Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
42 is a favorite episode of mine even though it’s definitely got its’ problems. I like the deep space freighter concept and thought the set design was well done, and Tennant did a good job as both normal Doctor and the “possessed by the sun” Doctor. The concept was silly (a pub trivia contest to stop a self-destruct?) but the cast sold it completely straight. But it’s a case where the flaws are glaring enough to be seen and it takes the things that personally appeal to you to overcome them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

CobiWann posted:

But it’s a case where the flaws are glaring enough to be seen and it takes the things that personally appeal to you to overcome them.

I think you've summed up the entire show.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The other reason 42 was a Big Deal is that it was the first episode directed by someone who had also directed during the original run, Graeme Harper, who would end up doing a bunch more as well as episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures.

EDIT - Post-Fiftieth, it may not seem that big of a deal, but at the time the connections to the original series consisted mostly of one-off lines and monster re-imaginings.

DOUBLE EDIT - I should probably just shut up about this era until I deal with my grumpiness head-on and rewatch it.

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 11, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

After The War posted:

The other reason 42 was a Big Deal is that it was the first episode directed by someone who had also directed during the original run, Graeme Harper, who would end up doing a bunch more as well as episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures.

According to that link, it was actually the fifth episode of the new series that he had directed.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Diabolik900 posted:

According to that link, it was actually the fifth episode of the new series that he had directed.

poo poo, getting my chronology mixed up and continually forgetting about all the season 2 Cybermen episodes. My bad.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Celestial Toymaker shows up in a few Big Finish stories, right? I like that character more than I probably should, given the racist Fu Manchu look he had in the actual show.

Yes, he does. One lost story (The Nightmare Fair) and one 7th doctor story. If you're listening to all the 7th doctor audios anyway, then you'll get to him eventually, but if not it's audio 120, The Magic Mousetrap

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really like 42 and the Impossible Planet two-parter, but that's mostly because the astronaut-demon thing reminds me of Doom.

I love Doom.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What I remember about 42 was the original 'villain' guy wearing a wannabe Stormtrooper mask. It was like somebody did the original 90s version of WWE's Kane with an even smaller budget than the most budget-minded period of WWE.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Craptacular! posted:

What I remember about 42 was the original 'villain' guy wearing a wannabe Stormtrooper mask. It was like somebody did the original 90s version of WWE's Kane with an even smaller budget than the most budget-minded period of WWE.

IT BURN WHEN I PEE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really like 42 and the Impossible Planet two-parter, but that's mostly because the astronaut-demon thing reminds me of Doom.

I love Doom.

The doors in both episodes use the Doom sound effects when they open and close.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I know everyone knows those from Doom but they're in just about everything in television.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

DoctorWhat posted:

Which were in turn taken from a sound effects library.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Jerusalem posted:

Robot of Sherwood gifs - I made a lot because man I really enjoyed this episode.

Any possible way the karate shopy can be turned into avatar material?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Gaz-L posted:

...You know you can click the 'more episodes' button and it straight up says Nevermore is being played. Or click the 'more Doctor Who' link and it tells you it's on next Sunday at 6pm BST? They're clearly playing all of series 4 alongside the new TV season.

I don't think you can in the goofy iPlayer Radio Android app I usually use for that sort of thing. If you can then I don't know how to tap that screen I guess. That's pretty rad, then.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Here's my best attempt.

Even these new, more generous avatar sizes can still be tough to work with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't think you can in the goofy iPlayer Radio Android app I usually use for that sort of thing. If you can then I don't know how to tap that screen I guess. That's pretty rad, then.

:shobon: I suppose I assume anyone posting links or pictures is doing so from a computer, because I could never be bothered fiddling with that stuff on my phone or tablet.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Diabolik900 posted:

Here's my best attempt.

Even these new, more generous avatar sizes can still be tough to work with.

Ahh well I kind of figured it would be a bit to hard to manage, thanks big time for giving it a shot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll give it a shot a little later and see if I can do anything.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Does 12 have a leitmotif that I haven't noticed? It's honestly something I was looking forward to. 9 and 10 shared one, and 11 had I am the Doctor, and it looked like 12 was getting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZTNZ6vUubA

Then that didn't happen.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
So I just finished Jubilee tonight, guys.

:stare:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

I loved 11s hero music and has to be by far one of my favorites. I think its a little to early for 12 to have one right? Would have to go back and watch.

Oops I'm wrong, theme was in prisoner zero.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 12, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

Now go do The Holy Terror. And Deadline.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fighting Trousers posted:

Did you quite enjoy the singing Daleks?

Weren't they ever so much fun?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The following is an addendum to my immediately-previous post:

So I just listened to Deadline. I dunno how I'd put that off for so long. And I have some thoughts.

