Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mostlygray posted:

I just used a lamp by my bed at home but his way was more fun. Apropos of nothing, when I slept over at his house, he'd wake me up with ammonia held under my nose. Just about the worst way to wake up.

Some small proportion of the population gets violent when woken suddenly.

It would be a shame if your friend was on the receiving end of an incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

My blade has been awfully lonely...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Bad Munki posted:

I want to believe it's like one of those drinking birds where it keeps tipping down to touch the water then back up again, repeatedly.

As my geology professor always said: "My motto is: 'twas a foolish man who built his house upon the sand'"

Mathew 7:26

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rob 2.0 posted:

Around 6 feet. Frequently wears a Giants / Bears baseball cap. Thin, scruffy. Eyes wander around frequently. Kinda looks like Scumbag Steve. Officially banned through consensus — the whole deal. Repeatedly shows up at the space anyway. Kick him out on sight.

I'm choosing to believe this space was run by shortarses like myself and Rob being 6 foot was grounds for dismissal since the reason isn't mentioned here.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is there any way you can convert meth BACK into allergy medicine?
Respected chemists O. Hai and I.B. Hakkenshit have published a
synthetic route to do exactly that.

quote:

While N-methylamphetamine itself is a powerful decongestant, it is less desirable in a medical setting because of its severe side effects and addictive properties. Such side effects may include insomnia, agitation, irritability, dry mouth, sweating, and heart palpitations. Other side effects may include violent urges or, similarly, the urge to be successful in business or finance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

What happened, did they pile so many packs of shingles onto the roof that they exceeded its load limit? I guess that counts as "crappy construction".

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What happened, did they pile so many packs of shingles onto the roof that they exceeded its load limit? I guess that counts as "crappy construction".

Roof live loads are relatively small compared to floor loads unless it is a high snowfall area. You should never store things on a roof without checking its design limits. I once did an inspection for a contractor's project to add a floor with a flat roof to a brownstone. Not only did he store cement bags and equipment on the roof, he put it all in the center, causing the most stress, and sagging the roof. Rainwater had already started ponding in this low spot and we had to more or less clear out the building because the roof joists were overstressed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

Hahaha, per the youtube comments they used 600 blocks.
A 26 pack is $154. You're looking at $3,600 or more in construction legos there.

Even slumlords subdividing places illegally don't spend that much, and their results actually look better.

Yes, but I'm sure you could charge tech bros extra for this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, but I'm sure you could charge tech bros extra for this
Your apartment is a single empty room and this box of oversized legos. The rent is please stop shoving money at me while I'm trying to talk.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not just this, but they put them all in the same spot so the load wasn't distributed.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The latest McMansion Hell is a real doozy

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Blindeye posted:

Roof live loads are relatively small compared to floor loads unless it is a high snowfall area. You should never store things on a roof without checking its design limits. I once did an inspection for a contractor's project to add a floor with a flat roof to a brownstone. Not only did he store cement bags and equipment on the roof, he put it all in the center, causing the most stress, and sagging the roof. Rainwater had already started ponding in this low spot and we had to more or less clear out the building because the roof joists were overstressed.

Why in the world would you haul ALL of the roofing materials up and stack them all at the center like that? FFS, at least put them around the edges. Even I know that roofs are designed to hold up themselves, and not a lot more (at least in light snow areas.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, this one is bad. I also feel like she's getting better at explaining why the interior design is bad, like how she tied it all back to 2004 HGTV styles.

