Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The average lifespan of generals seems laughably short. Even attaching them to my Avatar army got them killed, apparently they can get killed in combat even if the army doesn't die. I guess it rolls a chance to die whenever the army takes damage? It seems way too high right now. If anything they should probably have a chance to escape even if their army dies, because right now armies basically die like flies, even the tougher ones like psionic armies.

At least when you hit the energy surplus phase of the game you can basically hire and fire leaders until you get the trait you want pretty easily. More should probably be done with leaders though, I agree. I'm not sure I care about the roleplaying aspect of it (this game is all numbers to me), but there could be a lot of interesting things going on there that aren't. Some of the suggestions here are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hell maybe give Defender of the Galaxy a relations penalty with the galaxy at large until it happens. Let us be a civilization of Commander Shepards raving about the Reapers.

Ah yes, :turianass: "The Unbidden" :turianass:. We have dismissed those claims.

lol now I want to play a race of conspiracy theorists.

DARK MATTER CAN'T MELT CONTINENTS. THE DESTRUCTION OF ALDERAAN WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

That's awesome! In my one game on 2.0 the mongols ran into a fallen empire and got wrecked :( but I hope I one day will get to be space central europe saved from ruin by one dude's drinking problem.

Someone in my game pissed off a FE and caused them to wake up and annex them, which caused the xenophobe FE to wake up.

Shouldn't this trigger a war in heaven?

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 6, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I really like my awesome, super good idea of being able to start the galactic wonders/ringworlds earlier but them being a continual drain on resources until finished.

Taear posted:

Master of Nature is now good in my head because it adds something that nothing else can do and that's what I expect the perks to give.
Exactly. The ones that are just "Same as everyone else but better" just don't cut it, even if they're mechanically better. +10% research? Super good, but dull. +5% research and nobody can scavenge your tech? Strictly worse, but hell yeah I'll take that. +0% research, all your scientists gain Spark of Genius and Maniacal? I will take that immediately (though obviously they should all actually be equally mechanically good, dependent on circumstances and playstyle)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I kind of like that interpretation, but I think of it from a gameplay perspective. Specifically what ThatBasqueGuy said about "gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension perks". The whole point of having limited choices is to provide a meaningful consequence that ultimately makes the gameplay more enjoyable. I would argue that the current perk system does that in a relatively uneven fashion. Compare the significant gameplay experience associated with the Transcendence perk with anemic choices like Interstellar Dominion or Technological Ascendancy.
Yeah I totally agree. The intent behind the current setup seems to be that early game you get immediate stuff that makes you better, and late game you pick up literal game changers. But that's silly. It's obviously fine for the lower level perks to have less of an impact than the higher level ones, but they should all feel like a drastic change to your game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Broke: Fighting against the Khan and wasting men material and systems against the invincible hordes.

Woke: Immediately capitulating to the Khan even though you're on the other side of the galaxy to strengthen his fleets so he annihilates more potential rivals and then devouring the diadochi remnants (wiz do not fix binch)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Game just hardlocked when I tried to disband a fleet, because it kept thinking I wanted to add a corvette design that wasn't there anymore. :(

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure i understand exactly how evasion works so i have to ask here: Enigmatic Encoder (20% evasion) seems to straight up be the best defensive choice for the "A" slot, isn't it? Both 10% more shield and 20% sublight speed/10% evasion seems worse than 20% to not get hit at all.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dongattack posted:

I'm not sure i understand exactly how evasion works so i have to ask here: Enigmatic Encoder (20% evasion) seems to straight up be the best defensive choice for the "A" slot, isn't it? Both 10% more shield and 20% sublight speed/10% evasion seems worse than 20% to not get hit at all.

Evasion caps at 90%, so on corvettes you can probably hit the cap without it. For other ship classes, it's debatable whether you can overcome the innate tracking of the weapons of your enemies.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Magil Zeal posted:

Evasion caps at 90%, so on corvettes you can probably hit the cap without it. For other ship classes, it's debatable whether you can overcome the innate tracking of the weapons of your enemies.

