Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm gonna make my speculation that you're going to the moon to show those UFO dudes what for. Special object will be a nifty cane that you can pogo on top of enemy heads with and swing like a golf club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every enemy is a yeti, a plant, or a shopkeeper. The shopkeepers are now plant-riding yetis with shotguns.

:shepspends:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2017/10/full-steam-release-adom-236-is-here.html

even more adom poo poo!!!! humans mad buffed, non-light healing spells have been buffed, there's some babby quests at the start to help direct new players, fighters got slightly buffed, targeting mode fixed, statues are no longer mysteriously invisible, a bunch of minor bug fixes! wow!!

e: noted already top tier class priests now guaranteed to start with a great spell too now lol

ugh, it's steam only, what the hell

(seriously, it's cool the game is on steam, but I paid quite a bit of money to get access to beta releases and now I would have to pay /again/ because only some of the beta releases are coming out DRM free)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Another big update can be seen in Shadow of the Wyrm v0.7.0---now with a bludgeoned together end game alongside a sweeping number of other improvements and additions. Each update gets it a fair bit closer to deepening a distinct identity for itself, while also gaining ground to stride alongside ADOM itself as an actual peer...

http://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/about.html

This sells me on apparently boating being a big factor. I think Wind Waker did something aberrant to me.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Unexplored continues to be amazing. It's one of the few roguelikes where I feel like using a wiki would seriously diminish the experience. So much of the enjoyment comes from finding books that give hints, buying hints before a run etc... After a while you do start to see the limits of it all but it really give a very nice feeling of discovery that I don't think I've really gotten out of many other games.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Cogmind:
What are the mechanics of the Molecular Deconstruction and/or the self destruct inhibitor?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

so I caved and bought Tangledeep and I so far I like it, kinda reminds me of Sproggiwood a bit.

Two things though: Is it possible to have the grid not move with the character and stay locked around the tiles(w/o just turning it off)? And should the banker really take the 200g fee if you cancel out or deposit 0g? Capitalism, Am I right? but it's pretty bad implementation.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Heffer posted:

Cogmind:
What are the mechanics of the Molecular Deconstruction and/or the self destruct inhibitor?

Self Destruct Inhibitor: As you may have noticed, Main.C robots that drop parts in caves have a special feature that fries the part after a few turns. The in-game logic is that the machines are ruining their parts so that derelict robots can't salvage it. If you find an inhibitor, drop it during a fight and it'll disable this self-destruct feature. This allows you to scavenge parts in caves after fights. The inhibitor only has finite charges and will eventually exhaust itself.

Molecular Deconstructor: If i recall correctly, this a rare weapon that inflicts entropic damage. I don't believe anything resists entropy. It's a damage over time effect that goes for the enemy's core, so it's the only weapon that rewards you for shooting an enemy and then hiding from it while the DoT effect does it work. Handy stuff, very good at killing hunters.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So after working on this little :effortless: project a little at a time for over a year between game development, I finally finished this Video Analysis of one of my favorite flawed rogue-lite gems, Noir Syndrome: A detective rogue-lite.
Consider it a Halloween treat! :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Y3PTbQ5J4

I lost my old mic about halfway through the making of this, so fair warning to the discrepency. I tried to clean it up as much as I could but I'm no audio engineer. :shrug: Nonetheless I'm pretty proud of how this fella turned out. Hope anyone potentially interested will find it interesting/useful! The game is on sale right now for less than $2.00 so now's the time to give it a shot if you're feeling lucky.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Noir syndrome is a fun little game, especially for 2 dollars.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm in a very tempted to buy games I won't play mood. What bonus stuff is in the paid version of ADOM besides tiles?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, consider that one sale you just got the game, Bert.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I gave KeeperRL a shot. Killed the tutorial humans, then did it again in the main game before managing to blunder away my shamans courtesy of a bandit flank. Fortunately there's no end of would-be recruits, so I killed the bandits with my three orcs, hired more orcs and another shaman, and went on to kill some dwarves. Then I figured that of the lesser villains in my influence range ants would be the easiest because hey, they're ants! After killing two tribes of bandits almost right next to each other, I found out the hard way ants poison and it's deadly all on its own. I did have a skeleton and a werewolf in my party by then, but I really needed a whole party of them rather than singlets if not potions too and didn't get a chance to recruit better troops before the ant queen and her entourage came knocking at my trapless door. 9/10 will definitely recruit smarter next game.