Although, if I had the space for a dedicated billiards room, I'd want 2 corner TVs. Does it look kinda tacky? Sure. Does it mean I can always see the a TV? Yep.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never really seen houses like on her blog. they seem like weird alien TV sets. I like how she got into kit houses and suddenly it was like "hey, here's all the houses that look like where I live!" I don't know how many are actual kit houses or just houses built in the same general turn of the century to pre-war times. A cool construction history thing I learned though is that a ton of the houses of a certain vintage (I think 30's) where I live are all made out of old box-cars. Around that time the railway was switching from wood to metal cars, or just had a ton of wood cars they retired. So people bought up this wood for cheap and used it for houses, and when you are doing a reno you'll clearly see old box-car ads and CPR logo's and reporting marks and stuff on the boards.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It's like someone took normal tasteful paint colors and went wild with a sponge all over them. I love the Bowling Ball room.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont know why you cant click on mcmansion to enlarge the image, but if you replace the 500 with 1280 you can get a much larger picture.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've never really seen houses like on her blog. they seem like weird alien TV sets. I like how she got into kit houses and suddenly it was like "hey, here's all the houses that look like where I live!" I don't know how many are actual kit houses or just houses built in the same general turn of the century to pre-war times. A cool construction history thing I learned though is that a ton of the houses of a certain vintage (I think 30's) where I live are all made out of old box-cars. Around that time the railway was switching from wood to metal cars, or just had a ton of wood cars they retired. So people bought up this wood for cheap and used it for houses, and when you are doing a reno you'll clearly see old box-car ads and CPR logo's and reporting marks and stuff on the boards.

I've heard that there are a ton of converted boxcar buildings in Panama, because there used to be a tax loophole where buying a single boxcar made you a railroad or some poo poo, so people would do that and not give a gently caress about what happened with it. End result, thanks to the vagrancies of international economics? Tons of boxcars migrating down to Panama with owners who didn't care what happened to them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tunicate posted:

I've heard that there are a ton of converted boxcar buildings in Panama, because there used to be a tax loophole where buying a single boxcar made you a railroad or some poo poo, so people would do that and not give a gently caress about what happened with it. End result, thanks to the vagrancies of international economics? Tons of boxcars migrating down to Panama with owners who didn't care what happened to them.

I love hosed up old laws that end up having totally unforeseen consequences to the built form. Like wayyyy back in the day before they figured out how property taxes you'd be taxed by the number of windows you'd have facing the street, or just your street frontage, or some other arbitrary measure. So buildings of that era will try to be super narrow, or have as few individual windows facing the street or what ever weird way they taxed things. I remember on some tour I was on people pointing out in one area all the roofs were quite big and had dormers and saying it was because at that time buildings were taxed by number of floors and floor area, but attics didn't count. Attics at that exact time were defined any space above the bottom of the roof eves so they'd build these huge 2 story "attics" that were just regular floors in practice. The definition was quickly changed, but it was on the books long enough for a ton of buildings to use the loophole.

To be fair there's still weird arbitrary poo poo like that today. My friend is hoping to build a house, and she wanted to put in a little bedroom in the attic for her teenage son of have a little zone of his own. But the zoning only allows 2 stories and counts ANY habitable space as a story. So even if the building still falls within the maximum height laws and looks exactly the same on the outside, you're forbidden from using all the space inside your roof because your building would then be too many stories. BUT, if you sink the main floor down to an arbitrary point it then counts as a "basement" and isn't counted as a story and none of the square footage counts towards maximum building size. It's all still arbitrary and dumb.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

So, I'm in a little bit of a pickle right now. So, the backstory is my parents bought a house back in 2012. There was (and still is) an HoA. We knew there was. But my parents decided to not pay the monthly dues because the escrow company never gave us or our realtor any information about the HoA. My parents believed that because of this, anything regarding the Home Owner's Association didn't apply to them.

My father in particular took advantage of this. In September of 2012 (right around the time we bought the house), he added an extension to the fence that was already there. The Secretary(?) of the HoA came to us and told us that we needed permission to build the fence from the Association. After talking, he went right back to building the fence. This was just the beginning. Over the next few years, he would continue adding whatever he loving pleased to the house:

-He made a lovely extension to the house. You know that small concrete staircase that you place your shoes on, and it leads to the backyard? He put a loving wall on top of that with glass in it. Now it's like a three-foot wide "room" that's useless because it's three loving feet wide. And there's a door he added to the end of it, that doesn't even have a lock on it because the frame is just a bunch of 2x4s nailed together.

