Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Perfect Element posted:

Is this why he's on VAR for the Liverpool match?

I know their kind all look alike, but they're different people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I like Dele Alli. He seems to be living his best life.

Speaking of Everton, I wonder if the other clubs staring down relegation are going to start suing. Their finances are pretty suspect. This piece goes into more detail.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/04/04/everton-could-face-court-battles-if-they-stay-in-premier-league-after-expert-view-on-sunday/

quote:

If it is subsequently found, this season or next, that the club has made too many allowances for themselves by claiming a huge number was due to Covid, there may be trouble ahead.

The University of Liverpool-based expert Kieran Maguire said on The Price of Football podcast that Everton say it cost them £170million, compared to Sheffield United who said their number was £21million, and Aston Villa’s Covid-losses of £56million.

Perhaps the Premier League accepts the numbers coming out of Goodison, but Dr Wilson admits that while all clubs will be offsetting losses to costs this way, “we have not seen it before on this scale”.

He said: “Nothing like this, but then Covid was unprecedented. The Premier League will have to decide what it is prepared to bear.

“They are going to be very fortunate if they do not get sanctioned because the losses are significant. It will be skin of the teeth stuff.”

If punishment eventually does come down, that could open the club up to the likes of Norwich and Watford coming after them, so the issue may not go away for considerable time.

Here's a link to the Esk, who I think is respected in Everton fan circles, doing a deep dive into Everton's recent financial disclosures: https://theesk.org/2022/04/02/a-deeper-delve-into-evertons-2020-21-accounts-new-100-million-shareholder-loan-plus-the-covid-impact/

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 6, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

As funny as Everton getting relegated might be, Burnley can't score and Watford seem to have too much ground to catch up on. Norwich are doomed and seem resigned to it. I think Everton will squeak this out. Not sure what is in store for them next season, though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

That assumes Burnley are going to win and I don't think they're going to win. At worst, they draw, since Burnley really just don't seem to be able to score goals.

Lampard has flaws, but I think he's at least roused enough fan positivity (which I think has been a major issue for Everton since Moyes' departure) to ride this out.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

smiling giraffe posted:

the most talented English footballer of your generation

I know there are reasons to rate Le Tissier, but isn't this a bit much?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

A lot of online City fans in the replies to that tweet are treating the time-barring of the UEFA charges to be the equivalent of exoneration. That’s very annoying.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jexner posted:

Good god i can't wait for Klopp to knock Pep out of three competitions.

That would be nice, but the odds aren't in favor of nice things happening.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

pik_d posted:

Thank you OP, it does make a lot more sense than having something out for City tbf. After all who would dislike Manchester City??

Me, the editor of Der Spiegel!!!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

That has to be Everton safe now. Don’t know how either Burnley or Watford make up enough ground to put them in real trouble.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Says more about Manchester tbh. Leeds coat of arms is some owls and a sheep, beloved by all

Owls are nocturnal predators. Problematic!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61029757

I thought this BBC piece on Ten Hag was a nice, balanced take on what he could bring and the problems he could have.

He seems young, full of energy and plays an attacking style. I can think of many obviously worse choices.

What I would "worry" about is that Man-U may be leaning on any new manager to fix issues that can only be fixed by a major reconfiguring of other parts of the club (like scouting/recruitment/transfer negotiations). Ferguson and Wenger were the last of the old school manager who could run everything as a single person and it doesn't look to me, from my ABU eyes, that Man-U has moved enough beyond that old way of doing things.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's not that United haven't moved beyond Ferguson's way of doing things, it's that they've put absolute incompetents into the positions that handle those various things.

Richard Arnold has pretty much a free run at making some form of success of Ten Hag's appointment, at least in the first season since the Glazers usually throw money around if the champions league isn't achieved. It's an absolute mountain of a job though to clear out half the squad and not only take care of the absolute lack of midfield recruitment but also replace the piss poor recruitment from previous managerial cycles. There is unquestionably no title run in the next 5 years at least and much is to be done to even be considered the 4th best team in the league.

