Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HMS Boromir posted:

DS2 doesn't have passwords, does it? You'd have to pick a god using that one ring to do that I think.
Yup, Kremmel 4 lyfe. But after a successful summon, both of you can remove the ring again, so you don't permanently waste a ring slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

I'm not really a fan of the ring matchmaking system in DaS2. Sure it lets people connect more easily with friends, but for me the main draw for co-op in the first game was that you never knew who you'd end up with and that made it exciting. New alliances were quickly made, we would explore, fight and hopefully ultimately survive the boss and then quickly praise the sun as we realise we would never see each other again.

In DaS2, if you're alone and decide to get a friend to go with you, 4 times out of 5 it would be some jerk who would disconnect immediately and then put a new summon sign on the ground, possibly because they want to co-op with another buttmuncher and not with you.
What? But if that guy only wanted to play with a certain person...why would they not use the ring?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

I popped back into Dark Souls 2 yesterday because of this LP (and also because I remembered that I hadn't finished it yet) and the death count on the statue is like, a little under three times higher than in the third video :stare:

Then again I'm on PC so that might affect things?
heh, "master race"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Steak Eater posted:

Actually this reminds me; Only one class in DS2 starts with a shield, and in return gets what is essentially not a weapon. It seems like the game was so intent on being hard that it didn't allow players to have an organic challenge at the beginning of the game, instead stacking the deck so as to essentially remove blocking for every other class. And, given the way that hitboxes function in this game, every other class loses a reliable means of self-defense. Also there's the brilliant decision of giving the Cleric a weapon they can't wield with their starting stats outside of 2-handing, which is only made marginally less loving stupid when you consider that only the Soldier or whatever class Geop picked gets to have a shield.

But hey at least you can buy a shield in town for the price of more souls than a newbie should have by the time they reach Majula!

...I'll stop if you want, because otherwise this sort of tangent might happen every time a dumb thing happens in the LP, and this wasn't even about a thing that HAPPENED per say.
Dunno if it's an unwelcome tangent, at least it's not a spoiler because it cannot happen to Geop at all. For myself, I started with the cleric, was indeed deeply disappointed at the weapon situation, then proceeded to immediately go "sure why not" at the Stone setting you upon an arduous path. Figuring it might lead to me getting invaded more often or something (which is actually not entirely wrong), instead...well, let's just say, I really like DS2 but man oh MAN was the start rough.

Though not as much as for the other blind LP going on right now where they missed the Emerald Herald for like three episodes. My buddy did, too, but I was there going "uh you should, maybe, you know...", so it's not completely uncommon. And the Estus Flask stone. Even the "but what about the Crimson Parma" argument above only applies if you know it's there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodborne is the worst souls game. :colbert:
It might be a bad Souls game, but it's certainly the best 'borne game :v:!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rodyle posted:

arguing that you can get used to playing DS with k+m is like arguing you can get used to playing a RTS with a pad: technically true but still ultimately futile
It depends on what you want from the game, no? If you want to be top of the PvP chain, then I might agree with you that trying to git reel gud using KB+M might be a fool's errand, though I've heard of crazier things. Just finishing the game, maybe getting all achievements even? Hell, why not. For DS and for RTS'.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Whamukars posted:

I suggest that you try to find a mace as soon as possible, it will be worth it.
I suggest that he find a Whip asap
Also six Caesti to fill all the weapon slots

[spoilers]the mail breaker is the best loving weapon in the game I swear to god[/spioler]

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There's a bunch of really low-res looking parts of the game. It's really apparent whenever you look at an area that is blocked off by a chest-high wall or something, so you cannot go there, it's the same floor as the rest of the castle/forest/whatever, but no decorations, no rubble or anything. Kinda jarring, yes. I only really noticed something quite as apparent in DS1 as you leave the Archives' prison: you overlook the garden with the Crystal Golems, but also a bunch of other foresty bits, and those you can't get to, and they look super bad. Of course, it'd kill the performance if they rendered that beautifully and every look at a distant area up to DS3 obviously uses low-poly models to simulate the "hey I was there three hours ago!" effect, but DS2 doesn't even have that effect, and it still looks terrible sometimes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I can't really blame people. Souls reward knowledge to such a degree that they can sometimes be straight-up unenjoyable if you don't learn/find a few early things. I remember how many people threw in the towel on DS1 when they kept going to the Catacombs or New Londo first instead of finding the way to the Undead Burg. People are probably afraid that any given new player will get frustrated and give up if they don't learn X fact right now.

