Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
It is not a dumb mechanic, just a mishandled one. Making it so that you game over when it hits 100% was stupid, if they made it so that certain endings could be unlocked by beating the game under various levels with 100 just representing those specific powers breaking, THAT would have been a good use, AND prevented abuse... As long as the downsides were explained. So if you can't beat a certain boss? D-up, but then it becomes a trade-off; do I want to trivialize this boss versus Do I want a better ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Last time, we finished with a bunch of sidequesting, and now we're ready to go back to the plot, at the Blade Drifts of Zopheir.

Watch the cutscene!

So? What are you gonna do at the aer krene?

An aer...converter?
My plan is to efficiently convert the aer into matter, decreasing the overall amount of aer. But for that, it's ideal to have the converter use energy similar to both aer and matter.
How's that energy different from aer?
Elementally-separated aer transitions into matter in stages, and eventually becomes stable. I'm going to stop its transition between the two states and develop a converter formula.
So it won't be aer or matter?
It's a state that's closer to matter than to aer, but it's still not quite matter. We call it "mana."

It actually has a really long, complicated name. But mana's good enough. But it'll still be less stable than actual matter, so we'll need something to act as a core.
The apatheia...
And a lot of aer and Estelle's power to recombine the formula.
Using my power without the control formula will unbalance the aer. It'll just flood out again...
But we can't just sit here and ignore that thing. And...
Yeah?

I guess I should be the one trying to stop you, but... I'm game to get in on this bet too.
The theory is correct. It'll be okay. So let's go to the aer krene.

This place hasn't changed a whole lot since the last time we were here, but it did actually change a bit. We'll get to that.

Skit: Not Enough Fat to Burn
It's f-f-freezing... Think there's a cabin or something where we could get out of the cold?
I don't think anyone would build a cabin on top of a sheet of ice...
If we just had some fire...
Oh yeah, Rita, use yer magic ta give us some fire, would ya?
What am I, a walking matchbox...?
And besides, using it on YOU would be a waste of aer.
What's the big deal? Weren't ya usin' it over and over again just a little while ago?
That was to defeat enemies! What would you want me to set on fire, anyway?
Hmmm, you've got a pretty muscular body.
Huh...?
Well, I mean, what with the guilds and the Knights and all, it's a lot of work...
...Doesn't look like there's enough fat to burn very well...
Hah hah. That's too bad.
...Huh? ...Hey!

Karol learns Roaring Dragon Blow: He rolls towards the enemy, then uppercuts at the end.

Halfway towards the aer krene, we run into another cutscene.

That's our genius mage-girl Rita. Yep, yep!

Come to think of it, you did say you'd investigated Zaude, didn't you?
Despite its amazing size, it wasn't running off of aer. Even though it was a barrier blastia to protect the entire world.
A barrier blastia?! Oh yeah, they were protecting the world from the Adephagos!

But the runaway aer was the cause for the Adephagos awakening, wasn't it?
Ah, so that's why they would use a barrier running on power other than aer.
But then, what sort of power was it using?
...The Children of the Full Moon, perhaps?
It was actually energy taken straight from them. Inside that giant core, it continued to power Zaude as a virtually perpetual formula.

"The light of life was extinguished from the Children of the Full Moon..."
So that's what Myorzo's legend meant.

They sacrificed themselves for the world... The Children of the Full Moon were protecting us this entire time.

Alright, see this iceberg here? They're new, they weren't here last time.

You can shoot them with your sorcerer's ring to push them around.

When they hit land, they drop a treasure chest that is stuck on them, and you can go collect it.

Skit: The First Sign of a Cold?
...Achoo...!
Huh? Are you catching a cold, Estelle?
No... It's just...I've been so cold, ever since I saw Rita use that water magic of hers...
That's terrible! Are you sure you're oka--
ACHOO...!
Now it's both of you? You should just tell Rita to stop using that kind of magic.
I can hear Rita already.
"I'll decide what type of magic I use, thank you very much!"
Oh, come on. If we tell her that we might be coming down with colds, I'm sure she'll--
What's that? Something about me?
Kchoo!
Hey, you catch a cold too?
...Maybe someone's...talking about me behind my back...

Apart from the icebergs, this place is the same as before.

That doesn't stop us from learning new artes, though. Rita gets Crimson Flare!

Which is pretty cool.