Supposedly his agreement hinges on him having final say on transfers so I won't believe it until I see him in the dugout because I still half expect the Glazers to say "gently caress that" and pivot to Poch, immediately tossing him to the wolves when this lazy shitshow of a squad refuse to play his style too.

That's a fair point, but it takes time to find the right people. Minor improvements in structure and personnel help, but they might not be enough. I know the "Man-U are 90s-00s Liverpool right now," hot take is overdone, but it took a long time for Liverpool to get the necessary people on board. It wasn't like the wrong things were being done or certain people were totally out of their depth, but it didn't gel or people otherwise weren't quite good enough.

To be quite honest, I'm wondering how good certain people are looking right now because Klopp is Klopp and I'm sure something will go tits up after he leaves.

I guess I'm just curious how long it takes for Arnold to find all the right people.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 13, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sassassin posted:

There's no way Burnley get promoted playing Dycheball, so it's a free hit to get rid of him.

Didn't they do that twice?

I think this is down to the owners - who used an LBO setup to buy the club and are now caught in a situation they are completely unequipped for - being desperate for any kind of new manager bounce to keep them in the league. Things could get ugly for Burnley since the current owners seem unable to provide extra funding of their own.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

an_mutt posted:

me, being a huge superstitious weirdo, cannot help but recognise a 'Liverpool eating poo poo in all these campaigns' pattern to those first 3 seasons lol

edit: less so the 17/18 season, but even that ended with Kiev, Karius, and that Bale bicycle kick.

Thanks. I was in danger of feeling okay about the season.

At least Liverpool have already won a trophy this season?

And, Liverpool have eaten poo poo in plenty of other season too. :)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Mate of mine has a kyrgiakos liverpool shirt that he paid full price for. Was so sure he was going to be van dijk before van dijk

At least Kyrgiakos had some good moments.

I'm sure paying full price for a replica of a cult hero's kit is probably not what he intended, but it could have been worse. Lots of fans were pretty angst-ridden about what to do with their Torres jerseys.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I know internet fans are not representative of entire fanbases, but there's a lot of Man-U fan hatred for Maguire right now. I don't think he has a choice but to try to play his way out of it or otherwise outlast it, but as guy who played CB with somewhat similar limitations, I feel bad for the guy. It's not like United can sell him to someone at this stage without sustaining a financial loss that I don't think they're willing to take.

And it's not like he's the only bad player, but looking at his Twitter, he does seem to have some pretty tone-deaf PR managers/coaches right now.

And as far as criticizing Rangnick for the line-up, I believe he was constricted by injuries. I'm not sure if anyone could have put out a much better line-up and I'm sure he wasn't counting on Pogba not being able to last past the first half.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

I mean apparently Eric Bailly was healthy so not sure why he wasnt starting.

He has pace, but as TheRat said, I think people overrate Bailly because of his absence. I can understand not putting faith in the guy when he can barely stay fit.

Ideally, Liverpool/Man-U is not the match where you chuck in a guy who doesn't have match fitness.

TheRat, Ninpo and Others: what do think of Rangnick?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Utd will remain poo poo until the Glazers gently caress off and stop draining the club dry

I shudder to think how horrible transfer fees would be right now if Man-U wasn't restrained by the Glazers' self-dealing.

I admit numbers are useless without context, but over the past 10 years, Man-U have had a higher net spend than PSG or City.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/man-utd-city-and-psg-spend-over-1b-net-on-transfers-in-10-years

And that's just fees. I'm sure the numbers get even more mind-melting when you account for wages (although it's unlikely anyone can fully account for City's or PSG's off-books shenanigans).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

moyesy could and should make rashford great again imo

I want a red MRGA hat.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure what has happened to Rashford. I still think there's a really good player there. The situation with all the other parts of that club is certainly not helping.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 20, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

an_mutt posted:

He should* get a minimum of 2 summers/3 transfer windows, which is actually enough time to recruit all of this. If they give him enough time and control to navigate his first 12-18 months in charge then he should be able to make a lot of progress and start challenging at the top again.