-Added another door in front of the original door (same deal as the backyard door -- no lock on it)

-He painted a part of the front of the house a different color. Not even a whole side. It's so loving ugly to look at from the front, especially with the door

-He added some thick, six foot pieces of wood onto our lawn, where it meets the sidewalk. Hammered it down in place with some stakes. He claimed that "it's so the loving little pirate motherfuckers don't ride their bikes on our lawn and destroy it". When I removed them, the grass was destroyed anyways and left a bunch of dirt and mud underneath.

-Part of the fence that he made can be removable, sort of like a sliding gate. This was so that he could put two of our cars and a trailer in the backyard. The result is a lovely-looking fence.

-etc.

My mother told him time and time again not to do any of this poo poo. But since she sleeps during the day, he went behind her back and did all of this. Cost her thousands of dollars. Of course, the HoA got pissed the gently caress off. We were fined $20,000. Lean(?) on the house. My mother went to court because the HoA wanted to foreclose the house. The order was vacated, but we still had to pay $20,000. Apparently, it was a garnishment. We're not 100% that it is a garnishment, all we know is that the HoA took all of my mother's money from her checking account ($6,000). They haven't taken any money from her savings account (which is about $10,000).

The big question that we're wondering is if she withdraws money from her savings account to her checking account (to pay the bills), will it automatically be taken away by the HoA because of the apparent garnishment? If so, then what are my options? What are the pros and cons of each option?

I have my own bank account, could she transfer her money from her savings into my account to pay the bills? Without getting taken away by the HoA first?

I'm a senior in highschool. I work at a fast food place during the weekends making $11 an hour. I have four college-level classes, so I can't work any more days unless I drop out. My mother works 80 hours a week, making about $16 an hour. My father is out of the question. He's homeless in another state. Long story. My brother is 16. He doesn't work. We have talked to our attorney about what happened, but he hasn't called us back yet. We have no idea what to do, which is why I'm asking for advice here. There's a lean(spelling) on the house. I have $600 in my bank account. My mother mentioned taking out money from her 401k and paying the debt directly.

I'm on my knees here, Reddit. I'd suck God's dick right now if he was in front me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tl;dr: $20,000 debt to HoA. They took all of my mother's money from her checking account, but not from her savings($10000). Will they take her money if she transfers her money to her checking account? If so, what are my options to help her pay the bills? What are the pros and cons of each of my options?

I'm in Washington State.

source: https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5n9mrj/20000_lien_on_my_mothers_home_will_we_end_up/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend's mom build a huge deck off the back of her house and our city is very very nimby and zoning obsessed. It's also obsessed with crazy poo poo like "basic building codes" and demanded they tear down the deck for safety reasons, and told them if they were to re-build it, please do it to code and please get a permit. They demo'd the deck but right away with a lot of the same wood built it again. They sunk a ton of money into it building it over code, it was a nice solid deck. But they didn't get a permit and the neighbours complained again. They were forced to tear it down.

You'd think they'd have learned right?

Nope. A couple years later they built a whole loving addition on the footprint of the previous deck since they poured such good foundations. This was a huge 2 story addition, a whole room up top and semi-finished storage under. No permits, in total violation of the zoning. Shockingly they were forced to tear it down even after they yelled about how it was all solid and built to code. In all 3 cases they just could never grasp that the issue isn't just the building code, it's the zoning and the legal process and the city has zero tolerance for that.

Oh I'm forgetting the best parts. When they demo'd the addition and decided to sell the house was inspected and their illegal suite had to be brought up to code. On investigation they found load-bearing drywall, an extremely important post that was missing and the whole floor/ceiling had sloped a good 3", and all the plumbing and electrical was hosed. They ended up sinking about 200k to just bring the suite up to code and patch up where their illegal addition was. I have no idea what they sunk into the previous 2 decks of the illegal addition. God, to have the money to make such bad decisions.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

. God, to have the money to make such bad decisions.