Grabbing a couple more treasure chests...

Now for something funny. Let's cook some Sorbet!

Skit: The Cold Is Fatal
Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to make s-s-sorbet in this freezing weather...
It's s-s-so cold, my t-t-t-teeth are chattering too much to eat...
I think sorbet can be delicious, even in the cold.
So it was you!
I was just expressing my opinion... I never said it was me!
J-J-Judith, you're all right eating sorbet d-d-dressed like that?
If ya get...an upset stomach, Judy...I'll give ya a massage!
Th-th-that's hardly something you should be saying, with your p-p-purple lips and your runny nose!
Rita, can you...cast spells...like that?
P-p-probably not... My t-t-teeth are chattering too much...
And my hands are t-t-too stiff to hold my weapons!
Eating sorbet...in a frigid cold field of snow... Th-th-this is not fun...

There's a similar skit for something else too, but I don't have that recipe yet.

Anyway, cutscene time.

Feel free to speculate what most of the technobabble in the following scene actually means.

Watch the cutscene!

If it does, you'll beat it up for us just like the last time, right?
...You're mean.

Now I'll release the control formula. Once I do that, the aer krene will react to you and produce more aer.

U-umm... I don't understand...
Yeah... Okay...
The water element is strong here, so imagine flowing water and let your body flow with the aer. The theory behind materializing aer is the same as performing magic. If Estelle can recompose the aer into a state close to mana... ...then I should be able to guide the aer into the cyano ciel.

No. Go take a nap or something.
We'd freeze to death if we took a nap here!
We can use the conversion formula we found in Zaude.

That was for substituting life for aer! Your life! You can't do that!
But if this fails, then we'll all be swallowed up by a flood of aer. We'll be dead anyway, right?
We're all risking our lives. Let us help.

I'll use your life energy to guide the aer into the cyano ciel. If we do that, I think Estelle will understand the flow of the aer without interference from me.

Okay! Yeah! Sure, why not. Okay. Woof!
Ready, Estelle? Here we go. Everyone, come over here.
Go ahead.

Try and synchronize yourself with my formula. There...that's good.
Ugh...

For some reason, a random minigame out of nowhere! It's a really easy and pretty boring one too. If you really want to watch it though it's here.

Face buttons appear on that bar at the top to the right and move to the left. Once they reach that circle in front of Estelle you have to press it.

That's it.

It goes on for a full minute before we're finally done.

Watch the cutscene!

The formula's working. The force field is stable... It's going to be OK!
Ugh...ah...
*Shriek*

D-did it not work?

A formula for reshaping the apatheia?! It's reformulating itself...?

...I am...
That voice...Belius?!
Judith? Yes, it is I, Belius...or rather... I was once Belius...but no more.
What's going on here?
Could the will of Belius trapped in the apatheia have...?

It's gone way beyond working... I never thought it would gain a will of its own...

You have granted life to me. I ask that you give me a name.
A being that controls the essence of a material... Maybe you're a spirit.
And so my name shall be...

Sidenote, they pronounce Undine with a silent 'e' at the end in this, which I think is inconsistent with all other English voice acted Tales games.

Aah... I feel the power swell within me... Such is the benefit of the aer which you saw fit to gather for me...
...It wasn't any cakewalk, either...
Receive this now, as token of my thanks...!

Absorption: Nullifies a spell attack when casting a spell of the same attribute.
FS Bonus: Recover HP every time a Fatal Strike hits an enemy.
Strength 3: Increases physical attack by 15%. Increase due to equipment not affected.

Extra Combo I: Press the attack button at just the right time at the end of a combo to inflict an extra hit on the enemy.
Extra Combo II: Press the attack button at just the right time at the end of Extra Combo I to inflict another hit on your enemy.
Extra Combo III: Press the attack button at just the right time at the end of Extra Combo II to inflict another hit on your enemy.

Very well. However, my powers alone will be insufficient.
Huh?
I control only the waters. You must gather those who rule the other elements as well.

We'll need help from the other Entelexeia, won't we?
I doubt they'll turn into spirits just because we ask nicely...
There are very few Entelexeia left. Phaeroh, Gusios...
And Ba'ul.
Not Ba'ul. He hasn't taken in enough aer to create an apatheia. And on top of that, I won't allow it.
Undine, do you have any ideas?