Of course, this is post-Fergie Glazier-ran Manchester United we're talking about here. He'll have his £200m warchest spent from under him on a frequently-injured Harry Kane, a shrugging Paul Pogba for 2 more years and £500k a week, and a £120m+ post-World Cup Declan Rice in January (in an attempt to salvage top 4). This will be followed by Hopes & Prayers next summer before getting sacked for getting rinsed 4-0 by Spurs or something in November 2023.

2-3 windows sounds optimistic to me. Those would have to be perfect windows and even the most successful club regimes have some underperforming acquisitions, if not outright stinkers.

Then again, who knows? They're really not that far off from 4th place and given how a good Bruno Fernandes revitalized them the last time by himself, maybe one or two people who can raise the playing standard and morale could work wonders. I guess this would be like Suarez and Sturridge turning Rodgers' 2013-2014 Liverpool side into title challengers.

My experience though is that big windows where people are getting more than 3 new incoming players tend to turn into damp squibs. It's better to be patient even if the lack of incomings drive fans nuts.

sourdough posted:

Absolute weapon sounds like a badass compliment lol

Like a great thrash band from the 80s.

ABSOLUTE

W
E
A
P
O
N

Available at record stores everywhere!!!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TheRat posted:

Did he piss on a swiss street or something? this seems personal

I believe Oilwan hates Ajax and everyone and everything to do with Ajax.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

fat gay nonce posted:

Just a tip his name rhymes with fag :tipshat:

Ten Hagner.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Frank actually won that derby, by a lot!! Crooked PGMOL and the failing premier league are conspiring to keep talented managers down and promote critical richarlison theory to young football fans

Can someone please rename me Critical Richarlison Theory?

vyelkin posted:

also theoretically VAR is supposed to be to correct clear and obvious errors by the live ref and for once it actually worked the way it was supposed to in giving the benefit of the doubt to the ref's initial decision instead of poring over pixels for ten minutes to decide if this time there was actually a tiny bit of contact when the player went flying after feeling the slightest breeze

I do wonder if a big part of VAR angst is because the league hasn't explained very clearly to fans what it supposed to do and what it isn't. It's also counterintuitive that one "clear and obvious error" standard applies to most on-field calls, but then you get another "offside is offside no matter what, let's draw some lines on the screen" standard.

Don't most other leagues leave all decisions as "clear and obvious" error ones?

jesus WEP posted:

were everton in actual relegation danger when rafa was in charge? i can’t remember where they were exactly but it feels like they were like 13th and just having a disappointing season rather than being proper hosed

I think they had hit a horrific patch of form so fans were right to be concerned about relegation.

Benitez was doomed. Everton needed fan positivity and strong morale and instead Moshiri went with a guy that the fans were never going to be patient with.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The first day of training, Benitez was already undermining Everton by calling Lucas Digne “Puke-rear end Dung.”

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Didn’t Newcastle recently poach a widely-praised recruitment director from Brighton or something like that? I think their going to be less ridiculous with their purchases than we expect.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Just leave already. Wonderboy’s dad is such a whiner.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TheRat posted:

Pulisic just isn't anywhere good enough. International football is a lot slower/lower level than any top league/champions league is.

Shhh. Let us Americans live in our reality bubble.

There's a difference between being right and being nice.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

bewbies posted:

good enough to what? he's been good and productive in the prem and would have at least a squad role on any team in the league. he's not going to win any world player of the year awards and he isn't worth what they paid for him but he's not completely out of his depth

I think TheRat's actual point is that Pulisic is not as good as American fans complaining about Chelsea's treatment of him believe him to be. I think we all agree that it's not obvious that Pulisic "deserves" more playing time than Tuchel is currently giving him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

That feels like when Liverpool fans told me Minamino would do a job for Southampton when they loaned him to us.

