Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BlitzBlast posted:

Did someone say tasteful?

Not going to lie, Lucina literally turning into a waifu and sniping the enemy to death is probably the single-most Awakening thing they could have done.

What the hell is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As long as Ashly Burch isn't in, I'm good enough with the voice acting.

If you don't like Cassie Cage then you're just wrong.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

It is a shame Male Corrin is mechanically inferior to Female Corrin again, like in Awakening. Except worse because they lock content behind it instead of just a really good skill.

My desire to always have all the kids and not marry a kid means its pretty much Female Corrin if I want any variety

:( I liked being able to change it up in Awakening.

Wait, but Male Robin was vastly superior to Female Robin.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Please explain yourself because this just seems wrong.

From the Awakening thread:

Zoran posted:

Since I'm already talking about this, I might as well explain why I prefer male Robin and female Morgan. It's true that female Robin gives you one extra Galeforce unit. However, she's never going to be special. Sure, she has all the classes, but class access only matters if you're going to finish in a given class or you need a skill from it. Like all female leads, Female Robin almost always wants to run LB/GF/Proc/Proc/Faire. The thing is there's a bevy of second-gen girls who can do that much better than she can: Sumia!Lucina, Chrom!Cynthia, Virion!Severa, Lon'qu!Severa, and Gaius!Kjelle or Gaius!Noire have clearly better stats and also have all the skills and finishing classes they could want.

What you get from female Robin is a mediocre female lead and the possibility of a super-powered son. The extra action per turn largely goes to waste because Apotheosis doesn't have high enemy density—on a full team, you probably won't even use all your available attacks every turn. Morgan can be a fast Galeboy, but the mechanics behind dual strikes mean that he only wants to take the lead once per turn.

For male Robin, on the other hand, having all the classes really matters. He doesn't personally care about speed because he's always in the back, so you can give him +4 Str/+2 Skl or +4 Mag without sacrificing the ability to double anyone. (+Spd can still be a good option for Morgan's sake, though!). He can pick any supporting class as needed, and—uniquely among males—he can have ALL of the accuracy skills along with high Strength. And if you go magical and marry Lucina, he can lead despite not having Galeforce because he comes with V/V built in.

Unlike her male counterpart, female Morgan has unique options beyond just making more math happen. It's possible for her to get Aether (in which case she makes more math happen than her brother anyway). Galeforce+Tomefaire Valkyrie is basically her personal class; the only other one is Henry!Cynthia, who doesn't have the +5 speed needed to really take advantage of it. And as the only lead unit who can have more than +6 speed and marry a Berserker, she can be a better physical lead than anyone else.

Male and female Morgan end up being roughly equal in terms of potential, but male Robin is special in a way that female Robin isn't.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Seagull posted:

the fact that you are using this post to prove your point makes you the male robin

That I'm much better at the game than everyone else?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Seagull posted:

you're thinking of virion

I'm confused, isn't he the completely useless archer who does precisely nothing for the entire game apart from get with Cordelia because she's so good even he can't screw Severa up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Virion marries Cherche cmon man keep up

Vaike marries Cherche so Gerome can hit people with the +5 str Brave Axe of doom.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

all the min/maxers are insanely boring, annoying people and i wish they'd stop posting because they derail every single conversation about writing or character personalities or design into galeforce bullshit that nobody without brain damage could possibly give a poo poo about

This is because a character's personality is intrinsically tied with how much they can murder my enemies. I married Tharja because she was the best murder machine the army presented.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Looper posted:

like that guy who posted about being better at awakening than the dating sim fans, uh, good job? you sure figured out how to grind some arbitrary numbers higher than some other ones!

I figured out how to beat Apotheosis without grinding arbitrary numbers more than I had to.

That means I saw all the game and put less effort in to do it.

Then I iron manned the game and watched character after character die with no ability to get them back.

Then I let the Awakening thread vote on who they wanted to marry off with each other.

Man I love Awakening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm still voting Severa/Kjelle.

As you goddamn should.

The contrast here is actually interesting though. Some people ascribe value to characters purely based on the dialogue they see out of them and view that as their personality.

I only see that as an aspect of their personality and the way they play in the game contributes to my impression of who they are as characters. I dislike Virion because whilst his archest archer persona is endearing it runs in contrast to his usefulness in the game itself.