Except that Geop a) beat Dark Souls and knows what he's in for, and b) has three people already doing that job.
Yeah but will they or won't they tell him that you haven't lived until you did a shield bash only run???

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scamtank posted:

so is there any actual sensible reason to use the broken thief sword for anything
It uses really little Stamina per swing, so if you're super into quick hits for whatever reason, you could buff it to hell and back and just R1 your way into some victories. As it also doesn't need many stats, this could "synergize" with said buff build that would put points in buff requirements instead. But no, really it is loving terrible.

Wiki says it's "good" for delivering Poison and Bleed, but there are weapons that do that and also deal some damage at the same time, and Bleed is also pretty bad in DS2.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Same, except mine was Try jog, fatty :smug:

Where's "horse" in the menu? I spent minutes looking for it at one point but couldn't find it...
horse is a body part

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Afaik, they originally wanted to have the journey to New Londo be the only way to remove Curse, then put the purging stones as objects you could buy early after too many playtesters complained or something. Regardless of if I do remember correctly or not, a big "cursed player goes here" sign is that you can hit the ghost enemies in New Londo perfectly well if you are cursed, though every sane player will of course use Transient Curses for that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Plunging attacks are inexplicably terrible in DS2, they only seem to connect half the time and then do poo poo damage. I found out very late that if you actually jump from the ledge above the enemy (while locked on), then press R2, you will do it more consistently and even get more damage out of it.

A way to get consistent plunging attacks out of a jump actually means...

MGlBlaze posted:

Also, Goonther has gotten our first look at Flame Salamanders. The way those things move and attack is loving ridiculous, but that little tunnel encounter doesn't really show you much since I don't think you can even get to it. Thankfully their bullshit is optional (unless they added them to other parts of the game in SOTFS... pray to your chosen deity they didn't), but bullshit is bullshit regardless.

Though I do love how casually your character opens doors when you're in a clearly dangerous location. Especially because, assuming I remember correctly, if you panic mash the action button in Dark Souls 2; that actually cancels the action. It's kind of silly.
...this is not only untrue, it were even wrong if you added "until way later". Also, in SotFS, you will actually have to experience that bullshit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think the biggest buff for Throwing Knives, at least for certain builds, is that they now scale (and well at that) with stats. Their poison variant are glued to my hotbar for PvP, great to punish healing and if you keep the hits up, you might even get the status in and then they're right hosed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

I hesitated using Witching Urns for the longest time because I was never certain of enemy resistances.
Then I hucked them at my latest Heide Knight. Still had to hit him a bit because Heide Knight, but two urns made them a lot less intimidating.

I have a hard time justifying more throwing knives though when I could buy 10 wood arrows for the same cost and I pretty much use them for the same purposes.
Well they don't weigh anything...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'm glad geop went up to the terrace to die anyways, maintaining karmic balance
It's an incredibly tough encounter if you don't do the smart thing (gj Geop) and pull them slowly to fight one by one; the two-handed sword wielders can be quite fast, have devastating combos and deal a surprisingly large amount of damage with a lot of their attacks, which can also be uninterruptible. Meanwhile, there's a spear guy in the mix and those are always the biggest dicks around. Later in the area, I suspect it's already been found and if not it's not a huge spoiler, there's an encounter just with a bunch of sword dudes, and it's far easier because you can bunch them up and make them react in the same way. Here? No such luck.

