Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

Huh...I never knew about that.

I find it especially odd that Banpresto didn't even care to reference it a bit in W, considering Astray's presence and Gaogaigar's major connection to Jupiter.

Jupiter already had THA POWAH and a society of warrior otakus; it is NOT a cool enough planet to get space whales on top of that. Or, in other words, Glenn was probably a bit too distracted to dig for dead aliens.

Besides, W dropping the entire Leonard plot from Full Metal Panic after going through the trouble of introducing him is probably a whole lot worse. Not worse than what actually happens with the series, mind you(small gothic girl with an antitank rifle out of nowhere!), but kind of awkward none-the-less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Daler Mehndi posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I...uh... :gonk:

So yeah, Z really doesn't waste any time making things interesting for Setsuko! Not that Rand is boring (far from it!), but the Real Robot style of storytelling brings a more a interesting atmosphere of moral ambiguity, even with the Seed characters still jerking each other off with how awesome they think they are.

The only problem with this LP thus far is how much it hurts knowing that we'll never see an English translation of any of this; knowing the third Z game is on its way out the door only makes things hurt all the more.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
"the planet below is hardly defended except for just a few powerful weapons."

I...don't even know what to say to this. Did they really just send a few robots to a random city, and then declare that the planet is helpless after those scouts got destroyed in a few minutes? Did they somehow miss the massive amount of debris that must still remain after the war, as well as more or less all of ZAFT? Or did they notice all of that and STILL decided that they were that much more powerful?

Seriously, that was some poo poo reconnaissance: "Political situation? Industrial capacity? Military capability? Psh, we don't need to know that boring crap; just blow up some random buildings in obviously civilian areas and send the footage back."

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 10, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Caphi posted:

Look, they wouldn't be very good alien invaders if they could be scared away by mobile suits.

...because their definition of "a weapon that doesn't suck" is "super robot," and the planet hasn't deployed or in some cases even discovered a single one of its super robots yet.

Really? That's even better:

"Sir, it looks like they've got thousands of small, powerful units and a fair number of larger, more powerful ships! What do we do?"

"..do any of them combine?"

"I...don't think so?"

"Psh, no way THAT'S a threat. Continue the invasion!"

They'll be in for a shock if they see the Freedom and Justice docking with the METEOR units, though...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

GilliamYaeger posted:

...and quite frankly ZAFT would happily sit back and munch popcorn as they watched aliens invade Earth.

The old ZAFT would have (and apparently did); the new ZAFT is quite a bit more devious/cunning. Of course, the Feds are still dumb enough to try and fight both ZAFT and world-killing aliens; unless, of course, Z actually makes the Federation somehow more sane, which would honestly be far more impressive than making a few SEED characters more tolerable.

As for Neutron Jammers...they don't make much sense in the show, and their usefulness is a complete mystery in a world filled with multiple magical energy sources. Why don't we just blame negative proton energy and desperately hope people have no scientific literacy?

Although, to be fair, if SEED is more than a guilty pleasure to anyone, I doubt their literate in anything important at all...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Hellioning posted:

Again with the attempted recruitment by violence...

Using impressment as a means to crew giant robots is hilariously dumb, but it always works out, so it's a bit hard to question its effectiveness; same goes when they call someone out for acting well within reason:

"I don't want to fight for people who take my family hostage!"

"Shut up and do it!"

"Ok. I'm sorry."

I'm amazed how few of these worlds end up being burned to a crisp with such...enthusiastic means of persuasion.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I have to be honest: Aquarion's crazy incest party was just a bit too much for the show to be worth watching. I mean, the brother and sister are in love because they're actually their own great grandparents? So she is his sister AND his great grandmother? And the other part of the love triangle is her grandfather/cousin? Unless, of course, the two great-grandfathers also loved each other, in which case-

Yeah, no. Not doing it, crazy robot antics be damned.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Out of curiosity, is Kei really so stupid that he thought he could outrun a bomb named more or less, "erase all existence"? Or is there even a remotely good explanation for why flipping that switch could seem even remotely a good idea?

Did he figure that losing the elevator for a few minutes before the colony drop made the whole battle pointless was just too big a risk? A self-destruct nuke is one thing; a black hole bomb is entirely another.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

What makes you think he even knew what a "Time-Space Oscellation Bomb" even did? It's not like its as standard weapon in the soldiers kit.

