Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I talked about this in the other PS thread, but DmC is a good, not great game. For free though, you can't go too wrong. It helps to go in expecting something more like a GoW type of game then an actual DMC game. There is alot of complexity to the fighting system but you never need any of it because the enemies are slow and project their moves so hard that it's almost funny. On that note, start the game on the hardest difficulty it allows you to. The game will still be far too easy, but it'll be a little better. The best thing about the game is the art direction. Ninja Theory still know how to make a pretty game and some of the visuals are pretty jaw dropping. Also, while most of the boss fights are nothing special, it does contain one of the better bosses I've seen in quite some time.

Also, it's a DMC game, so of course the plot it awful so don't expect anything else.

As I said, it's a good game and if you go into it with the right attitude you should not regret the spending the short time it takes to beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pews posted:

So I was excited to find out work was cancelled tomorrow due to snow, which means I'll get to play Don't Starve! But I have to ask, still being a PSN noob, is there a time when the updates usually happen? Need to plan my day accordingly, if possible.

It's always pretty up in the air. It can happen as early as noon or as late as Wednesday. Usually it happening around 5pmish EST though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Crash Bandicoot games are fantastic. The first one is a bit wonky and takes alot of getting used to but 2 and 3 are among the best platformers of the era. They're pretty much just pure fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

The thing about DmC is that it's neither a great game nor a terrible game, but is so perfectly mediocre that the entire range of human reactions become valid.

Yeah, this. I liked DmC overall, but it's a game with about as much to like as there is to dislike. In the end it will all depend about your preference. That being said, I think everyone that's getting the game owes it to themselves to at least play until the Raptor News boss.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Those are all really reasonable issues. Think I'll pass on this one.

I disagree with most of his points.

I found the platforming fine. I guess I didn't really have a problem with LBP either, but there I at least knew what people were talking about when they complained about the controls. Here, I just never really ever had any problems controlling anyone.

The complaint about the QTEs is odd to me. Not only are they not very long, but they are really forgiving and don't come up until you activate them. If you do manage to screw one up, you go back a little, but it's really never that fun.

I also did find the game to be alot of fun. Yes the head thing isn't used very well (though there are a few moments that can really shake things up) and yes there's alot of story but the story that's there is really god damned good and whimsical and I couldn't help but have a great time playing it from beginning to end. $7 is a god damned steal.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit people, at least try the demo. I really loved Puppeteer alot and think it's unfortunate that people are being scared off of getting it, especially for $7.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I paid $7 because of it on your recommendation because you really did make me think it was maybe what people were saying. It really is I'm afraid to say and I really regret buying it.

I don't know what else to tell you. I really liked it and it was one of my favorite games of last year and all the hate it's getting seems outright bizarre to me. I guess it's just gonna be one of those games like Heavenly Sword where I see something truly great and doesn't seem to be there for most other people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The art design in DmC is easily the best part of the game. It is just a really, really good looking game and some of the visuals are incredibly creative and fun. The boss I keep hyping is probably the best visual I've seen in a game in a long time. It's hard to even explain the visuals that go on during that fight. One of my friends described one of his moves as a 3D version of the spell Goner from FF6 and I can't really argue with him but the fact that the description is accurate shouldn't make sense.

It's a game that has many problems but the visuals aren't one of them. Ninja Theory knows their poo poo.

Surlaw posted:

DMC is much better than I expected even if it is way too easy for me after playing the rest of the series. I really like the art design of its world, I think the platforming is fun, and Dante actually is funny. He was the part I was worried most about but he's actually good, it's the rest of the cast that ranges from bad to boring. It's nowhere near as serious as I feared, which is great. I kind of hate the music, but I've never liked the music in this series.

Yeah, Dante's portrayal is surprisingly okay. He's the only character where the writing style seems to work, but even then it kind of falls apart later when he gets more serious. In general, the plot could have been good if they had tweaked a bunch of stuff. There's a bunch of good ideas in there but they're stifled by questionable choices and poor execution.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Try hard mode. Also: did you know that DMC3's normal mode in North America was the Japanese version's hard mode?

