Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A hare filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

Same as the first couple of years of the pre-facelift Peugeot 406. Water can get in through the mounting holes for the kickplate and the lower door seal, and if the drain holes are blocked by dirt, water accumulates and rusts the gently caress out of everything. It takes upwards of 10 years to get really bad before you notice it, unless you happen to catch the sound of water sloshing around in the rockers. I've seen some real horrible pictures of cars that have never had anti-rust treatments. Mine's a later facelifted model, but I make drat sure to be on time with my anti-rust treatments every time now, and check those drat drains.

This was completely invisible from the outside, according to the guy who posted it:

As was this, on a different car:

No matter what you drive, check those drain holes!

Same with Miatas(NA ones for sure, dont know about the later body styles). When I first got my '91 i kept hearing water sloshing around when I would start or stop. Confused the hell out of me and took a while it figure it out and clear the drain holes.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Be careful; those things can be dangerous.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

VW Rabbit?

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Negromancer posted:

Same with Miatas(NA ones for sure, dont know about the later body styles). When I first got my '91 i kept hearing water sloshing around when I would start or stop. Confused the hell out of me and took a while it figure it out and clear the drain holes.
NBs are the same way. I figured it was water in the body somewhere when I heard the sloshing, but I had no idea it could get inside that part until I spent a few minutes googling it.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Suddenly this switch makes a lot more sense:

But where's the turtle?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are its eyes gone?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Best explanation for when something under the hood jumps unexpectedly.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

D C posted:

With s13's a lot of people jack the car up by the framerails because they are there, and flat, and easily visible, except they dent when you do that, even if they arent rusted. They are notoriously weak.

That is seriously EVERY S13.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's annoying that they would put a frame rail there and not reinforce it for lifting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MomJeans420 posted:

Are its eyes gone?

Rabbits have brilliant red eyeshine that really shows up in camera flashes, or even if just a flashlight is pointed on them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

revmoo posted:

It's annoying that they would put a frame rail there and not reinforce it for lifting.

Do S13s not have pinch welds? First thing they teach you at mechanic school is don't lift unibody cars by what looks like a frame rail, because they're just sheet metal like the rest of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Rabbits have brilliant red eyeshine that really shows up in camera flashes, or even if just a flashlight is pointed on them.

Eyeshine is actually the reflection of the tapetum. It's why cat eyes seem to glow. :eng101:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Fucknag posted:

Do S13s not have pinch welds? First thing they teach you at mechanic school is don't lift unibody cars by what looks like a frame rail, because they're just sheet metal like the rest of it.

They do have pinch welds up under the skirts, they also have shaped jacking points at the front and rear on the sils, only problem is finding a spot for the jack stands, which for me is usually a suspension mounting point, unless i have to take them off.

Most of the time I end up jacking the car from the front tow loop and using the jacking points for the jack stands, and using the rear diff to jack from the rear.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Regular rabbits are good for 10,20 hp, but the Bunniculas will get you 40 more at least.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was right across from my house on my bike on the way home from work today when a Cadillac coming the opposite direction spontaneously had its driver's-side front wheel turn sideways. The caddy pulled to the shoulder immediately and they called for a friend. They didn't hit anything, and nobody hit them. It was, honestly, pretty awesome to watch.

Once Dropbox updates from my phone, I'll post some pics I took tonight after everybody left.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

I was right across from my house on my bike on the way home from work today when a Cadillac coming the opposite direction spontaneously had its driver's-side front wheel turn sideways. The caddy pulled to the shoulder immediately and they called for a friend. They didn't hit anything, and nobody hit them. It was, honestly, pretty awesome to watch.

Once Dropbox updates from my phone, I'll post some pics I took tonight after everybody left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like someone didn't tighten the balljoint nut for the control arm. I see no shear failure or cracking or anything, it looks like it just...fell out. Impressive!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also isn't ATF usually red?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Geirskogul posted:

I think that's gear oil from the differential.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo you're right. I'm leaving my post for historical purposes, though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I was going to say that this is why you replace loose ball joints, but it looks like the nut just backed off. They have cotter pins through them for a reason.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ultimateforce posted:

That is seriously EVERY S13.

RX-7s, too

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I did a sheared off ball joint on a 94 Accord Wednesday, let me tell you its interesting getting it onto a rack with the axle torn out and the suspension not suspending.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Throatwarbler posted:

I think that's gear oil from the differential.

It's the grease from the torn open CV joint. :cmon:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
From a local forum:

quote:

A little back history. I tracked it at AMP once in September after I had gotten it back from being dyno'd in the USA. Car was then put away for the winter to be turned into my full time track car. So then I began working to get the car to this point.

on April 30th I then brought the car in to a "reputable person", who without my permission sourced the job to somebody else. I didn't know these people, I've never heard of them. I know my car was moved without any permission given. Now, here is the job presented to me. Keep in mind, this cost $4000 Labor. You be the judge.

I can't remove the rear strut bolts, One was even conveniently shaved down just to get onto it. Notice the modified nut.

I have about 100 Pictures of mistakes. This cage came with a full schematic, every gusset, and absolutely every resource needed for a proper fitment. It was $3500 alone to get the cage here.