And remember, the bomb helped, but it wouldn't have done what it did if not for... several factors. In regular Orguss this was nowhere near as bad.

See, that's the thing: even if you only break down the words, it obviously means, "something that makes reality as we know it break". It's true, of course, that Macross breaks physics like clay pigeons at an NRA festival, but to stop a few squads of daggers from taking a single space elevator? Seriously? You blow space time for THAT?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Caphi posted:

Kei's squad had orders to use the bomb to render the elevator inoperable if necessary to keep it from the Pacifics. It wasn't exactly his decision other than to judge that they were completely overwhelmed, which they were.

I don't want to go too far arguing the point, but I've never watched Orguss, so I just want to know this: is Kei supposed to be an extremely dedicated soldier for being willing to sacrifice himself using a WMD like that, or is there actually a really good reason to blow the elevator (that he would actually know about, as opposed to a spoiler)? Alternatively, is he just rage-crazy like Shinn? I don't really remember Macross outside of parts of the first series and Frontier, so I'd like to know (assuming Kei's plot is going to matter at all.)

Except the Minmay Defence. I DEFINITELY remember that...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Son Ryo posted:

That's the second time you've brought up Macross... you know aside from similar design the two shows have nothing to do with each other plot-wise, right? Orguss is its own beast.

Thank you, I actually didn't. the whole "Super Dimension" naming scheme confuses me to no end; all the more so since it was technically Robotech I was watching, not Macross.

In my defense though, a jet with legs that shoots missiles should be a lot more distinct than it apparently is.

Onmi posted:

Consider in this game that the EA replaces the typical Orguss enemies and remember that the EA is batshit genocidal maniacs. Would you want them to have the Space Elevator?

Well, the terrorists are almost certainly Blue Cosmos, so under ordinary circumstances I'd blow it up. But during a colony drop? I don't know: I kind of assume the people of the SEED universe don't generally think of Blue Cosmos as comically evil. That being the case, I'd figure that Blue Cosmos would want to use the bomb to stop the colony drop by sending it up the space elevator or something (assuming that is actually possible), if only because its hard to have a pure blue earth when a quarter of it is covered in dust.

That said, if Earth's people had half a brain, then no one would let Blue Cosmos OR the Earth Alliance do anything ever, since neither entity has proven even remotely functional.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 8, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Its nice to know that a fondness of racism and murder can unite such a diverse populace in such stressful circumstances. I bet Blue Cosmos is especially happy: now they have actual aliens polluting humanity's gene pool! That's way easier to discriminate against then somebody you have to do a blood test on to tell whether or not you should hate them.

I bet the Titans are similarly stoked:

"We gassed a colony because protesters."
"We nuked a colony because it was close."
"How close was it?"
"Close enough to get nuked."

:hfive:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Welcome aboard the ship full of jerks Renton.

Whether or not people can get past this practically answers whether or not you'll like the show. The Gekkostate crew have already been talked about at lengths elsewhere, but I swear that my own whole motivation for watching the show was to see how Renton grows up in a world where almost everyone abuses him; the answer to that question is easily the highpoint of the series, but thankfully everything after that is still paced well enough to be...watchable?

The sad part is that I don't even remember the crew of the Gekkostate actually doing anything useful at any point in the series. I DO remember thinking that its the only show I've watched where the antagonists are more interesting and tragic than the 'protagonists'...except Dewey Novak.

I really, really hope this game fixes Dewey.

...and the Gekkostate crew, I guess.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

quote:

: That Mobile Suit…it’s…!
: A Gundam?!

You boys are lucky your both protagonists: there is no quicker way to the grave then saying "It's a Gundam" just as it arrives upon the field of battle. It's more dangerous than saying Bloody Mary at a mirror shop...assuming Mary hasn't upgraded to beam weaponry yet, of course.

Which she probably has.

Because :japan:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Got to say, I feel real bad for the moon race: they started as big fish playing the part of glorious crusaders on the verge of finding a new homeland, and instead they've ended up in a shark tank where you have to anticipate the moves of multiple major world powers months in advance (or be able to overcome said moves by punching the moon) just to have a hope in hell of keeping what you already have.

And the moon race is instead being completely played by an idiot. It really does show just how screwed they are.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

Well, in their case, being able to anticipate the Federation's moves wouldn't do any good because of the humongous gap between the two groups.

Speaking of which, it's actually kind of impressive that no one in the moon race has formed a "surrender to the feds" faction: when your leadership is basically divided between trying to steal resources to survive (and failing) or begging for resources to survive (also failing?), becoming a federation red-shirt is actually a fairly decent step up; especially with all the aliens driving a serious need for more warm bodies inside mobile suits.

At least they wouldn't be going hungry while getting shot at, which is 50% better than what they have now. That shows their either really dedicated to their independence, or really bad at basic planning; 'do we need food to eat' levels of bad planning. Or that none of the Feds want them either, which would REALLY suck.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Well, that's one way to resolve a whole bunch of romantic tension; kid sure as hell knows how to raise the bar for everyone else though.

Except for Shinn. His sister is dead, you know.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Free Agents That Maintain All Nations: FATMAN.

If we don't appease him, he's likely to continue destroying the dreams of children everywhere by joining their games. Not...not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Please don't crush me...

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 12, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Broken Loose posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't anybody suggested "Beater Services" yet?

Clearly, everyone has a secret crush on Setsuko; that said, isn't there usually a fairly small character limit that would make a name as long as Beater Services impossible? Glory Star might work though!

Actually, using "Beater Services" and "Glory Star" isn't that bad of an idea itself; at least it would differentiate the two runs.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Was Asakim just waiting on the UN for Toby to show up on a message board all day, every day? Should we add Sloth to his list of sins, on top of murder and a poor sense of fashion? Or maybe he has his own blog of sphere-holder creepypasta with really bad music that automatically plays on a loop when you load the site, and he just kind of put up a banner saying "come outside Toby, I want to play with you..-STAB LOL".

Seriously though, what kind of lame villain calls out the hero by email? That's not even trying.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It's kind of hard to like Rand if he can't even notice how much hatred all of Asakim's enemies have for him and anyone associated with him; that level of hate is quite a bit different from the usual "I'm a soldier, its my job" attitude he usually faces off against. Hell, he could have at least noticed the horribly injured girl everyone was obviously protecting.

Shame on you, Rand.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Montegoraon posted:

So the beam isn't the destructive part. This is fanon, but it's presumed to be some kind of containment field. Because positrons have a positive charge, they want to fly away from each other. The field keeps them in a coherent beam, while also preventing them from interacting with an atmosphere until they hit something solid. That's also why the cannon has to be large enough to build a mobile suit-sized house in its barrel, so it can project the field over a long distance. That's not a weapon you want going off right next to you.

Bah, that is way too sensible for Gundam: the Federation probably just made it because their goal is to make the most pointlessly expensive weapons possible. In other words, the cannon is probably just huge so that the Federation could assemble pieces for it in every major country, courtesy of a military-industrial complex that spans the entire planet. In fact, all you apparently need to do to get funding in the Seed verse is to talk about how much you hate genetically modified people.

Also, if I remember right, it technically doesn't use antimatter, but some equivalent of antimatter that works in a slightly different way. If I'm right, the Seed people should be slapped for all the nonsensical weapons they keep making.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 20, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

..it's not our fault you government puppies got stuck with the weaker units! :smugdog:

The UN JUST said that the Federation and Gekko State are working together! We all know that random strangers on a government controlled internet are way more reliable than what we've actually seen with our own eyes; don't taint the people's minds with your easily proven fact lies.

Also, Eiji JUST said that this was his last battle: why is everyone surprised that he left? What the heck did they think he would do, complain constantly about having to fight while continuing to maul everything he meets? That only applies to Gundam pilots and Super pilots desperately pretending to be Gundam pilots in the hopes that someone will like them (or pity them; Gundam knockoffs aren't really picky about the kind of attention they get).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Wait, what? :aaa:

"Ok, we need Kei's help to guarantee our survival, but he's a bit reluctant, so we're going to go auction off his friends to whoever wants them, including the people actively trying to kill us.

The worst case is that we'll have to mind wipe him, despite our near total lack of knowledge about how the singularities actually work, and maybe human biology in general. Good thing no other major power knows about Kei and his relationship with our new slaves; otherwise, that power might attempt a rescue operation with their militarily superior forces, whose success would practically guarantee that all the major singularities are hostile to us, thus completely undermining everything we've worked for and ensuring the annihilation of our entire race! Any non-romantic objections?"