Your friend Ba'ul should know the location of these places.

She disappeared!
No...she is here. I feel her.
It seems like the aer krene has quieted down too... Even though we're not controlling Estelle's power.
Really?!

You mean Estelle is really free?
Yes... Yes!
That's great, Estelle.
Well, things are sure takin' a turn for the strange.
Yeah, I never would have dreamed any of this would happen. But we finally see the light at the end.

Spirit collection time! We can actually get the spirits in any order. In terms of difficulty, it makes more sense to go to Erealumen before Relewiese, and the third spirit comes from Phaeroh which requires no dungeon and you can do at any point. There's some slight dialogue changes here and there depending on your order, but nothing significant, so we'll be taking the order of Phaeroh -> Erealumen -> Relewiese, which is incidentally also the order used in the game's scenario files.

Skit: Freeing Estelle
Heh heh heh.
Rita, you look...happy.
So do you, Yuri.
There's no longer anything shackling Estelle.
She can use her power without causing any harm to herself or unbalancing the aer.
So yeah. I'm happy.
Estelle's really free!
But there's no guarantee she won't overdo things again, though...
We'll just watch her closely. If we don't, she might go back to healing people 'til she keels over.

Anyway, let's get out of here.

Of course, right as we are about to exit...

Watch the cutscene!

Yes. I can't really explain it, but she is here. I can sense it.
Well, she was created through Estelle, so maybe the two are connected.

I know, I know. You don't have to--

A flash of light!

Wh-what was that just now?!
Isn't that where...
It came from the direction of Zaude.

Uh-oh. Do you think we might've done somethin' to set this off?
That is the true catastrophe...

What are we supposed to do about something like that?
Hey, Rita. Duke said the Adephagos was born from aer.
Huh?
So if the spirits convert aer into matter... Could we do something about the Adephagos if we had enough spirits?

But...I do think it's worth a try.
Let's try it, Yuri!
Then it's settled.
Ba'ul?! ...Yes, I see. Thank you.

!
I guess we can't ignore something like that. Let's go!

Skit: The Adephagos Revived
Ooooh! I'm gonna hurt that idiot who brought the Adephagos back!
What could have happened at Zaude...
Those nut jobs probably fiddled with the thing too much, and broke it.
Thanks to Alexei, Zaude's no longer functioning like it was meant to!
This guy just never learns, does he? Things are gonna have to hit bottom before he'd consider changing his ways.
But they see that thing about to eat the planet, right? Even an idiot would understand the situation.
...I sure hope so...

Notable loot:

And with that, we're done for today. Next time: Take a guess!

...If you guessed saving Nordopolica, sorry. A few sidequest events just opened up.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 9, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This whole thing seems really confusing. I sort of get why Undine suddenly got created, but why does this mean Estelle no longer has to worry about using her powers?

Also Oon-deen really Tales stick to one pronunciation dammit

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Having only played Symphonia before this, I was wondering if the spirits were going to show up again. I was surprised to find out that we end up making them ourselves.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

That last skit really reads like Alexei was supposed to survive the end of Act 2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Materant posted:

That last skit really reads like Alexei was supposed to survive the end of Act 2.

Yeah I did notice that, not sure what's going on there exactly.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I was always a bit irked about that explanation. At this point in the game, I decided to no longer pay attention to the magical science plot device and simplify things to "Adephagos is bad, and we must stop it by finding the elementals."

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Momomo posted:

This whole thing seems really confusing. I sort of get why Undine suddenly got created, but why does this mean Estelle no longer has to worry about using her powers?

Also Oon-deen really Tales stick to one pronunciation dammit

Think of the Spirits as an Aer <> Mana Converter. When Estelle crafted Undine, she more or less made an automated version of the Formula Rita was working on.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
But they also do it without draining her life in the process, somehow, because mana is more efficient than aer/the Child of the Full Moon life force? Maybe? Kinda?

I dunno, I love this game, but I've watched that scene so many times trying to understand it and can never quite put all the connections together.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

But they also do it without draining her life in the process, somehow, because mana is more efficient than aer/the Child of the Full Moon life force? Maybe? Kinda?

I dunno, I love this game, but I've watched that scene so many times trying to understand it and can never quite put all the connections together.