Here you can see the welding on the steering shaft mount, I can't actually sit in the car with the seat in because the steering wheel is inbetween my legs at the highest setting. I can't bolt the bracket to the firewall because it's off by aprox. 15-20degrees. This alone is a worst case scenario. They decided to use half of the gussets that came with it... I wonder why.

In this picture you can see a weld missed completely on the main hoop. This along with several others I've spotted.

Here is what it's supposed to look like
Link to Complete cage build (Proper one) http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46631
[youtube]gY5EH3Wm2XU[/youtube]

Here is the cage from the website.
http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcage/LoadRollCage.castle?manufacturer=Mitsubishi&model=Lancer%20Evo%20X%20Int%20GrpN&type=Int%20GrpN

This cost 3500 just to get the cage here. I had plans of racing across the border so that's why I went with such a well built product.

At this point I'm stuck with parting out the car. The chassis is out of shape now and the cage isn't symmetrical. Heck, I can't even take out my rear coil overs. To those of you responsible reading this... I hope you feel ashamed. You've ruined my dreams of having a hobby that took my mind off the frustrations of being permanently affected by war.

This should get interesting, since he went to a cage builder recommended by many local people.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What in the gently caress.

That is a nice kit too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo what a mess. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. I would be in full on stabbing mode.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Holy gently caress. Welds on welds on welds. I feel like if that person were to track that car and proceed to crash they'd look a lot like this.
:tviv:

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Crustashio posted:

From a local forum:

This should get interesting, since he went to a cage builder recommended by many local people.

I think it would be easy to argue that that car has been basically totaled and I would be filing suit in small claims asap (but your damages would be limited at maybey $5000, perhaps a real lawyer is in order.)

Citycop fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 18, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That chassis has been totaled by a welder wielding wetodd. I would be taking them to court for every cent they are worth.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Guys I think I did a great job on that cage!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And this kids, is why I just spent $1500 having the back suspension assembly of my 99 Deville replaced. Cause the mounts for the rear crossbar had rusted away, and I was basically a hard jounce on the highway from this happening to me. Different cause, but the results would have been similar. And if both had went and it skidded for awhile on the gas tank at 70 or so, whelp :stare:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Crustashio posted:

From a local forum:

He's certainly good to go on Fitness for Purpose, and almost a sure thing for a Devaluation Claim for the value of the vehicle.

If there are any lawyergoons about : How bad would work have to be before you could make a criminal case out of it? Given that he's explicitly said that the cage is being put in for racing not :2fast:; as-fitted it's probably significantly more lethal than just the standard, unmodified chassis. Would he have a shot at getting a lovely welder put somewhere he can do no harm?

I'm also looking at the thing they've done to his steering: Doesn't that defeat the collapsible steering column?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

He's certainly good to go on Fitness for Purpose, and almost a sure thing for a Devaluation Claim for the value of the vehicle.

If there are any lawyergoons about : How bad would work have to be before you could make a criminal case out of it? Given that he's explicitly said that the cage is being put in for racing not :2fast:; as-fitted it's probably significantly more lethal than just the standard, unmodified chassis. Would he have a shot at getting a lovely welder put somewhere he can do no harm?

I'm also looking at the thing they've done to his steering: Doesn't that defeat the collapsible steering column?

While I'm not a lawyer I spend entirely too much time around them, so take this for what it's worth: to rise to a criminal claim over something like that would pretty much require someone getting hurt as a result of using it for the intended purpose and having it fail in a way it should't (think along the lines of criminal negligence, which would take some serious doing to show) or from the fact pattern of how any claims for remedy go with the owner of the shop he contracted to do for the job if there is no reasonable remedy provided (think your basic huxtering like misrepresentation, fraud, concealment that would have to be proven to rise above a civil claim). I doubt the latter could/would happen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

While I'm not a lawyer I spend entirely too much time around them, so take this for what it's worth: to rise to a criminal claim over something like that would pretty much require someone getting hurt as a result of using it for the intended purpose and having it fail in a way it should't (think along the lines of criminal negligence, which would take some serious doing to show) or from the fact pattern of how any claims for remedy go with the owner of the shop he contracted to do for the job if there is no reasonable remedy provided (think your basic huxtering like misrepresentation, fraud, concealment that would have to be proven to rise above a civil claim). I doubt the latter could/would happen.

This is why I love living with the the consumer guarantees act. Means poo poo like that cage would end really badly for the welder.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hellatoe!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just realized I forgot to put this here.

No idea what the backstory on cause of failure is but it's from an '87-'93 Jeep Wrangler AX5 manual transmission behind a 4-cylinder. It came from a junk/parts-only transmission a friend had sitting in his basement that he had gotten free with no backstory on what it came from, why it was removed, etc.

Third gear is... uh... loving shot. The input shaft gear that drives the countershaft was missing a pretty good number of teeth too.

All I wanted was the shaft that runs through this stack of gears and other bits, so I just knocked it all off into the junk parts pile and went on with my life.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

kastein posted:

Just realized I forgot to put this here.

All I wanted was the shaft that runs through this stack of gears and other bits, so I just knocked it all off into the junk parts pile and went on with my life.

Is the AX5 based off the T5? Because that pretty much how the T5 fails 90% of the time and that assembly looks exactly like a T5 main assembly.