Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surebet posted:

i watched the first one and i got the second one somewhere

i really enjoy b movies for what they are, for example most of the troma entertainment movies are in my regular rotation

loving hell is atlas shrugged bad, like just 2 hours of awkward, loving bad acting based on a scenario apparently written by a 12 year old

i could barely suspend my disbelief, especially when it came to the train sub plot, where apparently the only way to see if your poo poo's safe to to throw a live train on it fully laden with passengers at a bajillion miles per hour. apparently engineering tests didn't exist in rand's time, and no one thought to update the story.

i too wish to live in a world where all forms of engineering are at best guesswork

node.js bridges are the way of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

tell them you're not gay

really shouldn't lie to the blood donation people even if it is a bullshit reason.

they don't want my blood because i spent more than a couple days in england before 1996 or whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

what's the reason for people being turned down for blood donations if they were in Europe prior to 1996? is it some residual disease remnant they're afraid of or something

O- club :toot:

no mad cow in the US and no way to test for prion diseases so they just exclude everyone from an area with mad cow disease before certain controls were put in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

congrats, youre winning at points that dont have any effect on my stated position

thats our :fishmech:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surebet posted:

one could argue that in fact, some bits of the challenger space shuttle made it to space

bits of the challenger made it to space many times

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i like how they call out "hobby lobby" as a ridiculous expense when its like the one thing listed that could be legit - theres tons of stuff you can use to jury rig preproduction stuff at hobby stores

or production stuff in their case i suppose

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

amazingly bfl actually made enough money that they could have actually made the products and could have made even more money that way

well. assuming they had anyone that knew any electrical engineering on staff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

"hey wouldn't it be funny if I got the site back? haha, too funny but do you think it would work?"

its a company asset, just ask them if they'll auction it or w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TVarmy posted:

now that the us government has said buttcoin, i feel the question this thread set out to resolve has been answered.

someone has said buttcoin, so it's time to put this thing to bed. close thread, and maybe shut down the forums for a bit and lay low so we don't go to jail for aiding the buttcoin wing of the criminal Butterfly Labs empire.

a court hasn't said buttcoin yet though so we should at least wait for that one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but you knew that BFL were scammers (you posted about it on your site) and you accepted their money. an attorney hunting money could make the argument that you knowingly took dirty money and might want it back.

maybe I'm paranoid, but I would be careful with what I admit to.

remember they had no idea who bought the site until the new owners edited the bfl articles and then went dark.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so theres no airport in porto grando which leads to the question: why would you make up that story

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats actually kinda creepy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surebet posted:

i get ragged on a lot by ~actual devs~ when i brag about the poo poo i do in vba,

they'd kill themselves if they had to actually do it instead of you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surebet posted:

from boredom?

i mean i thank our lord satan every day for his wisdom in imparting us the bounties that are excel and vba, but i did have to hit the thing with a wrench for a couple of hours trying to shove a json down it's throat

then again it allowed me to replace that data entry prick from accounts receivable with three fifths of what's left of an old laptop, so i guess i came out ahead

it's more I fire up the editor and think "oh right it's classic vb" and then get flashbacks of terrible vb 5 applications that have been hacked with for the last 20 years to do random things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

titaniumone posted:

im the redundant lanyard

lol if you don't take every lanyard you can get at conferences

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

brb stealing more cookies and wine from baker-hughes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Robawesome posted:

Desperate: How long to hold out / What would you do in my situation (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 41 minutes ago by whattodobtc
Hey guys,
Throwaway, for obvious reasons. I'm a regular in /r/pf, /r/bitcoin and /r/bitcoinmarkets but I chose to make this account because my girlfriend is a redditor too and I don't want to get any backlash by posting this on my main account.
For that reason I need to obfuscate some details of my story but I think you guys will understand. I'm in a pretty bad situation and I need some advice on how to proceed.
A few years ago I became in charge of my family's finances. One of my parents passed much earlier than expected. My remaining parent didn't understand anything about finance or investing so I naturally stepped in to take over things and try to plan something for our family so that we could be financially secure for at least 10 or 15 years, enough time for me to get to a position in my career where I could take care of everyone with my own income stream.
I started learning about trading, first with Forex. I was trading EURUSD and USDJPY primarily just with small amounts at first. Spent a lot of time on babypips.com learning technical analysis and how to extract as much value as possible from chart patterns. When I started I just used small amounts of money. My initial bankroll was $500. I ended up using too much leverage and blowing through my whole account because of some poorly time trades. Yes I know I should have used some common sense and not taken gigantic risks but I was just learning at the time. I worked at it a bit and started getting profitable. I would usually do my work late at night watching charts and drinking espressos, and there were several times that I took positions that netted me large profits so I'm confident that I've learned from my early mistakes.
Then about a year and a half ago I started hearing about bitcoin, and how it was getting more valuable. I started reading about the blockchain, and this technology that is going to revolutionize the way the world thinks about money. I was excited about it, truly. I knew in my heart that this was going to be gigantic. So I took a leap. I took about half of all the cash I had in my checking account and deposited it at Mt.Gox. I didn't use any of the inheritance money, just my own from my part time job while I was a college student.
Yeah. I know. Terrible idea in hindsight. I never got the money out before the whole thing collapsed. I wish I hadn't done it, but at the same time it wasn't a great deal of money to learn a lesson. That we can't just trust individual exchanges.
Anyway, I learned a lot during that experience. I spent a lot of time analyzing charts. I learned how to use MACD and RSI indicators. I started getting good at being able to time things and on paper (of course) I was making very good profits. It's a shame that I didn't cash out before the whole thing went to poo poo because I probably would have enough money to last atleast a few years.
Anyway, after Gox, I became really depressed but I still believed in bitcoin. I still thought it was going to be around for a very long time so I started looking for some more honest exchanges. I knew that what happened to me was just an unfortunate event that was unlikely to happen again. After all, Gox was being run by a pretty shady group.
After I picked myself back up, I decided to deposit some of the inheritance money in some legitimate exchanges. In total we had about $300k after medical bills and other issues from the settlement of the estate. It was sitting in a checking account until about April of this year. I decided to put in $50k into two exchanges to diversify my risk exposure. Half I put into bitfinex and the other half I put into bitstamp. I spent 7 to 10 hours a day trading.
The problem is that I've been taking mostly long positions. Every time the price drops 30 to 40 dollars I have been telling myself this is it -- this is the bottom and will take a position to make up for previous losses.
I cannot understand why this is happening. I made some serious money several times but for the past 6 months or so I have taken huge losses. After the initial 50k I deposited another 50k, and then after losing much of that, and determining (wrongly, I might add, but I don't think my analysis was wrong) that we were definitely at the bottom, I went on to deposit another 125k. So far I am down a lot. My average cost per bitcoin is around $623.
The losses just keep compounding. I don't know what to do. I'm getting incredibly desperate and sallow. I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my family. They know very little about bitcoin, but I have mentioned it on occasion and how I'm an enthusiast. I've even sent my sister and cousins some bitcoin to get them started. But now I'm worried that maybe this isn't going to work out. Every day I get out of bed and dread looking at the price of bitcoin. Because I know its going to translate into losses on the positions I've taken. I have tried really hard to avoid looking at the price but at this point I cannot take it any more.
I'm just looking for a reason, any reason, to believe that things are going to get better. So far I've lost a lot of the estate money and I'll do anything to get it back. But I'm getting to the point where I feel like I might need to get to grips with reality and just cut my losses, admit to my family what I did and try to make it up to them.
So I ask of you, please convince me one way or another (with some solid reasoning) to either sell all the coins I have on margin right now or just hold fast and weather this storm.
Thanks

I think I saw this dude at the roulette table a few nights ago. hit a few numbers and had a giant stack of chips... which he proceeded to quickly give back to the house on the same loving numbers

I of course was drinking and playing craps with some coworkers because that poo poo is fun with a lot of people you know and no expectation of getting money back

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

if i accounted for all the money i spent i wouldn't make a profit so i don't :-)

-twitter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

done

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/meet-the-board

i've got a backlog to work through today

Shouldn't it be:

quote:

Bitcoin Stu
“Did you know that bitcoin sales were up 400% for the year ending 2013? If these trends continue… AAY!”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

pretty sure this isn't going to work, ulbricht

edit: ah, all they did was figure out that the CAPTCHA data was coming from a non-anonymous server (unlike everything else about silk road, which was run through Tor), i don't see how that's really hacking at all

all they did was read the buttcoin article about how the homegrown captcha data was hosted on ulbrich's server and not run through tor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