Well, when you use a blastia to cast magic or use a strike arte, it absorbs aer from the environment to activate the formula. With Estelle being a CotFM, she wears an inactive blastia to cover up her ability to use magic and strike artes naturally, which, since because of her genetics, gulped up aer so fast the world was overproducing it. With this new Formula and undine acting as a converter, Estelle no longer uses aer to cast her spells or use her artes, instead she uses Mana.

The bit about her life force, was a quick fix formula Rita made to keep Estelle from using Aer to use her magic and strike artes. Estelle wouldn't be in any danger of dying if Dein Nomos, the sword that is basically a sharp aer <> Mana converter formula itself, was around to regulate her intake.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that there's a skit for making ice cream in the frozen north.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

That's because this part of the plot is just dumb.

I mean, I like this game, but really now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Materant posted:

Yeah from the way the skit's read it sounds like he is still alive and still trying to change the situation to his advantage. However he is dead so I wonder why they put this skit in game.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Glazius posted:

I do like that there's a skit for making ice cream in the frozen north.

There's also one for making pan-fry noodles in the desert. It's equally hilarious.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, that was certainly weird. The Tales of Eternia LP mentioned that the summon spirits have a guest appearance in Vesperia, but they didn't mention the context like this. I like the idea of that minigame, so it feels like the player is actually doing something to regulate the whatchamahoozits, but that was way too easy, even for a tutorial stage.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Well, that was certainly weird. The Tales of Eternia LP mentioned that the summon spirits have a guest appearance in Vesperia, but they didn't mention the context like this. I like the idea of that minigame, so it feels like the player is actually doing something to regulate the whatchamahoozits, but that was way too easy, even for a tutorial stage.

Thing is, unless it shows up in the PS3 version, that's the ONLY time you do that minigame. Period.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nope, doesn't show up again in the PS3 version either.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The minigame's just weird since you only play it when you get Undine and it can't be replayed, dunno if there's a place to do it in the PS3 version.

Edit: Welp that answers my question.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Part of me wonders if there were additional levels of the minigame in the game originally, but they were redacted from the final release because playtesters found them stupid. Why Undine's was left, I have no idea.

I'm definitely the minority here, but I didn't have too much trouble understanding what happened here. I dunno, maybe my mind's just broken from inexplicable Square Enix plots.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Classy Hydra posted:

Part of me wonders if there were additional levels of the minigame in the game originally, but they were redacted from the final release because playtesters found them stupid. Why Undine's was left, I have no idea.

I'm definitely the minority here, but I didn't have too much trouble understanding what happened here. I dunno, maybe my mind's just broken from inexplicable Square Enix plots.

It kind of makes sense, but honestly feels like a bit of a cop out to me.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

A jargogle posted:

It kind of makes sense, but honestly feels like a bit of a cop out to me.

This is more or less my feeling on it too. I can get a sense of where they were going with this, but it feels like they either stopped caring or were running out of time and just rushed this plot point :(

... Really weird that they only had the minigame in there once, though.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

justlysarcastic posted:

This is more or less my feeling on it too. I can get a sense of where they were going with this, but it feels like they either stopped caring or were running out of time and just rushed this plot point :(

... Really weird that they only had the minigame in there once, though.

My guess is that they wanted to do something semi-climactic as opposed to "Go to Zopheir! Watch this cutscene! Leave Zopheir!" but didn't want to have another boss fight.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hey there! Sorry about the long wait.

We were about to do some sidequests before helping out Nordopolica, which is being attacked by monsters from the Adephagos.

Our first stop is Zaphias, to wrap up the quest regarding Shel, his brother, and Lune.

Huh? What?
Like I said, my brother Clay is back... But I'm sorry, I really have to go!

But Shel seemed to be in such a good mood. I'm happy for him.
Maybe we should go meet the long-lost brother?

The party runs towards Shel.

Looks like fate has brought us together again, Yuri Lowell.
Who is this?!
My...brother... Why would you...
Y-your brother? You mean this man is...!
So you're Clay?
Why did you do it? That's what I want to know.

B-but...I thought if he were gone...you, Lune, and I could...
Is that what Lune wanted?
I just wanted...the three of us... My brother...Lune and I were...we were waiting for you this whole time...
Aaaahhhh!

What happened to you...Clay! Do you realize what you've done?! How could you do that to Shel?! My father didn't teach you to use a sword so you could do something like this!
I had to see that justice was done...I couldn't overlook what Shel did.
Your justice was more important than Shel's life?!
So stupid...

