Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Welcome to the Creative Convention project index megathread!

The purpose of this thread is to create a central place for people to link individual project threads so that we can all benefit from consistent mutual critique.

The OP will also function as a repository of ongoing megathreads and resources.

Who can add links to this thread?

Anyone who has an active project thread in Creative Convention or the Dorkroom. That could be a short story or excerpt you're working on, a webcomic, a sculpture, a paludarium, or anything else you might conceivably post a standalone thread about in Creative Convention.

Should I bookmark this thread??

Yes!

One recurring challenge in Creative Convention is getting people to read outside of their bookmarked threads. The proposed solution was to create a project index thread so people would have a bookmarkable resource for new projects and undertakings.

General guidelines

• While some discussion in this thread is fine, please take any feedback to the creator's thread so it's easier for them to keep track of.
  • Don't use this thread to link to posts in a megathread. If you want to link to a story you wrote for Thunderdome, for example, you would make your own thread, then link it here.
  • Don't post projects directly in this thread. Post a brief description and a link to your project OP.

:eng101:Resources:eng101:

Please read any rules posted in the thread OPs and get a sense for the general vibe. The threads linked in this part of the post are either long-running or recently active. I omitted some threads due to low activity, or no recent activity.

Ongoing/recurring threads (grouped roughly by discipline):

Post your visual arts:

Daily Drawings and Doodles - An ongoing, all-levels thread that accepts all drawing mediums. Some critique to be expected.
Artdome - A casual visual arts contest thread with rotating judges and prompts.
The Traditional Art thread - An ongoing, focused thread for feedback on art made in traditional mediums.
The Digital Art thread - An ongoing, focused thread for feedback on digital art.
The Pixel-Art Megathread - An ongoing, focused thread for feedback on pixel art.
The 3DCG Thread - An ongoing, focused thread for feedback on computer generated 3D art.
The Fanart Thread - An ongoing, all-levels thread for fanart!

Find visual art resources:

Wacom Tablet Users - Digital Art Tools - Give and receive advice about all things relating to digital drawing tablets.
The Business of Art - General industry advice for a variety of mediums.
Work for Hire/Freelance Job thread - Sell your art, hire someone to make you art.

Post your writing:

Fiction Farm to Table - Exchange critiques on short stories or excerpts of longer works.
The Flash Fiction Thunderdome - An ongoing weekly short fiction contest.
The Long Walk toxx thread - :toxx: to meet your writing goals on a monthly basis.

Find writing resources:

The Fiction Advice Thread - Give and receive fiction writing advice. Vent about how writing is bad.
Self-Publishing Goons - Industry discussion for writers who publish their work independently.

Post your photos (Dorkroom links):

Low Effort Terrible Photo Dump - Post casual photos. NO CRITIQUE.
Photo a Day - An ongoing, all-levels thread for photography sharing and critique.
Cell Phone Photography - An ongoing, all-levels thread for cellphone photography.

Find photography resources:

The Dorkroom has a lot of specialized threads covering most aspects of photography.

The audio arts:

Voice Acting Megathread - Discuss voice acting craft, industry, and gear.
Who else podcasts? - Discuss podcasts, promote yours. Related: The "pimp your podcast" thread in Rapidly Going Deaf.

Film, video, and animation:

The Animation Megathread - Share animation projects, discuss the craft of animation.
The Cinematography Thread - Discuss film production, film gear, and film technique.
Film & Video editing/Post-production - Discuss video editing and post-production hardware/software.
VJing - Discuss video arts in the context of live performance.

Other craft-specific resources:

Making Comics - Share your comics, discuss the craft of comic creation.
Comedian Thread - Discuss the craft and industry of stand-up comedy.

General CC Community resources:

Creative Chat Thread - Shoot the poo poo with your fellow creatives!
Stupid Little Questions - All-purpose thread for quick creative questions (all disciplines).
Post Creative Resources - All purpose thread for links to online creative resources.
Year-long gift and card exchange - Goons mail each other cards and other nice things all year :kimchi:
*New*The CC Commission repository - This is a place for artists and other to post their portfolios and start conversations about commissions. It's also for goons to request forums art.

Please let me know if there is anything I can add to the OP to make it more helpful! I'm totally open to ideas to increase critique and dialog between creators.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Nice thread! I appreciate the work you put into it.

For my part I'm almost done with the first chapter of a webcomic called John Doe about two nerds with amnesia trapped in a computer simulation. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil the surprise! I'm updating every other week or so as I have the time to work on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945561

this is a fascinating thread analysing an AI writing a story. i'd be really interested in other peoples thoughts on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945369

this is a long and technically competent story doing an "advertising bad" riff, I thought it needed some more story juice to go with the well-drawn setting but would value other peoples' thoughts - am I being too harsh?

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Hello! Sitting Here was kind enough to link it in the OP (very sweet of them :kimchi: ) but here's my link to my paludarium build. You know how a terrarium is basically a box of land and an aquarium is a box of water? A paludarium is the bastard hybrid child that incorporates both. Perfect if you like amphibians, although they can 100% stand on their own as art without inhabitants. (often more easily, actually)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936845

I'm incorporating miniatures in mine too to turn it into a sort of fantasy dreamscape. This one is going to be a remote riparian scape incorporating a temple to a pair of vicious pale river-gods (aka my cute and kinda dopey aquatic frogs). Ideas for future builds include "Jurassic Park except with a cane toad instead of a T Rex," and "80s B-movie where random army men get lost in a hostile jungle with giant creatures when their vehicle breaks down." Check it out if that's the kind of thing you're into!