"Nope! Lets do it!" :bravo:

Seriously, what's stopping ZAFT from buying everyone with dummy corporations to get the team back together and have them both annihilate the Emaanians? ZAFT could not only get their money back, but also gain the support of the world's strongest heroes (however begrudging), AND gain the support of at least one singularity, possibly/probably along with more as well. To make things worse, Durandal is a world famous scientist; once he got their notes, their memory alterations could probably be undone in an anime-snap.

They managed to not only intercept the idiot ball, but they loving ran it to the touchdown in an own goal. Am I missing something here? Is there ANY reason this should be considered a good plan? Their gambling their entire species here!

They are seriously lucky Asakim is saving their butts by screwing up their dumb plan! Nice guy indeed...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

(playing the honor system is a dangerous game in a world with SEED governments and the Titans).

Also, if you think Holland would join up with Zaft out of gratitude, you might be misreading him a bit.
I'm pretty sure his answer to Durandal would be: "gently caress you! I never asked for your help, army!". The Gekkostate would probably take off on their own again if that happened.

Holland wouldn't have a choice; even the Emaanian's can't be dumb enough to sell their mecha/ships along with the people (although the chances of them being able to use any but the worst machines is almost nothing). He would have to agree to at least *some* conditions just to get his machines back in the first place.

But now that I think about it, Fudo (Fudou?) wouldn't let the Aquarion be touched by anyone, and the Emaanians would (will?) probably be attacked by all the enemy Xeno's chasing this group before the Emaanians can so much as take the first bid, so neither the Federation or Durandal would get a chance at the group.

As for the honor system thing, you're probably right...and that's really, really sad. The Emaanians are kind of like Pandas: a danger to everyone trying to help them, but too dumb to live alongside the Federation in any of its forms. I'd feel bad for them if they weren't incompetent slave traders.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

That's a good question...what the hell was Fudou doing that we had to wait for Ziene to rescue us? He could've done that in one second!

"Alright everyone, dinner is...WHOA! Who the hell are you?!?"

"Hmph. The chick should not ask who has wings, but whether his own wings will allow him to fly."

..what?

If it wants to truly fly, the chick must first prove he can use his legs to reach the nest's ledge!

..what?

Kazuma, why are you yell...

..are you both just going to stare at each other all day?

..the chick cannot understand a contest between two full grown birds. Do not even try to understand the world of birds until you first understand yourself.

It's alright Kazuma, just serve him too.

..but we don't have enough money for food as it is!

Money is a small compensation for the chance to grow your own wings!

..you're broke too aren't you?

..maybe.

...pull up a chair.

Big brother, why are you...WAHH!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This is pretty hilarious in hindsight. :v:

In my defense, I'd like to think that ZAFT's actions here are more damage-control oriented than their original plan: once Team Crusher managed to escape with their machines, there really wasn't any plausible way for ZAFT to get the whole team back together again. :colbert:

Oh, who am I kidding. This is SEED; of course things were going to go full-on "Let's declare war on the moon punching robot!" retarded at some point. :dawkins101:

Edit: You really have to remember that ZAFT is basically made up entirely of glass space colonies to fully appreciate how dumb this idea really is. Maybe ZAFT didn't want to feel left out during the "Let's find a way to annihilate ourselves!" race?

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 14, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Hilariously enough, their plan to use a second, presumably more developed bomb isn't actually all that bad. I mean, let's look at their choices here:

1. Certain death.

2. Let the hostile major and minor (Kei and Rand) singularities butt heads with your only one (Olson) and hope Olson wins.

3. Detonate the second bomb and hope for the best.

If Olson turns out to be a bit reluctant about killing Kei, he has no real hope of beating him in a pure battle of wills; especially with Rand in the mix. Olson, however, wouldn't want to risk doing something as dangerous as killing the Terran's best hope at survival without a serious back-up plan; thus, telling him that they plan on using the bomb regardless is the best way both to get Olson to focus and to figure out if he really has what it takes to save their whole race. If Olson fails, then taking the slim chance at survival with the bomb is better than the no chance they think they face with Kei.

On top of all that, killing Kei is a good experiment; I seriously doubt they've killed any singularities yet, so doing so may teach them something new, or maybe even fix the problem!

Also, I don't have Photoshop, so I did this in Paint. I've forgotten why.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Thanks Brunom! By the way, some Orguss fun facts I learned looking for Slay on Google Images for all you lurkers out there:

1. The Robot maid Mome is actually *really* tiny: she looks six. How the hell does she do chores?

2. Sley is...blonde? Everyone has a tail?!?

3. Even without search filters, no porn (just searching the name of the series, of course); not counting Mimsy fully clothed on a tree branch, of course. I guess it isn't that popular of a series? I certainly couldn't find a picture of Sley all by his lonesome.