Hard mode is still far too easy. I'm saying that as someone who has never beat another DMC game before and I don't think I'm that great at these type of games. The enemies just really project their moves really far in advanced, they don't do all that much damage, and if you die you don't really lose all that much. There's also the fact that most of the enemies can just be juggled forever. It's just an easy game, which as I learned from my recent experience with GoW:A, is way better than a challenging game where the challenge comes from bullshit.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 17, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The first Bioshock wasn't good enough for how mad people get about Infinite.

I was about to post that I'd never seen a game that divided people as much as Bioshock Infinite, but then I remembered, y'know, Bioshock.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was also pretty underwhelmed by Brothers. It felt like it rushed through the story to quickly and I never really gained an attachment to either character so when the predictable indie game stuff happens, I wasn't all that phased by it. I think part of the problem is they wanted an Ico thing but there you the other character is out of your control so they feel separate from you and it's easier to gain attachments. Since you control both characters in Brothers they both just sort of feel like you and have the limitations of a player character.

It doesn't help that the gameplay is really simple and the mechanics never really get interesting. At the end especially it just sort of gives up on trying to actually have any sort of puzzles.

It wasn't terrible and you can't go wrong for free but best temper your expectations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Ha, well Amplitude on PS2 was great, so I can put up with some questionable soundtrack choices. But if the game just isn't all that good I'll save my money/HDD space. Thanks.

I pulled the trigger and, yeah, it's not that good. I too can put up with the bad music but gameplay wise it's just a way worse version of One Finger Death Punch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So Skullgirls Encore is up. Anyone got a voucher in their xmb yet? Kind of sucks that I would be able to play it if I just bought it but instead I have to wait for them to send you the voucher.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone received their free Skullgirls voucher yet?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

Got my Skullgirls code.

Oooh, so did I. 'Bout time!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten how much I actually like Skullgirls. There's a limit to how much I can get out of it because I'm kind of intimidated by the online community of a game like this but fanservice aside, the game really has a great sense of style and a smooth fighting system. Also, I know PC people have had Squigly for months now this is the first time I've been able to play as her and she seems to be a pretty great character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While I'm still fairly confident "fan-service" was a legti term to use in reference to some of Skullgirls' character designs, I'll rephrase what I said earlier:

I had forgotten how much I actually like Skullgirls. There's a limit to how much I can get out of it because I'm kind of intimidated by the online community of a game like this but embarrassing character designs elements aside, the game really has a great sense of style and a smooth fighting system. Also, I know PC people have had Squigly for months now this is the first time I've been able to play as her and she seems to be a pretty great character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

I really wish I could appreciate everything that goes into a modern fighting game, especially since I'm such a big fan of all types of animation, but I've never really gotten further than being decent at Ken in Street Fighter II HD, and some characters in Smash Bros.

Maybe once the new version of Skullgirls comes out in Europe I'll just pick a character, print out their movelist, and just keep playing people online until I'm alright with them.

Honestly, if you like animation, Skullgirls is worth picking up for that alone. Some of the characters (especially Peacock and Double) are among the best, most fun creative sprites I've ever seen.

Edit: I mean look at this:

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 14, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Brothers is a great game at the price of free but Tomb Raider is a game that's worth the original retail price so getting it for free is awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the writing in Tomb Raider was fine. It wasn't incredible but it has it moments and does alot of what it sets out to do. It has it's missteps too, but overall I think it sets out to show how a relatively normal girl can basically be pushed into becoming an action hero and it intergrated the massive amount of killing your character does much better into the story then, let's say, Uncharted.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

...I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I don't think you understand my criticism. It has nothing to do with portrayals of women and everything to do with the fact that Lara makes the jump from "quivering human Jell-O" to "bloodthirsty sociopath" with little to no repercussions. Killing a person is presented as a huge trauma to her in a cutscene, but then you immediately ice ten more guys in a gameplay sequence and she never even flinches. Her ability to forget the island in a flash and be gung ho about doing the whole thing again further trivializes all that prior handwringing.

The game is fun, the writing is bad. Really, really bad. Uncharted makes no bones about Drake being a murder machine, and it works. He's a fun caricature. Lara frets and navel-gazes about being a murderer and then saws someone in half with point blank assault rifle fire as an up-close kill animation. And yeah, that's awesome, but it's unearned. It's like her character arc is missing all the middle bits where she reconciles her transformation, and instead she just keeps vacillating between "helpless waif" and "ice cold killer" depending on whether or not she's under your control.

