Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Siivola posted:

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

This except I use chi bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Started my first BJJ class today. I get a feeling this poo poo is addictive...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

and those are at this point a solved problem from the direction of making live sparring work.

So, you know anyone who spars with live blades?.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

This except I use chi bullets

This except I fall onto my back and progressively smother them over 36 minutes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sometimes you throw up a headkick that could be KO power but you ease up before it lands. Your partner acknowledges that it could have been much worse, you reset, and resume sparring.
Is that not possible with wooden/blunt weapons and appropriate armor?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

It is. Welcome to the club

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

It is. Welcome to the club

Thanks. I do worry a little bit though. Im getting old and my back aint what it used to be. Are there any excercises you guys recommend for strengthening it up?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Thanks. I do worry a little bit though. Im getting old and my back aint what it used to be. Are there any excercises you guys recommend for strengthening it up?

It will get stronger as you roll, just take it easy to start and gradually ramp up intensity. However, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, turkish get ups, and power cleans are never a bad idea to supplement your workout routine with.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

spiralbrain posted:

i'm a month into it and i love it. got my gi ordered too

its especially fun rolling with more advanced duders, they sometimes use things you haven't learned yet and it really helps me think on my feet

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

spiralbrain posted:

JaySB posted:

It will get stronger as you roll, just take it easy to start and gradually ramp up intensity. However, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, turkish get ups, and power cleans are never a bad idea to supplement your workout routine with.

All of this and don't forget to stretch. At the end of the day, an injured training partner isn't a training partner anymore.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omUDukWbS0w

kimbo305 posted:

Is that not possible with wooden/blunt weapons and appropriate armor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85KF_aB-IA

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Seriously? That Roland dude is worse than most aikido guys.
There's nothing realistic about what he's doing.
As for the longsword, they're playing a game of tag.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sword fighting is basically tag, but with blood. I also tried out that longsword stuff once, and you actually get smoked quite hard more than you think.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah I mean the question was specifically about low-intensity sparring so I figured I'd find an actual sparring video instead of people going at each other in a tournament. :shrug:

Since I'm on a dumb HEMA tangent, here's some Slovakians doing choreographed drills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKMPIFJkzk

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Look I don't know about you but if I where teleported to the 16th century and had to fight an unarmored honor duel. I would try my damnedest to not get hit while hitting the other dude in easy to reach areas[arms, hands] so that he bleeds out eventually and I don't later die from infection.

I've done some low intensity wooden waster sparring and poo poo hurts, but get you some lacross gloves and a helmet and you shouldn't be permanently wrecked.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"let me bang bro"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Live in the sense of 'training with a resisting partner', not in the sense of 'live steel'. Sparring with sharps when wasters and rebated steel are closely equivalent and vastly less risky to train with isn't a great idea.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Anyone have any idea why I might be getting elbow soreness from training? It's not from armbars or any other kind of elbow lock.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Anyone have any idea why I might be getting elbow soreness from training? It's not from armbars or any other kind of elbow lock.

MIght be tennis elbow from blowing out your grips. It comes from overexerting your forearm muscles.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Dave Grool posted:

MIght be tennis elbow from blowing out your grips. It comes from overexerting your forearm muscles.

What do you mean by "blowing out"? Like, having your grips yanked out violently? For example, having a grip on someone's lapel and having them pull back hard, thus putting tension in all the arm muscles? That makes a lot of sense actually.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just meant wearing your forearms out repeatedly, I get pain in both my elbows if I'm training a lot without enough rest days. It goes away for me cause I usually take some time off after doing a couple tournaments, but it comes back frequently cause I'm lazy and don't do PT exercises diligently enough once it stops hurting.

I got the rubber bendy things for forearm conditioning but I don't use them enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

e: but yeah I'm sure getting your grips broken really hard doesn't help either. I try to let go if I can anticipate that but I've gotten some tweaked knuckles from being stubborn about my grips before.

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 16, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So it turns out I can hit pads without shoulder pain but not a heavy bag. Rotator cuff what ever sucks rear end.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

Agreeing with this, its pretty common and I had a couple month period early on when I was dealing with it also. For me this was because I grabbed on for dear life like every roll was a life or death cagematch.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What great timing to wander in and ask about elbow pain. Yep, new grip strength thingy owner of six days. Time to chill I reckon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i started to add judo to my weekly training on top of jiujitsu and its a lot of fun

when sparring with a green belt he told me not to cross my feet when moving even when it didnt feel like i was. i assume its because if my feet are crossed or too close together, its easier to sweep me, but when i actively tried not to cross my feet i'd just get goshi'd

im guessing this is something that just comes with practice

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. Crossed feet equals narrowed base, easier to take down. I'm taking bjj btw, i don't do judo

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

i started to add judo to my weekly training on top of jiujitsu and its a lot of fun

when sparring with a green belt he told me not to cross my feet when moving even when it didnt feel like i was. i assume its because if my feet are crossed or too close together, its easier to sweep me, but when i actively tried not to cross my feet i'd just get goshi'd

im guessing this is something that just comes with practice

Yep, crossed feet are prime for sweeping. You'll find the happy medium of too close and too far apart that fits you the more you do it. My general stance is just wider then shoulder width and a little offset. Learning to shuffle step will help a lot. Keep with it, Judo is super fun.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

n3rdal3rt posted:

Yep, crossed feet are prime for sweeping. You'll find the happy medium of too close and too far apart that fits you the more you do it. My general stance is just wider then shoulder width and a little offset. Learning to shuffle step will help a lot. Keep with it, Judo is super fun.

Definitely, sparring and learning how to do tsuri goshi and tsurikomi goshi easily was the most fun I've had in a while. I was a wreck at jiujitsu immediately afterwards, but it was worth it.

I need to learn to hit the mat better though, I think my neck took a beating...

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

Definitely, sparring and learning how to do tsuri goshi and tsurikomi goshi easily was the most fun I've had in a while. I was a wreck at jiujitsu immediately afterwards, but it was worth it.

I need to learn to hit the mat better though, I think my neck took a beating...

Learning to take ukemi is a great skill. Probably the only I've ever actually used in the real world. Keep your chin tucked, don't reach out for the floor, and do your best to relax. Relaxing when falling/getting thrown is the hardest part to learn.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crossed and close feet leaves you more vulnerable for double-leg sweeps and body drops.

Wider feet leaves you vulnerable to hip and shoulder techniques, , especially if in a square stance, but a low centre of gravity protects you from them.

Wide wide feet leaves you more vulnerable to single-leg reaps and trips.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm getting more comfortable taking stuff to the ground, as I like to stand and box it always comes as a complete surprise when I shoot for a double on any of my sparring partners. My main problem is that I dive down, get the double, drive, and go forward, my brain cannot get through going sideways once I'm down there. Is this a common mistake?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I learned step over pass today and ended up stepping on a classmates nuts.

:ughh:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's just the street self defense variation

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys think of Tai Chi?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

bowmore posted:

I don't need my furniture rearranged

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've heard it's really good for physical therapy. Give a try if you have aches and pains from shitposting too hard.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i've been overdoing it with the poo poo posts lately, feeling a bit sore

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bowmore posted:

Slow tai chi or fast tai chi

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's probably less of a workout than aikido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A bunch of old people do it outside of the Asian super market at round 6 am.