Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Wow, that seems pretty early for Suter.

His fancy stats are not terribly impressive, but I suppose that isn't helped by him playing half the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kessel's also won the Tom Poti Memorial Trophy for athletes that look like IT professionals 3 years running

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll take Matt Duchene. Great dynamic young player who should develop into a PPG center and might already be there given what he did this year. He was one of the two I'd hoped would drop to me, the other being Benn.

I actually forgot about Perry, but he's a good pick too.

This is the pick I was waiting for. Definitely put him over Marleau, maybe Couture, maybe MacKinnon (especially at this stage of their career).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Give him Hugh Jessiman

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

feeling better about my team now despite no defense

Vanek-Galchenyuk-Eberle

Rask

That line is butter soft, you have to admit.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can I be the Rangers? Can I salvage this wreckage with say...

Mike Green?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mika Zibanejad

I'll do effort posts during lunch today, but you can imagine I'm a bit unprepared.

The short version is he's got a decent corsi as a 21 year old on the last year's Senators - plus I imagine I have a pretty decent chance of picking up a stalwart 2nd/3rd line defensive center down the line more than a young, entering his prime, dynamic center.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alright - time to go a little maverick.

So we've got a bit of a philosophy change, some of you could argue a bit of clean-up to be done. Did Stepan and Palat go earlier than they should've? Yeah, maybe, but we've got youth, anchored by the best and most handsome goalie this side of the Atlantic, giving us the time for players to grow and the chance to build an up-tempo, high-risk high-reward kind of team that'll keep the fans in the seats. No more of this grinding, shot-blocking smothering system. We're bringing in advanced statistics, we want shooting matches because our goalie is gonna be stopping more shots than yours.

First thing's first, we needed a youngish puck-moving defenseman, and Mike Green used to sort of be one of those. He's been busted up the past few seasons, but last year he played 70 games and put up a decent CF% on an absolutely abysmal, tire-fire of a team. Discounting the garbage-broken years, you've got a player that moves the puck like few others and can eat up some minutes for you. It's a risk if he's still broken, but a steal if he bounces back (and playing in front of Lundqvist gives him the freedom to play fast and loose like we're trying to build for here). I think this is a decent way to pick since there are still dozens of young picks/grizzled vets to go around, and I wanted someone potentially elite to carry our back-end/power-play.

In comes Mika Zibanejad. Again, the youth rush. Kid put up good, good numbers for the Sens last year and is only going to get better with time. He's going to need some cushy zone-starts still, but as I said, there's plenty of defensively responsible centers available to give the hard starts to. When you can take a dynamic player entering his prime, you do it. Now in a few rounds while you guys are scrambling to pick the bottom-barrel kids to keep your team from imploding in a few seasons, I'll be picking up old dudes on short contracts to bridge the gap and keep us competitive while the core grows to maturity.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Kerr-Gretzky-Yemelin

Erhoff-Radulov

Brodeur

My god, it's full of stars!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Ill take Jacob Trouba . Though I want to win now, adding a 20 year old top 3 D man on a ELC will help me in the long run. I think Trouba was the best rookie defencemen last season, I'm kind of shocked he went so far after Jones/Lindholm/Murray. He's every bit as good as those guys, if not better. I wasn't sold on Trouba at first, but since being drafted Trouba has excelled at every level he's played at. He has so much potential, and he's already a very solid player. Quite happy with the pick.

Argh, sonovabitch. I knew there was no chance he'd fall but I desperately wanted him to. He would be the perfect backup plan for my busted up Mike Green.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

This guy isn't a #1 defense-man in 2014.

Eh, Zubov played 'til he was like 38 and he smoked like a drat chimney. He might have a good 2-3 years left in him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You guys keep picking players not on my list and I am ecstatic. I was a bit nervous the last few but now I'll definitely get at least one major piece I want when my next pick is up.
(I have ~90 picks on my "short" list ready to go)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Cooter is a better pick than Zibanejad from way earlier.