Equally though I can't stand Yarne because despite how useful he is as a Berserker support his actual personality is really really abrasive.

I noted similar things when I played FF6 as a kid, I was far more attached to Locke, Terra and Celes than Sabin because I used the former three constantly even though I feel like Sabin's personality is probably more endearing looking purely at the text of the game.

I think this is what makes the medium itself different to others insofar as gameplay effects often change people's opinion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

theshim posted:

That's, uh

quite the new avatar there

Don't bet on wrestling.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Davincie posted:

bowguns are scary

I mean it's a gun that literally fire a bow at people. If arrows are strong against flyers, imagine how strong an entire bow would be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember my ironman Awakening run. Losing people was goddamn sickening. Severa comes back in time to find that both her parents are dead/maimed. I lost Gaius because he killed himself on me and lost Lissa because I forgot that you can move the lower pieces on the Validar map on the first turn.

Nothing better than winning in the end though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Is it best to wait to 20 for Master Seals? Is there any penalty to using a Second Seal style thing to switch classes like Awakening?

Edit: Also is sniper going to be as crazy as it seems?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 22, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Can I just say, gently caress whatever idiot designer decided that there shouldn't be a save between the final chapters of Conquest.

I played through the entire game on bloody lunatic classic and never finished it because I just can't generate the enthusiasm for a 15 minute wait time between final chapter attempts.

I might have been willing to forgive Fates for basically being Awakening without any soul, but this leaves such a goddamn bitter taste in my mouth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Looper posted:

What do you mean?

I feel like this is complicated to explain, given that claiming something feels soulless is a subjective opinion based on a feeling I had while playing the game.

But basically, at it's core Awakening is the story of Chrom and Robin and how their friendship allows them to cover up each other's flaws and raise them above the obstacles put in front of them. The important part is that they have defined strengths and flaws to them, Chrom is inspirational but lacks caution and has doubts about whether he can live up to his sister, Robin is intellectually gifted, but doesn't inspire people in the same way as Chrom as well as having insecurities about his past due to his lack of memory.

Since the entire game is focused on this relationship, since Chrom is a required deployment and Robin often is as well, by the end of it you really do just buy into the idea that these two people are great friends. The strength of that relationship gives the other parts of the story a grounding to work from.

It means even the weakest part of the plot, Valm still has a purpose which is to illustrate that the path of Conquest isn't as strong as the path of inspiration because it can directly reference itself to Robin and Chrom's friendship. It also means that characters who would often otherwise seem flat at least seem more fleshed since often they'll have supports with two separate main characters.

Compare to Corrin who just seems to be an utter moron and Azura who has nothing going for her beyond "has a bunch of secrets, dances." Fates has no real theme to it beyond Conquest being about completely illogical "sacrifices," since Corrin is always perfect and good and can never learn any important lessons.

In the end, Fates has no soul because there's no core character development and so no other characters can ground themselves around that. The result is you have a cast of fifty or so people who all just seem like lifeless charicatures.

Endorph posted:

hosed up opinion, but while conquest's maps are well-designed on an individual basis with few exceptions, i really got tired of how claustrophobic and chokepoint heavy they were by the end. It could have really, really benefited from some maps like cog of destiny, heart of crimea, sword of seals, etc.

I think this is actually a really big factor behind why I ended up turning on Conquest so badly. I was just exhausted by the end and just wanted a map where I could let loose with my units but it never came. When every single fight ended up being, hold at a chokepoint, strike forward when enough units have suicided on your best dudes, I didn't see all that much difference between Fates and endgame awakening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think there's a lot of truth in that comment. My own experience of Lunatic Conquest lategame was having to iterate a map's opening until I had a set of moves I would always follow to success for about 6 or 7 turns and then sortof winging it.

It doesn't help that quite a few maps would just gently caress you with invisible Dragon Veins, so you'd make good progress and then have to throw everything out the window. That or reinforcements that were triggered without warning and would just ratfuck your entire team.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I do think the games would be better with more limited S pairings. Not just from a writing standpoint but from a gameplay one. With the way inheritance worked in Fates I literally had to write massive spreadsheets to gain even the most basic understand of what kids would look like with certain pairings. Awakening was just about manageable but when you have class conditionals as well as stat conditionals trying to understand the system gets crazy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

uh, lol

is it really that hard to just look at the kid's base growths, look at the mother's growths, then imagine the mother slightly pushing or pulling the kid in different directions

it's not like there's anything in the game that requires perfect minmaxing

Lunatic Classic conquest no grinding no royals plus whatever other rules I'd add on as I got more and more bored. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have put so many restrictions on myself.