This sounds amazing but can I unionize my employees?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mithross posted:

ugh, it's steam only, what the hell

(seriously, it's cool the game is on steam, but I paid quite a bit of money to get access to beta releases and now I would have to pay /again/ because only some of the beta releases are coming out DRM free)

So did I but it wasn't too bad, there was a long period where we got a lot of exclusive beta builds, now they're focusing on the Steam version. Anyway, it sounds like they're going to do another proper release of the freeware version once they finish up the last few stretch goal bits.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

I'm in a very tempted to buy games I won't play mood. What bonus stuff is in the paid version of ADOM besides tiles?

tiles are in free version too. free version can't choose starsign though.

paid version is currently like 19 patches ahead and thus has the Tome of Donors, the Rolf's Questline, magic staves, some new potions and wands, UI changes (that still need some work), and a shitload of bugfix and minor balance stuff

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bert of the Forest posted:

So after working on this little :effortless: project a little at a time for over a year between game development, I finally finished this Video Analysis of one of my favorite flawed rogue-lite gems, Noir Syndrome: A detective rogue-lite.
Consider it a Halloween treat! :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Y3PTbQ5J4

I lost my old mic about halfway through the making of this, so fair warning to the discrepency. I tried to clean it up as much as I could but I'm no audio engineer. :shrug: Nonetheless I'm pretty proud of how this fella turned out. Hope anyone potentially interested will find it interesting/useful! The game is on sale right now for less than $2.00 so now's the time to give it a shot if you're feeling lucky.

Loved the Darryl Revok action.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

quote:

Two things though: Is it possible to have the grid not move with the character and stay locked around the tiles(w/o just turning it off)? And should the banker really take the 200g fee if you cancel out or deposit 0g? Capitalism, Am I right? but it's pretty bad implementation.

Banker thing - not correct, will fix :D Grid should be locked to the map yes. We're redoing it

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Should I buy ADOM?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

leekster posted:

Should I buy ADOM?

if you played and enjoyed the free version, go for it

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It'll be interesting to see how Biskup's half hour talk on the future of ADOM goes among all the others at the next Celebration:

https://roguelike.club/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Please buy ADOM, it's pretty cool/frustrating

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

vorebane posted:

This sounds amazing but can I unionize my employees?

What are you, some kind of commie? It's a proper feudal state with imp serfs, orc/ogre knights, vampires, and a keeper king. You can unionize the land under your rule alone though!

Another fun story: I found out vampires are incredibly badass when I tried using them. They very nearly break the game even because they have natural ranged defense, tons of natural attack power and defense, and to boot can train relatively high melee AND spellpower for one major downside of only being able to break them out at night and the minor problem that eventually will bring down any one vampire (undead in general really but who cares about zombies) which is limb injury. My story begins with my first vampire's presumed death; he lost one of his legs and started crawling, I kept trying to kill the dwarf in front of him and that bastard got the other leg. Then the dwarf knocked off my vampire's head and I was expecting that to be the end of my vamp. It was not, and I managed to not only get revenge on the dwarf that hosed up my premier unit but a second and possibly a third before my poor vampire finally bit the dust.

e: There is a way to control the minds of all your units at once including if you want the imps. That's kind of like a union, right?

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 1, 2017

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Any real reason to do standard mode first on ADOM instead of going straight to Hard (roguelike)?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Any real reason to do standard mode first on ADOM instead of going straight to Hard (roguelike)?

absolutely dont pick standard mode. i dont know why it exists. it'll give you dumbass talents taht dont make sense

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Another ADOM question. Keybinds mention "Ctrl+nd", what the hell is the nd key?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Not doing this as an insult, just being explicit.

