Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
I think Sandi really was the brains behind PR and CS and she did a very good job of innovating on those areas and making SC as successful as it is.
If there are internal difficulties, I feel that could be because her role was extended beyond those areas. The employee complaints do follow a thread of "don't upset Sandi". This makes no sense as people don't have much to do with PR and CS was set up by Sandi, but then later delegated by her to Chelsea / CS Managers. This suggest that her role and influence extended beyond the original parameters, at least in one office, and possible more (if you follow the lines of the WM/SG divide).
It is never good if too many roles overlap, if there are too many people to please, or "managers" don't really have the power to truly affect decisions and change. It is a recipe for undermining your team and causing a lot of issues.
I don't know the extent of the problems yet, though everyone has opinions, you can't get back wasted money nor turn back time and reverse terrible decisions. What you need to do though is remove the ego, acknowledge the problem, remove conflicts of interest, have a empowered upper management, say "mistakes were made" and bring in some experts (Maybury, who is gone...) to to create a realistic timeframe, break the truth to backers, and remove impediments to development and release (CR if he can't stop himself having his fingers in everything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jethro_E7 posted:

I think Sandi really was the brains behind PR and CS and she did a very good job of innovating on those areas and making SC as successful as it is.
If there are internal difficulties, I feel that could be because her role was extended beyond those areas. The employee complaints do follow a thread of "don't upset Sandi". This makes no sense as people don't have much to do with PR and CS was set up by Sandi, but then later delegated by her to Chelsea / CS Managers. This suggest that her role and influence extended beyond the original parameters, at least in one office, and possible more (if you follow the lines of the WM/SG divide).
It is never good if too many roles overlap, if there are too many people to please, or "managers" don't really have the power to truly affect decisions and change. It is a recipe for undermining your team and causing a lot of issues.
I don't know the extent of the problems yet, though everyone has opinions, you can't get back wasted money nor turn back time and reverse terrible decisions. What you need to do though is remove the ego, acknowledge the problem, remove conflicts of interest, have a empowered upper management, say "mistakes were made" and bring in some experts (Maybury, who is gone...) to to create a realistic timeframe, break the truth to backers, and remove impediments to development and release (CR if he can't stop himself having his fingers in everything).

What are your opinions on people who bleach their assholes?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Tarranon posted:

i don't even look at how much humble bundles cost these days

I feel you bro. Lightin cigars with 100 dollar bills these days.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I wish Samsung made cigars :(

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

i really wish both croberts and smart would stop trying to make this a gamergate thing. smart and his GG friends arent any less of obnoxious shitheads because they finally realuzed croberts scammed them and croberts being friends with vox "half-savage" day and the dickwulf saga dont really give him any moral legs to stand on.

I feel torn about this as well. Like, I'm really rooting for Derek here, but I also feel conflicted about it.

It reminds me of something you'd see in Game of Thrones / Breaking Bad / The Wire (maybe? I never saw it). An anti-hero (or villain protagonist?) with a checkered past is locked in a battle with an incompetent villain at the head of a fanatical deranged cult, and they are both trying to get a morally reprehensible third party to throw it's weight in on their side.

Victory... But at what cost?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Every time a humble bundle comes up I look at which games are on it and buy them individually from steam.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Whoa this thread jumped 700 posts, what the hell happened?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Edit: In other news, don't watch Wing Commander. It is beyond awful and completely boring.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 8, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doctor Butts posted:

Dreams happened

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

They finally released the FPS module and most people have been saying good things.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They finally released the FPS module and most people have been saying good things.

It's good

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Edit: In other news, don't watch Wing Commander. It is beyond awful and completely boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFw56Mv1w

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That space bulldozer really swept the stage if you ask me.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I feel torn about this as well. Like, I'm really rooting for Derek here, but I also feel conflicted about it.

It reminds me of something you'd see in Game of Thrones / Breaking Bad / The Wire (maybe? I never saw it). An anti-hero (or villain protagonist?) with a checkered past is locked in a battle with an incompetent villain at the head of a fanatical deranged cult, and they are both trying to get a morally reprehensible third party to throw it's weight in on their side.

Victory... But at what cost?

anyone that is at all involved with gamer gate for or against is an idiot

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SHE'S OUTSIDE THE AIRLOCK ONLY THE SPACE JANITOR CAN SURVIVE OUT THERE!

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sillybones posted:

It's almost as if CR actually doesn't have a clue about the art of movie making and thought being a director just meant choosing what he liked from what his underlings produced-- kinda like an ala carte buffet...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Reminder: There was an equally bad Wing Commander cartoon as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I'm gonna embarrass myself. But every second line that girl had in the film referenced having balls and not in a 'daredevil' way. What?

