Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
That tree wasn't making money just sitting there. Clearly Obama is helping the market.

"But what about OUR dead people?"

Umm...

I admit it, I like this one.

It's like this guy was actively looking for the least respectful metaphor.

And to end on a more somber note for people who kept up with the regular newspaper cartoon thread
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Internet Webguy posted:

And to end on a more somber note for people who kept up with the regular newspaper cartoon thread
RIP

Well, dang. Wee Pals could be a bit bland, but from what I've read it was the first strip to really feature a diverse cast, and Turner was apparently one of the nicest folks you could meet. Here's a tribute from the SF Gate[/url].

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Well that's one way to learn that Pete Seeger's dead I guess.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rebochan posted:

"You must be at least 35 to get this cartoon" = I have failed as an artist!

I'll bite. I'm 32. What the gently caress is going on here?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

I'll bite. I'm 32. What the gently caress is going on here?

Rand Paul has been criticizing Bill Clinton, so Danzinger has Paul parading around in Monica Lewinsky's semen-stained blue dress as A) a metaphor for bringing Clinton's past misdeeds back into the spotlight and B) because Danzinger likes calling Republicans cross-dressing fags. (See: every time Danzinger references Lindsey Graham.)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Eschers Basement posted:

Rand Paul has been criticizing Bill Clinton, so Danzinger has Paul parading around in Monica Lewinsky's semen-stained blue dress as A) a metaphor for bringing Clinton's past misdeeds back into the spotlight and B) because Danzinger likes calling Republicans cross-dressing fags. (See: every time Danzinger references Lindsey Graham.)

Now explain why he has Rand fondling his breasts.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Eschers Basement posted:

I would have gotten that reference if Danziger had bothered to draw something even remotely close to the actual dress.

Anyway, here's another cartoon from Alberta. Just think about all the oil we could sell (and not get royalties for), if it wasn't for those drat safety regulations!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tom Guycot posted:

ugh, this is so dumb and boring I barely want to edit it about penis.

barely.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

How about some vintage editorial cartoons from Cuba? Antonio Prohias is famous for drawing "Spy vs. Spy" for MAD Magazine. Fewer people know that he's a Cuban refugee. He was a staunch anti-communist who drew cartoons criticizing Castro. Well, long story short, Castro's government was taking over the press, and Prohias feared for his life, so he fled the country to USA. He got a job at MAD and the rest is history.

MAD reprinted a set of cartoons Prohias did called "Tovarich", which is Russian for "Comrade". Even though the character is Russian, he was based on Castro. The idea was that, if he were to be confronted by government officials, he can claim that the character is not based on Castro since he's not even Cuban.

10 days old, but I need to thank you for this. I starting reading MAD in 1980, and I've always heard about Prohias's political cartoons, but never actually seen one.

EDIT: and that started a flood of old Prohias work... love it. I recall an interview the the founder of Mad, talking about the first time Prohias walked into the MAD offices, and how inconsistent his English was a first. I don't remember the details, but clearly the original MAD staff from the 70s was a very tight bunch.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 28, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Mr. Horrible posted:

This is because you lack vision.

Clearly this time waifu must have the penis.

"It's not much of a fiat, baby," indeed. :smug:

Fellate It Again, Toots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CampingCarl posted:

Pretty badass mech. I wonder what it is from.

I see a distinct lack of auto-pen.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

PhancyPants posted:

I would have gotten that reference if Danziger had bothered to draw something even remotely close to the actual dress.

Anyway, here's another cartoon from Alberta. Just think about all the oil we could sell (and not get royalties for), if it wasn't for those drat safety regulations!

Off to the side of this shot is an oil train catching fire and destroying an entire town in canada but okay.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Haha. I hate folk music too but what the gently caress. And who believes Pete Seeger's death opens anything up? Like there's only so much room for voices on the left? And who in this day and age writes "music" in quotes. That's some old man poo poo.

Edit: Or is this an edit? I honestly can't tell if this is real or inspired by Rall's Ebert cartoon.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

he made the democrat black :allears:

Unlike Republicans, who never complain about anything.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Haha. I hate folk music too but what the gently caress. And who believes Pete Seeger's death opens anything up? Like there's only so much room for voices on the left? And who in this day and age writes "music" in quotes. That's some old man poo poo.

It's an edit. :ssh:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Off to the side of this shot is an oil train catching fire and destroying an entire town in canada but okay.

You sound like one of those smelly BC hippies. Why dontcha go hug some more trees, hippie?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Now explain why he has Rand fondling his breasts.

