Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

About 6.5 hours in. We've already done the trans fluid and filter. We're about 40% through the timing belt and all the extras too. Fun stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've been having some issues with my 2009 Rabbit lately (check engine light, shuddering while accelerating, especially while wet out) that seem to indicate that one or more of the ignition coils has gone bad. Not surprising as they're the originals, with 140k miles on the car. I was looking around online and it seems VW did a recall program for bad coils back around 2010 (I've moved since then, any letter they sent probably got lost in the mail). Unfortunately the recall website, https://www.vwcoils.com is no longer online.

Anyone want to venture a guess if my dealership would still honor the recall and replace them for free? I would just call and ask, but they're closed Sunday and I'd rather get this taken care of ASAP, before I have to go to work tomorrow. I would just replace them myself and try to get reimbursed, but I don't even know where I could buy the coils, other than the dealer or ordering off a website.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I remember that one, it was for vehicles up to 2007 so I think you're out of luck. You can double check here: http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/protection/recalls-campaigns.html

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If it helps it was done on my 06' A3 late last year, and in Canada too, so there doesn't seem to be a time limit.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I meant the recall only covers vehicles up to the 2007 model year, as far as I know there's not really a time limit on recalls.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, I pulled the coils out and checked the code stamped on top, I'm out of luck. I ended up finding an Autozone that had them in stock, so I picked up a set and will swap them out tomorrow morning.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I believe the R8 coils are cheaper and better replacements.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

I believe the R8 coils are cheaper and better replacements.

I'm gonna look into those - Autozone sold me someone's old OEM coil as new, and there's a VW dealership nearby that sells the R8s with NGK plugs for cheaper than Autozone's Duralasts and Autolites. I think a return is in order.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Toebone posted:

I'm gonna look into those - Autozone sold me someone's old OEM coil as new, and there's a VW dealership nearby that sells the R8s with NGK plugs for cheaper than Autozone's Duralasts and Autolites. I think a return is in order.

Hstuning sells them for 19 bucks each for the coils. I am planning on picking some up when needed for my GTI.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So in my A4, I have a bit of a lack of headroom. Maybe it's because of the sunroof, but I'm 6'1" and I can't really sit in the proper position (i.e. back straight and head against the headrest) without my head hitting the roof. I end up angling the back part of the seat about 10 degrees back. And yes I have the seat in the lowest possible position. Anyone else have this issue?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

actionjackson posted:

So in my A4, I have a bit of a lack of headroom. Maybe it's because of the sunroof, but I'm 6'1" and I can't really sit in the proper position (i.e. back straight and head against the headrest) without my head hitting the roof. I end up angling the back part of the seat about 10 degrees back. And yes I have the seat in the lowest possible position. Anyone else have this issue?

Nope, only 5'9 here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So I stuffed an MK6 head unit into my 07 GTI, including a Bluetooth adapter. Everything works great except for the microphone not picking up my voice when I try to use the Bluetooth to call someone (I can hear them through the speakers, they can't hear me at all). The phone seems to connect properly and music plays just fine. I've used Bluetooth calling with this phone in another car.

I'm not sure if anyone here has experience doing something like this? If so, I'd like some direction to what I can check next.

I see some sites mentioning having to do some coding to get Bluetooth to work, but I'm not sure this is my problem as the Bluetooth connects. And I don't have VAG-COM to try (anyone here have it in the Peoria area?).

The other problem may be the module being incompatible with the car, but I'd hate to start throwing money at new modules to chase that problem. I currently have a 9W2 bluetooth module (1K8 035 730 D).

It could also be the adapter harness that was wired improperly (ground and power were flipped), but I'm 90% sure I checked that the microphone wires were hooked up correctly.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Quick question for anyone with an APR tune: I see from APR's site that they set up serval modes, controllable using the cruise control buttons. Does that mean, if you set it to stock then take your car in for service, that the servicing dealer can find the tune and/or the software using the cc? Do dealers typically look for/find a tune?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Folderol posted:

Quick question for anyone with an APR tune: I see from APR's site that they set up serval modes, controllable using the cruise control buttons. Does that mean, if you set it to stock then take your car in for service, that the servicing dealer can find the tune and/or the software using the cc? Do dealers typically look for/find a tune?

As I understand if you flash your ECU the remap may permanently flag your car as modified. Setting it back to stock mode doesn't change it was flashed. Search for "TD1 flag".

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

As I understand if you flash your ECU the remap may permanently flag your car as modified. Setting it back to stock mode doesn't change it was flashed. Search for "TD1 flag".

Ok will do. Many thanks!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

actionjackson posted:

I'm 6'0" and have about an inch of headroom so I can see where you're coming from.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Folderol posted:

Good rule of thumb is to wait until you are out of your warranty period before doing a flash.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This thing would be amazing if they have 4Motion on the US models

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/new_york/2014/1404-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-4motion-concept-2014-new-york-auto-show/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Can anyone here confirm I installed a rear wheel bearing properly? Car is a 2006 Audi A3. I got a new SKF wheel bearing and a new bolt, torqued it to 150ft/lbs, and then used a breaker bar to turn it an additional 180 degrees. The howling is gone so I definitely got the right one, but I keep thinking I'm hearing a faint whirring back there and I'm paranoid I screwed up the install.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Uthor posted:

The other problem may be the module being incompatible with the car, but I'd hate to start throwing money at new modules to chase that problem. I currently have a 9W2 bluetooth module (1K8 035 730 D).