He was always there for me...I should have told him "thank you"...

Yuri follows Clay.

I don't know...I don't even know what justice is anymore.
Then why did you attack Shel?

If I hadn't brought him to justice, it would make everything I've been until now a lie. I'd be brought down to the level of the villains I hate.
But you already knew, didn't you? That's why you didn't go back to her. You'd gotten your hands dirty in the pursuit of your "justice", and you felt you were no longer worthy of her.
It is as you say. I dirtied these once innocent hands for the sake of justice... I even cut down the people I wanted to protect, all in the name of justice...

...Huh?
Anyone who learns to use a sword should know... Swords should be used to protect others! Once it's clear to you what's worth protecting, your resolve won't waver ever again!
What's worth protecting...
What is it you wanted to protect?
Swords should be used to protect others... That was the first thing I ever learned from my teacher. I wonder where I ended up forgetting that. Your resolve never wavers, does it?

...Hey, I owe you one. Take this. Consider it my way of saying thank you. Maybe it'll help you protect what's important to you.
What are you going to do?
I can't take back what I've done. But I won't run away. I'm going to go atone for my sins.

Yuri...

We left the rest to the knights. What about Clay?
He went into the castle. I think he plans to turn himself in.
Good. Things should work themselves out, then.
Why did this have to happen...
Don't cry, Karol. We've still got a lot to do.

And from this, we get a costume for Yuri!

It's pretty cool, especially when paired with the black hat.

Skit: A Sad End
Why did things have to end up the way they did...?
At this point, there's no use mullin' over whether we chose the right course or not.
But we need to think about it, so the same thing doesn't happen again.
It's becoming harder and harder to make a legitimate living in this world.
I'm not saying that should excuse what I've done.
You can't go through your entire life doing what's right. It's sad, but that's reality..
But that doesn't mean someone who used their sword for justice will just turn evil for no reason.
As long as they were fighting to protect someone right and good...
But accept that, and things break down ta anarchy.
I want to change the world so those who are just can lead good lives.
A world where we can't have justice without making someone else the bad guy is just too sad...
It'd be nice if people could just talk things over.
Yeah, that'd be a nice start.
That's why I'm saying that you shouldn't carry this burden by yourself!

Next place is Halure.

Hey! It's the healer girl!
Hi!
The tree's flowers look as red as ever... Too bad about that bride's curse...

Wrong...? What's wrong?
This veil... It told me...

Once upon a time, there lived a kind-hearted prince named Jarre. He adored flowers and insects, and he loved the moon, the sun, and the stars up in the sky.

One day, Jarre found a seed. He took that seed to the top of a great hill, and planted it there.

The impatient Prime Minister said, "What's the point if it won't bloom. Cut it down." But Jarre replied:

"Even if it doesn't bloom, it's putting all of its effort into growing. Cutting it down would be a terrible thing to do!"

Hearing this, the tree took the form of a young woman, and appeared before Jarre.

He instantly fell in love with her white skin and beautiful figure. On a moonlit night, he asked her to marry him. After their wedding, the two of them were as happy as can be.

But the Prime Minister, angry that the Prince had married the maiden, had her cruelly cast out of the castle.

Jarre was so sad that he shut himself up in the castle. Day and night he cried, unable to think of anything but his lost love.

The maiden learned of this, and stretched her trunk and branches until several pure, white flowers bloomed from their tips.

Jarre saw this from his castle window and stopped crying. He went outside For the first time since his maiden had gone.

Sitting beneath the newly bloomed flowers, he heard the maiden's voice.

"Don't cry. You'll always be able to find me here." It was then that Jarre realized that his love had actually been the tree, transformed into a fair maiden.

When he gently kissed the bark of the tree he had loved, all of its flowers turned to a bright red.

Wow... So that's why the flowers are red!
So that's the real story!
Miss, thank you for the wonderful story!
No, it was my pleasure.
You should tell that story to the Mayor, too!

The kids run off.

Yeah, when did you find all that out?
W-well... I didn't find out about it, exactly... I sort of...made it up.
But you said the veil told you...
That was a lie. I'm sorry... I was just looking at this veil, and the story came to me all of a sudden...
Wow, Estelle! You have a real talent for making up stories!
A hidden talent, huh? Will wonders never cease...
Oh, heh heh...