This encounter also wasn't there in vanilla, if that hasn't been said already. But the Estus Shard also wasn't there. The swooper has always been, though. And yes, his SotFS buddies are hardcoded to only stand up after you're done with the mysterious encounter Geop didn't see - the changes are sometimes mean and make the game tougher, but they tend to be not completely unfair. Like in the oft-discussed Forest example with all the dudes lying on the floor, they're more, but it's the player's fault if he activates more than two at a time. The firebomb thrower at the top also used to be a bowman, who deals less damage but is more accurate, changing the dynamic a lot. It's actually really interesting.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think DeS has a huge justification in all the stuff that was built around the body form/soul form status; not even Dark Souls (1)'s Humanity bonuses were close to as involved. At least from the stuff I gathered, haven't yet been able to play DeS. They really wanted helping/invading people be a Big Deal because it could give you your body back, and in order for that to be enticing, the penalty needed to be huge. Additionally, the whole world tendency thing depends heavily on dying - or not - in body form, another huge "don't you loving dare lose your body" incentive. Or even "do get it back but then die immediately to trigger Dark world tendency". Death has never mattered more than in DeS, and I think that's mostly due to the fact that they wanted to push their admittedly incredibly inventive online systems. I mean, world tendency is also an online thing, after all (with global shifts and such).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

"Feels right" depends very, very heavily on if you are the kind of guy who treats Vigor like a dump stat or someone who doesn't leave Firelink without at least 30 points in it, and a bunch of other factors. Shield user yes/no? Did you know about Adaptability in DS2? Did you even, like me, change grudgingly away from "low vigor but greatshield" in DS1 to "I guess hitting the vigor softcap midgame DOES make things easier" in DS3? It's honestly kind of a moot argument.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MGlBlaze posted:

I hated the World Tendency system, personally. Especially because it reset to +1 White every time you turned the game off unless it was a special event, which was infuriating. Pure Black you could get by using stones of Ephemeral Eyes and suicide a bunch, but white world tendency was a whole lot harder to get. I think the only things that pushed World Tendency to white were killing bosses (limited supply) and I think maybe killing an invading black phantom?

There were killing pure-black specific NPCs but the problem there is that it requires you to already be in pure black world tendency.

I mean it had its moments, but it generally just put up a pretty annoying barrier to getting and/or seeing everything.
Oh, I fully agree that it's terrible! Just closely linked to all the other systems in the game. It's rather elegant in its design, I think, but suffers a lot overall from one big problem: it really depends on people actually using the Online features, all of them. This is also something that DS2 has trouble with, incidentally (keeping it vague on purpose).

Junkozeyne posted:

What most people also either forget or didn't know, Soul form it Demon's Souls had advantages dependent on character and world tendency. At pure white world and character tendency you did 40% more damage. In ng+ and further I often preferred to be in soul form only to kill everything faster.
See, I didn't even know that, and I read up a lot about DeS because I think it's fascinating as hell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

its random. i got both.
Every episode has like three "did they change this for Scholar???" questions. It's usually answered with "no" - game mechanics are largely the same, though some things got changed with patches (damage numbers and poo poo). Scholar changes enemy and item placements as well as some key story points, though that is also not exactly true because the patch to "prepare" players for Scholar added that to the base game, too. Scholar is still a different game than vanilla, though, not an upgrade (which also tends to confuse people).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

Are you sure that's true of anything other than the necromancers? I'm pretty sure you're not guaranteed a full set of Gargoyle gear or a Fang Boar Helm, though apparently that's true of the Symbol of Avarice.
It absolutely is true for both gargoyles and boars. You WILL get halberd, shield AND helm from the last 'goyle in Anor Londo if you don't have them already, though you WILL miss the axe if you don't cut off the tails.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Scribe13 posted:

In regards to the respawn of enemies in DS2, I don't really care for it. It may sound odd, but I tend to like the constant fighting is DS1 and DeS. Continually fighting the same enemies eventually gave me a sense of mastery over that enemy type, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if I had to run a section on my way back to the boss. In a later section of the game, there's an enemy type that I always had a difficult time beating, so once it went away I never felt that I got a good enough understanding on how to deal with it.

And I tend to enjoy grinding on the whole. So there's that.

Edit: Also, one of the later sets that Maughlin sells is my favorite set in this game.
I have entirely stopped fighting enemies on boss runs whenever possible, and a lot of the boss runs in DS2 actually allow for that (not all, I am aware). Not that I realized that at first (maybe not during my entire first run), but there's a lot of tricks you can pull rather easily to avoid getting knocked out of the fog wall animation, and it saves you so much headache.

