth” and would sit there for 10 minutes. Nothing. Only after performing a hard reset on the console through the advanced settings menu was I able to get Bluetooth working the way it was designed.

Resorted to using the PS3 controller...

My very favourite thing though, is this:

quote:

During my first boot of the console I made a huge mistake in having an external USB HDD attached. Thinking I could just turn the controller on and start dicking around in the menus, I didn’t think this would be a big deal. During all of the troubles I was having in getting a controller to connect (will talk about this later) I must have unplugged it during a critical moment, as now 260GB of data was now corrupt. This has been a hellacious process in recovering this data since then. The entire partition was now unusable. Don’t do what I did. Do the initial setup and pairing before plugging in any USB data device you value.

Yes, his GUSSET ruined a hard drive. Brilliant.

There's also this great comment from someone else:

quote:

I've discovered that emulators suck with analog controllers, or I suck with analog controllers on emulators. I've chalked it up to analog controllers not having been used much in the old days.

That's fair, I mean analogue controls have only been used in games since the 1970s.

edit: In other news, it was announced today that Google has hired a LucasArts veteran as 'Chief Game Designer'. We already know they're working on some kind of Steam/XBL/PSN style functionality for Android, and if they also implement standard controller support it completely kills any chance of HERBERT succeeding. If I'm a developer do I go for the shoddy little console with >1% conversion rate, or aim at Google Play and its hundreds of millions of tablets and phones? HMMM.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 3, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl's graph is far more believable, yours looks too professional.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The fans* really need to stop comparing it to other Kickstarter projects. Because unlike HUMPERDINK those that are delayed have generally provided real numbers, actual evidence of development and manufacturing, and delivered a product in line with the original proposal.

* I say fans, but comparing a joke of a games console to a loving abortion is taking things to another level.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bloody hell. Just when you're thinking this can't get any more ridiculous...that AMA, the replies, then the latest chart claiming today is the 6th May.... She's loving lost it. And people are still defending it!

And a month away from launch they haven't started manufacturing?? I hope it does actually go on sale because the poo poo storm when it turns out to be buggy and broken will be glorious.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I went looking for why it was called OUYA:

"the Android language?"

BEEP BOOP HELLO I AM ANDROID I SPEAK ANDROID LANGUAGE BOOP

Maybe we've had it all wrong this whole time. The charts show everything but are written in Android.

Mr Android please translate the charts and tell us how many units have shipped.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Aweful, wasn't it you who hadn't received the dev unit? Have they said anything else about that?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

You mean I can play a mobile port of a decade-old console game which is available right now for pennies on PC, Xbox or PS2, and all I have to do is either purchase it from Google Play and rip the APK or download a pirate copy, then sideload it onto my GIRAFFE?

Sign me up.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

precision posted:

I would expect people who have received theirs would be eager to sign up and help "the Cause" by reporting that fact.

Their audience is filled exclusively with the kind of gaming nerds who will happily lob $99+ at a Kickstarter project. If it was shipping in the kind of numbers they claim the tracking site would look a lot healthier and the sub-Reddit much busier. IsOuyaShipping.com is close enough to reality. When Pebble started shipping Reddit was filled with comments from people who had received either a ship notification or the watch itself. The BUNGALOW section is a ghost town in comparison.

Here's the Pebble equivalent shipping track site: http://www.ispebbleshipping.com/

Notice the exact production numbers as opposed to vague percentages. Someone should have told them they could have just written "A LOT. A LOT." on the graph in MSPaint and been done with it.

If they started manufacturing HOTPOTATO in the last week of March and they're still going now at only 50% done today, it means they're only making about 4,200 units a week. Is that not ludicrously low for any reasonably sized factory?

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 6, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm really curious to see how much longer can Julie keep up this facade. Clearly shipping numbers are abysmal, and they've admitted to not even starting on the retail units yet. They now have less than 30 days to go until their supposed retail launch, in which time they need to manufacture enough of them to at least cover US stores, and get them shipped from China. Wonder what kind of mental graphs we'll get to explain how they missed the retail date. Even the HIDEOKOJIMA faithful won't be able to deny there's a problem if that happens.

Hav posted:

T-mobile is a loving awful company in the US, and nothing like it's European arm.

Don't worry, they've gone to poo poo in the UK too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I can't get over the preview period thing... I mean what the gently caress. Can someone with a Twitter account ask her if backers are going to get new parts to replace all the broken poo poo they discover during the - gently caress's sake - 'preview period'.

Oh hey thanks for the 8 mil guys. Btw that console we said you were getting? Yeah it's just a preview but if you could tell us all the things that are hosed up on it so we can fix it for retail that'd be great.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

send them to random addresses.

May not be far from the truth. Some dude on Reddit was complaining that his HONKYTONK with extra controller had been shipped, but the console had ended up in one city, the controller in another, and he wasn't in either of those places.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

It's worth remembering at this point that somehow XBP managed to buy himself a TV that you have to cut open the loving remote control to access some menus.

Hey, his remote has a motherfucking root button. It is indie as hell. Take that big...er, wait how many TV manufacturers are there?

Still can't believe she said it was going to have a root button, as though that's needed in any way. This is what happens when you let the technically-ignorant PR mouthpiece talk without someone watching her.

Having said that, if it was a big industrial looking thing that you punch and it sets off a siren I'd be all over that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, that idiotic quote is from Yves Behar. The man who designed the case is dumb enough to think Root Buttons are things.

Really? Given their rapid development it is kind of amazing that never made it into the final design. Just a useless button sat there not connected to anything.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So all the delays with shipping were because they'd run out of money, and they've just been scrambling around trying to secure more cash while fobbing off the Kickstarter backers with MSPaint charts.

Love to know what kind of bullshit they fed these investors. Can they really be breaking even on a $99 console? Even if it is just a mobile SoC stuffed in a box the controller must cost more than a few pennies.

Still can't see how they're going to hit a 4th June retail launch either. They haven't even fulfilled most of the Kickstarter units, and even if they start manufacturing now it doesn't leave much time to get everything shipped. And there are big question marks over how much testing has been done or how their support and network infrastructure would handle a sudden influx or tens or hundreds of thousands of users from all over the world.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ha. Is anyone surprised?

"which will allow us to create more units and, basically, have more units on store shelves in June."

By create more units she means create any units.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Also in there: "OUYA is now shipping exclusively to early backers as part of a preview program."

Dragging that lie out again.

She's really hammering this point home so that when the backers kick off about receiving a beta version while retail gets the fixed model, they can just say they were previews. Amazing.

Does someone want to break out a calculator and figure out how many games they need to sell with their 30% cut just to pay back that $15 million investment?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Where's that estimate of the cost of the console and controller from the original thread?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've known a few people involved in start-ups and they got the impression that many investors were happy to just to throw their money at anything which sounded like a good idea, particularly if it was something trendy like gaming or the internet. Some people just have so much cash that they can afford to chuck millions down a hole.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

JaysonAych posted:

"Exactly how much are larger are the wider button holes?"
"A little bit wider. A LITTLE BIT."

We've discussed the problem with our factory and they have changed the tooling setting from A LOT to MAXIMUM. Feet are literally on the ground here.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-is-f-f-funded/

"Ouya is f-f-funded"

Wasn't it "f-f-funded" when the Kickstarter f-f-finished?

They're f-f-hosed.

The bum-lickers are out in force, patting Uhrman on the back for the great news. They've basically 'fessed up to lying to everyone about the shipping and retail launch and said the backers are a "preview period" and yet most still aren't calling them out on it. She could leave a flaming bag full of poo poo on their doorsteps and they'd still hail it as a great move from a gaming visionary.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Careful now, I think that's the slide they used to get the VC funding. You should be careful posting sensitive internal material like that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Here's a new thing, KAJIGGER conspiracy theories (courtesy of Reddit, natch):

quote:

... Unless the funding is covertly coming from MS or Sony via a few other hands. They may be quietly taking a controlling interest in OUYA to keep it from cutting into their bottom lines.
With major console releases on tap before Xmas, that's what I would certainly do if I were them.

Someone call Alex Jones. Perhaps the MS and Sony execs are also interdimensional lizards?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

lhl posted:

PC's are way more expensive and less convenient to plug and play (not to mention to buy/play non-Steam games

I keep seeing this argument in support of the 100PROOF and it never makes sense. Who are these mythical people who do not own even the most basic PC yet do have $100+ to throw at an unproven console? Is there an untapped market of gaming hobos that the big three have been ignoring? How is plugging in a HDMI cable and connecting any number of compatible controllers "less convenient"? And if you don't wanna drag your PC into the living room all the time most of us nerds have enough parts lying around to cobble together another system.

Also, that blog post about the hardware being locked is loving hilarious. It sounds like it's scarily easy to brick this bad boy, which could lead to an uncomfortable situation for their support team when it goes to retail and people start killing it en masse trying to 'hack' their open source console. Ignoring all the other stupid poo poo about this thing, if you wanted to do an open Android console right you'd have a secure recovery method to ensure it could never be bricked.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 13, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

This is good, at least Destructoid picked up on the analog dead zone issue:

http://www.destructoid.com/ouya-dev-finds-a-problem-with-the-system-s-analog-sticks-253609.phtml

It's cool, this is totally deliberate, all part of the plan to shake up console gaming according to this bellend in the comments:

quote:

It's an 'open' platform. People are actively encouraged to fix and tweak and completely rewrite software-side stuff and users can use whatever bluetooth controller they'd like.

That's not to excuse any misgivings but rather to point-out that this isn't the typical walled-garden console by the very nature of it being 'open'.

Yeah this isn't your grandma's games console you loser. RMAs are for pussies, if NONSENSEWORDTHATIRRITATESSOMEPEOPLE breaks you bust out the soldering iron and fix that poo poo yourself!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mr. Beefhead posted:

As a media streamer/emulator machine/generic Android box, it's pretty great.

