Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

We need a n-dimensional ideology space, where each dimension corresponds to one of the policies/reforms in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Darkrenown posted:

I was the de facto designer for Reaper's and am now the de jure one too, Doomdark remains the game director though. He's pretty hands off and is also working on a new thing. I don't think we've really mentioned it but we have a Game director/game designer/project lead setup going on for all of our games now with the first doing most of the high level design, the second mostly doing details/implementation/balance, and the third trying to keep the crazy ideas of the first two in check and everything on time/budget.

Game director and designer could be described as a Sith method as well. Always two there are, a master and an aporentice.

Some more chaotic view it as Jedi Knight and Padawan...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We need to get away from this stale and limited idea of politics on an axis, when there is so much potential for mixing and matching. Give us something like the skill tree from Path of Exile.

I'm thinking something that works sorta similar to National Ideas and Church Aspects in EU4, allowing you to tune the national ideology of your country to your heart's content.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pdxjohan posted:

Game director and designer could be described as a Sith method as well. Always two there are, a master and an aporentice.

Some more chaotic view it as Jedi Knight and Padawan...

lmao, johan pls

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We need to get away from this stale and limited idea of politics on an axis, when there is so much potential for mixing and matching. Give us something like the skill tree from Path of Exile.

I'm thinking something that works sorta similar to National Ideas and Church Aspects in EU4, allowing you to tune the national ideology of your country to your heart's content.

this would be amazing. all ive ever wanted was something like democracy 3 (but good) mashed together with all paradox games topped with total war battles. is that so much to ask??

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Buttery Pastry posted:

that's an old skill tree, the new one has a smaller skill tree inside the skill tree

Great Britian is a fucken Blade Vortex Pathfinder

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How the gently caress does one navigate their way around that ... thing? Or find a specific skill to work towards in that massive forest?!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Oh Path of Exile skill tree, I loved that so much. It's not that hard because you start with only a very small piece of the tree open to you so the game kinda naturally introduce you to the rest. It also isn't skill tree as in "Every single icon you see here is a new skill". Most of it is just small bonuses that let's you over long period of time set up a build. I.e it is a theorycrafters wet dream, my dream.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's also cool that every class has that tree, they just start in different places.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The PoE skill tree makes more sense once you realize that lots of points along the various branches are similar to a "0/5 gain +5% more damage to a skill" kind of deal, but by splitting each individual point into a separate node, they're not locking themselves into "each point must provide the same bonus", nor must each skill cost the number of points to be invested.

Since, if you look at Diablo 2 as your design ancestor, it makes sense that you don't need Warmth or Cold Resist Aura to be "clickable" 20 times, and at the same time it makes sense that Zeal should stop at 4 points, while Lightning Bolt goes up to 10.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Groogy posted:

Oh Path of Exile skill tree, I loved that so much. It's not that hard because you start with only a very small piece of the tree open to you so the game kinda naturally introduce you to the rest. It also isn't skill tree as in "Every single icon you see here is a new skill". Most of it is just small bonuses that let's you over long period of time set up a build. I.e it is a theorycrafters wet dream, my dream.

Enjoy posted:

It's also cool that every class has that tree, they just start in different places.

Salt and Sanctuary has a skill tree that works somewhat similarly to this.

Of course, Salt and Sanctuary is fairly different from most Paradox games, but it's still fairly neat.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I do wonder how well such a system would work for a RTS style game actually.
I mean I love to theory craft, for the current EU4 Dev MP I have this huge excel document lining up all the different idea sets effects, accumulation with different nations depending on their own national ideas, their events etc. And also approximated early, mid game and late game values depending on development, etc.

For instance my current build with Ottomans, if I have done everything right I should have 15 000 manpower recovery a month in a few sessions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

I mean I love to theory craft, for the current EU4 Dev MP I have this huge excel document lining up all the different idea sets effects, accumulation with different nations depending on their own national ideas, their events etc. And also approximated early, mid game and late game values depending on development, etc.

For instance my current build with Ottomans, if I have done everything right I should have 15 000 manpower recovery a month in a few sessions.
Its not a good game if you cant use a spreadsheet to improve your experience.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Groogy posted:

So it's the sphere grid?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's actually significantly less linear than the FFX Sphere Grid even, which is mostly composed of straight lines when you actually flatten it out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Also this time can we please not have really weird dumb ideologies just for symmetry's sake? :anarchists: not :ancap: please

I always interpreted the anarcho-liberals (is that what they're called in-game?) in Vicky as extreme liberals opposed to any government intervention, a fringe part of the bourgeois revolution of that time period dedicated to the complete dismantling of the Ancien Régime. The idea of massive anarcho-liberal uprisings might be stupid, but the ideology itself isn't out of place. They're not supposed to evoke today's fat American libertarians.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 29, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I always interpreted the anarcho-liberals (is that what they're called in-game?) in Vicky as extreme liberals opposed to any government intervention, a fringe part of the bourgeois revolution of that time period dedicated to the complete dismantling of the Ancien Régime. The idea of massive anarcho-liberal uprisings might be stupid, but the ideology itself isn't out of place. They're not supposed to evoke today's fat American libertarians.

Yeah the Jacobins were actually pretty keen on laissez-faire and only resorted to nationalisations when faced with wars and crises

http://www.escholar.manchester.ac.u...RS-DOCUMENT.PDF

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is it okay to talk about funny events that occurred in our games here or is that for a different thread? Sorry to ask kind of new to this thread.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Groogy posted:

replace national ideas in eu4 with it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they represent a legitimate part of the liberal tradition, one that usually becomes ascendant after a longer period of interventionist policies. After which it eventually becomes clear why those interventionist policies were there in the first place.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

koolkevz666 posted:

Is it okay to talk about funny events that occurred in our games here or is that for a different thread? Sorry to ask kind of new to this thread.

