Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm not sure that applies if they freely join the Pope's war rather than being raised/hired as a holy order. I got no idea for sure though.

Yeah I think if a holy order joins as an ally they follow normal mechanics, as opposed to when they are hired by someone else. I don't think the troops even come from the same pool in this case (they just raise their levies, not the actual "holy order" hireable troops). I don't think unlanded Holy Orders can join wars like this, though, since they don't have any levies to raise at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I got no idea for sure though.

Paradox.txt

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm not sure that applies if they freely join the Pope's war rather than being raised/hired as a holy order. I got no idea for sure though.

It doesn't. Holy Orders will only fight enemies of the faith, but if you're making war on the Pope you are an enemy of the faith. They still won't fight co-religionists for money, though, so if they don't like the Pope they'll stay out of it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Spaseman posted:

Is there some way to press all the claims at once? I don't want to fight six different wars over six counties.

Only with strong claims, unfortunately.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Earlier in this thread, someone posted a glitch about the Pope becoming ruler of a merchant republic and making infinite money. Does anyone have a link?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Anyway to flip from merchant to feudal, or vice versa? Playing an amalfi->roman empire game

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

buckets of buckets posted:

Anyway to flip from merchant to feudal, or vice versa? Playing an amalfi->roman empire game
I, I guess you could turn feudal if you lost every single coastal county and were forced to move your capital inland? Maybe?

Or it might just game over you.

If you wanna use the console, it's 'set_government feudal_government "charid" '

QuoProQuid posted:

Earlier in this thread, someone posted a glitch about the Pope becoming ruler of a merchant republic and making infinite money. Does anyone have a link?
HUHHHHH

Now I am very, very curious. Gonna try it out with the Fraticelli pope maybe...

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I, I guess you could turn feudal if you lost every single coastal county and were forced to move your capital inland? Maybe?

Or it might just game over you.

If you wanna use the console, it's 'set_government feudal_government "charid" '
HUHHHHH

Thanks. Each of my patrician houses has a coastal duchy. and I currently hold the kingdom. If I was to turn myself feudal, does anyone know if each republic vassal would gain their own patrician houses, since the top title had changed government?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So … I fudged up a hermetic society event, and have been stuck in jail in Haarlem, Holland (I'm the king of Sicily) for the past 10 years. Any way to get out? Haven't even gotten the option for asking for better accomodations, and I kinda want to get out so I can finish warring against HRE and Italy for the rest of Italy. I'm playing ironman, so I can't just pop up the console and free myself like that, either,.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

So … I fudged up a hermetic society event, and have been stuck in jail in Haarlem, Holland (I'm the king of Sicily) for the past 10 years. Any way to get out? Haven't even gotten the option for asking for better accomodations, and I kinda want to get out so I can finish warring against HRE and Italy for the rest of Italy. I'm playing ironman, so I can't just pop up the console and free myself like that, either,.
You're hosed. Heremetic event imprisonment makes them hate you so they will never entertain letting you free. Basically hope they die so you can ask his replacement to go free. Or maybe seducing your way out works? Never tried that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Datasmurf posted:

Always turn down the lab infiltration mission. It's just not worth what you can gain from it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Quorum posted:

Always turn down the lab infiltration mission. It's just not worth what you can gain from it.

Yeah, whoever at Paradox that thought giving the guy who's imprisoning you automatic rival status needs to be beaten vigorously.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Duly noted. My game ended anyway. Didn't notice that I suddenly was in the 1440s, and then *poof* 1452 and done. Too bad my guy didn't die in there so I could've gone on with his son to continue eating up Italy.

Oh well. Started a new game as a count in Wales, and I'm currently having "fun" waiting for my chancellor to fabricate claims on the parts of England I don't have a cb for. I guess there's no way to speed up claim fabrication?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Datasmurf posted:

Oh well. Started a new game as a count in Wales, and I'm currently having "fun" waiting for my chancellor to fabricate claims on the parts of England I don't have a cb for. I guess there's no way to speed up claim fabrication?

Make sure he likes you, and keep an eye out for a replacement with higher diplomacy.

Also I usually try to remember to shuffle him through different ruler's demesnes if he seems to get stuck somewhere/I have multiple targets, as sometimes the AI will bribe him to spin his wheels and not do anything, which you wouldn't have any way of knowing about.

I think the new expansion is going to include some new/easier CBs, but it seemed like they all had significant costs or other drawbacks.

You can also invite people with claims to your court and press them for them, as long as you're sure they'll become your vassal afterwards (lower rank, for one). You can cheese a matrilineal marriage by inviting an unmarried male heir to your court and then proposing, as he has to accept once he's on your home turf. If there's nobody with a strong claim, you can stab your way into a woman/underage heir and then press it. I don't do this kinda stuff nearly as often as I should TBQH.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

a merchant republic with thousands of ducats and the assassinate for gold option turned on is truly terrifying. It's like having seal team 6 at your disposal

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

New dev diary about the Silk Road.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Those internal routes through India are cool. I'm not sure you could realistically control the silk road anymore though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Volkerball posted:

Those internal routes through India are cool. I'm not sure you could realistically control the silk road anymore though.