I'm not sold on the Spurgeon / Greene combo. I think you could have done better picking 2 D there.

Eh, I'm not convinced (at least from a fancy stats angle). Z put up way better stats on a substantially worse team. I think guys like Couturier are still available, granted they're nearer to 30 than 21 but still. It's easier to find defensively responsible guys than folks than can bury the puck.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Couturier is a 21 year old playing as a shutdown player and he still put up just shy of 40 points. If he was 30, that'd be one thing, but he's not. The fact he played in the NHL as an 18 year old is significant.

Which is admittedly not unlike Jordan Staal, and as a Pens fan I recognize the value in that type of player. That said, I think these types of players are far more complimentary than they are backbones to developing a team. (I definitely took Z way too early)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

Your 30's: too old to play hockey according to goons

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have spoiled you

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like Hodgson but his corsi is so fuckin' bad. Like really, really bad. Bottom of the barrel bad.

I don't know how much of that you can attribute to the Sabres "hockey" club though. He'll probably break out one of these seasons.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The only thing I know about JayBo is that you can probably make a five minute highlight reel of Crosby burning the poo poo out of just him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone should write up a 30+ superstar roster so we can watch it fall apart in like 2 seasons.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So soon. Feels like it's been forever.
MacArthur is a good pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The New York Young'ns featuring Henrik Lundqvist are proud to select, from Massachusetts...
Chris "Playoffs" Kreider

He's young, he's damned good (and better in the post-season). He's big, his Corsi and QoC show that he'd be a valuable asset on any line, and his grit and sandpaper style of play will make him the consummate winger for Zibanejad as they both grow into superstar players.

Sure he takes some lovely penalties (when he takes any at all), but he's got plenty of time to iron that poo poo out of his game as he spends the next two years on an absolute sweetheart of a deal.

Palat - Stepan -
Kreider - Zibanejad -
---
---
- Green
-
-
King Henry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

You're missing a defense

It's coming. Next pick is a defenseman for sure, really Mike Green was next to Alzner for most of the last season, so anyone relatively solid in his own end can hold the fort while he's off roving. The rest of the top 9 I can fill out with poor (short) contracts.

e: Also, to my credit, I didn't take Stepan, Palat, or Lundqvist. It was a rough start and with what was left on the board I figured building a run and gun potential team would be fun. Kind of like a bizarro Rangers that Hank will drag to the playoffs sometimes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alrighty, I'll catch you dudes in the morning (it's been a long week and I intend to sleep like I've earned it).

(Please don't consensus pick me before like 10AM EST if it gets to that point) Dunno if you folks do that or if sleeping is accounted for after the shift to 4 hour pick windows.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stickarts posted:

Is he asleep? Quick, give him Engelland.

I'll wake up tomorrow with Chris Pronger and Marc Savard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hjalmersson.
Will do details in the morning

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let's talk about Hjalmarsson.
So hey, he's a young (in defence years) guy who can slot in next to Green for the time being and eat up some tough minutes. Also he's on a nice long contract.
Crazy good Corsi (QoC saying he's eating minutes against the best other teams can offer), he does a good job being a shutdown D who can keep the puck out of his own end. Just the kind of guy I want rolling around behind Mike Green (or as a 2nd pair anchor if a better option comes around).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's definitely a more viable partner for Subban than he would've been for Green.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jack Johnson is worse than Tyler Myers, and Tyler Myers is not very good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Going with any of the middling rookies is gonna be a high-risk high-reward kind of move at this point, but I think you've got a solid chance that there will be some damned ancient vets when the snake swings back around that you can supplement with. De Haan - Braun though, yeesh. Your forward core is better suited to play defense at this point, which is distressing. I don't know what that team would look like.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Only reason I didn't snag Boedker with one of my earlier picks is that I didn't want my whole top 6 on expiring contracts next year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laderhan posted:

You have 40 million tied up in 6 players, I have no idea you're going to get under the cap.