Hmm yeah, that makes sense. Also it really should say that the cap is 90% in game :bahgawd:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

It struck me that Ascension picks should each have a pool of cool random events tied to them. Like how in EUIV taking financial can trigger inflation reduction events and such.

They could also unlock unique anomalies or new choices for existing ones.

stellaris just needs more events in general, and yeah ascension perks having idea-group-like event unlocks is a great idea.

the stellaris event engine is actually incredibly sophisticated compared to other paradox games, it's just kind of...not used for much except simple binary choices

Taear posted:

Some of the traits I find really useful. The one that increases my fleet cap is great because I'm lazy and hate building loads of messy starbases and interstellar dominion allows me to directly control more planets in a way that other things don't really allow. But +4 starbase cap, 10% research and etc just aren't enough to make them worth it.
Master of Nature is now good in my head because it adds something that nothing else can do and that's what I expect the perks to give.

mastery of nature is great regardless! unless you're just warring a ton, you should have plenty of influence during the midgame to spend on land clearance, and the extra tiles can be quite valuable.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2018

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

MShadowy posted:

It'd be kind of neat if you had Democracies behave somewhat more naturally with elections to fill stuff like governor positions as well, but I'm not sure how well that'd actually pan out.

Getting spammed by election events is exactly what the Victoria 3 mod needs.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So question, as a Hive Mind Devouring Swarm is there anything to dump energy into? Instead of energy edicts you have food edicts, and you can't communicate with the extra station guys to dump it there either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

stellaris just needs more events in general, and yeah ascension perks having idea-group-like event unlocks is a great idea.

the stellaris event engine is actually incredibly sophisticated compared to other paradox games, it's just kind of...not used for much except simple binary choices

Yeah there are some really good and interesting special chains here and there but 90% of events are boring. Almost all of them fall into one of three templates.

1) Hey we found some kind of poo poo on a planet. Should we spend 20 seconds researching it for a bonus?
--> Yes I want free resources.
No I don't want free resources.

2) Hey we found some funny lifeforms/drones in space. What should we do with them?
--> Study them for unknown effect.
Kill them for unknown effect.

3) Hey the trees on this planet are walking around and poo poo!
--> Please update me on this situation every 30 seconds until the end of the game.
Please update me on this situation every 30 seconds until the end of the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Question:
In my last game I was Fanatic Spiritualist and Egalitarian. I realized that a great way to be able to be "taller" is to be able to colonize every planet type, which can be facilitated by being Xenophile and attracting and indoctrinating/converting pops of other races. Do I miss out on any buildings or events if I drop fanatic Spiritualist to get basic Xenophile, or should I drop the Egalitarian bit instead? Or does it not make any functional difference?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Since it will always pull from your active leader pool this game is not terribly good at is simulating democracy in anything resembling an organic way. I do kind of recall a period of releases where it was actually better at it, since it would generate random civilians running for the rulers office; it probably got nixed because it likely broke the chain of having to expend influence to buy new leaders to fill whatever position got vacated.

It'd be kind of neat if you had Democracies behave somewhat more naturally with elections to fill stuff like governor positions as well, but I'm not sure how well that'd actually pan out.

i feel like the ultimate ideal for governors and related systems like sectors would be to have them work differently for different government types - dictatorships more or less use something like the current system, democracies and oligarchies elect governors who have their own goals and could lead sectors into rebellion due to ideological differences or taxation, empires have a feudal organization with dukes ruling sectors, who have their own heirs that take over when they die and also get very upset/rebellious if you remove things from their sector, tax them too heavily, etc.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Spiritualist is the easiest way to go psionic.

The best way to be able to colonize every planet type would be robots, but a close second is using the gene mod tech that lets you change your race's preferred environs. That way you can have full habitability on every biome.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I don't think there are any buildings that require fanatic spiritualist (or fanatic anything), and I don't know about any events either. You just miss out on some unity and edict cost reduction. The more important effect is probably on your factions, but egalitarian factions are easy to keep happy if you're not slaving/resettling so that shouldn't be a problem.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jazerus posted:

mastery of nature is great regardless! unless you're just warring a ton, you should have plenty of influence during the midgame to spend on land clearance, and the extra tiles can be quite valuable.

