Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Me and Somberero. Sorry I haven't been super active in this game but I've been sick/starting a new job and also another game has been taking up what little usable brainspace I have atm so I've been pretty low effort here. I thought I had a pretty good reason for this pick but in hindsight it might have actually been a little dumb? I dunno. If we genuinely have no good leads today I don't mind being a token lynch to take my power out of consideration and also because I haven't been particularly active but if we have a solid rolecop that can help us and I didn't somehow gently caress with it I'm all ears.

Rock on, I investigated Rurea last night and got town. I'll start dropping some cases later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

NUMERRIK

quote:

numerrik posted:

##Vote Somberbrero

Turbo dunk incoming.

numerrik posted:

##vote anon
It's funny to ride the bandwagon y'all

numerrik posted:

Dunk Rurea all day erry day.

numerrik posted:

##vote MC Eating Disorder

*insert witty comment here about MCED*

numerrik posted:

Well I don't trust the bus driver and think you'll make this game very difficult I can see things are definitely going towards lumpen so I'll throw on my foot with them I can see the logic behind this.

##vote lumpen

The ratio of votes:reasoning doesn't skew in Numerrik's favor. In most cases, he is just following along with the majority, which feels scummy to me.

numerrik posted:

Wow, that was certainly a turn of events. God drat. Is it D2 yet, or are we in the middle of N1? Either way, I should be at full steam Monday as my absurdly long work hours end Saturday, so I can start playing more.

Excellent - who are your two scummiest suspects right now and why? Also

numerrik posted:

For the record, I didn't commute last night.

Why not?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Woops I forgot I was in this game. Looks like everyone found out my secret, thanks MT! I think numerrik is pretty suspicious, I'll try to read some of this game today and post some real thoughts.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, I'm content to vote Numerrik today.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

MET

Met posted:

Hey Hal, can you poison TheRam?

Eh, too slow of a death.

##vote: TheRam

I just can't help but feel that if you're scum, you're really mixing me up with these crazy plans. And with this many town, I buy Tracker as a scum role this game.

CPig: Absorber (Defensive)
Narc: Roleblocker (Disruptive)
Ram?: Tracker (Investigative)

That right there is the holy trinity of scum teams.

Going after the claimed Tracker is highly suspect to me, because in the event that TheRam was town (which a scum Met would obviously know), lynching TheRam would have been really good for scum. Plus Met hadn't put any attention on TheRam prior to that - going from no (known) read to voting for him for being a tracker doesn't feel like a real reaction to me.

Met posted:

I had to check the PM. Unconfirmed.That's odd. I just googled it. I've never seen that concept before.

Ernie is my mason partner.

- Does this mean you started the game thinking that you and Ernie were confirmed town?
- You knew what JOAT and Absorber were, but not Unconfirmed masons?

Met posted:

##unvote

Here's a plan for tonight.

Claimed Roles
Doctor
Tracker
Cop
Bus Driver
Poisoner
Commuter

Doctor protects Tracker or Cop.
-Mafia have a 50% fail rate here, 100% everywhere else.

Tracker and Cop
-Go do something productive.

Bus Driver
-Do whatever you want. It doesn't matter. Aim to protect key roles. But you must tell us exactly what you did the next day.
-Mafia have to kill you to keep us confused for the past night's actions OR you have a chance of redirecting their kill.

Poisoner
-Please don't do anything ever.

This strategy gives our investigative roles a fighting chance to find out useful information for us. Mafia have to either risk the 50% Doctor chance to kill one of them or go for a less interesting role. The Bus Driver has a small chance to disrupt the Mafia kill and if he does, we'll be able to remove scum candidates. Since everyone claimed a role, everyone can say what they did on the previous night and we have a great shot of working this out just from role information.

This seems like it was a lot of words to post "the doctor should protect the cop or tracker" and feels like an attempt to generate content. And it also feels counterintuitive given that he voted TheRam for trying to plan towns' moves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Murmur Twin posted:

Going after the claimed Tracker is highly suspect to me, because in the event that TheRam was town (which a scum Met would obviously know), lynching TheRam would have been really good for scum. Plus Met hadn't put any attention on TheRam prior to that - going from no (known) read to voting for him for being a tracker doesn't feel like a real reaction to me.

People who argued against TheRam after the tracker claim:

merk posted:

Can we please lynch TheRam right now?

Somberbrero posted:

Sure.

