Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Let's see what's going on in Prickly City...

Guys, guys! I don't know if anybody has noticed this before, because of how masterfully subtle the commentary is, but the rabbits MIGHT be a clever nod at the Clintons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Ape of Naples posted:

In NY, wine and beer is fine just not hard liquor. I think it has to do with a law that a place that sells liquor can't sell 'mixers' such as soda and juice. I think in NYC the liquor laws are such that restaurants without a liquor license can sell wine and beer but not hard alcohol.

Edit it may have to do with alcohol content too. I suppose supermarkets don't sell most wines but they do sell some which I assume is weaker than normal wine.

Working in such a restaurant, you need one liquors license to sell wine and beer, and another to sell mixed drinks and harder alcohol. It's can't be served or sold without one.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'd thought this one would have been noticed more by the thread as it's a Local Hero cartoon about something that happened local. In short, a school dumped a bunch of kid's dinners in the bin after it appeared that the kids didn't have enough money in their accounts to pay for them. Obviously this somehow backfired on the school's reputation. Apparently it's happened in schools in other states, too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Internet Webguy posted:

"But we're so edgy and street credible..."

Seriously gently caress Rall. Gen X is getting only the slightest taste of the poo poo sandwich they helped make that is being force-fed to the Millennials.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

New Bors.

Hasn't Oxfam dropped her yet?

I'm not sure I agree with Bors' very black and white attitude here. While the factory might be on territory illegaly occupied by Israel, the SodaStream factory is privately owned and from what I've heard they are treating their Palestinian workers very well. :shrug:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

I'm not sure I agree with Bors' very black and white attitude here. While the factory might be on territory illegaly occupied by Israel, the SodaStream factory is privately owned and from what I've heard they are treating their Palestinian workers very well. :shrug:

Well, the problem is not how they treat their workers. Good for them if they offer decent wages and non-horrible working conditions. The problem is that they legitimize and capitalize on a highly illegal and immoral colonial occupation policy.

EDIT:

Also, for content, considering all the marijuana legalization comics we've seen, here's one freshly baked from Sweden:

The youth-wing of the Center Party wants to legalize marijuana in special stores. Why not matching unemployment offices next door?

"So, what do you want to work as?"

"Space flower."

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Man, reading about all these crazy Yankee liquor laws is hilarious. I grew up in New Orleans and am now living in Baton Rouge. I thought it was weird when I got up here and saw that the bars have to close at two AM and they don't have drive through Daiquiri joints. I can't imagine not being able to buy just about any booze I want at any gas station or grocery store.

For something vaguely politoon related, I'm looking forward to Lester and the McCoy's reactions to Sandra Fluke seeking elected office. I'm sure it will easily satisfy my two minutes hate for the day

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Rygar201 posted:

Man, reading about all these crazy Yankee liquor laws is hilarious. I grew up in New Orleans and am now living in Baton Rouge. I thought it was weird when I got up here and saw that the bars have to close at two AM and they don't have drive through Daiquiri joints. I can't imagine not being able to buy just about any booze I want at any gas station or grocery store.

Driver over here to Mississippi. If it's not a dry county, alcohol likely can't be sold before 12pm on Sunday and stores can sell beer or liquor/wine but not both. So we have a lot of beer and cigarette stores often next door to wine/liquor stores.

Also our beer was capped at 5% alcohol content until just a year or two ago.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Deceitful Penguin posted:

New Bors.

Hasn't Oxfam dropped her yet?

Would've been better with just the first two panels

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

LtStorm posted:

Also our beer was capped at 5% alcohol content until just a year or two ago.

What's the Totally Not Racist Guys explanation for that one? Cause all I can see is banning Those People's beer

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I want you all to remember this cartoon when asking when the Benghazi cartoons will stop.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

I want you all to remember this cartoon when asking when the Benghazi cartoons will stop.