I have so much energy it's just not worth it, clearing is easy and I don't need to do it early.

The one about not being able to scan your tech seems useless to me too unless you're playing multiplayer. The AI never seems to be scanning me anyway!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Spiritualist is the easiest way to go psionic.

The best way to be able to colonize every planet type would be robots, but a close second is using the gene mod tech that lets you change your race's preferred environs. That way you can have full habitability on every biome.
Yeah I want to start a new game as Spiritualist again because I want to do something familiar that was fun, but improve it, hence sticking with Spiritualist in one form. I'm just not sure on:
1.) What I would lose by going from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic Spiritualist to pick up Xenophile
2.) What I would lose by dropping Egalitarian to take Xenophile
3.) How gene modding works/how much of a headache it is

My factions in my last game essentially prevented me from having robots at all, which was a slight disappointment, but the bonuses from being Psionic were nice and having a ton of Unity income was cool.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After reading the last dozen or so pages, it seems like the game could use a general adjustment so that the endgame is more "begin rising to early FE status" than simply "build up to survive crises/awakened empires". Like several of you have said, ascendancy perks that substantially change and enhance your empire and colossi/megastructures that can be reasonably finished and used within the active conquest of the galaxy and not just as endnotes on your inevitable domination would go a long way towards achieving that feeling of real galactic ascendancy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I want to start a new game as Spiritualist again because I want to do something familiar that was fun, but improve it, hence sticking with Spiritualist in one form. I'm just not sure on:
1.) What I would lose by going from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic Spiritualist to pick up Xenophile

My factions in my last game essentially prevented me from having robots at all, which was a slight disappointment, but the bonuses from being Psionic were nice and having a ton of Unity income was cool.

egalitarian/xenophile/x is quite strong because you end up attracting loads of migrants. just dump a robot on a poor habitability planet, sign a migration treaty with a species that likes that category of planet, and wait a bit - somebody will move in, and then you can disassemble the robot if you're spiritualist so that your faction doesn't hate you.

egalitarian rebels can also defect to egalitarian empires, which is a fun way to gain a planet while making the nasty authoritarian parent empire very upset with you

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Is it just me, or does the tradition cost math not actually work out?

(100+3678)*(1+.2+2.6+.75) = 17189.9, not 19725. That's not a massive difference, but it's not trivial, either.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Agh, forgot to attach the bloody picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The only thing you lose from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic is the +10% unity. There might be some stuff here and there, and your factions aren't as aligned to spirituality, but nothing major. I don't really play egalitarians so I'm not sure what all will poof from that option.

Gene modding is basically "add species template" followed by "spend society research for X months". You can select it on a per-planet basis, so it isn't too much of a headache these days. See: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Population_modification

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Is it just me, or does the tradition cost math not actually work out?

(100+3678)*(1+.2+2.6+.75) = 17189.9, not 19725. That's not a massive difference, but it's not trivial, either.

Strudel Man posted:

I believe the Tradition cost scaling per "Adopted Tradition Category" is multiplicative and not additive. And I believe it's intended to be so, unlike before. Though it's not very clear from the tooltip.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jazerus posted:

i feel like the ultimate ideal for governors and related systems like sectors would be to have them work differently for different government types - dictatorships more or less use something like the current system, democracies and oligarchies elect governors who have their own goals and could lead sectors into rebellion due to ideological differences or taxation, empires have a feudal organization with dukes ruling sectors, who have their own heirs that take over when they die and also get very upset/rebellious if you remove things from their sector, tax them too heavily, etc.