Robert Shearman, you utter BASTARD!

why would you do this to me

i thought we were friends

you follow me on Tumblr

we've shook hands

and then you turn around, travel back 11 years, and write Deadline!?

stop being so good, Rob. It's killing me, like radiation sickness. And I haven't got the appropriate gloves.

In all seriousness, Deadline is really super incredibly amazingly loving good and you should all listen to it immediately and unspoiled.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

LividLiquid posted:

Does 12 have a leitmotif that I haven't noticed? It's honestly something I was looking forward to. 9 and 10 shared one, and 11 had I am the Doctor, and it looked like 12 was getting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZTNZ6vUubA

Then that didn't happen.

I don't know if there are music examples on YouTube yet, but I've definitely noticed a Zimmeresque two-note thing similar to the Batman theme. You can hear it in Deep Breath after he reveals himself through the flesh mask and makes his big hero moment, and you can hear it in the background of the following two episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darth Freddy posted:

These any good?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

The following is an addendum to my immediately-previous post:

So I just listened to Deadline. I dunno how I'd put that off for so long. And I have some thoughts.

Robert Shearman, you utter BASTARD!

why would you do this to me

i thought we were friends

you follow me on Tumblr

we've shook hands

and then you turn around, travel back 11 years, and write Deadline!?

stop being so good, Rob. It's killing me, like radiation sickness. And I haven't got the appropriate gloves.

In all seriousness, Deadline is really super incredibly amazingly loving good and you should all listen to it immediately and unspoiled.

now listen to some 4th doctor adventures to lighten the mood

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hewlett posted:

I don't know if there are music examples on YouTube yet, but I've definitely noticed a Zimmeresque two-note thing similar to the Batman theme. You can hear it in Deep Breath after he reveals himself through the flesh mask and makes his big hero moment, and you can hear it in the background of the following two episodes.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard the resemblance. But yeah, pretty sure it's that one.

EDIT - for your convenience, it's this one (about 20 seconds in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Q3X5sLEck

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 12, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

now listen to some 4th doctor adventures to lighten the mood

Of which Season 1 with Leela and Season 2 with Fred (I) is on sale over the weekend to celebrate Tom Baker's birthday!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Of which Season 1 with Leela and Season 2 with Fred (I) is on sale over the weekend to celebrate Tom Baker's birthday!

Looks like the price doesn't apply to the full season package, so that package is actually actually more expensive than buying them all individually!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

That news post just made me notice that they don't adjust for exchange rates, because it says they're £6.29 each but they're also listed as $6.29 for me.
Soooo Americans basically get half-price audios? I can live with that.

Edit: if you haven't listened to any of these yet and are looking for just one to try out, I would suggest The Renaissance Man. Destination: Nerva was decent-yet-forgettable but I genuinely laughed out loud several times during Renaissance Man.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 12, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Edit: if you haven't listened to any of these yet and are looking for just one to try out, I would suggest The Renaissance Man. Destination: Nerva was decent-yet-forgettable but I genuinely laughed out loud several times during Renaissance Man.

When that loving dog follows up on the Doctor's suggestion I lost it :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

When that loving dog follows up on the Doctor's suggestion I lost it :allears:

Tom Baker gives one of my favorite lines of all time in, Trail of the White Wyrm, I think.

Upon meeting two people breaking and entering: "Hul-lo! Is is a private burglary, or can anyone join in?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tennant and.. who?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Tennant and.. who?
An actor who played a Roman man in The Fires of Pompeii later stars as a regular in Doctor Who.

Oh man, I've been rewatching season 4 of the revival. It is probably the season I've seen the least. It has a Sontaran two parter? That has to be the most obscure episodes of the entire new series. Anybody want to debate that? What is the most obscure (undiscussed, least watched) revival ep?

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 12, 2014

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Irish Joe posted:

Tennant and.. who?

Looks like Capaldi in "Fires of Pompeii"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That. Is a very poor caricature of Capaldi. It could be anyone.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I thought it was Roman Rory at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lampsacus posted:

Oh man, I've been rewatching season 4 of the revival. It is probably the season I've seen the least. It has a Sontaran two parter? That has to be the most obscure episodes of the entire new series. Anybody want to debate that? What is the most obscure (undiscussed, least watched) revival ep?

The Sontaran two-parter was pretty enjoyable for my first exposure to Doctor Who back when SyFy was going through Series 4. It's not great, but it isn't terrible either, in spite of the whole "the Doctor saves the day by igniting the Earth's atmosphere" thing. Apart from that there's not much else to talk about other than how well the Sontarans were done, and people don't seem to care much about the Sontarans.

• Locked thread