I think the best example is the recent Branco featuring Ted Kennedy. Senator Kennedy has been dead for five years, and they're still harping on Chappaquiddick

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 5, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rygar201 posted:

What's the Totally Not Racist Guys explanation for that one? Cause all I can see is banning Those People's beer

I think that one is actually more leftover temperance/prohibitionist zeal than anything racial, though it being Mississippi I could very easily be wrong. The state itself was wholly dry until the mid-late 60s, and if I'm remembering right counties still have to specifically authorize alcohol sales for them to be legal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

What? No that's stupid, it's an old prohibition in spirit if not name type deal.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rygar201 posted:

I think the best example is the recent Branco featuring Ted Kennedy. Senator Kennedy has been deaf dead for five years, and they're still harping on Chappaquiddick

Actual non-joke FTFY. Although I think we'd all be happier if Ted were just wandering around asking "WHAT?!" instead of being 6 feet under.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I get what he's trying to say, whether it's wrong or not. Does he not realize that he has it completely mixed up? Isn't :obama: supposed to be injected into :wow:?

What an asinine thing to draw. Someone actually drew this. A far better tribute to a great actor:
http://www.wnyc.org/story/new-yorkers-share-memories-philip-seymour-hoffman/
http://www.thegreenespace.org/events/thegreenespace/2012/feb/02/greene-space-presents-death-salesman/
http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/94763-amy-ryan-and-philip-seymour-hoffman-jack-goes-boating/
http://www.wnyc.org/story/59118-peter-sellers-and-philip-seymour-hoffman/

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Have some Michigan political humor. Our governor CEO of the state aired an ad during the Superbowl that provided the goofiest face ever made by a grown man.

The ad in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-0zaKcWj0

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

I get what he's trying to say, whether it's wrong or not. Does he not realize that he has it completely mixed up? Isn't :obama: supposed to be injected into :wow:?

What's really great about this cartoon is that whenever Snafu draws the person you're supposed to agree with, he makes them white, and the only time he draws minorities is when he's specifically drawing Obama or something he disagrees with. There's never been a positive minority depiction in any of his cartoons, and this one in particular jumps way out because there's no face but he clearly wants the drug user to be a minority.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rygar201 posted:

Can you explain to me how that could be racist? I know it's Mississippi so it might well be. Anyway, your beer laws are really weird. You can get your drivers license with 16 but can't buy a drink until five years later? That's just stupid.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Given the "Tech" on the side of that room, I assume Rall is really complaining about ageism in the tech industry. This is a genuine problem, but not a problem near the scale that current 20-somethings are facing. Of course, its Rall so he has to complain about it in the worst, most self-serving way possible.

Also note that tech companies aren't going to just hire you just because you're "smart," and this is not some deep injustice.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Can you explain to me how that could be racist? I know it's Mississippi so it might well be. Anyway, your beer laws are really weird. You can get your drivers license with 16 but can't buy a drink until five years later? That's just stupid.

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there is a stereotype that only black people drink Malt Liquor or high gravity beer, the types of beers that would b a affected by a law like this. Now, I obviously don't live in MS so I may be way off base but knowing southern white folks like I do I can easily see this being a racial thing.

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Rygar201 posted:

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there is a stereotype that only black people drink Malt Liquor or high gravity beer, the types of beers that would b a affected by a law like this. Now, I obviously don't live in MS so I may be way off base but knowing southern white folks like I do I can easily see this being a racial thing.

It's understandable to think that, but it really probably is just prohibition holdover. It has to do with what the state defines as a fermented malt beverage versus liquor. Some states with a cap like that still allow the sale of high gravity beer, but only in liquor stores. If a state outright bans liquor, then high gravity beer goes with it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Internet Webguy posted:

Does Mr. Media know his wife was out destroying the economy during the Bush years?

If only the media hadn't run that subprime mortgage scam. What a bunch of fuckers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It just occurred to me that Ms. Media is actually supposed to be Mainstream Media.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Have some Michigan political humor. Our governor CEO of the state aired an ad during the Superbowl that provided the goofiest face ever made by a grown man.