I disagree. I thought they did that transition well and ending was earned. Early on she does kill alot of people but it's shown as something she doesn't want to do but rather has to do. She does kill with ease but the killing is something she doesn't have a choice in. As the game goes on she gets more and more used to it and the moral implications fade and by the end of the game she's a killing machine that burns the enemies bases down whilst screaming that she's going to kill every last one of them. The transition is a little clunky but they do sort of have to get to the gameplay so I can forgive it and I still thought the transition was there.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

There's no reason to buy any game for $60 nowadays. The price usually goes down in just a couple of months.

To be fair, if there's any game you should buy at launch, it's a game like PSABR. If you wait to long the community might be dead/full of people that will crush you the second you step foot online.

PSABR was an odd game. The main game was really fun but the central mechanic of the game kind of sucked and that obviously brought the whole game down. You pretty much played a fighting game with a really cool, complex system full of characters that played completely differently, but to actually score you pretty much had to play a much less fun game of either trying to set up one move or a lovely boring minigame. It tried to come up with it's own system to not be Smash Bros but it was just far inferior to Smash Bros idea of knocking your opponent off screen, which is unfortunate because I actually liked the actual fighting mechanics WAY more than Smash Bros.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't that Strider game said to be decent?

I mean, I'll wait for reviews/someone here to beat the game and post about it, but it sounded good from what I heard of it.

It's by Double Helix games, who are one of those companies where it's mysterious how they keep getting work, so yes, waiting for the reviews would be for the best.

e:f;b

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I started playing Remember Me in an effort to at least play it a little bit before it goes free.

Man, it is not a good game like at all. It's ugly, badly written and the combat feels like a really bad imitation of the Arkham games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I found it funny in the early part of Remember Me you're tasked with finding a bar and you're told "you can't miss it" and this is proven to be true given how incredibly linear the level is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, now that I've played it a little more, I'm more positive then ever that this just isn't a good game. It has some interesting ideas here and their but they're drowned in a sea of bad ones.

Also, here's a tip for any game makers that want to make a game where you fight stuff: don't make it so enemies are invincible unless you do a certain thing. It's a concept that is never as cool as you think it is and at worst can be really god damned aggregating. I just fought some enemies that can turn invisible and it was fine for a bit but then I got to a fight where the only way to make it so you could touch them was to turn on a light (that went off and then had a cool down timer) or to use a special move (which you could only charge by hitting enemies an even longer cool down timer). That ended up being a pretty not fun fight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still not smart enough to have stopped playing Remember Me so here's some more reasons you shouldn't play it!

There are enemies in the game that you can't hit at all without them hurting you. You can counteract this because some of your moves you can place in your combos heal you but this might be the least fun enemy type I've ever fought in pretty much anything.

In general, I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to make a combat system based around timers and I really don't know why this person thought a two minute wait was acceptable. Once again you can put moves in your combo to reduce these timers, but they really don't do it enough and at best you end up still waiting a minute to do a movie you need to do to kill these enemies, rather than doing something fun.

Also, this game might have the sorriest collection of bosses I've ever seen. They have that lovely Arkham thing of tending to be guys that just summon a shitload of minions while they dick around, trying to annoy you, but they also have loads of life and are often dependent on the timers I just talked about to hurt them at all.

I'm not one that usually pays attention to Metacritic all that much, but I'm amazed that this got as high of rating as it did and I'm saying that when it got like 70 something. This game is just horrible.

The music is pretty good though...I'll give it that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Does it get much worse than kid XMAS? I just started playing on hard, and that fight practically screamed of the potential of unfun gimmick bosses in the future. Maybe I'll just knock it down to easy and scream through it, because I like everything but the combat pretty much. The boss damage being based on a cooldown when I only have one of the cooldown reduction combo pieces sucks.

Yes it gets much worse. Honestly out of all the bosses I found Kid Xmas so be the least unfun. Most of them, as I said earlier, are mainly Arkham Asylum like bosses that just sick waves upon waves of minions on you so you can charge your bar and get a special move to hurt the boss at all. Even the boss of the game is like this. You will get more cooldown pieced though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Counterpoint: I found it a lot of fun (especially for free), loved the atmosphere, it's gorgeous, actually liked the combat system, thought most of the bosses were fun to fight, the music is amazing, and while the scriptwriters could probably get sued by William Gibson it's entirely passable.