Also from a perception perspective, most growth rates will hover between around 40 and 60% or so. The issue I find is that I perceive those to be similar enough to be indifferent most of the time, whereas in FE they matter a lot.

Also, I like spreadsheets.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could have just used the inheritance planner instead you know

I never found one that showed me everything that I wanted. At best there were sheets that showed endgame stats and abilities but I couldn't find anything that showed all of those and growths.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AlphaKretin posted:

I guess it's a bit late now but everyone was using this: https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com

Well gently caress.

This is what I get for being European and avoiding the thread for the entire American release window.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hunt11 posted:

Going to try and focus on magic with a female corrin for a change of pace. Any recommendations for a good secondary class and bane to take. Also this is for conquest.

+Mag -Str was completely monstrous when I did Conquest. Early in you just run around as a dragon murdering things and then when you get Tome/Levin Sword access you start using those. (Full disclosure I didn't beat the final chapter on Lunatic classic). I'd tentatively recommend archer so you get shurikenbreaker access and basically murder everything in the game no equipped with a spear. Notably, levels 14 and 15 where you make the switch and then switch back will be nasty.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Conquest end isn't very hard. Just embrace ULTRA-VIOLENCE and you'll be fine.

Counterpoint, conquest's final stage on lunatic is a one of the biggest kicks in the dick I've ever seen.

Enjoy spending 10 minutes to get to it every single time and then not being able to food buff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

I finally finished Conquest.

After all of the gimmick maps the endgame is almost disappointingly fast and simple, but that's probably because I was just playing on Hard, I've heard it's a nightmare on Lunatic. Also regarding the pre-endgame cutscene, I'm all for Persona-style montage of your allies bringing you back from the dead but "oops I didn't expect the giant shadowy arrow to kill me" is a very... piss-poor way of leading it in. I also think the story is a waste of potential in general but I'm sure it's been said a lot already.

Kinda considering playing Lunatic (since I've never played Lunatic in any FE game before) but I've heard it's tedious and frustrating.

Do not under any circumstances play Conquest on Lunatic.

gently caress that game. I loved Awakening an unreasonable amount, played through the game three or four times with lots of different handicaps in addition to the difficulties. Conquest on Lunatic is just pain. I started to realise I wasn't having fun with it when I stopped playing it on my Tube into work and then when I stopped playing on weekdays, reserving full days on Saturday to deal with chapters.

It's when I hit the final chapter and realised I was charting out a spreadsheet to track every character movement I needed to make from turn to turn to be able to beat it that I realised I wasn't even playing a strategy game any more. There was no strategy, I was just memorising the moves needed to beat the scenario.

You can't even take a break and play DLC chapters because they scale and are all ball cripplingly hard as a result. You can't level up underlevelled units because the EXP grinding DLC has enemies that just try to kill them.

I know I'll get someone laughing about how lunatic is meant to be a mode for crazy people and I should have expected what was coming, but I feel like a concession that Conquest lunatic doesn't make at all is that you need at least some downtime somewhere in a game. I was begging for a single map where my units felt powerful in any meaningful way but it just never came. At that point the game just feels oppressive more than anything else.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

so wait, you beat awakening on lunatic+ and think conquest lunatic is a poorly made difficulty?

No, nobody beat awakening lunatic+. I never even attempted it because resetting until you get good RNG is stupid.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Theta Zero posted:

I've beaten Awakening Lunatic+ and that is how I did it.

I'm sorry friend, you obviously don't exist.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
One of the things I noticed about Fates is that the gameplay actively sabotages getting full supports. In Awakening you could usually go "I want to see this set of supports," backpack one character to another and you usually had a functioning unit. In Fates, especially conquest, I had a lot of situations where I wanted to see Soleil's supports with Forrest but simply couldn't commit a core frontline unit and a core backline unit to being paired up because otherwise I'd just die.