:justpost:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

koolkevz666 posted:

I LIKE STORIES TELL ME STORIES.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
one time in victoria I bought all the tea in china and the game broke but the error message said i had won the game

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's actually significantly less linear than the FFX Sphere Grid even, which is mostly composed of straight lines when you actually flatten it out.

Lookit this colonial who doesn't bask in the freedom afforded by the Advanced SG :smug:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

replace national ideas in eu4 with it

I wouldn't be opposed to the initial idea of it, problem is will it actually work out well?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I first learn the ropes of Vicky 2 with the vanilla game before trying out HPM or PDM or NWO? Also what would be a good country to start as and learn the ropes with?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Prussia's got a nice obvious goal (forming germany) that's got obvious steps to take (form the north german federation) and has you learn about the sphere of influence mechanic.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Wowza

Nothing like raising a single-province nation to becoming rich enough where Debt Doesn't Matter in EU4

#NavarraTales

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Should I first learn the ropes of Vicky 2 with the vanilla game before trying out HPM or PDM or NWO? Also what would be a good country to start as and learn the ropes with?

Chile is pretty fun and has a favorable position to sandbox in

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

VC2 easy mode is definitely Prussia. It's fairly easy to industrialize and learn the ropes while you form Germany versus formidable opposition. If you're looking for an even easier challenge, Great Britian is a good one. It requires almost no micro-management(since you start off as the Liberals), you just have to maintain your position as a GP, which is almost a challenge in and of itself to gently caress up.

Man Musk posted:

Chile is pretty fun and has a favorable position to sandbox in

I'd agree with that. Chile's a good Secondary Power to learn how to become a first rate power.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

A White Guy posted:

If you're looking for an even easier challenge, Great Britian is a good one. It requires almost no micro-management(since you start off as the Liberals), you just have to maintain your position as a GP, which is almost a challenge in and of itself to gently caress up.

Didn't someone test this by starting the game as GB and then not touching anything, leaving them still as a great power in 1936?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think having a first-time player dealing with Britain's colonial empire might be a bad idea.

Best nation for a first playthrough would probably have to be something that starts out less spread out, like Belgium, France, or Brazil.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I started as Belgium, good to get to grips with industry and it has a lovely end game when Prussia kicks the door in and destroys you

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Phlegmish posted:

Just call them Radicals, that's what extreme liberals were called at the time. Granted, the Radicals generally weren't hardcore laissez-faire and a lot of them supported social programs, but they were militant atheists. So either way it's fedoras all the way down.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Man Musk posted:

Wowza

Nothing like raising a single-province nation to becoming rich enough where Debt Doesn't Matter in EU4

#NavarraTales

How'd you pull that off? I'd expect to get crushed by either France or Spain.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Grouchio posted:

Playing as Sweden and forming Scandinavia is pretty chill, it's how I taught myself to play Vicky.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

How'd you pull that off? I'd expect to get crushed by either France or Spain.

Bee-lining Quest for the New World ideas and getting lucky to have someplace to settle close enough that I could move my capital early on

Also I didn't realize that Castille and Aragon are relatively benign and it's only Spain that has a permanent CB on Navarre, with Spain relatively late in making in this game

A good combination of circumstances in other words ^_^

Also my strat is to cut off all trade to the Old World viva las americas

EUIV is really fun to play as a sort of CIV

Are there any mods actually that are purely randomly generated maps? I've yet to try the GoT map, but I heard that's fun?

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 2, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Groogy posted:

I never got that because it came at a point where my interest of Total War was dying. Is it good? Is it just simply new factions unlocked with barely any content? Or did they actually put time and effort into it besides graphics.?

I guess what I mean as important is that it should feel like you are an empire of millions, which at the time was remarkable how well populated the region was.

It's a very dense piece of map settlement wise, mexico. Overall I'd say there's a moderate amount of effort put into things. They're about as well developed as say, the muslim factions in medieval 2 proper. Acceptably so, but not ideal. It is nice for them to talk about how mesoamerican cities were as bit and impressive as any in europe in the description of the highest level temple-pyramid though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

@podcat

I think its time we admit that the lack of a OOB, mini-map, and simplified terrain map mode, as well as the "sand box" nature you wanted to cultivate...was a bad choice.

Not a single day goes by that you dont get one of these posts with an overwelming majority of agreement. Its been 3 straight months since release, and its been 8 months straight of people saying this on forum before release.

Please. Please. Admit you picked a bad direction for this game, and its not what the fans wanted. Its not an even split, or within the margin of error, its a majority of your customer base. This isnt the game we wanted. There isnt some large group of players who are shouting "No, I really like that Greece conquers Berlin!!". Thats not the game we wanted.

Its a great game. Dont get me wrong, and itll get better, but this isnt what the fans of the series really wanted. I think you guys need to accept this, and shift your development plans in the future, towards an understanding of this.

The AI needs the most work, first and foremost (probably over the next few patches infact) and then we need (I hate to suggest we PAY for things that should already exist in the game) a DLC that focuses on bringing us up to snuff with HOI3. Not focused on the air, or sea, or politics, but a broad DLC that gets us to a functioning and enjoyable level, so that this game can provide a base for DLCs as good as For the Motherland or Their Finest Hour.

Thank you for your hard work, and I hope this ship can be bailed before it sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
RELENT OR I SHALL POST AGAIN