I had a lot more fun with it than I did with Uncharted 3, even.

Different stroked I guess. I seemed to have actually liked the game less than is average actually. Still, I have trouble seeing how anyone could like most of those bosses. There's are like two that aren't just the boss does something while you fight infinite hordes of fodder enemies to charge up your moves enough to touch the boss and that's about it. I didn't even find the combat system hard or anything, just dull. I mean the cutson thing is cool in concept but moves don't actually feel any different from one another, so it was kind of all for naught.

I will agree the music was mostly pretty amazing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

It's got fine single player but actually you have to beat it to even unlock multiplayer which is kind of annoying. You can use NPCs in single player too if you want.

To be fair, this is only true of online multiplayer. It still kind of sucks, but I understand it because it weeds out at least some pubies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Why does Ni No Kuni have two different downloads when I bought it? One is five gigs and says it's he full game, but there's also one that's 15 gigs. My connection is horrible, so I'm hoping I just need the first one.

It's two downloads so you don't need as much space to install it. Because the PS3 is badly designed you need double the amount space of a file to install it and won't let you even try download it unless youhave the free space. Ni No Kuni is so big that they split it up so you didn't need quite as much space for the PS3 to allow you to install it. Instead of needing 40gbs free, splitting makes you only need 30.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any opinions about Master Reboot?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hirsute posted:

I've been curious about Soldner X for a while, any recommendations one way or the other about buying it on sale?

The first one is kind of lovely but the second on is pretty good if you like that sort of thing.

That's pretty much all I remember.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It's a beautiful game and really shits on Lara's image/fandom in a good way. I mean the entire intro is the player getting literally hit over the head, and then a 20 minute visual metaphor for giving birth to a "new" Lara Croft as she escapes from a creepy weird man, ending in her emerging from a "birth canal" covered in blood. It's kind of pretentious but in a way that made me appreciate it anyway.

Holy poo poo. I never thought of it that way and that's spot on.

precision posted:

Then again I only ever played like 20 minutes of the first Tomb Raider before putting the series down forever (until GoL was free for PS+, and I seem to remember that was a fun, inoffensive little game).

The Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders are all worth playing to varying degrees in my opinion. They really turned the series around in a major way really fast. You can also get all of the games they made in a trilogy collection which I think you can also get pretty dang cheap these days.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Descent is literally one of my favorite movies ever and because of that I will probably never watch the sequel.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

I looked it up. On the 360 at least, if you go 88 miles in the DeLorean you unlock a challenge that's the recreation of the driver test, including the absurd time limit.

There's an achievement for doing it.

That is incredibly awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I probably like the psp god of war games best, but thats because they get rid of all the mind-numbingly patronizing and time consuming 'puzzles' (Push this block, turn this crank, set off this pressure plate: repeat every loving game. :rolleyes:) while scaling the games back by about half.

As bad as Ascension is, it actually has some good puzzles. Funny how that worked out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I want to play Dark Souls II but every time I start it up it wants to update and then gets an error while downloading the update :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

Braid is pretentious?

As someone that hates that word because I think it's applied to stuff it doesn't really deserve to get applied to, and as someone who really liked Braid, yes, Braid is really pretentious.

I would also say that Rain is more artsy than pretentious. It is a little up it's own rear end, but it's all also pretty straight forward.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

counterpoint: braid is good

Yeah this.

It's not as good as it needs to be to really pull off all the things Blow is attempting to say with it, but it's still a really solid puzzle platformer. It's pretentious because it's not possible for it to be as good as it needs to be to justify all the genre subverting stuff that's present in the presentation, but I still had a good time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I actually think it is good enough to pull those things off, and only earns its "pretentious" label with its blocks of text. Which are all skippable and don't show up in any great quantity anyway, so it's not like they prevent you from enjoying the game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Braid and I even think the ending is neat, it's just all the other stuff that it's doing with it's presentation, text and subtext just don't work all that well because the gameplay needs to be more than it ended up being. What I'm saying it the gameplay is really good but it's not realyl good enough to get across what the game is saying very well, which is where alot of the aggravation and calls of it being pretentious come from. It's a game that reaches very far and doesn't even come close, but it carries on like it has. That doesn't actually make it a bad game, just a pretentious one.

• Locked thread