Which I guess is half the point.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

now they just need to add a trade route from west africa to north africa

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jazerus posted:

now they just need to add a trade route from west africa to north africa

I really really want this to happen. That and give W.Africans access to the Hermetic Order and maybe a monastic clone dressed up as something shamanistic. Hell I'd be happy with just the hermetics. I'd just like to see W. Africans get thrown a bone just once.

e: To clarify, I know this is never gonna happen.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 4, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I love how they made an entire dlc for a civilization that doesn't even exist on the map before they gave the Africans access to the same mechanics as the other factions. Even South Africa doesn't have segregation anymore. Paradox racism confirmed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a lot of important trade that happened with sub-saharan Africa too, but I guess that doesn't get as much hype. Part of the how the new world was discovered was Portugal developing these big ships and navigation techniques so they could skip over north African middlemen to get stuff like slaves. Then some Italian guy tried to shortcut the long way around the planet to China with those new sailing techniques.

I guess Paradox has a record of treating Africa as mostly just a speedbump, as opposed to their record with China where they try to model it, but screw up somehow. I like what they're trying to get around their ineptitude by modeling it indirectly.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This actually looks like it'll make Socotra an even easier start once you get the money to build a trade post.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rumda posted:

Which I guess is half the point.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only idiot who's bothered to try it previously. :v: Suppose I'll give it another go once the game is finished. This China stuff makes it really intriguing. I haven't counted, but it looks like you might need to have close to 200 trade posts to do it, and that's a hard number to get your trade post limit up to. Highest I ever got was I think 166.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only idiot who's bothered to try it previously. :v: Suppose I'll give it another go once the game is finished. This China stuff makes it really intriguing. I haven't counted, but it looks like you might need to have close to 200 trade posts to do it, and that's a hard number to get your trade post limit up to. Highest I ever got was I think 166.

I don't think you can actually build trade posts on the entire thing, just the dedicated trading areas.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

I don't think you can actually build trade posts on the entire thing, just the dedicated trading areas.

That's what I read from the article too. With the amount of routes available and the money Socrota was making from only one, I imagine they will be nodes making certain limited counties more powerful and rich.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Suck it, Catholics and Sunnis, this is ALL Shia territory now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
guys

guys help

I can't stop consoling myself into a nomadic government and stomping all over my neighbors.

I just got bored with a Semien Horde.

I'm currently considering doing this with Charlie.

I think I may have a problem.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dareon posted:

guys

guys help

I can't stop consoling myself into a nomadic government and stomping all over my neighbors.

Pffffffff

Do a Mandé Horde. Make the Canaries a Merchant Republic.

Try and unite Africa

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dareon posted:

guys

guys help

Take it to the next step. Marry into claims on a clan for your unlanded heir, and then press his claim. He'll end up as a single province nomad, and when you die you will end up as a new horde of whatever culture/religion he was.

I've managed to do it with Zunbil and Dyre, but I'm still working on my Norman Reformed Viking Haestein attempt. All the clans I keep marrying into have been dying off, but I think I have a chance with the Dulo Bolghars.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wish there was an optional game rule for when crusades trigger.

900 takes for loving ever if you start during Charlie. I want everyone fighting every right away dammit!

Was there an event to trigger them early?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not on my computer right now but I'm pretty sure the Crusades start date is easily modded if you're not super attached to ironman.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I really wish there was an optional game rule for when crusades trigger.

900 takes for loving ever if you start during Charlie. I want everyone fighting every right away dammit!

Was there an event to trigger them early?

event 39660

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've gotten some of the dlc so far (Way of Life, Rome, Reaper's Due, Sons of Abraham and Old God's), and I know the "play as X" dlc are worth grabbing, but what about conclave and monks and mystics? Are those worth grabbing, or if I like the systems as is, should I just not?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Conclave makes council/vassal management more difficult, if that's your cup of tea then I'd recommend it.

I skipped out on M&M, and from the sounds of it I've been better off for it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm in agreement with the poster above me. I liked the vassal management expansion of conclave so it was a good buy.

The Satanism hijinks in monks sounded funny, but everything else seems annoying or not my style, and I'm happy I skipped that one. It's the only expansion I don't have.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Conclave makes council/vassal management more difficult, if that's your cup of tea then I'd recommend it.

Conclave makes the game far more interesting. It also lets any culture/religion go full Cognatic with the correct laws, which is worth it right there IMO.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I skipped out on M&M, and from the sounds of it I've been better off for it.

The only real problem with M&M is that Hermetics are the best choice, and #2 (Assassins) are so far behind them that it isn't even a contest. Playing a crazy medieval alchemist is fun though, especially after a few generations when every ruler has 30+ learning.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People not being full converts to whatever religion they are is accurate, but everything else I've heard about M&M just sounds wacky and ridiculous. It doesn't sound like there's much of a downside to having a secret religion. There's extra jobs for your councilors which sounded neat, but it didn't seem worth the hassle and money.

The only real problem with skipping M&M is that the game still occasionally gives you the option to secretly convert, and if you take it, the game crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Secret religions are part of the patch, not M&M.

• Locked thread