Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
There's going to be a speedrun of Space Station Silicon Valley this year, highlighting the main reason SGDQ is my favorite of the two. Weird, obscure N64 games are my lifeblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Fistful of Silence posted:

It's so good. I just hope even half the weirdness and charm comes through when being speedrun.

Now we just need a Rocket: Robot On Wheels speedrun and my life will be complete.

Some day I hope to see a full GDQ speedrun of Iggy's Wreckin' Balls. All tracks.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Is it me or is the quality of this stream way better than previous ones, just in terms of framerate and smoothness? Did they get better tech or something?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Internet Kraken posted:

This is breaking my brain.

Same. I could more readily accept someone hating Super Mario World than Yoshi's Island.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I am now primed for this trick to fail miserably

Don't worry. He'll make up for it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

DoubleDonut posted:

I see Trihex is playing in the hyperbolic time chamber

The only hyperbolic chamber I need is Twitch chat.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Grondoth posted:

When's Awful Games Done Quick? I don't see it and it's always the best block.

Have you seen what's up next?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Why is the any% of Sonic Boom 50 minutes? I thought you could glitch-jump over the whole game almost immediately.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ChibiSoma posted:

Nonstop Talking: The Video Game. Holy poo poo, shut up Sonic and not-Sonics! Is the game normally that chatty or is that because he's blazing through it so quick?

Yes, in the proud tradition of Sonic Heroes.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zorglorfian posted:

The Eggman Boss fight was pretty funny from what I saw. I hate Eggman's VA, though...

This game had at least one funny writer and several of the cutscenes are actually fun. All wasted on this game, though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sout posted:

BOUNCE PAD

bounce pad :geno:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Death Dealer posted:

It's not too surprising since there are a few games that you can save/load buffer for momentum. With only one QA tester I can see something weird like that getting through testing. :v:

I've heard they actually knew about the Knuckles infini-jump glitch prior to release, but :effort:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

homphgomph posted:

Weren't some of the game devs who worked on Sonic Boom former Naughty Dog devs?

Yes.

And the more I see of this game, the more I realize the term "former Naughty Dog devs" might have different connotations than I thought it did.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Parasara posted:

Alright Sonic Boom is poo poo but I am 1000% behind a snake in a loving mecha suit

When do we get Sonic vs. Earthworm Jim?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr E posted:

How do you make a game like that and only have 1 QA

Apparently, that was a lie. The reality is sadder.

Much sadder.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

theultimo posted:

If you havent seen this Shadow the Hedgehog run, you better like CHAOS CONTROL

Why is there no incentive to include the cutscenes? I hope we get to see some of them.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

HoneyBoy posted:

There's nothing cooler than seeing Shadow load a fresh magazine into his Uzi, imo

And then pump the barrel of it like a shotgun.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Ending on straight-up murder.

The edgiest hedgehog.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
$50 towards killing the Eggmans.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I really like Sonic Adventure 2. It's barely a Sonic game, but its fun on its own and the bizarre amount of secrets and hidden objects is always something I enjoy in a game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sout posted:

It's fun to make fun of Sonic fans but I can be put in my place for having played all the Kingdom Hearts games. What is wrong with me.

KH is returning this year with Birth By Sleep, which tbh I've never seen a run of.

On days like these, we are all 15.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This is really good music for watching Sonic Adventure gameplay.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Is this game running faster than the game normally does? I feel like enemy animations are faster, too.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

bucksmash posted:

good skills, awful social interaction

the perfect Sonic speedrun

I've seen worse. The worst are the runs where the runner is completely silent and his friend on the couch is just droning "This is harder than it looks. I know this looks easy, but it's really hard." for an hour.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

homphgomph posted:

Speaking of which, just about to crack open a beer myself, what's a good drinking game to play with GDQ?

Whenever they say "hype," choke on your drink in disgust.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dias posted:

Rebirth is a lot more "stable" as a speedrun game, what with seeds and Azazel and all.

Seeds? Azazel? Where's the fun in that?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"Shoutouts to the donkey community."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

victrix posted:

If they banned tshirts and jeans would everyone show up nude?

Nah. Hoodies and cargo pants.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dezinus posted:

so instead of sad cancer stories it's gonna be sad Iwata stories, huh?

Same thing. :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Didn't Iwata hate the DKC series?

That's Miyamoto.

Apparently he had a grudge against that game because it came out during the development of Yoshi's Island and everyone but him fell in love with the art style. For the entirety of Yoshi's Island's development, he had to fight off people wanting to change the art-style to pre-rendered CG like DKC.

He's since admitted the game isn't as bad as he used to say it was.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

UIApplication posted:

Did that do that thing that was all over the internet where you can pause-cancel to the ending in like 5 minutes

No, but there was plenty of that glitch. Turns out pause-canceling can break more than just Knuckles' jump-attack.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rorus Raz posted:

One of their games this years was Pac-Man 2, so it COULD piss off certain humorless companies.

I think pulling your sponsorship of a charity event over something so petty would be an infinitely worse PR move than having someone call your 20 year old game terrible.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dias posted:

That and using Silly lets you put in some games and categories that aren't bad but also wouldn't fit that well during the rest of the marathon. Like Roundabout, for instance!

I wouldn't call Space Station Silicon Valley a bad game, either. It's rough around the edges (read: buggy as hell), but it's very creative and perfectly playable.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

theultimo posted:

And its made by DMA design, so its a proto GTA in a sense.

I really wish Rockstar would make a new Space Station Silicon Valley.

As a kid, I followed the development of that game through numerous preview pieces in Nintendo Power, and the finished version was actually way cut down from what it was supposed to be. Animals were supposed to be able to transform and animal-specific AI was going to play a bigger role.

Craziest of all, there were originally plans to let you take parts from animal robots and attach them to other animal robots. Because of this, the animations in SSSV are actually procedurally-generated. It doesn't matter because the animals' shapes are static, but it's a holdover from the original design.

The final game was a proto-GTA. The original was basically going to be a proto-Spore.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SectumSempra posted:

why does it just look like he's playing shittily.

Because death-warping is a big part of the run, so half the run is spent ramming your face into obstacles.

It's...not the most impressive thing to watch.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Quest For Glory II posted:

The timer is ticking on when this guy accidentally drops a casual racist slur or rape joke

My money's on the latter.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The Quake Chat has shifted into full psychological analysis of this guy in an effort to determine why this is happening.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
How much do I donate to hear the rest of the story about his dad fighting bees?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

This is his last run, right? I didn't see anything else in the schedule.

I want this guy to come back to do one of those 5-hour Skyward Sword runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Quest For Glory II posted:

@koinu93 12s12 seconds ago @GamesDoneQuick People need to get over it. GPro is hilarious. Not sure why everyone is freaking out for him being himself.

@poeguyz 59s59 seconds ago @GamesDoneQuick gpro is doing great, im loving it. can we have more of this?

@conor3000 42s42 seconds ago @GamesDoneQuick There are complaints? IMO, there's nothing to be complained about.

@PatientRonin 1m1 minute ago @GamesDoneQuick The run and commentary are totally fine. Screw more censorship and rules.

Gamepro11 did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread