Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I wonder if the forum mods' inaction can be interpreted as an accessory to fraud?

Unless you can prove their prior knowledge of the fraud - no.

e: maned uncatte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Ash1138 posted:

And stuff like grabby hands and manual cargo loading? gently caress. And these people complain that it takes to long to fly places in Elite?

I love the expectations that Shitizens have for "grabby hands." They literally think that they will be able to pick up any box, rotate it in their hand, peel the space-tape back, open it up, pull the contents out of the box individually, and manipulate each of those items in the box as separate entities.

How? With a mouse? With their joystick? For this to even be possible we're looking at a VR-type controller that doesn't even exist yet. But somehow, "grabby hands" is just another feature that is almost ready, as soon as they flip the switch.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

imperialparadox posted:

I know that this is only a minor aside to the point that you are making, but I've always wonder about this: Given how fast graphical power progresses in the realm of computer gaming, and given how long Star Citizen is going to take to come out (let's assume that it actually comes out at some point, a big stretch, I know), how will Croberts react when his game launches a decade from now and looks like a last-generation console game?

Will he grin and bear it?

Or given his penchant for "fidelity" will he order another refactoring of the pipelines and redo everything yet again?

I'd say likely the latter, which is probably one of the main reasons why this game will never release.

It's funny when you think about it, because at it's very core CIG is constantly working against itself. The idea of having "the best graphics in the business" is absolutely counter to the idea of having a "living, breathing universe with hundreds of players and ships in the same instance at once." IF SC"s graphics were knocked down a peg a) ships would be faster to produce and b) the network would have an easier time handling the game, but due to Robert's passion for "fidelity" he's constantly trying to make an impossible game.

It will be released. There's no question about that. I still agree with Dr. Smart's original prognosis. It won't be released as it has been sold. It will be limited. It will be buggy. It won't have 100 unique star systems handcrafted artisanally by the Crobbler's finest design chefs. It won't seamlessly instance an entire universe of people together so they can have big battles. It will be very similar to existing MMOs in style (FPS, crafting, basic economy).

In 2 or 3 more years when engines are even better he won't throw away everything he's built when the game is actually in some ways close to release. They will just release a lovely game and call it a great one. I'm sorry if that's disappointing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

imperialparadox posted:

I love the expectations that Shitizens have for "grabby hands." They literally think that they will be able to pick up any box, rotate it in their hand, peel the space-tape back, open it up, pull the contents out of the box individually, and manipulate each of those items in the box as separate entities.

How? With a mouse? With their joystick? For this to even be possible we're looking at a VR-type controller that doesn't even exist yet. But somehow, "grabby hands" is just another feature that is almost ready, as soon as they flip the switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66oK2491-bI&t=465s

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Achamp posted:

I don't think this is going anywhere:

Option 1: He's Toast or another CIG employee

He'll never admit it and continue to grasp at any defensive handhold available.

Option 2: He's a troll

He'll likely never admit it and will continue to enjoy playing a fake CIG employee with poor reasoning/communication skills

Option 3: He's a sincere Star Citizen fan

He's already spent somewhere between $1,000 to $20,000 on a pipe dream. This is how he justifies that sunk cost, by fighting the good fight as a lemming for the Crobbler. In 3 to 4 years he'll still be talking about the Best drat Space Sim Ever when the game releases with graphics that are 10 years old, and a very limited feature list.

I desperately hope that it is Option 1, because at least in that scenario he's getting paid for this poo poo. Additionally, he probably knows how terrible the game is and hasn't dumped money into Chris Roberts' fidelitous adventure: "Pledge Commander".

I hope it's 1, although 2 and 3 are actually the least pathetic. Because trolls will be trolls and idiots will be idiots. If its 1, then it means CIG is actively engaged in spreading mis-information about consumer rights and what the state of the project is under the guise of being an outside party. Not only does this strengthen the argument that actual fraud is occurring, but it confirms that CIG knows how dire things are, but can't do anything but insist that everything is fine and the Emperor is fully clothed even while everyone talks about his genital warts.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

holy gently caress thank you I lol'd irl

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

imperialparadox posted:

Yes, but on the other hand it's also impractical and pointless.

I know that this doesn't really qualify for an “on the other hand” in the conventional sense, but this is SC so there you go.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Turmoil posted:

I like how at 58 seconds the cabin from the wreckage is casting a shadow of an entirely different ship.

OH
MY
loving
GOD
:vince:

:psyboom:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The most iconic arm in gaming history.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

hooooooooooow

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope it's 1, although 2 and 3 are actually the least pathetic. Because trolls will be trolls and idiots will be idiots. If its 1, then it means CIG is actively engaged in spreading mis-information about consumer rights and what the state of the project is under the guise of being an outside party. Not only does this strengthen the argument that actual fraud is occurring, but it confirms that CIG knows how dire things are, but can't do anything but insist that everything is fine and the Emperor is fully clothed even while everyone talks about his genital warts.

Counterpoint: I can respect a troll. CIG Employees?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

OH
MY
loving
GOD

The shadow is not from that floating debris, there's an out of frame i350r

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

OH
MY
loving
GOD

:magical:

It's as if someone took the term “stencil shadow” to mean you use a 2D stencil to project decals of shadows.
I mean, that was a really neat trick for nearly penalty-free shadows when you needed proper twitch-gaming speeds in UT2k3, but as the name suggests, that was in 2003…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 23, 2016

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Behold the majestic fidelity in its natural habitat.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

lol ya that turned ugly fast.