Eschers Basement posted:

...and B) because Danzinger likes calling Republicans cross-dressing fags.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PhancyPants posted:

The "Safety regulations" sign is on a switching light that presumably regulates traffic through this intersection, preventing the trains from colliding due to human/mechanical error or recklessness and causing widespread property/environmental damage. AGC.

e: Also there are no visible engines, so either the trains are being moved by some sort of weird and horribly inefficient system with the engine at the back, or they're just stationary and wouldn't move anyway.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 28, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PhancyPants posted:

A fairly accurate, if a little condensed, depiction of a typical railyard as its many tracks converge into one or possibly two tracks for the journey to the next yard. A Train Cartoon.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Edit: Or is this an edit? I honestly can't tell if this is real or inspired by Rall's Ebert cartoon.
You're really stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

crowfeathers posted:

he made the democrat black :allears:

Some hardcore projection going on here.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

You're really stupid.

Tell me something I don't know. Is it because I hate folk or because this is an edit and I don't see it? Enlighten me.

VVV Ah, I totally missed the Todd. To be fair I've been calling him "Rail" in my head for years and just recently sorted that out. I have dyslexia or something so I don't read well.

Still. It's way plausible for Ted.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 28, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

TODD RALL

Also, Exclamation Marx gave it today's date using the inferior New Zealand "day-month-year" scheme.
Seriously though, I want every future memorial/obituary cartoon to be this. It just doesn't get old.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Webguy posted:

RIP

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tell me something I don't know. Is it because I hate folk or because this is an edit and I don't see it? Enlighten me.

VVV Ah, I totally missed the Todd. To be fair I've been calling him "Rail" in my head for years and just recently sorted that out. I have dyslexia or something so I don't read well.

Still. It's way plausible for Ted.

It's also the wrong proportion for an editorial cartoon, and a cut/paste from his Ebert cartoon, but with a different character and slightly altered text. It's a well done edit but there are a handful of clues that it's not real.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

XyloJW posted:

It's also the wrong proportion for an editorial cartoon, and a cut/paste from his Ebert cartoon, but with a different character and slightly altered text. It's a well done edit but there are a handful of clues that it's not real.

Next you'll tell me Kelley is just a spoof.

Edit: GODDAMMIT, I knew I was going to screw up the Kelley/Kelly joke. I even googled it and thought "whelp, Kelley is the Onion guy"
I need to stay off internet for a while. Give me a 6 hour probation for getting it wrong.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 28, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XyloJW posted:

Wait wait wait, are you telling me the Ebert cartoon wasn't an edit?!?

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

gently caress right off, Mayes, whoever you are.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Next you'll tell me Kelley is just a spoof.

VitalSigns posted:

Wait wait wait, are you telling me the Ebert cartoon wasn't an edit?!?

I was recently in a brutal accident which has left me unable to recognize faces or jokes, but no, New Orleans cartoonist Steve Kelley is not a spoof, but the Onion's cartoonist Stan Kelly is, and Ted Rall's Ebert cartoon was 100% true and also why the Nelson Mandela edit and the Pete Seeger edit are hilarious. Hopefully we can now all put this dark period in our lives behind us.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lysdexique posted:

gently caress right off, Mayes, whoever you are.

My house is across the street from some freight tracks. Oil cars every day. If I die, take it out on Mayes pls.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW posted:

I was recently in a brutal accident which has left me unable to recognize faces or jokes
The infamous Ramirez' studio explosion of 2014 - you should've never taken that tour.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

The infamous Ramirez' studio explosion of 2014 - you should've never taken that tour.

Who would have known that the explosion permanently burnt a crosshatched DEBT into Ramirez's eyes. He now scribbles on papers frequently to show people the burden that plagues him to this day. :ohdear:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Where he's going, he won't need eyes to see.

DEBT HORIZON

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

:allears:

https://medium.com/the-nib/550efaf2afca

OUYA: GET SOME

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
What do you think of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The rare inverted Godwin.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

still the worst obama charicature in the thread

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's nice to see Youra still remembers the stupid ending of the 2001 Planet of the Apes remake. Or he just can't draw Abe Lincoln.

Also he seems to be mixing up Lincoln and Uncle Sam, look at that finger.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

crowfeathers posted:

still the worst obama charicature in the thread

I dunno, Ramirez is pretty hard to beat. Those ears..... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

...does Ramirez know that the guy in the middle of the poster is the hero? Did he just never see American Hustle?

• Locked thread