N-not really...
You can't force her inta somethin' like that!
After all, Estelle, you're the Princess! ♪
Yes, that's true.

Aww, isn't that cute?

If we leave and come back, we get another scene.

The story...you mean the story that Estelle made up?
Who are you?
...I have dwelled at the base of this tree for many generations... If you wish to give me a name, you could refer to me as the flower maiden of your story.
So you mean that really happened...?

You mean the story of the bride's ghost?
Yes...and I even dropped my veil...
Oh, so this is yours. Let me give it back to you.
No...I shall let you keep that. Thanks to you, the unfortunate rumor was put to rest.
But no...I mean, I was just making that story up...
No...I shall give you another token of my gratitude.

I have given you a new ability. Perhaps it will help you protect your companions. Farewell...
Ah...!

...What...was that?
An elemental spirit, I think.
Huh? But I thought elemental spirits came from Entelexeia...
There's a barrier blastia here. Which mean that there's a blastia core, which could be the source of an elemental spirit. Estelle's power put aer into the core, and that created an elemental spirit. Or perhaps the tree and the blastia did that by themselves?
Hmmm...very interesting.

But don't you think the idea of a flower spirit is a little romantic?
...I've decided...

Wh-whaaaa...!
I want to be able to spread joy, like what happened with those children and that spirit. I want to make everyone happy like I did for the people in this town...
Sounds good to me!
Sounds good to you? But Estelle's going to be the...

...Yeow!
All right, let's go.

The new ability we get is Force Field, which is pretty interesting.

The description is slightly misleading. But here, let's take a look at it first:

Every party member within this area gains complete invulnerability to damage and stagger for about ten seconds.

Pretty nice, but rather situational due to casting time. There is a very evil combination of this and a certain Skill though, which I'll show off once we get that.

Next time: Storyline, which should be up later today!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 5, 2016

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I wonder who made those drawings, they capture the feel of what a storybook in this world would look like quite nicely.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Let's actually help out Nordopolica now.

Watch the cutscene & battle!

That black thing... That's what we saw in the Sands of Kogorh!
That was Phaeroh's vision. This is real. Be careful.
It looks like it's trying to eat the aer of the shield!
Is the Adephagos drawn to aer...?
This thing looks pretty mean.
Come on!

This boss is pathetic. Despite the ~140k HP on both monsters they go down very quickly, and their attack patterns are pretty much the same as what we fought back in the desert.

There isn't even a secret mission for this fight. I think the Nightbreaker can change the weather to Night and the Daybreaker to Day but they certainly didn't get a chance to do that.

Hold your position! We're gonna stop them here!

Things are getting wild around here.
Y-You are... !

Fade out, fade in.

It seems that this was the only city to be attacked. What bad luck.
This isn't about luck.

I went to check the barrier blastia. Its power had been raised. And I guess the monsters were drawn to it. The power is returned to normal now.
We thought raising the power will protect us but, it turned out to be the opposite. I'll go see the citizens. Feel free to rest here as long as you please.
Thanks for the offer but we still have business to do. We better get moving.
You are all welcome at anytime. Try stopping by when you have time.
Thanks.

Skit: The Threat of the Adephagos
Eew... I can't believe the Adephagos could spawn such a disgusting monster.
Arooo.
The illusion Phaeroh showed us... He was trying to make us feel the power of the Adephagos.
But it's no illusion this time... Oh man, are hordes of these things just gonna attack everything?
Woof! Woof!
Aaah! Ow! Hey, no biting!
Grrr!
It's all right, Repede. He's just a little nervous, that's all.
And what's wrong with being a little nervous? I'm not gonna run away or anything. I swear!
Aroof! Woof!

Nothing for us to do here except running back outside.

Watch the cutscene!

Yeah. It looks like he's doing a good job leading since Belius passed away.

Not right now. Once everything's settled down, though, let's give him a nice surprise.
Okay.
...That monster. Palestralle was no match for it. I can't figure it out...

Maybe there's something different about us...
The spirits, perhaps?
If the Adephagos really is close to aer, then the spirits might actually affect it.
So can we put up more of a fight if we get the other three?
Who knows... The four elements alone could control aer, but...we're talking about the Adephagos. I just don't know.