Pulisic has been more productive for Chelsea than Minamino has been for Liverpool. I hate to admit it, but he's a better fit for the league than Taki is.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

”you can’t buy the club unless you have the money for it” seems like it would be not that hard to enforce but im just a simple lad who doesn’t know very much about big business

TheRat posted:

Nah you see leveraged buyouts are actually very good, because

LBOs are a scourge that should have disappeared with the 1980s, but western business practices are so tied around tactical use of debt that I don't think you could ever eradicate from business as a whole. It's really not good for any European soccer club though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sassassin posted:

We had around £60m falling due within 3 year when we went down (all future payments for poo poo players we'd bought, not financial funny business from our American owners). It's survivable if you sell everything not nailed down that first summer and have £40m worth of academy players ready to go.

You seemed to be run so well and then hit some massive wall. Was that on Laudrup or some board personnel switch?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sourdough posted:

Him scoring 100 goals in a season and city still not winning the champions league would be funny, and him utterly failing would also be funny, so I'm excited

What if he scores a ton of goals and wins everything, though? I hope you'll still be chuckling.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Seems unwise signing a striker with one leg shorter than the other

Is that why he didn't want Dortmund talking about his injuries?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Xabi posted:

Manchester City is one of the top commercial brands in the world so this definitely doesn’t break any FFP rules. Also, the CAS case proved that they don’t cook the books.

Having said that, I hope he flops big time.

When you get caught for something after the statute of limitations has run out, it means you never did it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

How many of these massive deals have been successful because of the top 10 highest transfers you could argue Lukaku, pogba, greaseman, dembele and bale have all been relative flops

According to Wikipedia...

1 Neymar - Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain
2 Kylian Mbappé - Monaco to Paris Saint-Germain
3 Philippe Coutinho - Liverpool to Barcelona
4 João Félix - Benfica to Atlético Madrid
5 Antoine Griezmann - Atlético Madrid to Barcelona
6 Jack Grealish - Aston Villa to Manchester City
7 Romelu Lukaku - Inter Milan to Chelsea
8 Ousmane Dembélé - Borussia Dortmund to Barcelona
9 Paul Pogba - Juventus to Manchester United
10 Eden Hazard - Chelsea to Real Madrid
11 Cristiano Ronaldo - Real Madrid to Juventus
12 Gareth Bale - Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid
13 Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United to Real Madrid
14 Gonzalo Higuaín - Napoli to Juventus
15 Harry Maguire - Leicester City to Manchester United
16 Romelu Lukaku - Everton to Manchester United
17 Jadon Sancho - Borussia Dortmund to Manchester United
18 Virgil van Dijk - Southampton to Liverpool
19 Kai Havertz - Bayer Leverkusen to Chelsea
20 Luis Suárez - Liverpool to Barcelona

The rest of the list is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Most of these were not the big fortune-changing moves that the buying clubs anticipated.

I think Bale was a good buy for Real Madrid even if they wish they could get rid of him now. The guy helped them win a lot of silverware. Ronaldo was also a good buy for Madrid. Suarez was worth the money for Barca in my eyes.

Felix didn't ask for that fee. I'm still surprised that Atletico put that much out there for him given how Simeone plays. The jury's still out on him.

I think the jury's still out on Sancho too. Havertz has been pretty good for Chelsea, right?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I had a joke about how Halaand under Pep could go as well as Ibrahimovic at Barca, but then I remembered that Barca still won a ton of stuff that year. This blows.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

pik_d posted:

This is peak Pep, he's ready to play Haaland in the midfield already https://twitter.com/Jack_Gaughan/status/1524509389700358147?t=ZCKhUQy6i09RNZYw2clCrw&s=19

I know we love to joke about Pep overthinking things, but I'm sure this is more about getting Haaland to improve in his contribution to build-up play, which every striker could stand to do.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Finally! Several of you will be hearing from my lawyers for historical abuse I have received about my lack of hair.

I thought it was the hair that you have that was the cause of the teasing.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Pep's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard to ping triangles around the opposition and win.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I don't like Liverpool having to play against him, but the guy is good and should be playing regularly in front of fans who like him. That's a good move for Villa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

They have been very different under Conte, though.