Second pair defense anchored by Greg Zanon is how

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Guess what. I'm throwing a goddamn party, and you're all invited.

There'll be shooting!

"PULL!"

Lawn mower starting competitions!

vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

and uh some shirtless fat guy but I ain't posting that one. But yes. It's an Arty Party. C - Artem Anisimov from the Columbus Blue Jackets!

Wanted to hope he would fall because no one cares about columbus. He's so good (like all his points are ES so he's the ideal shutdown center). Eats big minutes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

The last forward drafted in the top 2 to not jump straight into the NHL was JVR in 2007. Before that Ryan in 2005.

Reinhart ranks in front of Stamkos, MacKinnon, and Seguin in PPG in his draft year. Bennett behind those three but ahead of Galcheynuk, RNH, EKane, Huberdeau, Duchene, Monahan, BRyan, and Landeskog. The top end of this draft was underrated imo. Those big four all look to be really good players.

Neither are technically in my top 6 in terms of ability (Benn/Landeskog/E.Kane/Ryan/Barkov/Couturier).

Eh, your team is still going to be helicopter as poo poo for at least 2 seasons. All those kids will get eaten alive until they get a few seasons in and pack on a few pounds, that's just the way it happens. Unless one of them happens to be Crosby 2.0. That said, even the wingers are young enough that it'll make for a goddamned scary team in like 5 years. Provided you can draft a defense to match (which, at this point, I am skeptical about. Defense is a harder breed to groom, and most of the surefire prime-aged players are off the table at this point.) Maybe you can bank on a mix of young'uns and vets with the intent of rotating out the old dudes for less old dudes, but that remains to be seen.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pat Clements posted:

Yeah Oduya played monstrously tough minutes very capably. So did Hjalmarsson, I think, though I'm pretty sure Oduya spent a little more time on the PK over the course of the year. And the best part was that a lot of Hawks fans thought Oduya took a step back this year :laffo:

Hjalmarsson spent 227 mins on the pk, and Oduya spent 163. I compared the poo poo out of these two when I made the Hjalmarsson pick and best I could tell they're more or less the same drat player with the exception of Hjalmarsson playing ~200 more minutes, being a few years younger, and having a longer contract. I'd gladly have taken Oduya if he fell.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laderhan posted:

Hey now, Marleau got selected in the first, Palat got selected in second, and Gormley got selected in the 5th. But yeah that Reimer was awful, but still think that Palat and Gormley picks were worse.

Again - just want to distance myself from that boat anchor. I may eat crow next season but for right now... yeesh.
(Zibanejad was me though...)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had no idea Bryan Bickell had so many agents and that they all are posting in the fantasy draft thread.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

Verv told me he wanted John Scott

Hugh Jessiman you mean? He needs some skill with that BBP™

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

To be honest I think Bieksa has been the best defenseman available for a while now

He was on my list but now I'm concerned that this is one of those sarcastic comments. The only knock I can really find against is that he is 33 and my team's compete window is like... his number of good seasons left away from opening.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sorry - you guys hit me right at the commute/dinner combo. The New York Rangers practically feel obligated to select

Jason Demers
Big, right-handed #3 Defenseman who had a spectacular year (maybe with some help from Vlasic, but who knows? Not me.) I like his age, his contract, the fancy stats all look good. I struggled on this one but I feel like it was the right choice to make.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Come back, cannon-man! I want to pick again tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Every team needs a little piece of poo poo that can score some goals. The Rangers' piece of poo poo will be a fan favorite, and brings some cup experience to the team.

Andrew Shaw
Youngest available 20-goal scorer (I think). He's pretty much a slightly bigger, more physical Brendan Gallagher (only I'm getting him 100 picks later). Did I mention he's 23 and has a 2-year contract at $2 million? And that he can play some spot center? I am liking the looks for this team in the future.

Palat - Stepan - Shaw
Kreider - Zibanejad -
---
---

Hjalmarsson - Green
- Demers
-
Lundqvist

• Locked thread