The ad in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-0zaKcWj0

That ad is pretty loving embarrassing, I mean it's no demon sheep or King Roy (the rat) but still.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Oh snap when did Holland annex Jutland?! Someone should let the Danes know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That ad is pretty loving embarrassing, I mean it's no demon sheep or King Roy (the rat) but still.
Even if they were dead-set on including a snorkeling scene, why film it in a pool? That just makes it looks so much weirder than if he was outdoors somewhere.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Internet Webguy posted:

Rall imagines a future ruled by shape-shifting Hitlers.

Shape-shifting indeed. If he can't get the skull-shape consistent, that's understandable. But in four panels he managed to draw Young Himmlerstein with three different noses and four different hairstyles. Holy loving Christ.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman, et al.

This is the worst loving cartoon.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Rygar201 posted:

Mississippi had Prohibition until 1966 when it the last state to repeal the law and definitions for beer and liquor were written as this;

quote:

In Mississippi, beer is a malt-based beverage that has no more than 8% alcohol by weight. Beer that has alcohol content greater than 8% by weight is not legal in Mississippi. Products that are wine-based and the alcohol content is less than 5% by weight are regulated like beer. These are called light wine products and are seen in the market typically as wine coolers. Beer and light wine cannot be sold in package stores. Likewise, alcoholic beverages cannot be sold in convenience or grocery stores.

An alcoholic beverage is either a distilled spirit or a wine product that contains more than 5% alcohol by weight. Products that are spirit-based (liquor) and that are less than 5% by weight are not legal in Mississippi. Alcoholic beverages are most often identified as items you may purchase in package stores.

(The new laws passed a few years ago made the beer up to 8% legal.)

I've never heard anything other than malt liquor particularly associated with black people here and nothing in the laws target that in particular. If the definitions of alcohol were Prohibition era and racially motivated there would just be a law that said "Negroes are not allowed to purchase from package stores." Because Jim Crow laws, those were around the entire time Mississippi had Prohibition.

So you're seeing racism where there probably isn't actually any this time, but you're also not thinking bold enough with how Mississippi would be racist.

Besides, if black people can't buy malt liquor you're creating work for the police who have to plant it on them instead of beating them for having it in the first place. :rolleye:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I could swear I've seen that before, and I turned this up....

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cartoon of the year. As well as several previous years.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Selachian posted:

At least he re-drew it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Air is lava! posted:

The minimum age to purchase alcohol in the US is 21 as established by federal law- drinking ages vary by state. Over the next few decades as neural development research progresses, there's a distinct possibility that the minimum age will actually rise to around 24.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 6, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Discendo Vox posted:

The minimum age to purchase alcohol in the US is 21 as established by federal law- drinking ages vary by state. Over the next few decades as neural development research progresses, there's a distinct possibility that the minimum age will actually raise to around 24.

Thank Catholic God

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So DbD fans believe that Obama has militarized the USPS? This is a real thing in their world?

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Selachian posted:

They're both references to a Watergate-era cartoon (by Paul Conrad? Google is failing me) depicting Nixon's name going down the drain. Whoever it was drew a follow-up for Clinton during the impeachment trial.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lycus posted:

So DbD fans believe that Obama has militarized the USPS? This is a real thing in their world?

As real as the black helicopters circling their houses and the New World Order.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Boy, I hope Tom Guycot leaves "This is true." alone, I actually enjoy how stilted and awkward that line is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Muir is apparently going by this article from Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/14/armed-epa-agents-in-alaska-shed-light-on-70-fed-agencies-with-armed-divisions/

Don't let the Fox News label scare you off, it's a fairly interesting read. Basically it's about how more government agencies have armed officers than you'd expect. Some of those "70 agencies" have only around five officers who work for them (they're stationed to help the agencies' Inspectors General).

But of course in Muirworld, this means that the government is so wastefully militarized that citizens are under threat of armed suppression by loving census takers, and of course this is somehow ALL OBAMA'S FAULT, because Chris Muir is too stupid to make distinctions between actual Obama policies and things he doesn't like.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 6, 2014

• Locked thread