I would also catiously like to mention that there is one way with a heavy cost to allow for more grinding if you really want to (a way that is woven sometimes subtly, sometimes overtly into many of the game's design decisions), and that they patched in another, less costly way a while back. So I'm pretty sure they did never want the player to stop grinding, just discourage it heavily. If someone is really dedicated to get this or that weapon or armor set, the two ways won't really hinder them much anyway; that ship has sailed a long time ago. Everyone else just struggling should by all accounts appreciate enemies' disappearance. Though I do admit that when I first noticed it, it did feel like the game taking pity on me. Then it almost never happened again because Forest is rough, man :v:. Until way later when I did encounter a boss run I couldn't just dodge through...and struggled. Hard. Then I really appreciated it myself.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm surprised at all the praise for the mace when the same guy sells the rapier. It does more damage at much less stamina cost with a better moveset against all but a few enemies. The disadvantages are poor poise damage and that you have to be consistently getting counter hits, but most enemies have huge windows after they attack during which you get the extra damage. The humble spear should also not be overlooked, since it has an amazing moveset and the R2s deal strike damage for those times when it's super helpful. If you want to go for strength, the estoc does much less damage than the rapier, but is longer, scales off strength, does more poise damage and has a much better moveset.
All weapons sold by Lenigrast are fantastic, the Mace is just the simplest easy mode from the get-go. Rapier mulches everything with a little set-up and certainly more raw DPS (that's why speedrunners use it after all), but if you just want to R1 things into oblivions right away, Mace can't be beat. Except by the Club, maybe, that's also pretty great for the same reasons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't have Scholar so I beat the first Heide Knight I found two-handing my mace with my Cleric start in the Forest of Giants and lucked out when he dropped his sword so I've been using that since.
That's a guaranteed drop in vanilla. All the Heide Knights it has are in fixed locations, non-respawning, and drop their weapons on death. Starting NG+, they also have a chance to drop part of their armor set. No, they still don't respawn, why do you ask?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm actually pretty sure you actually can't hit pharros invisible walls without using a lockstone.
You 100% need the Lockstone. It's actually super dumb that you will probably encounter this one way before an actual illusory wall that's at least somewhat obvious, because it led to me banging on every suspicious wall - even ones which actually were illusory - until I finally caved and looked up if the game even had non-Pharros walls. It's not only strange that they changed their activation from roll through them/hit them, the game actively teaches you to hit walls to open them, just, you know, not all of them. There's even another "hit to open" wall later (which is semi-obvious from its texture) to further cement that in DS2, you also only have to hit walls to open them :downs:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Could you roll through illusionary walls in DkS instead of hitting them? I know that is A Thing in DS3, but I was not aware of it until recently.
I Tried Rolling in DS3 because I saw people do it in DS1 (never realized it myself), so I'm pretty sure that yes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

The only drops I've ever got while phantoming were life gems. Scholar btw.
This is true except for some special areas in the DLCs. Still a great way to stock up and boost yourself when struggling early on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Right, so on the Human Effigy thing.

Expanding on what Vicas said. In the original release, you could be invaded anywhere at any time, regardless of whether you're human or hollowed, unlike Dark Souls (where killing the area boss and/or being hollow prevents invasions). You could burn a human effigy at a bonfire to prevent invasions for 30 minutes or so, and I think you got a 30 minute grace period after killing a boss or being invaded (which reset if you changed areas or quit & reload the game).

In one of the later patches--which may have been the "Scholar" patch for the original version (changed everything but enemy/item placement)--From rigged it up so that killing an area boss automatically applies a permanent human effigy effect at the related bonfire(s), making it work like Dark Souls. However, if you really want people to be able to invade, you can use the option "Nullify human effigy effect" at the bonfire to cancel it (permanently) and allow invasions again.
No, the patch just made it so that it auto-burns an Effigy at the Bonfire, you will still see the timer ticking down (this does not cost you an Effigy, of course). As far as I know, there was no such protection in the original release at all, which is why they added in the (temporary) auto-Effigy effect after bosskill.

