Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Emetic Hustler posted:

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/460549171414441984

So you are not concussed when lying on the ice motionless, getting up on wobbly legs and looking like you don't know what planet you are on. Ok.
Eric Lindros stubbed his toe so many times, why don't they mandate tiny helmets for toes already :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

JawKnee posted:

were there any (or many?) serious/fatal head injuries when hockey had no helmets? If not, why? Some unwritten code of how the game was meant to be played?
Here's a list of players that died while active with cause of death. In the era with the no forward passing rule it seems likely that it made things generally safer and with ice/skate technology being what it was everyone moved much slower than modern players. Not having hard plastic shell elbow/shoulder pads or composite sticks factored in too.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

On the one hand, I'm terrified of the return Murray gets on Spezza, as there's no possible way the player(s) coming back can provide anything near what he could provide. Plus if he's gone, Hemsky's probably gonna gently caress off as well

On the other hand, I would like to get rid of him before his back problems get even worse. What would the Blues even trade for a guy like Spezza? I'm assuming Murray wants a top-4 D
Ray Ferraro was talking about a potential trade package of Shattenkirk and Berglund for Eberle so I guess something around that.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i wonder how many of those drowning deaths were actually concussion influenced suicides
Thinking about all the deaths that could be directly or indirectly attributed to things that happened while playing is depressing.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Levitate posted:

Dom Moore should win it for coming back from his wife's death
The ESPN e:60 segment they did about him was really good :smith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Zamboni Jesus posted:

that would be a terrible trade for the blues
It could work out better than the Perron trade did for them in theory :ohdear:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Habibi posted:

Sharks: Summer is coming.

e: poo poo, I literally didn't notice I was in the wrong thread. This does not bode well!
You've got 0 points in the prediction contest and then go out of your way to curse your own team. Shame thy name is Habibi. :mad:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Here's the last episode of Oil Change if you want to see Ryan Smyth cry

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The new TSN Luongo segment is pretty amazing

Technically it could be the last time we might get to see Ryan Smyth cry. Unless you live in Edmonton and see him in public... Or in a few years at the press conference where he's announced as an executive...

Vicas posted:

the only real question is Johansen jersey... or Jenner :getin:
Farmer Strong. You've got to go with Farmer Strong :colbert:

deafmute fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 29, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The #FlaPanthers have relieved interim coach Peter Horachek of his coaching duties effective immediately..

From Hope_Smoke: Dreger "Carlyle will be hired within a week of being fired, if he is, and a team that would be interested is Florida"

If that happens I'm going to feel really bad for the Panthers fans :(

ThinkTank posted:

Leading with your elbows is a type of leadership.
Where the hell is Seabrook's nomination? :mad:

deafmute fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 29, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

STL puts Cracknel on waivers

Jeffrey and Mueller cleared waivers for the Stars

Brain Curry posted:

Supposedly Lavy and Trotz are being talked about.
There was a rumor a week or so ago that if Carlyle was fired that the Panthers would hire him immediately and I really hope that doesn't happen to your dudes :(

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

goddamn RJ Umberger was playing with a broken finger, separated shoulder and herniated disc
How could he even skate while on that many painkillers :staredog:

Patrik Berglund played with a dislocated shoulder apparently too.

Other news: Doug Armstrong says Jake Allen will be with the Blues next season.

deafmute fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Guignol posted:

Resign Jagr
Resign Brodeur
Sign Alfredsson
Replace benches with Acorn Stairlifts
Convince Teemu and Ray Whitney to join and it'll be just like The Expendables!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

In news that will surprise no one the Red Wings will be using their final compliance buyout on Jordan Tootoo.
Seems like it would've made more sense to use on Franzen but this way saves them $1.9mil so that's cool I guess

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Mike Keenan is the 1st non-Russian head coach to win the Gagarin Cup(KHL).

I want to see Mike Keenan get in a screaming match with Patrick Roy :smith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

JawKnee posted:

i'm so loving happy guys
Then Adam Oates entered the frame and the darkness was eternal

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Trev gonna bring that certified winner Mike Keenan back.
He still has another year left on his KHL deal though. Only Oates or Carlyle are excited to accept the job :(

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Trotz won't work for this team. SJS need to lose so we can get McLellan. He's a great coach.
If McLellan and Torts traded spots then had the same results it'd be pretty great

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Aces High posted:

how is the defense pool looking this off-season :smith:
Derek Morris is available! He's familiar with the area it'll be perfect.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

So out of morbid curiosity how often does a team lose 4 in a row in the playoffs after winning 3?
IIRC in NHL/NBA/MLB it has happened 13 times total combined. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards have done it twice.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Mason says he did indeed have a concussion and was experiencing headaches up until night before Game 4.

Great loving job Flyers medical staff :psyduck:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

What did they do wrong?

He didn't play with symptoms, right?