##vote TheRam

Ernie. posted:

##vote theram

Ernie. posted:

lumpen over merk

theram over both

Murmur Twin posted:

This seems like it was a lot of words to post "the doctor should protect the cop or tracker" and feels like an attempt to generate content. And it also feels counterintuitive given that he voted TheRam for trying to plan towns' moves.

Yeah, I told the Doctor to protect the Tracker or Cop and then took the 50% chance to kill TheRam. You caught me. :rollseyes:

His arguments were lengthy and hostile. No one was going to work with him to accomplish anything. I provided a concise and simple plan that would give the town the best chance with a plan being made... and you think I gave the town a plan and then tried to kill one of the two most likely people to be protected.

Murmur Twin posted:

- Does this mean you started the game thinking that you and Ernie were confirmed town?
- You knew what JOAT and Absorber were, but not Unconfirmed masons?

Argument from incredulity

You might be a cop, but your arguments are piss-poor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:rolleyes:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Can we just lunch Numerrik and play the night action game again?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The ratio of votes:reasoning doesn't skew in Numerrik's favor. In most cases, he is just following along with the majority, which feels scummy to me.

Excellent - who are your two scummiest suspects right now and why? Also

Why not?
[/quote]
In order, I am new to this and didn't have much time to play when I was running o/t. I have more time now, as for scum, I would say Hal and merk, because I don't trust that Hal isn't faking to cover his night kills, for merk, lurking and claiming to be vanilla, I honestly believe there are more roles.

For not commuting, I can't do it two nights in a row, and I didn't want to be dunked n1.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I received a role PM from Opo stating that I die at the same time as the lynch flip.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, according to Hal's claim, merk will die at the end of this day phase. If he doesn't, we just hang Hal.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

numerrik posted:

For not commuting, I can't do it two nights in a row, and I didn't want to be dunked n1.

"dunked" is their word for lynching, not dying ever. At least I think.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Met posted:

You might be a cop, but your arguments are piss-poor.

I'm just asking questions! :foxnews:

Did you start the game thinking that you and Ernie were confirmed town?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm just asking questions! :foxnews:

Did you start the game thinking that you and Ernie were confirmed town?

Duh? I thought I made it clear I didn't know what an unconfirmed mason was.

I came in slightly late and my role PM was a forward from Poque. I got the basic information "Town, Mason, Ernie" and went reading the game thread.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm going to throw this out there: Most mods would have rerandomized the scum list if you pulled a CPig, Newbie, Newbie scum team.

I don't know whether Opo falls under 'most' or not.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
With an SK role, we could have a Scum SK Cop or a Scum Doctor.

I guess what I'm saying is: The last scum is probably some veteran player that you aren't going to catch with some magic role-based plan.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Are cops investigations 'magic' now?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Are cops investigations 'magic' now?

I'm amazed that I have to spell this out for someone who played in so many games:

It could be a Scum SK Cop lying about results or a Vanilla Scum lying about results.

The last scum could be a Godfather which makes the investigation results meaningless.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you aren't building cases on players based on day 1 interactions with flipped scum, you're going to lose this game. The last scum is now playing like a Survivor and may have something in his or her tool set to counteract a role-based conclusion to this game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Merk, it could even be a magic Scum Doctor. :tinfoil:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Whatever, good luck.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

merk posted:

If you aren't building cases on players based on day 1 interactions with flipped scum, you're going to lose this game. The last scum is now playing like a Survivor and may have something in his or her tool set to counteract a role-based conclusion to this game.

For what it's worth, this sounds quite reasonable.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

I'm amazed that I have to spell this out for someone who played in so many games:

It could be a Scum SK Cop lying about results or a Vanilla Scum lying about results.

quote:

The last scum could be a Godfather which makes the investigation results meaningless.

I have to imagine that if/as the game goes on, scum is going to eventually NK me and it will be clear I was town. Other than that, all you're saying is that we should be making cases on scum suspects which seems like a given to me.

Do you have a reason to think Somber or I are scum, or are you just saying that it's a possibility?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm saying that there is very little scum hunting in this game, and it's going to cost us the game if it continues this way. The best case made so far today is mine on Amoeba which is two lines.

I've won in this situation as scum in a much larger game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

I'm saying that there is very little scum hunting in this game, and it's going to cost us the game if it continues this way. The best case made so far today is mine on Amoeba which is two lines.

I've won in this situation as scum in a much larger game.