:frogc00l:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Axqu posted:

Hello! Sitting Here was kind enough to link it in the OP (very sweet of them :kimchi: ) but here's my link to my paludarium build. You know how a terrarium is basically a box of land and an aquarium is a box of water? A paludarium is the bastard hybrid child that incorporates both. Perfect if you like amphibians, although they can 100% stand on their own as art without inhabitants. (often more easily, actually)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936845

I'm incorporating miniatures in mine too to turn it into a sort of fantasy dreamscape. This one is going to be a remote riparian scape incorporating a temple to a pair of vicious pale river-gods (aka my cute and kinda dopey aquatic frogs). Ideas for future builds include "Jurassic Park except with a cane toad instead of a T Rex," and "80s B-movie where random army men get lost in a hostile jungle with giant creatures when their vehicle breaks down." Check it out if that's the kind of thing you're into!

:frogc00l:

This is a really cool project!

Please post more frog pics btw I love those little guys.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Good thread. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep a track of which threads are which.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello project thread! Came in to post a few NaNoWriMo related fiction writing threads that exist:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944117
- this one's mine, about rewriting an awful action/adventure fantasy series by Sharon Green

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878064
- this one is a Diablo related fanfic with a necromancer's golem as the main POV character

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952838
- a recent one, posted after NaNoWriMo, it's a murder mystery/detective procedural in an alternate Earth universe with psychic humanoid non-humans called sleepers/nocturnums

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
This year I'm going to do Script Frenzy (NaNoWriMo, but for scripts)! Come and join me in the Script Frenzy thread if you've ever wanted to write a script of some sort.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
There's a new Dorkroom thread for casual photo posting. The Photo a Day thread still applies if you're seeking critique, but discussion is welcome in the low effort thread too. Here's the link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962267

We still have monthly photo contest threads and a new ongoing thread where a photo is posted and then we do different takes on post-processing. I'm not sure if this makes sense to share here, but there's also a thread to find each other on Instagram:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757334

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sleepytime posted:

There's a new Dorkroom thread for casual photo posting. The Photo a Day thread still applies if you're seeking critique, but discussion is welcome in the low effort thread too. Here's the link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962267

We still have monthly photo contest threads and a new ongoing thread where a photo is posted and then we do different takes on post-processing. I'm not sure if this makes sense to share here, but there's also a thread to find each other on Instagram:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757334

Thank you! I need to get on top up keeping this thread more up to date now that I have a human schedule again (as of literally yesterday). I will update this and other things over the next couple days.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
PSA: Based on a discussion with some folks, I made a place where people can post their work for goons to peruse and hopefully commission projects. The other purpose of the thread, and the thing that prompted me to ask people about it, was that I would like a place to point goons who would like to request forums art (like gang tags, avs, banners--things specific to SA). No one has to accept such a request, but at least I would have a central place to point people. Anyway here is the link, hopefully this is in some way useful to someone!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964463

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have a real website for the comic now! :toot:

https://tapas.io/series/John-Doe

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I just noticed Morning Bell's lonely yet good thread about Newsletters!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don't have an active project thread for this but hope it's ok to post this here incase anyone is still around.

I've been working on the Qanon question a fair bit over the last 2-3 years. I published about 6-7 articles, looking at it from different angles and perspectives. One of which was the first to really lay out the network behind it and got 250K views. The last one, which I published in november 2021 and felt really tied all of them together, only got about 20K.

Since then I've basically left it and taken a nice big break, and I don't know about anyone else, but there's nothing like giving yourself time to come back and look at something with fresh eyes. Because on going over the last one again, I'm not actually very happy with the writing. Basically when I first published it I think I was tired, and rushed, and too close to it all. I wanted to tell the whole story, but keep it as brief as possible, and keep the read time under 60 minutes. So I would let one sentence, or even a single hyperlinked word, do the work of a short paragraph. And I was relying on a lot of assumed knowledge. And I think it suffered for it.

But since then I'm more inclined to think gently caress it, if we're going to do it we may as well tell the whole story properly. Give it some space to breathe. So I'm giving it a do over (currently up to the Pizzagate part), and if anyone felt so inclined I'd love to have some input on any of the writing in any of the paragraphs. I'm not looking for discussion of the merits of the argument or the theory, just the prose and the way it all flows and fits together.

"Why the World's Gone Mad"

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I don't have an active project thread for this but hope it's ok to post this here incase anyone is still around.

I've been working on the Qanon question a fair bit over the last 2-3 years. I published about 6-7 articles, looking at it from different angles and perspectives. One of which was the first to really lay out the network behind it and got 250K views. The last one, which I published in november 2021 and felt really tied all of them together, only got about 20K.

Since then I've basically left it and taken a nice big break, and I don't know about anyone else, but there's nothing like giving yourself time to come back and look at something with fresh eyes. Because on going over the last one again, I'm not actually very happy with the writing. Basically when I first published it I think I was tired, and rushed, and too close to it all. I wanted to tell the whole story, but keep it as brief as possible, and keep the read time under 60 minutes. So I would let one sentence, or even a single hyperlinked word, do the work of a short paragraph. And I was relying on a lot of assumed knowledge. And I think it suffered for it.

But since then I'm more inclined to think gently caress it, if we're going to do it we may as well tell the whole story properly. Give it some space to breathe. So I'm giving it a do over (currently up to the Pizzagate part), and if anyone felt so inclined I'd love to have some input on any of the writing in any of the paragraphs. I'm not looking for discussion of the merits of the argument or the theory, just the prose and the way it all flows and fits together.

"Why the World's Gone Mad"

I'll crosspost this to the fiction advice thread! While we mostly talk about fictional prose, what you seem to be asking for is some critique of the writing itself, which folks might be able to help with.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I posted a thread for the book I’m working on here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008761

It’s about halfway done. I’ll post updates when I get chapters written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I created a thread around 2D plotter art which felt like it could go in here or in hobbies. here's a link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048607