Some of my parents friends are paying a landscape gardener $40,000 to slightly widen a vegetable patch, take away a couple of plants, and grow some lawn. She flat out refuses to get a second quote, even after my mum said "I will do that for you for $20,000". Nope, she trusts the original landscape gardener, and so thats who she is going with.

I have had to spend more time than you would think consoling them, because they thought they were going broke, because they were down to their last $8 million dollars.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That reminds me of that guy that wanted to build a huge house on his farm but didn't want to bother with any permitting, so he built it and tried to hide it under bales and tarp for long enough that it would get grandfathered in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I love hosed up old laws that end up having totally unforeseen consequences to the built form. Like wayyyy back in the day before they figured out how property taxes you'd be taxed by the number of windows you'd have facing the street, or just your street frontage, or some other arbitrary measure. So buildings of that era will try to be super narrow, or have as few individual windows facing the street or what ever weird way they taxed things. I remember on some tour I was on people pointing out in one area all the roofs were quite big and had dormers and saying it was because at that time buildings were taxed by number of floors and floor area, but attics didn't count. Attics at that exact time were defined any space above the bottom of the roof eves so they'd build these huge 2 story "attics" that were just regular floors in practice. The definition was quickly changed, but it was on the books long enough for a ton of buildings to use the loophole.

To be fair there's still weird arbitrary poo poo like that today. My friend is hoping to build a house, and she wanted to put in a little bedroom in the attic for her teenage son of have a little zone of his own. But the zoning only allows 2 stories and counts ANY habitable space as a story. So even if the building still falls within the maximum height laws and looks exactly the same on the outside, you're forbidden from using all the space inside your roof because your building would then be too many stories. BUT, if you sink the main floor down to an arbitrary point it then counts as a "basement" and isn't counted as a story and none of the square footage counts towards maximum building size. It's all still arbitrary and dumb.

I love things like that.

In Greece, and this could be some thing that isn't really true and I'm just maligning people as tax dodgers here, property taxes are totally different if your building is under construction. So you'll see all these beautiful, otherwise finished-looking houses with random rebar sticking out of the tops for no discernable reason.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NancyPants posted:

I love things like that.

In Greece, and this could be some thing that isn't really true and I'm just maligning people as tax dodgers here, property taxes are totally different if your building is under construction. So you'll see all these beautiful, otherwise finished-looking houses with random rebar sticking out of the tops for no discernable reason.

I was told the same thing in Mexico City. All the roofs are unfinished with rebar poking out because you don't start getting taxed on the building until it's "finished" or something like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Why in the world would you haul ALL of the roofing materials up and stack them all at the center like that? FFS, at least put them around the edges. Even I know that roofs are designed to hold up themselves, and not a lot more (at least in light snow areas.)

You rent a crane or other heavy-lifting machine for as long as you need to get all the materials up onto the roof. That explains why they grab all the materials at once. Speaking as someone who's transported bundles of roofing shingles before, poo poo's heavy. I ended up breaking each bundle in half, which means I was transporting 1/6th of a square (1 square = 100 square feet) per trip. So you can see why it's appealing to rent a machine to simplify that.

As for why they piled everything in the same place: they're lazy and/or ignorant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They piled everything in one place because it’s funnier that way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it's not like the roof can't handle the weight, it's all gonna go up there anyhow! :downsgun:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashcans posted:

That reminds me of that guy that wanted to build a huge house on his farm but didn't want to bother with any permitting, so he built it and tried to hide it under bales and tarp for long enough that it would get grandfathered in.
If I'm remembering the right story, the government then ruled that removing the hay bales counted as a big enough change that he still needed to comply with the regulations and demolished it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

If I'm remembering the right story, the government then ruled that removing the hay bales counted as a big enough change that he still needed to comply with the regulations and demolished it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-34777566