Concussions are weird things and guys react to them differently. Not everyone who gets hit in the head stops being able to play hockey.
I'm pretty sure that the concussion protocol is that you're supposed to be 100% symptom free for 48 hours before playing. The medical staff is responsible for the safety of the players and if they allow them to play while having any symptoms it can cause additional impacts to generate substantially more severe trauma. Thinking that people can or should play through traumatic brain injuries is a gigantic issue.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

4th round pick in 2014 to the Caps for Halak.
That seems like more than they needed to give up... Is it conditional at least?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

a false posted:

that was also the price for ehrhoff's rights

this is a very good trade if they can sign him. NOW loving SIGN HIM
Comparing defensemen/forwards to goalies is silly because the markets are completely different. How many available goalie jobs are there compared to how many are available this year? It's bad asset management.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

if the sharks are able to buyout havlat and possibly stuart to have quite a bit of cap room, why would they trade marleau, thornton, or pavelski? changes can be made pretty easily with how their roster is lining up for next year, without giving up any of those guys.
It'd make more sense to trade Havlat and retain some salary than buying him out. Having cap room is nice but there aren't that many capable defensemen available and those that are will generate dumb rear end bidding wars. Getting the type of help they need would be easier to find through trades than free agency unless DW has the best offseason of his life and gets incredibly lucky.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Tom Poti retired. Moment of silence please :smith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Tim Thomas has been added to U.S. team for the world championship next week.

tofes posted:

70 million for 7 years :getin:
They'll match that in an instant, you gotta do something crazy like $30mil for 2 years. That way even if they match it they'll have to go through the same thing in 2 years :shepface:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Doug Wilson will recommend to ownership is that Sharks coaching staff remains in place.

VJeff posted:

...to do what, carry Howard, Schneider and Miller's bags?
Making sure the tires are properly inflated is incredibly important :colbert:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Chris Johnston: Gary Bettman says a weaker Canadian dollar will put next year's salary cap at $69M or $70M. Had been projected at $71M.

Buyout speculation is coming :ohdear:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Ray Ratto has figured out how to fix the Sharks or remind everyone that he is a terrible hack. Either/or :shrug:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Okay since I didn't quite word it right and used the wrong thread and it was crass and unfunny.

Why is Phoenix changing it's name to Arizona? I know they're the only team in the state but I'm not sure if it's there to try and attract interest or if it's just a marketing thing.
It's part of their arena lease agreement with the City of Glendale

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Gio posted:

not really. the Avs were not that good of a team to begin with.
I have it on good authority that they're going to win the Cup in 2-3 years tops and bad teams don't do that sir :colbert:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

reach42 posted:

ROR probably isn't long for Colorado if he has any sour memories of last off-season.
Since his qualifying offer is $6.5million dollars the Avs are in an incredibly interesting position.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

reach42 posted:

Since management didn't want to pay him last go-round, what do you think the market is for him? I think it's incredibly peculiar that the cap is as conservative as it is next season considering the "historic" Rogers Sportsnet Deal that everyone claimed would boost the cap.
His agent could probably get $7.5mil from a few teams. If forced to choose I'd want him over Stastny. You'd think all the outdoor games would've made the cap go higher too but the Canadian dollar hates everyone :effort:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

tofes posted:

Whenever someone says a team just "needs to get some defense" I think it's funny because it's really loving hard to find good defensemen
The class of defensemen that are available this year looks pretty fantastic!

Niskanen, Markov, Zidlicky, Boyle, Gilbert, Meszaros, Morris, Salo, Hainsey, Nikitin, Ranger, Quincey, Orpik, Weaver, Hannan, Mitchell, Kostka, Corvo, Sarich, Greene, Bouillon, Colaiacovo, Komisarek, Summers, Murray, Gill, Whitney, Mottau, Alberts

:negative:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

mcvey posted:

As long as he doesn't coach, whatever. Maybe he'd make a good GM/president of hockey things?
He installed his friends in all positions when he was with the Coyotes. He is why Cliff Fletcher and Mike Barnett were the Coyotes GM. Enough people have forgot about Rick Tocchet's gambling ring clusterfuck while he was an assistant coach that Gretzky would probably be cool making him the new coach. Grant Fuhr can be your part time goalie coach since he'll be busy playing loving golf for 70% of practices, Holtby will love him.

The only hockey management position Gretzky didn't completely gently caress up was his involvement with Team Canada and that's almost impossible to botch.

He makes a good mascot and charity/fundraising host if that's something the Capitals need.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I don't think you can honestly do a worse job than Gretzky did in 2006.
That was the "we need Draper but we don't need Sidney Crosby" selection year right?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

If Olczyk was no longer on NBCSN I'd be pretty happy...

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

I don't see how, I'll grant he's not anywhere near the top ten list for sports commentary but there is a long list of NHL commentators underneath him that deserve to be put out to pasture (or worse).

Or is this just a "chicago sucks and anything from chicago sucks too" thing?
He's a homer and usually obnoxious during games. Just because there are worse options than him doesn't make him a good announcer. He's in the same realm with Milbury/Engblom/Pierre/Emrick for things NBCSN needs to dump.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

And replace them with who? You seem to be setting an impossibly high bar if obnoxious sayings and pandering to a specific team's crowd is the criteria for getting a commentator thrown out. I can't think of a single personality in the hockey universe that would pass that test.
You enjoy listening to him exclusively because you're a Blackhawks homer. When announcers do a national broadcast it's really not difficult for most of them to be objective, look how Hahn, Strader, Pang and Remenda handle themselves. The broadcasts would be better with dead silence over obnoxious idiot homers that detract from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

Haha that's amazing, in a conversation about team bias a San Jose Sharks fan picks the San Jose Sharks commentators for the short list and in the exact same paragraph gives a Chicago Blackhawks fan poo poo for liking the Chicago Blackhawks commentators.

I have no opinion on the sharks commentators, I just think that's the gooniest post so far this month.
I'm a Coyotes fan that can recognize good broadcasters, sorry that this is beyond your comprehension :smith:

• Locked thread