4. Captain's name is Taii, which means captain, so...his name is Captain. Shocking. Poor guy isn't in the group photo though; I guess he's considered a spoiler and Mome isn't? :shrug:

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 17, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

And those "tails" are feelers that all Emaanians have (it's mentioned at the end of mission 10 and Kei freaks out when he notices).

Ah, right. Forgot about that; not surprising, since we don't actually see them. I bet not having a tail that wags due to naughty thoughts must give Kei a serious edge in romantic warfare. It must, since the whole "I leave her in your hands" bit is *really* awkward if you stop to think about it, since it kind of implies that Kei wasn't going to give Mimsy a choice in the matter...

: ...So, I leave her in your hands.

: But I don't love him!

: You don't get a choice! Yay slavery!

: ..is it too late to go back to ZAFT?

Psychos and psychics only, Lady.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

... No it wasn't. I think you just turned what was Kei basically saying "I wont be going after Mimsy anymore" into... well... that. Because Kei and Mimsy aren't dating yet.

Sure, he says he's backing off; He also says he is leaving her "in his (Sley's) hands", and that they make a good couple. He's not saying this to the crew as a whole, in case he dies or something; he's talking to Sley directly, without any qualifiers, and letting everyone else listen in.

Of course, maybe he doesn't have any idea that Mimsy has no romantic interest in Sley. Maybe he completely misread the situation into thinking that she loved them both equally, and so he believes nothing needs to be said to her. That seems a bit odd for an experienced ladies man, but it is possible, if not probable.

But that doesn't change the fact that he's only talking to Sley instead of Mimsy, and that he's doing this publicly instead of in private. She's a person, and he's talking like he's giving away his beloved pet.

To put it another way, imagine that the person you have a crush on went to one of your friends, faced that person with their back to you and said, right in front of your family and your other friends, "Take care of Onmi for me, I won't get involved anymore." Surely, you would be upset at being rejected in public? Surely you wouldn't like the implication that you aren't capable of choosing the person you love?

By all means, if something in the past makes what Kei just did seem valid, point it out; but as things stand, he just did something to Mimsy that no one would want to be done to them, especially in public like this.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

...And this is all dumb anyway because this is such an overused common dialog in hundreds of anime, manga, games, movies etc. "I leave X in your hands." where X is a child, lover, fancy fast food resteraunt, dream, memory, giant robot etc.

You are looking, way, WAY too hard into this to find a problem.

Alright, fair enough. It IS cliche enough to be cheap heroism, so I'm being too hard on Kei for doing something that was considered cool and dramatic for a fairly long time.

Yet, from Sley's "functionality of a woman" rant at the beginning, I was expecting something more along the lines of Sley learning the lesson that "woman do more than make babies", rather than the "Sley learns about being manly before his heroic sacrifice" we ultimately ended up with here. It may be a result of cultural differences, but it is still kind of sad to see that this is where the writers ultimately decided to go with his character; especially since this entire sequence could have made Kei grow up a bit as well with some self-reflection on his own.

But that doesn't necessarily make either Sley or Kei bad people outright, so I apologize for that.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The sad thing is, I kind of see what they were going for with Kira: someone who feels so much guilt over killing people that he eventually flips out and just flats refuse to kill anyone. In the original SEED, that didn't work because the writers had to give him god-mode to win instead of making him fight smart, even with the help of a much better mech.

But in Destiny, he's using a more and more outdated mech that can't oneshot everything; he really should be struggling just to survive against higher grade mooks, making him rely increasingly more on his experience and tactics just to do as little as actually survive the battle. We should be seeing signs that Kira is increasingly breaking down by trying to do the impossible; his Mercy addiction should be treated as a terrible trauma, not a strength.

To put it another way, when he or the archangel gets whacked here, they should really at least shoot out an EMP or pull some other trick to buy themselves a turn to repair the damage and continue the fight. This instant-repair bull just makes them all look like 12 year olds with godmode on Counter Strike playing against the enemy team.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

GimmickMan posted:

I just really like that Enil basically asks Kira if he thinks he is Jesus. :allears:

I think it's funnier that Japan apparently heard about Kira being Jesus and actually put that into the game; Kira is so poorly written that he actually became world famous.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

GimmickMan posted:

SRW Z does a much better job of fleshing out the extended than Destiny ever did. Which pretty much goes for everything in Destiny and this game, really.