Press keys in the following sequence
Press Ctrl
Press N
Release N
Release Ctrl
Press D
Release D

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Press Ctrl
Press N
Release N
Release Ctrl
Press D
Release D

Thanks. That is not how I parsed that string at all. I was reading it as hold ctrl for both n and d.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Press Ctrl
Press N
Release N
Release Ctrl
Press D
Release D

but why

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Those are the commands to gently caress with NotEye poo poo so they don't really need to be particularly convenient, unless you really like swapping between tiles and ascii over and over for some reason. At least it's not the default mincrafting command which is something stupid like ctrl-i.

e: i mean f10 is supposed to swap between tiles and ascii too i think, but holy hell is it crashing NotEye hard when i try it. loving NotEye. manually doing it through the ctrl-n command or ctrl-m menu works though so i dont know what biskup is doing

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

zirconmusic posted:

Banker thing - not correct, will fix :D Grid should be locked to the map yes. We're redoing it

Wow, that was fixed quick, now I just need to figure out how to stop dying with healing items in my inventory.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Hel posted:

so I caved and bought Tangledeep and I so far I like it, kinda reminds me of Sproggiwood a bit.

Seconded for immobile grid, although this is a minor nitpick.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I loving hate ADOM dead old and cold, so of course I'm going to wait for the actual fully updated and patched and finished release and I'll play again and goddamn win it again to spite its poorly put together rear end

Also yeah the Noteye stuff is confusing obtuse trash, I just play without tiles because I couldn't stand not seeing the entire level at once, and wish it went more for Cogmind style super pretty ascii. I mean, even the Tower and Chaos realms have some of that stuff, do more of that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How do I deal with scouts in Cogmind? Seems like every time they see me, I end up fighting a trooper sooner or later, and killing that trooper triggers an escalating spiral of more and more security forces sent to deal with me until I drop dead from attrition. Even with Alert(Purge) on every terminal I see I can't seem to escape that death spiral.

If I try to just ignore the troopers sent to chase me, I have to deal with waiting 0.5s-2s (per enemy!) in between each movement for the animations to play out as they shoot at me and that gets annoying really quickly.

Shooting the scouts doesn't accomplish much unless I have a targeting computer, and I'm pretty sure killing it just triggers an escalation in the alert level. I could hack it with a datajack if I can try to catch them. ECM Suites are pretty rare to find.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you have a transmission jammer, that'll let you deal with it if you can murder it before it escapes your jammer range.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chin Strap posted:

I was reading it as hold ctrl for both n and d.
this is the way any normal person would read it

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Awesome! posted:

this is the way any normal person would read it

"CTRL-N D" or "CTRL-N, D" would seem better ways to write that! I think emacs uses the former sort of notation for multi-step commands.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reflecting on one thing from Cogmind that interests me, coming from having played Crawl for years and developed for it for a short while: the opening level in the Scrapyard, where your Cogmind is naked and has to quickly assemble itself from scrap parts all around it then ascend to the lowest level in Materials.

This process is the exact same almost every single game, with the only real decisions you're making is whether to go with wheels/treads/legs. Crawl's manifesto would have pointed towards eliminating the Scrapyard portion of the game, or mixing it up so it varies every single playthrough (entrance vaults, randomized scrap parts, etc).

But the Scrapyard works quite well in Cogmind, it sets the tone and theme for the rest of the game, reinforcing the idea of "assemble a robot from everything all around you" through actual player actions and showing the thematics of rising from the junk heap up through the Complex as you try to escape. The real decisions come on Materials -10, messing with the scrapyard would have distracted from that, and eliminating it entirely obviously isn't desirable either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A game does not have to consist solely of ~meaningful decisions~ to be a good game. Atmosphere, pacing, tension, climaxes, etc. all contribute meaningfully to the play experience even if they don't necessarily manifest as decisions made by the player.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a tiny tiny bit of randomization. The available guns are picked from lasers, rifles and em beams in various sizes. And starting on very easy gives you points at the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

What are you, some kind of commie?

I just want create employment oppurtunities for the monster mafia, ok?