"Temporary" being here in huge quotes because Forest of the Fallen Giants and Heide are a huge outliers: usually an area has one boss at its end, so you're highly unlikely to explore the area for more than 30 minutes in total after killing the boss.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

It's really weird, you wouldn't think adding 0.0333 seconds to your invincibility timer while rolling would help too much, but it does.
It's easier to grasp if you think in fractions - with a bit more agility, you go from being invincible during one fourth of the enemy's hurtbox being there to one third or something like that. As that also calculates in frames, the orders of magnitudes are the same.

EDIT:

Kuvo posted:

fair game
you suck, git gud, loser

EDITē: I bet you haven't even tried jumping

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Pursuer Experience is vastly improved by only calling him "Percy".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Garrand posted:

Doesn't it give you like 3 different messages asking if you are sure you want to join? Or were those added in later?
It does say "This will put you down an arduous path, do you really wanna?", but I thought I'd get invaded more often or something, or maybe get Gravelord Phantoms or whatever, which I was totally cool with, not "literally everything is harder now also no summons". Serves me right for assuming things, I guess :v:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There's an incredibly sneaky hidden door in this area, I think in the ground floor of Gavlan's house. There were a few messages in front. I didn't know about that one for like three playthrough.

Paracelsus posted:

From put in a bunch of warnings, and players still don't bother to read them. It seems like half the time new players complain about the game being impossibly hard it turns out they joined the CoC.
I can read very well, I just assumed (which you should never do, granted) that joining the Covenant would get me invaded more often or something like that, not increase the difficulty of everything. Just not something I expected Dark Souls to do. Funny thing is, you will get invaded more often in the CoC, it just also carries the other hard mode things with it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Those Ninjas have a cool and unique armor set, of which the gloves increase build-up (the only gloves to do so!), and TWO different weapons, it's insane. The original way of farming them was a nightmare. Still too low droprates :argh:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

Not sure why some people hate Lost Bastille, I thought it was one of the better made and more memorable areas in the game.
It owns, I always love exploring it on every playthrough. I do admit that it's not one of the more memorable looking areas at first glance; after the castle ruins of Forest, it is after all just a slightly less ruined and more darker castle. Also, the area it leads to is kind of a shitshow (without looking much different), so that might sour people on everything. Oh, and the optional area is also not to everyone's taste, I guess.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Percy waving hello again in the Bastille is the best thing Scholar added.

He does indeed gently caress off when you run away too far; I suspect he didn't spawn at first because Geop went out of the tower, Percy spawned, then Geop went into the tower again to lure the dogs in, and off-screen, Percy said gently caress that noise. They very probably did that because the areas he shows up in were not designed as boss arenas, so you could easily go, for example, into the tower and cheese him from there. Instead he fucks off.

It's a little weird that going off the grass does the same but oh well.

Nuramor posted:

Because she didn't have a weird old lady tell her how they work?
She explicitly says she has no idea what an Effigy does. Goonther can't tell her because he's mute. It's tragic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

I'm pretty sure, depending on how you enter the Bastille and whether you figure out/don't screw up the barrel thing, you can end up trapped with no way out save homeward bones or suicide by gravity. It is a contender for dickiest statue addition, definitely.
I think coming in from the other way gives you a branch now, actually.

It is actually possible to open the "doesn't open from this side" door - you can apparently shoot the barrels blocking it from outside the tower. Never done it (because it is pretty pointless), but seen a video.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Because i didn't find anywhere else to ask: Is there still a Dark Souls 2 or Dark Souls general thread? I can see DS3's.
It's a good and chill thread, especially for Games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Someone said "huh I never noticed or got that item you can see if you look up from the cracked wall that the barrel needs to roll into" earlier. Well, in case they're still wondering...this is how you get it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Please stop telling Geop to press A on walls, I get a chuckle every time he bonks his mace against one.
I know someone else who got a good chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure he means the fact that if you go up the giant stone sword again, Percy spawns behind you now. It's a really loving tough encounters seeing as you really can't dodge - it's parry or bust.

• Locked thread