I love this and have made similar suggestions in the past, but it runs into the issue that the ruler creates sectors. Ideally I’d marry it up with a redesigned map creation that makes clusters of highly connected stars as “constellations” with fewer connections between them (i.e. the thing I think we all wanted 0.75 hyperlanes to be) and then gives an efficiency bonus for making sectors which cover whole constellations. Should make for more sensible sector layouts and more interesting internal politics.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Strudel Man posted:

(3778*1.2)*(1+2.6+.75) =19721

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

I believe the Tradition cost scaling per "Adopted Tradition Category" is multiplicative and not additive. And I believe it's intended to be so, unlike before. Though it's not very clear from the tooltip.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

(3778*1.2)*(1+2.6+.75) =19721
Ah, well there we go then.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

What I vehemently and vociferously hate about it is that it is binary. Either you have a leader, or you dont. With each of the things that require (or are better with leaders) in Stellaris (Armies, Navies, governors, heads of state, science ships, and research) what the gently caress is going on if you dont have a leader? Is it a Benny Hill skit going on in the Bridge of your flagship? Paradox the Developer has been doing the same old played-out system since EU1 with leaders and they need to update it to something modern. Leader Pools need to be larger and more diverse. Why isnt it an interesting choice, where the cost of recruiting the leader is a calculation of their age, skill level, and number of and quality of additional talents? Instead we get "One guy who is middle aged and eager to join, one guy who is young and has a useless trait, and an old guy with a useful skill that you dont really need right now though" and it is just so stale. Or why isnt it a system that every leadership position has a pool of many (up to a dozen) randomly generated choices that slowly changes over time (running with the assumption that the pool changes over time as people retire, switch careers, or die instead of the bullcrap we have right now where its the same options forever). These choices would let you pick between an older guy who is talented but will be expensive and also may keel over at any moment, or a guy in the middle of the pack who is less expensive but has some talent to work with, or a green guy who is cheaper to recruit but doesnt have much to work with just yet. Right now I think its dumb that you pay the same regardless of skill or talent level, and the pool you get to pull from is always so small.

I tried to read this several times, but I still don't quite get what you want. Guessing carefully: A more detailed leader system, maybe? Well, why not. Most of your complaints are moot, though: For one, the leader ship pool does change, because occasionally people in it just disappear and are replaced by new ones. You are also not always paying the same, the eager green guys without any extra talent cost only half as much, for example. Of course, a couple sentences before that you complained about this very thing, so maybe you're not really sure what you want yourself?

It would really help if you go back and proofread your post, with all the conflicting and sometimes wrong stuff in it I found it barely readable.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, well there we go then.

Good old Paradox math.

I always 'liked' it in EU, when you'd get the option of doing something like paying some heavy cost to "Increase tax efficiency by 2%". Hardly seems worth it.

Except... hidden away on the income screen is the fact that your current 'tax efficiency' is only 1%, so adding 2% makes it 3% and triples your monthly tax income. :lol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

I tried to read this several times, but I still don't quite get what you want. Guessing carefully: A more detailed leader system, maybe? Well, why not. Most of your complaints are moot, though: For one, the leader ship pool does change, because occasionally people in it just disappear and are replaced by new ones. You are also not always paying the same, the eager green guys without any extra talent cost only half as much, for example. Of course, a couple sentences before that you complained about this very thing, so maybe you're not really sure what you want yourself?

It would really help if you go back and proofread your post, with all the conflicting and sometimes wrong stuff in it I found it barely readable.
I can see how that post a was a bit scattershot. I am at work and was trying to not be too wordy and I kinda failed and had multiple ideas presented in one space.

What we get right now:
You have an open scientist slot... <Click recruit leader button>
1.) Jim Joe Bob | age 25 | Eager skill | cost: 100 Energy
2.) Benny Hill | age 60 | +25 Age cap skill | cost: 100 Energy
3.) Frederick Wester | age 48 | Maniacal | cost: 100 Energy

What I would like the most:
You have an open scientist slot...one has automatically been generated and has been assigned for free. This leader is relatively unremarkable but if they stay in this position they may develop into something remarkable. It is better than no leader but there are other options out there. <Click here to review potential candidates for this position>
1.) Wiz | age 35 | Genius skill, Dedicated skill | cost: 140 Energy
2.) Johan | age 50 | Genius skill, Stubborn skill | cost: 110 Energy
3.) DDR Jake | age 30 | Eager skill, Likes New Mana Bars skill | cost: 130 Energy
4.) QA Intern | age 22 | Young skill | cost: 75 energy
5.) Senior Dev | age 45 | Maniacal skill | cost: 100 Energy
6.) Junior Dev | age 25 | Dutiful Researcher skill | cost 90 Energy
7.) Self-taught Dev | age 30 | Strong Work Ethic skill | cost 85 Energy
8.) Junior Dev | age 26 | Stubborn skill | cost 65 Energy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there a pastebin version of the goon race pack? Or doesn't the mod disable achievments?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

The only thing you lose from Fanatic Spiritualist to basic is the +10% unity. There might be some stuff here and there, and your factions aren't as aligned to spirituality, but nothing major. I don't really play egalitarians so I'm not sure what all will poof from that option.

