Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Naughty Dog hasn't been great since the PS1 era so its not a real loss. Though hopefully the people there can find jobs when they inevitably close down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
At least we'll always have PC...right?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 7, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

pentyne posted:

They've made a game that would have to sell 20+ million copies to break even.

A lot of heads are going to roll.
The Road to E3 2014: Video Game Crash 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Starting to wonder if games are being made by people who actually played videogames or are they being made by people who think games are art and fun is supposed to cost extra.
Art can be fun. Too bad games aren't art.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Personally I always hated Myst and I loved Gone Home. I would say I'm killing gaming, but its obviously doing an exemplary job of that all on its own.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BexGu posted:

If only Adam could be replaced by Joel " I just don't give a gently caress" McHale.
If only, man, if only.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope they at least announce Dishonored 2. Most AAA games are poo poo and I don't care for them, but Dishonored was freakin' great and it only got better with the DLC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It arguably ruined games as a whole, because now publishers want that COD money that they can never get and aren't willing to make some money off smaller projects so what you get is the modern AAA game industry where tired, cookie-cutter FPSes cost more than the GDP of most countries.

That still utterly baffles me. $500 mil. The crash for AAA games can't come soon enough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm pretty hyped for Killing Floor 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
SOTN 2 and Beyond Good and Evil 2? That's got to be a troll. Don't be playing with me.

*Edit*
Thought so, Ubisoft would be announcing B G&E 2 in their own panel most likely anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's probably going to bomb miserably like almost every other "COD-killer". It will be glorious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

I think more than half that budget is for marketing, but I also think that it's expensive now because they're building an engine from the ground up to handle the franchise that may be around for a couple console generations.
Yeah, but making a successful franchise isn't easy. No FPS has succeeded at rivaling COD in almost ten years and that is the only way Destiny is probably getting its money back.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm actually curious is all that funding from Bungie's coffers are is there someone else backing them?
Activision is. And now I feel like a total rear end for forgetting that. Still, I don't think COD plays are going to migrate to it in droves big enough to justify the budget. They'll just keep playing COD.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Policenaut posted:

Who the gently caress is Hurk and why should I care about his imprisonment again?
He's got a harpoon gun, that's all you need to know.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thank goodness you can skip all the rear end Creed credits because they are absurdly long because of that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You still probably shoot a lot of brown people though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, so the plot is going to be 'white guy joins Tibetan Buddhist temple, learns to kick rear end with the Buddha's power'?
He also wrestles a Yeti.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Ever play Uncharted 2? Plenty of magical bullshit floating around Tibet.
Yeah, they have a secret colony of giant Smurfs up there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

redreader posted:

What is rope kid and the fallout: new vegas team working on at the moment? The other game studio that excites me a lot is Klei, and I just bought the alpha for the invisibles.
They've been working on Pillars of Eternity, the game they successfully Kickstarted two years ago. It's an isometric RPG like the 90's D&D games. Should be coming out by the end of the year.

The OP in the thread here gives you a good overview.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I agree I actually like Fallout 3 because of the atmosphere. New Vegas is the better game but it really wasn't fun to explore due to all the desert, mountains, and cazadores.

I honestly will probably get Fallout 4 eventually if its like 3, because even if Bethseda can't write a plot and missions for poo poo they can at least make an interesting enough world to dick around in.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 15, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sardonik posted:

The only thing with a slight hint of nuance was the tranquility lane stuff.
And even then that was just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The one idea they never should have dropped entirely from rear end Creed 1 was doing missions to better prepare you for assassinations like getting info about your target or learning about guard placements. They really could have improved on them by making them more unique and actually affecting the assassination missions. I still like the series (Though I'm never touching 3) but I agree they really could improve some more. They probably won't though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Harlock posted:

I think the design started as Medieval Hitman (I mean that was my take on it, and it seemed very exciting) and then grew to whatever button mashing action game it is now for better or worse
Yeah, it felt they wanted to do Hitman but then it turned more of an action platformer, which is still fine with me because I love 3-D platformers and there are barely any anymore. Still rather disappointing though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 22, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were good games. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anyone who follows that list is going to wind up dead halfway through the first day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

zenintrude posted:

It's Uncharted with a Victorian skin... the gameplay worked for Uncharted, so it should work for other time periods.
Uncharted's gameplay was bland as poo poo though, its not much of a positive.

I will never understand the love for that series, ever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I feel kind of bad for Bioware seeing is that Obsidian and CD Projekt are going to completely put them to shame with Eternity and Witcher 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Why is Homefront 2 a thing?????
Because an older IP, no matter how lovely, is seen as more profitable than an original IP in this industry.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

leidend posted:

Agreed. Those fuckers tricked me into buying Persona 4.
They didn't trick you, they gave you good advice. :colbert:

The Mega Ten series, which includes Persona, are like the only great JRPGs left anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New Shadow Warrior was also a really fun FPS.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ymgve posted:

All the guns in that game were practically useless, so I guess by FPS you mean First Person Slicer.
And there's nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

The crossbow and rocket launcher were good weapons though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man DA:3 is going to be so baaad compared to Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Still, expect millions of pre-orders from idiots, many of them goons, based solely on Bioware claiming to also prefer DA:O over 2 and basically no other evidence that they're even capable of making a good game even if they wanted to.
It's the gaming circle of life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

I don't own playstation system past 2, but I did watch the Game Grumps play Sony Smash. Aren't there literally two characters that are just "normal rear end dude" and "normal rear end dude's evil normal rear end twin"? Cole whatever from whatever game or something
Yeah, Cole from Infamous. They had Good Cole and Evil Cole as separate characters.

The thing with Sony All Stars is that they do have some cool first party characters, i.e. Jennifer Tate, Wild Arms characters, Sir Dan. Problem is that nobody knows who the hell they are because most never became major franchises.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

khy posted:

How big of a shovel will I need to dig through the stupid poo poo and find anything interesting in this year's E3?

Or is there anything interesting to find?
Dead Rising 3 DLC looks like it will be fun when it gets released for PC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Witcher 3 looks really good, probably going to be one of the games that are going to be like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Patter Song posted:

So...um...wasn't Ubisoft supposed to go on half an hour ago?
There's still another half-hour.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nativity In Black posted:

Here's to hoping that the Bethesda announcement isn't Brink 2.
I would legitimately be hyped for Dishonored 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

So Where's Dreamfall, give me dreamfall if you're not giving me BG&E2.
Dreamfall Chapters is too good for E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there some shootymans game coming where you don't play as Slab Bulkhead and The Grizzled Freedom Crew but instead kill cops for fun and profit?

Because that's what I want. I want to be the bad guy.
The new Rainbow Six and Battlefield they announced today lets you play as the criminals/terrorists fighting the cops/SWAT.

• Locked thread