Edit: ALSO the movie opens with a bunch of ships kamikaze'ing something and the sound effects seem to have no connect at all to the visuals. It was really jarring and not a good omen.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 8, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

What this video doesn't show you is that it is completely his fault that her ship was damaged and she needed to land in the first place. He was doing life-endangering goofy poo poo the entire movie to everyone in the cast and he barely gets slapped on the wrist, and then Freddie Prince Jr. successfully argues that he should still be allowed to fly after man-slaughtering his girlfriend. If you watch this video without context you miss ALOT of the important themes.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Roflan posted:

It's almost as if CR actually doesn't have a clue about the art of movie making and thought being a director just meant choosing what he liked from what his underlings produced-- kinda like an ala carte buffet...

For someone obsessed with space he doesn't have a clue about how it works either. Not to be pedantic nerdlinger, but why space bulldoze that space ship off the space flight deck? Do the other ships running out of fuel need constant thrust to maintain space lift to keep the space air flowing over their space wings so they don't fall out of space or something?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im the dirty talk in this clip

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

For someone obsessed with space he doesn't have a clue about how it works either. Not to be pedantic nerdlinger, but why space bulldoze that space ship off the space flight deck? Do the other ships running out of fuel need constant thrust to maintain space lift to keep the space air flowing over their space wings so they don't fall out of space or something?

This is all explained in the DVD commentary track of the deluxe edition Blu-Ray but I can't remember what it says in detail.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bolow posted:

Reminder: There was an equally bad Wing Commander cartoon as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

More like Winge Commander, am I right?

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
:10bux: says the ship name Beer posted was a red herring, made on the assumption that goons would immediately ruin everything and obfuscated just enough to make it believable. Meanwhile, he and D-Smizzle are sitting safely on the REAL name, and will tweet/post it right as the presentation starts and it's too late for CIG to do anything about it.

Much, much funnier that way.

peter gabriel posted:

I wish Samsung made cigars :(

peter gabriel: Cigar Citizen

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Jethro_E7 posted:

The leaks referenced 'Game of Thrones-like' conditions at the office, and called CR Joffrey. Guess who Sandi is? She obviously influences everything.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Roflan posted:

I think honestly his problem, even back the Wing Commander movie, is that he feels he's never had enough money. If only he had more the effects would be better. If only he could have a better cast etc. He's like Hitler in that way. Some lovely art people don't like and dude loses it. Just this time it's not ovens and genocide, but. Jpegs and a. "A list cast" .

Kidding aside. It's just another failure of Hollywood, a story that's played out a million times. This guy just happened to be good at convincing people to part with their money, as has clearly been shown.

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

I was feeling nice yesterday and tried to make them a new ship. They didn't like it. :smith: I don't get it, its got more pixels than some of the ones CIG released already.

Hard to please, some people.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

VenusRedux posted:

I was feeling nice yesterday and tried to make them a new ship. They didn't like it. :smith: I don't get it, its got more pixels than some of the ones CIG released already.

No toilets :ssh:

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This is all explained in the DVD commentary track of the deluxe edition Blu-Ray but I can't remember what it says in detail.

A criterion release should have been a stetch goal, there must be dozens of people yearning for one (Ben counts for at least 6 of them).

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

VenusRedux posted:

weird...did you tell them it came with lti? how many modules can it support? seems fine to me... :?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

VenusRedux posted:

Does it shoot un-acomplishable estimates and incomplete modules from its blow hole too? If so I'd fly that thing all over the crobertsverse.

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

peter gabriel posted:

What are your opinions on people who bleach their assholes?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a superhornet?

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

Tarranon posted:

weird...did you tell them it came with lti? how many modules can it support? seems fine to me... :?

That's what I'm doing wrong. I thought it was because It didn't have a space background at first so this is actually the second attempt. Third times a charm.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Does it shoot un-acomplishable estimates and incomplete modules from its blow hole too? If so I'd fly that thing all over the crobertsverse.

I call the blow hole the "Reverse Funnel System".

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

VenusRedux posted:

That's what I'm doing wrong. I thought it was because It didn't have a space background at first so this is actually the second attempt. Third times a charm.

I call the blow hole the "Reverse Funnel System".

Flip it upside down and look again.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

HKS posted:

The leaks referenced 'Game of Thrones-like' conditions at the office, and called CR Joffrey. Guess who Sandi is? She obviously influences everything.
Hodor?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ben Lesnick compared to Waylon Manderly

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Wafflz posted:

wtf is Twin Bros GMBH? how many companies is the money spread between?

Follow the money man :tinfoil:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shala posted:

I feel you bro. Lightin cigars with 100 dollar bills these days.

pff I light them with the receipts for space jpegs

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Also I noticed before DSmart vindicated himself with the new spaceship name, the one being passed around was the "Espera Prowler" which is cool because as a vague scifi word Espera is absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

http://freyermuth.net/about-us

You paid for a game, you got a refund from a movie company.

:master:

• Locked thread