It could also be the adapter harness that was wired improperly (ground and power were flipped), but I'm 90% sure I checked that the microphone wires were hooked up correctly.

Any direction would be appreciated.

I am fairly sure that I have a 9w3 hanging around being useless from when I upgraded to a 9w7 if you want to give that a whack.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I am fairly sure that I have a 9w3 hanging around being useless from when I upgraded to a 9w7 if you want to give that a whack.

I could give it a shot! Send me an email turkosza at the gmails and we can discuss it?

I was reading this site and the concern I have is that the controller I have is for the "white MFD", though it doesn't seem to be an issue when streaming. Maybe I'll need the older Volk-L system? I dunno.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Isn't there supposed to be a dowel in there? 2006 A3 2.0t

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Uthor posted:

I could give it a shot! Send me an email turkosza at the gmails and we can discuss it?

I was reading this site and the concern I have is that the controller I have is for the "white MFD", though it doesn't seem to be an issue when streaming. Maybe I'll need the older Volk-L system? I dunno.

Mine is from my '10 jetta with the full size white MFD.

A warning that the 9w3 does not support a2dp streaming over bluetooth. That may be built into the new mk6 head unit but I am not sure. Still it would be worth the fuss to try the 9w3 to see if a 9w7 would be a permanent fix. They are a snap to swap.

edit: email sent.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 12, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

speedtek posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a dowel in there? 2006 A3 2.0t

BPY Engine code? If yes, then yes. I just changed the oil in the wife's passat, and there is a circular plastic cage in the center to help keep the filter from collapsing.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
BPY, yes. Thank you. Time to find a replacement housing!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Mine is from my '10 jetta with the full size white MFD.

A warning that the 9w3 does not support a2dp streaming over bluetooth. That may be built into the new mk6 head unit but I am not sure. Still it would be worth the fuss to try the 9w3 to see if a 9w7 would be a permanent fix. They are a snap to swap.

It would help rule out if it's the module or the mic or something else, at least. Honestly, I don't do much streaming or talking, but IL introduced a hands free law this year and I'd take talk over streaming in that case.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
I'm going to go look at an 86 Quantum Syncro with a "bad battery or alternator, but i drive it to work" with a fresh battery in hand. Anything else I should be worried about? The price seems too low, but in his post he says no lowballing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I'm looking forward to all of 7 people buying these new and then every enthusiast fighting to find one used.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I want to replace the little trim emblem on the shift knob on my Mk4 GTI, it's a bit worn.

Does anyone know offhand if the 5spd Beetle piece will fit? It's the only one I've been able to find online. Part 1A on the diagram: http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Gearshift-lever-upper-part-emblem/5148202/1C0711144A.html

I was hoping to find one from a junkyard but there are none near enough to make it worth the drive for such a small part.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

For that price you should just buy a whole new shift knob.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I haven't looked particularly hard, but the best price I've found for a stock-looking shift knob was about $45+shipping. I'm going to sell the car soon, otherwise I'd consider putting in a short shift kit and a totally new knob.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you not find an appropriately-sized VW emblem on a cheap keyring or whatever in a car parts store and just glue that on?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking forward to all of 7 people buying these new and then every enthusiast fighting to find one used.

VW Car and Driver edition

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

An AWD diesel wagon would be easily getting up into the same price as the R. Can pretty much guarantee we won't get an AWD that isn't an R or Audi.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about the headroom issue I mentioned a bit earlier - how important is it that my head is actually touching the headrest when driving? If I adjust the seat angle to something closer to upright my head touches, but then my head hits the sunroof. Should I just move the seat back as much as possible so I can get a bit lower in the chair by utilizing the legroom more?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Question about the headroom issue I mentioned a bit earlier - how important is it that my head is actually touching the headrest when driving? If I adjust the seat angle to something closer to upright my head touches, but then my head hits the sunroof. Should I just move the seat back as much as possible so I can get a bit lower in the chair by utilizing the legroom more?

The headrest is primarily there to save you from neck injuries / whiplash from rapid rear motion of your head during an accident, not for comfort (IMO). You should set it such that if your head does go flying backwards, it's there in a decent position to limit movement.

My head's almost never touching the headrest while driving, unless I'm really relaxed / leaning back a bit on a long drive at the end of the day or something like that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah your posture is probably hosed if you're contorted somehow into always resting your head on the headrest. It's more to keep your head from flying around as much in an accident.

Here's a good video that shows just how much your head can thrash around during a wreck, you can get really screwed up by this in even a relatively minor crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Pryor on Fire posted:

Here's a good video that shows just how much your head can thrash around during a wreck, you can get really screwed up by this in even a relatively minor crash:

It does much better when getting thrashed around between the pillars and windows than you'd think. Than you'd eventually think. :v:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

They should rename it, headrest makes it sound like your head should be resting on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
To be fair it is often called head restraint.