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not exactly construction but local governments gently caress this thing up (making tax rules that encourage everyone to do something weird) in exactly this way a lot. In my town, businesses pay a business tax that is based on the number of point-of-sale machines (that's the cash register). I'm sure you can instantly recognize exactly the impact this has on standing in line at local businesses when you want to buy things. Somehow this obvious consequence that literally anyone can imagine instantly as soon as they hear this, was not obvious to the city council and has been this way for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

e. Looked it up and actually it's the state (California) that permits counties (my county) to tax POS sales machines, and bar code scanners. It's not a huge tax, something like $200 a year per machine, but I believe I have noticed a noticeable effect.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Leperflesh posted:

(California)

Found the weak link in the logic chain.

Thanks to reading about Noisebridge I went googling for (hopefully less horrible) hackspaces near me and while there isn't one, there is a sort of maker hangout meetup which happened to be tonight, an hour after I thought to look it up, so I went to that and it was solidly educational. Thanks, thread!

Their slack immediately brought me thread-appropriate discussion, too:

quote:

Has anyone here installed EcoFoil / Reflectix or similar aluminum insulation? What do you think, "Scam" or effective way to keep radiant heat in in winter?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Platystemon posted:

Some small proportion of the population gets violent when woken suddenly.

It would be a shame if your friend was on the receiving end of an incident.

He was... But I still thought it was funny when I was awake all the way. I do launch when woken suddenly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I have seen so many houses like that. The macmansion set would buy entire rooms from Thomasville or Ethan Allen to fill out their giant homes, and when it comes time to sell the realtor will stage the room back into it's catalogue state, swapping out anything that looks to lived-in for unused pieces from storage. If you had empty rooms, or rooms that had been turned to some other non wealthy-suburbanite-fantasy use, then the realtor would bring in whole new sets of furniture and draperies to redo the space. That's where all those strangely barren guest/children's rooms come from.

And then a new family would come in and buy the whole house, furniture included because it all just looks so good together.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NancyPants posted:

I love things like that.

Same thing in Egypt. When I was there a bunch of years ago I asked our guide why so many houses that looked otherwise occupied would have an unfinished top or bottom floor. I was told it's because you don't pay property tax until the house is finished, so landlords would just leave one floor unfinished for as long as they could. Usually they'd have a cement mixer or a pile of lumber or something laying around to enhance the impression that it was still worked on as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That used to happen back home (in Kenya) but in that case it's because people were terrible with planning and would run out of money three floors into a building, or at least would stop paying the workers for several months, or because customs decided to sit on shipments of rebar or concrete until someone was willing to pay them to let it go. There was an (open and functioning) shopping center that had posts and framework for a top floor sticking out for probably fifteen years before they finally finished it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hell, this applies to property improvements too -- the workshop I'm building in my backyard is like 99% complete, but it hasn't impacted my real estate taxes yet, and won't until I get final inspection. Which I am planning to do because unlike so many other people I view taxes as the price for living in civilized society.

I just have two more electrical circuits to go...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It's not exactly construction but local governments gently caress this thing up (making tax rules that encourage everyone to do something weird) in exactly this way a lot. In my town, businesses pay a business tax that is based on the number of point-of-sale machines (that's the cash register). I'm sure you can instantly recognize exactly the impact this has on standing in line at local businesses when you want to buy things. Somehow this obvious consequence that literally anyone can imagine instantly as soon as they hear this, was not obvious to the city council and has been this way for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

e. Looked it up and actually it's the state (California) that permits counties (my county) to tax POS sales machines, and bar code scanners. It's not a huge tax, something like $200 a year per machine, but I believe I have noticed a noticeable effect.

If it's only $200 a year then the business is a piece of poo poo and removing that tax will have zero affect on how many registers there are.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How about crappy, dangerous maintenance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

kid sinister posted:

How about crappy, dangerous maintenance?

The airport I work in does that for ones that haven't been fully tested and commissioned, since they can't be guaranteed to be functioning yet...