That the DLC scales to your level makes it difficult to do it that way, which means you're my castle grinding which is as fun as pulling teeth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Can I vote for Inigo but specify that the vote only counts if he gets the "I'm a man of passion" crit line?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

The final stage will kill you.

I swear I'm not going to go on a rant about that stage again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

conquest had some decent map design even if its pacing was for poo poo and it learned the entirely wrong lesson from awakening. and takumi is legit one of the best fe vilalins, it's a shame they ruin basically everything about that in the last five minutes of conquest.

If they had given me a loving save point.

Goddamn I'm still annoyed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I enjoyed Camilla making GBS threads on Hinoka constantly for all of Conquest.

That was good.

Then in Rev they spend 3 support conversations talking about sewing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Hinoka might be boring as hell but she have wonderful taste in retainers

Who were her retainers?

Like the only ones I remember are Kagerou who I think is Ryoma's? And then Severa, Inigo and Owain.

That was always weird to me actually. Those three characters have already killed a God (twice if you count Future Past, three times if you count Apotheosis Anna) by the time they get into Fatesverse and yet they're somehow weaker than the Royals?

What?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Manatee Cannon posted:

setsuna and azama

Ah yes! Those memorable characters who I totally don't just know as inheritance fodder in Heroes.

How could I ever have forgotten them!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

The secret to making archers good was always giving them good stats

Confirmed, Snipecina was a brutal Apotheosis killing machine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Talking about Camilla, I hope they somehow bring back that fates dragon vein mechanic in some way.

Christ no. gently caress having to prioritise random rear end characters I don't like because the plot demands me to.

"Xander you're so cool!" gently caress off, Laslow is better in every way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

uhh, do you not just use Corrin for that? I just like the map manipulation.

You're suggesting that because I have a problem with Xander's character that I use Corrin.

Do you see the issue with that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

rannum posted:

Isn't Corrin the only forced character

do you just throw him in a corner every map?

Because if so I respect the commitment

I'm not going to lie.

My Lunatic Classic Conquest run was a lot more difficult than it should have been.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Looper posted:

surely there's one character between all the royals and their kids that you like, that's like two thirds of the cast

Uhhhhh.

Uhhh.

Camilla I guess? Because she shittalks Hinoka like crazy and it's amazing.

Oh and Forrest, Forrest is cool. You do you you crazy twintailed motherfucker. Also for:

Corrin: But You're My Sister!

Camilla: Who gives a gently caress, we're not related by blood.

cheetah7071 posted:

"Well-written characters only" is an insane challenge run in Fates

Okay. Conquest only because obviously.

The Awakening Kids and their families get in. So that's Odin, Selena, Laslow, Soleil and Ophelia for sure.

Forrest is good so that's another.

I don't know if Velouria is well written or I like her because I think she's a Fantastic Four reference.

That's like 7 people, that's doable.

On normal.

On casual.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Uhh, Charlotte, Benny, Arthur and Effie?

Transparent gold digger, literally who, Sumia but a man and lol look at the girl who eats a lot.

Like Christ Fates, I can't believe you give me a big girl like Effie and then just immediately trope her into fatshaming bullshit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

boredsatellite posted:

I'm getting the impression you didn't read any of the support lines

Why the hell would I read support lines in Fates about characters whose introductions show me that I should have no interest in them? The onus is on the game to make me want to find out more, not me for deciding my first impression is all I wanted to see of these characters.

Endorph posted:

she eats a lot and one of the characters goes 'wow, how do you eat so much' but that isnt fatshaming because the entire point is that effie is jacked as hell and works out a lot. bodybuilders eat a shitton. see that one image of the rock about to cram his face full of 40 pancakes. idk how you arrive at fatshaming. or her even being overweight? well overweight in a 'fat' sense.

I just find it offputting that the major talking point around her is that she eats a lot and probably overreacted to it. It's the only real memory I have of the character outside of her being a pain to deal with in heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

"I have very strong opinions about the exact failings of something I didn't read"

Yeah that's pretty much it.

It's because Fates is bad and I never explored the characters because it's bad.

Endorph posted:

I mean it's just the shonen anime Strong Guy joke. Like Goku. Effie is Goku.

Yeah fair enough, I misjudged it.