How the hell did he get elected? I have not seen one person say anything remotely positive about him

the only thing we hate more than harper is the people's front of judea!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

source your quotes

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1704519
http://blogs.tech-recipes.com/davak/2005/11/03/advice-in-forums-turns-into-real-life-shooting/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

galtse, the only thing worse than goatse

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

luke-jr is using the julian calendar in a previous comment so no

bitcoiners can't even keep up a good gimmick

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

gently caress your tonal numbers. here check out this motion to dismiss filed 10/10 http://ia902308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.81.0.pdf

was a real lawyer person paid to write that sentence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Our Federal Trade Commission, no doubt well-intentioned, has strayed from its mission (and apparently its core values) in its campaign to destroy BF Labs Inc.1 Its actions here can only be described as Kafkaesque.2

1 “Campaign” and “destroy” are not overstatements:
“At FTC’s Request, Court Halts Bogus Bitcoin Mining Operation.”
“We often see that when a new and little-understood opportunity like Bitcoin presents itself, scammers will find ways to capitalize on the public’s excitement and interest,” said Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “We’re pleased the court granted our request to halt this operation, and we look forward to putting the company’s ill-gotten gains back in the hands of consumers.” FTC Press Release (Sept. 23, 2014), available at http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/09/ftcs-request-court-halts-bogus-bitcoin- mining-operation (last visited Oct. 10, 2014).
Only six days after this press release issued, the FTC agreed that BF Labs could reopen its doors for limited operations. Doc. 54.
2 “From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.” – Franz Kafka, The Trial.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no you see they're in a trial and kafka wrote "the trial" therefore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that court filing is a giant comedy mine:

quote:

The quoted statements, standing alone, are precisely the sort of statements that, in the developmental-technology context, courts have held are neither material nor misleading as a matter of law. In Borow, for example, a company called nVIEW issued a series of press releases announcing and then revising anticipated release and delivery dates for two new LCD technology products. 829 F. Supp. at 833. In an initial announcement dated December 17, 1991, nVIEW stated that it hoped to have one product, nSIGHT, on the market by January 1992 and the other product, nLIGHTEN, on the market sometime thereafter. Id. at 834. In February 1992, nNVIEW revised the delivery dates to the first quarter for nSIGHT and the second quarter for nLIGHTEN. Id. Similar revisionary statements were subsequently made. Id. Then, on May 28, 1992, a press release revised the nSIGHT delivery date to “late spring or early summer” the nLIGHTEN delivery date to “the third quarter.” Id.

Investors who purchased nVIEW stock between December 1991 and July 1992 in purported reliance on these statements sued nVIEW for securities fraud, alleging that the shipment and production dates were materially misleading. Id. at 833-35.10 The Borow court dismissed the claim outright, holding that the representations amounted to “puffery” and thus lacked materiality as a matter of law. Id. at 835. The Borow court further stated that “[e]specially where, as here, a product is understood to be in development, plaintiff may not assert merely that, because the project did not come out when projected, plans for an earlier release were false.” Id. at 834 (emphasis added).

10 The securities-fraud context is a solid analogue in some respects to the context presented here. Actionable securities fraud claims are subject, for example, to a “materially misleading” standard just like the FTC Act standard at issue here. And to successfully assert a securities fraud claim, one has to have invested money as a result of a materially misleading statement. Similarly here, the FTC alleges that persons preordered bitcoin-mining equipment as the result of BF Labs’ allegedly material representations.

what does that have to do with this case? nothing. ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! it makes no sense!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

is there any analysis from real lawyers yet? i'm not smart enough to laff at this

you don't need to be a lawyer

quote:

Standing alone, the particular representations cited by Plaintiff’s Complaint – that “product delivery is scheduled” or that “machines should be delivered by ‘the end of the year’” or that mining services would begin in the “March 2014 time frame” – are simply not material or misleading as a matter of law. Perhaps recognizing this shortcoming, Plaintiff argued in its TRO motion papers that, even though BF Labs couched its projections in qualifying language, the “net impression” of BF Labs’ representations was misleading. See Doc. 8, p. 32. But even the selective exhibits that Plaintiff attached to its TRO papers don’t support this conclusion.

The BF Labs website pages attached to Plaintiff’s TRO pleadings instead show a pattern of consistently updated shipping projections, increasingly detailed production updates, and day- by-day shipping updates.

:allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

and in even worse news tibane thecat has been kicked off the bitcoin foundation

is there an opening at the buttcoin foundation?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

There's a guy going nuts digging up dirt on BFL.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.8360

Gleb Gamow is an alt account of our old friend Phinnaeus Gage.

Here's a thread he crafted back in August.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=274997.0

quote:

When Ars asked Ghosieri about Sonny Vleisides’ criminal record, he seemed to dismiss it.