Got to love that Max Leandre, says you can't trust what CIG has said in the past because that was just marketing and hype, including videos of SM, yet you should definitely trust what CIG are saying now. Of course this is the same guy that said you should not judge CIG on its own history and anything that happened in the past does not count. Its really telling that the mods are not stepping in this time, normally they would have closed the thread or at lest handed out bans(reason I have not posted much in that thread, I keep getting band with out any explanation). Especially since one of the mods has stated that he is a fanboy of CIG and does not care if the game ever releases, and another has stated that he is fine with CIG scamming people as long as it helps them bring in money.

I find it funny that Max is quick to say anyone with a negative opinion is 'bashing' SC. It's almost as if he wants to start an argument...

Well, if he wants to put it that way, then yes they are 'bashing' SC, but there's a reason that they're doing it. Notwithstanding the fact that he's chosen to post on the forum of a competing game (and almost entirely in the SC thread), the site is essentially the home of the fanboys of that competing game.

The biggest reason for the 'bashing' though, is because what CIG have released to date is COMPLETE UNADULTERATED poo poo (albeit with pretty graphics - but only when they're not moving). The excuse of it being early days for development doesn't work anymore. People are expecting major progress by now, and the lack of it is telling.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SirPhoebos posted:

What CIG said was that they were only going to use backer funds to build the game.

What CIG did was spend backer money on weapons of misinformation to use against their own client base. It's devious, really.

I hope the FTC guts CIG so that people can FOIA some information on which accounts on which forums were under the control of Crobberts and company.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tippis posted:

:magical:

It's as if someone took the term “stencil shadow” to mean you use a 2D stencil to project decals of shadows.
I mean, that was a really neat trick for nearly penalty-free shadows when you needed proper twitch-gaming speeds in UT2k3, but as the name suggests, that was in 2003…

That front piece of an Aurora hull is casting a shadow for a full 300 series ship. What the ever living gently caress is going on. HOW. How is this abortion of a tech demo this hosed up?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Daztek posted:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Lotta pro cat gifs today.

http://i.imgur.com/B1CWqMl.gifv

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

In that case, it just look ugly and glitchy and silly and still like it was made in 2003. Also, where's the shadow from the debris?

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
Crobberts' Reverse

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

Barn Folk posted:

What CIG said was that they were only going to use backer funds to build the game.

What CIG did was spend backer money on weapons of misinformation to use against their own client base. It's devious, really.

I hope the FTC guts CIG so that people can FOIA some information on which accounts on which forums were under the control of Crobberts and company.

Pretty clever loophole they took in that though. They used backer money to hire people to make JPEGS. Then they sold those JPEGS for more money. Then they used that money to hire more people to make JPEGS, and then they decided to just hype a single player FPS because it's "part of the game".

Don't worry about that little dip in the coffer to buy some coffee machines, sliding doors, Porsches and vacations. They've had going on 4 years to build something that is not dogshit.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Achamp posted:

I get the joke, but why is this guy's office space hospital levels of sterile? Nothing on the wall other than that big ugly work mural that's covered up. No pictures. Nothing on his desk. No mugs, personal items, pictures. It looks like it is either that guy's first or last day on the job.

a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/330502

Disco Lando posted:

Greetings Citizens!

We're on the road to Buccaneer Town.

Buccaneer Town is a beautiful place. Beautiful in it's "used future" kinda way. Those of you who followed on Social Media this week saw us unveil the first image of the Drake Buccaneer a week prior to it's concept sale, and we couldn't be happier with the way it's been received. The Buccaneer is your first real glimpse at the revised Drake style guide that is informing the current in-game modeling of the Caterpillar, the Herald, and the eventual Cutlass revamp.

We want Drake to become a cohesive family of ships, whose individual roles also serve to help the collective. With that in mind, we have an All-Buccaneer episode of Around the Verse coming at you this week, with stats, new images, and a behind the scenes look at the process and thinking that went into creating our newest concept ship.

But before that Thursday, we have our Special Subscribers Edition Reverse the Verse on Wednesday, with guests from the LA Design and Art teams. We're very proud of our Subscriber Edition RTVs, and this week's should be no exception. Be sure you check it out LIVE, or watch the replay on YouTube later in the day.

And then on Friday we launch the Drake Buccaneer concept sale, where you'll see the full reveal.

quote:

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, May 23th
- [1500 PDT / 2200 UTC] 10 for the Developers - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, May 24th
- Lore Post
- Vault Update

Wednesday, May 25th
- [1100 PDT / 1800 UTC] Subscribers Edition Reverse the Verse - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- Jump Point Rerun

Thursday, May 26th
- [1200 PDT / 1900 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.33 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, May 27th
- [1100 PDT / 1800 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nicholas posted:

a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind

Thewire.txt

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

MeLKoR posted:

OH
MY
loving
GOD

hahahahahahahaha

e: i dont care i laughed and enjoyed it

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Space Turbines!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The wings could be for atmospheric flight and the turbines with air inlets could be so that the engines can use atmosphere as reaction mass to save fuel, but I doubt they even put that much thought into it.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

how would this ship move in any direction except "forward"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

you know its a pirate ship because of the skull and cross bones. which is an extremely smart thing for any would be pirate to announce to the world.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nicholas posted:

Spin the turbines in reverse, IDIOT.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

we changed how the drake ships look so sorry if you bought them based on how they look!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nicholas posted:

you know its a pirate ship because of the skull and cross bones. which is an extremely smart thing for any would be pirate to announce to the world.

It's for hipster pirates who keep the PVP slider at a minimum

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

what the hell is a single crew pirate ship supposed to accomplish anyway. you cant commandeer another ship without ditching your own and theres nowhere to store cargo

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

im having a meltdown

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Nicholas posted:

im having a meltdown

we're here for you

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nicholas posted:

im having a meltdown

nice

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Nicholas posted:

Easy: Very slowly

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You were going to ram anyway... or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

So 2.4 about to release and all they are going to talk about is the next ship sale? Even cig must realise 2.4 is a joke.

• Locked thread