This does not bode well for Julie's plan to make 30% off app sales. They're probably not making money on the hardware, and they're certainly making nothing off sideloaded media player and emulator apps.

If only she'd actually consulted with someone who knew...anything. Anything about business, or Android, or consoles.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AngstyFerrets posted:

I'm adding that to the list of reasons to leave the UK.

This would be the Game that recently went bankrupt after years of mismanagement. You'd think they'd learn, but I'm not at all surprised to see that the company which saw no issues with having multiple stores in the same town, sometimes next door to each other, has bought into the UMBONGO dream.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The shipping numbers aren't looking any healthier. You'd expect an improvement with their recent cash injection, but isouyashipping.com is still only showing 115 received, and the sample size is now 4.5%. At this rate they're not going to have them all sent before the new retail date. Even including the nonsense pre shipping numbers along with the shipped it comes to only 688 units (or in Ouya chart-friendly terms, just 25% of the 4.5% sample).

And these are just the Kickstarter backers, there's still pre-orders to come.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Apparently they've left the Airplane Mode option in there, and if you enable it your controller gets disconnected and the only way to get it back is to plug in a mouse or keyboard or reboot the system.

Their failure to hide the standard Android system prompts and menus is one of the funniest and most tragic aspects of this debacle. The average user should never, ever see anything resembling default Android while using it. It's perhaps not a massive problem for the Kickstarter units because many of the backers will be familiar with Android, and they're so very forgiving of all its gently caress-ups anyway, but it's not going to fly if someone has bought one in a shop and is expecting it to behave like an Xbox or Playstation.

Also, I've found something which may be even more pointless than Ouya: http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/gadget-news/forget-ouya-how-about-a-1000-android-games-console

quote:

The current developer kit is a beast of a machine, packing in a 3.3GHz Intel Ivy Bridge processor coupled up with 8GB of RAM and custom Intel HD graphics that can take on anything that’s on Android. The developer kit is lot bigger and beefier in specs compared to what will be rolling off the production line, which will have a smaller footprint, but will still come with a 500GB hybrid hard drive, USB 3.0 ports and 3DTV-Ready Dual HDMI outputs capable of ultra HD 4K resolution too.

It's a reasonably well-specced PC...running Android. Really gonna make those mobile games fly. :psyduck:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

01011001 posted:

I wondered who would be silly enough to actually drop cash on this, and then I remembered which thread this is. Probably won't be as entertaining to watch, though.

Yeah, the analogue sticks probably function correctly and if NVIDIA produced a shipping chart you can bet it would look sweet.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

You didn't get a loan to fund this?

Please say that hasn't happened.

Dreamzle posted:

OUYA dev kit Kickstarter package (that was $700)... an ebayed Kickstarter OUYA so I could make the game work with the crappy Kickstarter controller as quickly as possible, etc.

Why did you buy another Ouya after wasting so much on the pointless dev kit?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Dreamzle posted:

Because reports were coming in that my game controlled badly on the controllers that shipped with actual Kickstarter OUYA's, while it controlled just fine on the dev kit controllers. And of course then it was discovered that those analogue sticks are truly flawed. I needed a shipping controller to see exactly how bad it was and to work around the problem as best I can. Which I did in the update I published today thanks to that eBayed OUYA.

Just when I think Ouya has reached the pinnacle of stupid, something else comes along and takes this fiasco to an entirely new level.

Were you even slightly annoyed to find that the dev kit had been a complete waste of time and money. Did you ask them about this?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hey I wonder what's happening with those Limited Edition units?

Oh.

Sorry everyone, but the CEO of this company isn't allowed to take pictures of the product they're paying to have manufactured. They had metal detectors and everything.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I find it difficult to believe she was even in China. Every other Kickstarter project I've seen where they sent people to the factory (BOOTS ON THE GROUND) they were Tweeting about it and updating their Kickstarter pages. But Julie goes to China and you don't hear a peep.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It is amusing that when confronted by someone asking a perfectly reasonable question her first instinct is to panic and come up with a completely implausible lie. Even if the factory didn't want them taking pictures (metal detector level: maximum) they must surely have had a test run of the hardware to ensure manufacturing is correct. You wouldn't just go ahead and start up a production line without making sure it was up to spec, right?

Or perhaps she really did go to China and really did visit the factory, but the factory knew they were dealing with a moron and just handed her a cardboard box when she asked to see the LE units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It's entirely possible that they are at a factory paranoid about losing a real customer due to letting some fly by night company take random pictures.

I've been in circumstances like that in fact! We had to go find someone to stage the photos so nothing sensitive was in the pictures.

But even in that situation wouldn't they still have had samples?

bumblingbee posted:

I think that she just had Chinese food and had to pick it up from the restaurant.

Ouya's revolutionary concept allows you to easily modify it by removing the cardboard lid, and its cutting edge foil lining ensures your NVIDIA ChowMein 3 GTX stays fresher for longer.

Iacen posted:

She was told that "Not advisable for a tourist to visit the canals at night."

:golfclap:

• Locked thread