“The convention of mail fraud, it’s governmental stuff,” he said. “It’s difficult to explain. Governments actually take action against people for different reasons. It’s not crime always. Certain things like mail fraud, money laundering—[they are] standard [ways] to attack someone. When the government attacks you, and if there’s a point where they’re wrong, there’s no way that they will back off. Backing off means that you would open the door against the government. So the way it works is you always have to agree to some minor thing just to make sure that the government doesn’t end up being wrong.”

Both Ownby and Ghosieri said that Butterfly Labs originally was founded in 2010 to manufacture FPGA hardware to conduct “stochastic analysis and Monte Carlo analysis” for banks, but the company soon pivoted toward selling Bitcoin miners.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

hilarious.

what kind of idiot pays pre-pays for an industrial machine?

also what kind of libertarian complains about paying a $2k tariff on a $25k piece of equipment. since they're claiming to be importing it to BC with a 12% tax they probably lied on the declaration too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ps re the atm thing. my company sells a $20k or so piece of hardware

a month ago we had a customer that had a major field failure

i was on a plane the next morning

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

Hey jerks, I'm putting together another bitcoin law update thing, and I'm checking in so I don't duplicate efforts.

I'm looking at pirate's (trendon shaver) case, and there's a 2 hour audio recording of a July 14 hearing (different from the one I've posted before). Before I listen to 2 hours of this horseshit, has it been outted already? Have his case documents been outted? All of this is 100% public record viewable by anyone, scrubbed of private identifiers. So when I say outted, I mean taken the effort to pull it from PACER. I think you guys know he was fined $40m, but if buttcoin.org has all of the pdf's already posted then I don't need to look through them.

i don't recall anything interesting from pirate other than the judgement

go through all the bfl stuff, its hilarious without any legal training so it must be even crazier as an actual lawyer (especially the defense's response, jfc)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hmm i wonder if he thinks federal reserve policies create unsustainable bubbles :allears:

no they just pick up the pieces

though actually i suppose knowing the fed will pick up the pieces helps bubbles form?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

I wanna know how bitcoin doesn't save that one business owner on credit card fees. I'm sure it does, but I'd like to know the actual math/business/transactional process behind it so I can laugh more heartily

some redditor actually responded to this one!

quote:

Regardless, even at 0% Bitpay still has a cost for businesses. Staff training being the biggest one.
How many times here on /r/Bitcoin do you hear about someone going to a shop listed on coinmap only to find out the employee has no idea how to use Bitcoin. It's pretty drat often. Twice this week that I've read..
So you need to train all your employees how to transact in Bitcoin. This requires a group meeting, an instruction pamphlet, and probably 1-2 hours of the owners time.
So lets say it's 2 hours of the owners time, 1 hours of all ten employees time.
Lets say they all earn minimum wage, including the owner.
That's 12 hours * £6.50 = £78
He'll also need to buy an android tablet to run the bitpay software on, so that's another £89.99.
Now, lets say he pays the average card processing fee of 0.9%..
That means to save £167.99 in processing fees and recoup his investment he'd need to process ~£16,799 worth of Bitcoin transactions.
If he doesn't think there's ~£16,799 worth of custom to be attracted with Bitcoin, then there's no point accepting Bitcoin.
So there you go. That was todays lesson in business.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you really need to read all the butterfly labs stuff, if only because you should find it hilarious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

If shrem is being charged with a felony, and one of the winklevii did the same thing, why isn't one of them being charged too?

shrem is charged with money laundering not buying bitcoins

if you sold arcade tokens or tulips or whatever to someone at a drug market that exchanged tulips for drugs then it'd be the same thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Shrem's plea is about actions he took as CEO of BitInstant. The Winklevodes were investors in BitInstant, not corporate officers/staff.

I will be cross as two sticks if Shrem and Faiella avoid jail time entirely.

from a comedy standpoint i think the best thing would be if he got a suspended sentence or probation or whatever

then he'd be free to gently caress it all up by starting up another company and doing it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

got an invitation to the launch party for some friends' blockchain-based startup, sort of conflicted. would be great to see them and they're smart and nice and so forth, but I don't know if I can handle the Bitcoin community at interpersonal distance. I'm curious about the startup too, since one of them invented the hash cash stuff that Bitcoin is based on.

are there supplements I could take that would increase my tolerance for fiat-decrying self-delusion?

compromise and just send an iPad on a stick

• Locked thread