I have to second this; all I can remember about the extended from the show is that they oscillated between cocky and crazy. Here, they feel much closer to real soldiers who were dealt an incredibly lovely hand by life, which also makes the Federation look even worse for what its doing to its soldiers purely in the name of ideology.

Of course, Zaft isn't much better, since it's also really close to outright breeding soldiers, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. I'm guessing Zaft will change that policy sooner or later though...and that's going to be awkward for the heroes, who have been fighting the Federation's attempt at such a policy.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

To understand Holland you have to realize he's a lot like Renton, but much older and more angry.

Upon reflection, it's probably more that Holland *thinks* Renton is like him, (someone trying to save the world, and thus prove himself in the process) which brings up Holland's fear that he may not be the one destined to save the world after all; so now Holland is trying to keep everything he knows about Eureka to himself, so no one else has a chance to save her and be the hero. That way, even if Renton has destiny on his side, Holland at least has more knowledge and experience.

Of course, Holland has read Renton wrong (for the most part), and that is probably going to bite him in the rear end.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

Interesting note between the routes, Ziene is more open to flirting with the Rebel ZEUTH, and on the whole her dialogue is more playful. She's rarely sexual with the Militant ZEUTH and pretty much just sees them as tools to making Setsuko fall deeper into despair.

I can't help but note that, on top of this, the Chimera squad seems closer to the ZAFT boys than Rand's group: Lowen looks at Rand like he just shot a baby when he's flirting with Edel, and Schlan seems to talk a bit more with ZAFT, although he's still not much of a presence; even Prof. Theeh actually gets to do stuff with Setsuko's mech! Not that it matters: Edel will stab them in the back, since we now know that she meets with both groups and pretends to be concerned about the other half...and they both just so happen to get angry at each-other because of the UN she installed. Kinda ruins the reveal that would surprise no one.

Speaking of which, what is Theeh's game? The Chimera squad (Lowen and Schlan) are obvious, but there's no way he's loyal to them. I'm guessing a spy for someone we haven't met, or Asakim, which would explain why he knows so much about all the major parties involved. Either way, you just know he'll be gloating over Edel as ZEUTH blows her up; assuming, of course, he doesn't kill her himself right as ZEUTH is about to.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Whelp, while we're on the subject, Setsuko losing her sense of taste is just plain dumb: tragedy (her power in a nut-shell) very much requires pathos for it to work, and that fails if a character is suffering the good ol' Trauma Conga Line. See, the audience HAS to believe that there is a chance things will work out in the end: people NEED that ray of hope that might keep the characters from breaking, because they to have a very real reason to believe that the protaginists will succeed and that things will work out (relatively) ok for them in the end. When bad things happen nonstop? It doesn't work: the audience will fall into a state of nihilism, and they'll feel that the characters are stupid for not doing the same.

To give an example: losing Setsuko's sense of taste *just* after gaining her power that doesn't actually *help* her do anything is just plain dumb. Instead, she really should have been made to sacrifice a sense in order to save some of her comrades: effectively exchanging a 'self-centered' happiness to preserve an altruistic one, which would also set up the others as desperate to stop her from having to perform such a sacrifice again, leading to the kind of heroics someone actually expects in the mecha genre.

Compared to Rand, who's actually working to earn his and other's happiness, Setsuko has a lot less agency in her actions, which is slowly edging her into Evangelion territory. Small wonder people prefer the Rand route...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

Eh, there really isn''t much going on there. Just a bunch of generic stuff.

Getting hit:

Mucha: Hee, hee! That attack won't take us out!
Boss: Yo, Mucha! Don'tcha go stealing my lines!

Attacking:

Boss: Bah! Screwing around with me, are you? Here I go!

URYAURYAAAAAAA! :black101:

That's some bloody Shakespeare, that is.

And I went from :stonk: to :stonklol: throughout this update. I love me some crazy-but-entertaining villains, but this isn't even an interesting way to kill people; it's just down right awful: no irony, no chance at surviving, just...bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget the Holocaust symbolism.

Don't forget? I didn't even notice! I thought it was supposed to be an upside-down pentagram, to show that Butcher is literally Satan, but the Star of David makes way more sense given that the writer is Japanese.

Either way, this whole...thing is pretty drat close to plain bad-taste.

• Locked thread