Murmur Twin posted:

AMEOBA102

I dunno, right now I can totally see a world where Amoeba is the last scum. It seems like he's been willing to go after everyone but seemed to glance over CPig and defend ANarc. ##vote Ameoba102

(click link for full post, I snipped it for formatting)

merk posted:

- Why didn't you suspect Amoeba back on D2 when I cased him? Nothing you cited is new information.

- What are your thoughts on Numerrik and Met?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

- Why didn't you suspect Amoeba back on D2 when I cased him? Nothing you cited is new information.

You don't need to ask probing questions to try to figure out my alignment; I'm dead at the end of the day. I'm suspecting Amoeba now because I made a new case after seeing that TheRam isn't scum. It's that simple.

quote:

- What are your thoughts on Numerrik and Met?

I don't think Numerrik is the last scum because I believe most mods would have re-randomized a CPig, Narc, Numerrik scum team.

It could be Met. My case on him is all tone though. Something feels Survivory off reading him in isolation, like he's not actually trying to find scum and instead dinging around on other players.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Here are my notes for what they're worth.

Who did you protect last night, Somb?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I dunno if that's something I should be telling.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Probably a good idea, yeah. Scum don't need to pick up a pattern from you.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

You don't need to ask probing questions to try to figure out my alignment; I'm dead at the end of the day. I'm suspecting Amoeba now because I made a new case after seeing that TheRam isn't scum. It's that simple.

Fair enough - upon further reflection my questioning you was possibly an emotional reaction to saying you had the best D3 case after (a) repeating stuff I said about Amoeba and (b) ignoring stuff I said about Met/Numerrik.

quote:

I don't think Numerrik is the last scum because I believe most mods would have re-randomized a CPig, Narc, Numerrik scum team.

I've never modded a game so I don't really have a feel for if that's correct or not.

quote:

It could be Met. My case on him is all tone though. Something feels Survivory off reading him in isolation, like he's not actually trying to find scum and instead dinging around on other players.

In the case of Met I lean town. He said started the game thinking Ernie was confirmed town, and on a reread his D1 posts seem to back that up. If anything, I'm content to trust Ernie's read on Met so far.

MCED and Amoeba are the next two people I plan to take a good look at today. I'd be suspicious of Merk or Hal but am content to see how the poisoning plays out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Murmur Twin posted:

I've never modded a game so I don't really have a feel for if that's correct or not.

I don't ever do this.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

other than the re-randomized scum team merk is making good sense. Kind of sorry I poisoned him now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

other than the re-randomized scum team merk is making good sense. Kind of sorry I poisoned him now.

Even Ecco admitted to fudging the scum team if it came out all newbie in the Discussion Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2456022&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post351816729

There's a more recent discussion than that post, but I couldn't find it with the search thing in ten seconds.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

Even Ecco admitted to fudging the scum team if it came out all newbie in the Discussion Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2456022&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post351816729

There's a more recent discussion than that post, but I couldn't find it with the search thing in ten seconds.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2456022&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post351804444

Also, Ecco, if you're searching for yourself: you yelled at me in a game for telling you that your setup was not very fun. You seem to have forgotten this post:

quote:

This is something we as a community have always tried to dodge without any serious discussion, and I'm hoping to start the conversation. It seems to me that it is a moderator's place to ensure that a game is, first and foremost, enjoyable. If players aren't having fun, then they're not playing, they're working. However intimately tied to this is the idea of "fairness," that every faction in the game, if their victory means the end of the game, has an equal chance of attaining it at the start of the game. It seems to me moderators have an obligation to make a game fair AND enjoyable fo their players, and this would justify going into a game after the RNG has been made and doing a "second edit," fixing gross imbalances that could not be taken into account without knowing every player's role.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

Don't feel sorry. He's only got himself to blame .

As for re-randomisation. It's irrelevant mod/setup speculation. Vote on post content and information like that not some nebulous idea of how Opop would fudge a team if he were to.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amoeba102 posted:

Vote on post content and information

Go ahead. Please make that vote.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'll vote Amoeba or Numerrik and I definitely don't super care which.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh wait, Numberman is a Hider, that's testable.

Why did Opop say Commuter rather than Hider? I have never seen anyone use that term while playing SA mafia. Kinda tastes like a fakeclaim.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hider hides behind someone, commuter is just untargetable.

The distinction is the hider can die if they hide behind the wrong person, ie scum or the nightkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

merk posted:

Go ahead. Please make that vote.

Yeah man. I'm working on it. My primary read* just got got a town result on them from the cop.

*From a reduced pool of players excluding the soon to be dead.

• Locked thread