Gene modding is basically "add species template" followed by "spend society research for X months". You can select it on a per-planet basis, so it isn't too much of a headache these days. See: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Population_modification
Thank you for sharing this!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZypherIM posted:

Extremely Adaptable (+20%) Cyborgs (+20%) - minimum of 60% which you can make up in techs.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

How are you glassing planets if you are fanatically peaceful?

I don't consider a "peaceful planetary shielding" colossus to be fundamentally different from smashing a planet like a baseball into the sun. Also, it's Fanatically Authoritarian with a dash of peaceful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How are you glassing planets if you are fanatically peaceful?

Encasing in glass counts as "glassing" right.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

What I would like the most:
You have an open scientist slot...one has automatically been generated and has been assigned for free. This leader is relatively unremarkable but if they stay in this position they may develop into something remarkable. It is better than no leader but there are other options out there. <Click here to review potential candidates for this position>
1.) Wiz | age 35 | Genius skill, Dedicated skill | cost: 140 Energy
2.) Johan | age 50 | Genius skill, Stubborn skill | cost: 110 Energy
3.) DDR Jake | age 30 | Eager skill, Likes New Mana Bars skill | cost: 130 Energy
4.) QA Intern | age 22 | Young skill | cost: 75 energy
5.) Senior Dev | age 45 | Maniacal skill | cost: 100 Energy
6.) Junior Dev | age 25 | Dutiful Researcher skill | cost 90 Energy
7.) Self-taught Dev | age 30 | Strong Work Ethic skill | cost 85 Energy
8.) Junior Dev | age 26 | Stubborn skill | cost 65 Energy

You could also have some leaders (presumably older ones) start at a higher level.

A smaller change that would still be a nice QoL thing would be letting you swap leaders. So if you clicked your physics guy to switch to another guy with the relevant specialty to a new tech you're researching, if the other guy was already assigned elsewhere the popup would ask you if you want to assign the original physics guy to where the new one used to be. Having to hunt down the right science ship in the outliner is annoying.

Also, I haven't used a single general in 2.0 yet, and I've never had more than two governors, one for the core sector and the other for the non-core sector. They should probably do something to encourage you to have more than one huge sector. I always just end up having up to five admirals, to governors, and a growing collection of scientists with different specialties (who also provide unity with assist research, and also some science if I've bothered to make sure the planet actually has any labs). It feels pretty silly.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've been trying to make a democratic crusader kind of empire but the militarist faction is really bugging me. I wish their agendas were more about gunboat diplomacy kind of stuff, like having at least 1 titan in your navy, building up to 90% of the forcelimit, allowing military service from all citizens, etc, and a lot less "kill everyone, everywhere, all the time, always, forever". Now that you can only rival empires that directly border you, and only if they're not too strong or weak, it seems like the longer the game goes on the harder it is to keep them happy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

You are also not always paying the same, the eager green guys without any extra talent cost only half as much, for example.
That reminds me, I was thinking about how the fiction behind the hiring process is slightly weird now that it's energy credits. When it was influence based it was kind of open ended as to how it worked. Now? You're giving some scientist a one time payment of one-fifth the monthly output of an entire star in return for them working for you unto death.

This came to mind after I kept extending my leaders' lifespans over and over until I ultimately rendered them into immortal machines and they, presumably, realised 200 energy / infinity years is a considerably different lifestyle to the 200 energy / 100ish years they'd initially budgeted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Maybe the energy is just funding all the research grants and scholarships it takes to percolate up a scientist of that caliber.