There aren't many Entelexeia left, either...

Yes. They're an indispensable part of our society.
And cores are just pieces of apatheia. So if the four spirits aren't enough...

Are you nuts? How do you propose to do that?
Even if we knew how, we'd still have to go to every single blastia. I doubt the Adephagos would wait for us.
I think that's your specialty, genius.
...Oh no. This is your genius plan.
...Even if Yuri's plan worked... ...all the blastia would stop working, wouldn't they?
Yeah, I guess so. All the cores would be gone.
What would the world become?
People would lose the safety promised by the barriers...

Even bodhi blastia wouldn't work. Oh...
There'll be a lot of unhappy people. But we have to do it...

Even if no one other than us understands.

Once we do that, then we can think about what to do next.
Yeah.
Ba'ul knows where the other Entelexeia are, right?
Yeah. Let's get back to the ship and ask him.

Watch the cutscene!

The shining forest of Erealumen, and the root of the world, Relewiese...
I've never heard of those places.
Ba'ul says he knows. However...
?
He doesn't want to tell us. Apatheias only come from the death of Entelexeia.
He doesn't want to put his friends in danger...

We want to protect the world. But we don't want to sacrifice anyone for it. We won't just take the apatheia by force.
Ba'ul...please.
Tell us where the Entelexeia are.

Relewiese is...on the continent of Weccea.
Thank you, Ba'ul.
We also need to go to the Sands of Kogorh, where Phaeroh is.
Right.
...Northeast Tolbyccia. I wonder if that's the place where a new land just recently crystallized.
Weccea's that continent to the south of Ilyccia, where the capital is. Right?
Weccea...
"The emperor Calx III sent scouting parties four times in order to claim the land. But every time, they lost communication, and no one ever returned. It's the last unexplored land on Terca Lumireis."
Why does it have to be a place like that...?
If Weccea's that bad, then let's leave Relewiese for last.
...He says he'll leave things up to you.
Thanks, Ba'ul.

Back on the world map, let's check out those two places:

The Erealumen Crystallands are way up north, and indeed the easier -- or at least less annoying -- of the two.

The Relewiese Hollow is to the southeast, and is the only notable area on that continent, apart from a few search points.

But before we do any of that, you guessed it, more sidequesting. Let's start with an event in Aspio with an awesome reward.

Sure, go ahead.
All their blastia research might be useless pretty soon anyway...
All right, I'll try not to be too long.

Wow, things have gotten pretty bad.
Spirits, huh...
So you're saying you want to take our blastia research away from us?
People can't live without blastia! I don't like this idea one bit!
You all sure talk big for a bunch of amateurs with underfunded research that no one cares about.
What did you say?!
You wanna rumble?
I didn't come here to listen to you have your petty arguments! Can you just put your emotions on hold for a few minutes?
Anyway, it's as I told you. We mages will soon be unable to simply continue with our studies of blastia. I just thought it would be best if I let you know.
We can't accept what you've told us.

Even if you're the best brain in Aspio, you're still a child.
Adults are reluctant to pay heed to the words of one so young as you. Surely that's all it is.
That's really...not the issue here.

Right. We'll do something about that stubborn bunch!

Is it really okay to leave so soon? I mean...
It's fine. Let's go.

We just leave the area and come back, and...

Look at this...!

...That's...!
It's magic using spirits. It's not yet complete, though.
Pretty nice, eh? This guy managed to work out the spirit formula.
Nah, this is nothing, really.
I have to say, I'm impressed that you managed to cast a spell like this.
Heh heh, please, you're too kind.
You've already started doing spirit research despite all of your objections earlier? Don't you think that's a little hypocritical?
We're still continuing our blastia research.
We've just added one more area in which to focus that research!
Well, not that I mind or anything. So, what sort of formula is it?
Don't be so nosy!
We're all mages of Aspio, aren't we? We can be civil to each other. We can trust you to keep the construction of this formula an Aspian secret?
Of course.
First you draw a textual formula around the outside edge to isolate the fire attribute...

As researchers, their desire to study new things is too powerful to fight.
Yeah. They may be older than Rita, but these mages are all made of the same stuff.

How would you do it?
Hmmmmm...
I've got it! Like this...!

Hell yeah!

...Hey hey... That's just too powerful!
S-sorry...
But...I think that we can use this!
Yes. What do you think?
Yes... Do you mind if I use it?
Well, we'd prefer something a little less volatile.
We're going to see if there might be a slightly more practical direction we can take it in.
Right... Let me give it some more thought, as well. If I come up with a better way to use that formula, I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot!

Meteor Storm is a staple of the Tales series, and usually one of the, if not the most powerful regular spell in the game.

It does pretty much what you would guess from the name. The only bad thing about this spell is that it's possible to completely miss an enemy with it, but apart from that, it's great.

Next time: More sidequesting!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 5, 2016

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Huh, was just thinking about how long this lp had gone without an update... What I like is that scene where you get meteor storm has a variation outside Aspio (at Halure if I recall correctly) when a certain thing happens and you don't have the M.S. yet. Nice that it isn't something you can miss as easily if you just go from plot point to plot point.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game has too many sidequests. A lot of them are funny and stuff, but there are way too many sidequests.

And I did almost all of them. I gave up doing the Colosseum, Marking Map, and some of the stuff on Nam Cobanda Isle, but I sure as hell did everything else.

I spent a long time playing this game.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

alcharagia posted:

This game has too many sidequests. A lot of them are funny and stuff, but there are way too many sidequests.

And I did almost all of them. I gave up doing the Colosseum, Marking Map, and some of the stuff on Nam Cobanda Isle, but I sure as hell did everything else.

I spent a long time playing this game.

Endgame sidequests are even bigger in the PS3 version. Alongside random additions, the biggest inclusions are extra modes for the Colosseum (and more AWESOME prizes) alongside a huge exclusive dungeon (thank god the battle system is so much fun or that one would've been very annoying).

Short of completing the Item and Monster books, I finished the whole game with my lil' bro and, at the end, we were clocking at about 130hrs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

a huge exclusive dungeon (thank god the battle system is so much fun or that one would've been very annoying)

Oh come on, the dungeon is very annoying regardless.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Maybe it's just testament to how much easier things become in multiplayer. We were hitting Fatal Strikes left and right so it went by quick enough (specially when paired with THAT Spell from Patty).

Or maybe we just have a higher threshold for repetition! :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Or maybe we just have a higher threshold for repetition! :v:

That's probably the case. I played part of it in 2-player too and it was still kind of annoying. I think it's just waaay too long, like, if it stopped after Ohma that would be fine but as-is it takes forever, especially if you want all the treasure.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

It's funny because this could be about literally any Tales game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeeeah... the series really doesn't have a good track record with bonus dungeons, does it? I think the worst one is still Symphonia's evil book though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I think the worst one is still Symphonia's evil book though.

Uh, about that...

Brunom1 posted:

(thank god the battle system is so much fun or that one would've been very annoying)

Gladsheim

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Raitzeno posted:

Uh, about that...

Gladsheim

Gotta give the nod to this one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, wait. They're saying, if they can't get the entelexia to die, they'll have to deactivate every blastia in the world to stop the Adelphagos?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Glazius posted:

Wait, wait. They're saying, if they can't get the entelexia to die, they'll have to deactivate every blastia in the world to stop the Adelphagos?

Basically.

Imagine a world ending event is about to occur and the only way to stop it is to essentially give up electricity. Granted that wouldn't be realistic at all but man, that would suck.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Adus posted:

Basically.

Imagine a world ending event is about to occur and the only way to stop it is to essentially give up electricity. Granted that wouldn't be realistic at all but man, that would suck.

Mmmm, there's already signs that it might not be quite that bleak. Remember their Spirit Magic research, and how Rita's first application was "way too powerful"? It's more like giving up coal engines to save the world, but mostly-accidentally discovering electricity in the process. They'll have to redo all the infrastructure from the ground up, but it's a cleaner, more environmentally-friendly source, even if they're not all on the same page as to how it works just yet.

Not sure how much of that is obvious enough from what little we've seen yet; tagging it for safety.

E: The analogy in those tags is more appropriate than I realized at first pitch; considering that Blastia Cores are dead Entelecheia, they're literally a form of fossil fuel. :D

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 23, 2012

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

The analogy kinda falls apart when you realize where most electricity comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Zebrin posted:

The analogy kinda falls apart when you realize where most electricity comes from.

So maybe it's more giving up fossil fuels to save the world while also discovering solar power, I guess?

• Locked thread